• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
owl-otbanner.png

Welcome to the official thread for discussing the newest DTV animated series, The Owl House. Created and executive-produced by Dana Terrace (former storyboard artist on "Gravity Falls" and was a director on "DuckTales"), "The Owl House" is an animated fantasy-comedy series that follows Luz, a self-assured teenage girl who stumbles upon a portal to a magical realm where she befriends a rebellious witch, Eda, and a tiny demon warrior, King. Despite not having magical abilities, Luz pursues her dream of becoming a witch by serving as Eda's apprentice at the Owl House and ultimately finds a new family in an unlikely setting.

The show has already been greenlit for a second season, and is in production now.

- After the principal airing, you can view each episode online via DisneyNOW and VOD cable services (sometimes a day early).
- You can also purchase HD episodes via iTunes, Google Play and Youtube TV the next day.
- The first episode will debut in Canada on Family Channel on January 12th.
- It's been confirmed that the show will debut on Disney+ some 30 odd days after the season finale airs.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:

tumblr_pt7cx2IAp91w0dda2o7_500.gifv

Luz Noceda | Voice Actor: Sarah-Nicole Robles
The show follows Luz, a 14 year-old girl from our world who one day finds a portal that transports her to the Demon Realm, a land populated by all sorts of magical creatures with a town located in the remains of a dead titan. Luz decides to make her dream come true of becoming a witch by attending the local witchcraft school. This proves to be difficult due to Luz's lack of magical abilities as well as the demons being very prejudiced towards humans which forces Luz to hide her identity.

tumblr_pt7tmaIyM11w0dda2o1_500.gifv

Eda "The Owl Lady" | Voice Actor: Wendie Malick
Eda lives in the titular Owl House on the cliff outside the town and runs a stand at the market place where she sells objects found in the human world, which the inhabitants of the Demon Realm consider mysterious. We soon learn that Eda, due to her rebellious nature, is pretty much an outcast in town. She's also the type of teacher that "not only will throw you into the deep water but also will set the entire lake on fire".

8d68530a0362742d5f67735c6403c8abc61aab1d.gif

King | Voice Actor: Alex Hirsch
King was the powerful master of all demons, now trapped in a small, cute, furry body, who feels a bit like a mix of Cubone and Lucy from Disenchantment. He lives with Eda in the Owl House.

tumblr_puwzpx1gaJ1wgxt03o1_500.gifv

The Hexside Academy students:

Willow | Voice Actor: Tati Gabrielle
Described as "a bubbly and friendly witch" on the Disney Press site, Willow appears to specialize in plant-based magic and/or botany.

Gus | Voice Actor: Issac Ryan Brown
Not much is known about Gus, other than him being "a young and precocious witch". Gives off a bit of a Beast-Boy (Teen Titans) vibe. Will he prove to be just as annoying to his peers?

Amity Blight | Voice Actor: Mae Whitman
Amity is another student at Hexside and specializes in magical "abominations". She is very particular and can get flustered if things don't go her way. She tries to be prickly but is a softy at heart. The Disney site describes her as a "bright and competitive witch". A potential magical rival for Luz.

PRINCIPAL LOCATIONS INFORMATION:

361fff5fe371625d693854d6bb177f1c6cde227e.jpg

The Owl House:
The Owl House is a living structure that Eda has charmed so that she could live there and be safe from outside forces. Quaint and cottage-like on the outside, with a storefront facade, the inside of the Owl House is full of secret rooms, with a labyrinth for a basement. Hooty, the door knocker, serves as the home's defense system.

474bc34c967e19453b520a97b889355fa29d5a1d.jpg

The Boiling Isles:
Most of the series takes place on the Boiling Isles, formed from the bones of an ancient, giant Titan.

c6166e06cb5d6246178dd42f82fa23fecd89e30d.jpg

Bonesborough:
Bonesborough is a lively town in the Boiling Isles filled with creatures, witches, ghosts and monsters.

cf8ecbe42f504805d57a84250d4b74a883f4a917.jpg

Luz's Room:
Once a storage closet, now a comfy hideout. Luz has made this room her own with the few possessions she brought from the human realm - and lots of Eda's stuff.

7bf94bac7e99bd13def2fbc4586cb511cdd17b9a.jpg

Hexside Academy of Magic and Demonics:
Hexside Academy of Magic and Demonics is a prestigious high school for witches, demons and magic folk.

9b89bd5a71d14bc3f41b010db31dcb2c3ae8b968.jpg

Witch Arena:
Witch Arena is a gathering place located on the most mysterious part of the Boiling Isles: the Knee. Set within the ruins of a castle, groups will meet here for rituals and social functions.

86d54eb717c2af42811e0ef820fc5b7ccc5941be.jpg

The Covention Center:
The Covention Center is an arena for magical entertainment and competition. It is the site of the annual COVENTION, in which the covens of the Isles vie for new recruits.

69b164646a63321a8c8613c5cf0bdbdac0b16e05.jpg

The Playground:
The Playground is in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Bonesborough. It is a popular destination for kindergarteners, their parents and King.

34bd2f6869a06bea973ed6ff65ea750519c01f38.jpg

The Conformatorium:
The Conformatorium is a heavily-guarded prison. It was built to hold dissident witches, demons and oddballs who are too weird (even for the Boiling Isles).

16582fa23a3277d1dd240a7f2874878b95387a3a.jpg

The Library:
The Library is a hulking structure that is home to the largest collection of magical books on the Boiling Isles.

Did You Know?
It was stated that the main reference point for the architecture in the series was from the work of Belgian painter Charles Leickert and the other artistic inspirations were drawn from the work of Dutch painter Hieronymus Bosch, Russian illustrator Ivan Bilibin and Spanish artist Remedios Varo.

owl-mediabanner.png

Official Trailer:

Other videos:
Opening Title Sequence
NYCC Sneak Peek
Promo Vid 1
Promo Vid 2
The World of Owl House!

owl-listbanner.png

These are all the Season 1 episodes we currently know about. I assume the show will go into hiatus in late March and we'll get another 10 or so episodes at a later date. It is confirmed each episode is the standard 22-minute length and will (so far) be aired weekly on Fridays. Only the first episode is confirmed to air @ 8:45pm (Dana says this is due to a show marathon that airs beforehand), following episodes may air at a different time. This section of the OT will be periodically updated as new episode titles and synopsii are made available.

Episode 1 - A Lying Witch and a Warden (January 10, 2020)
When 14-year-old outcast Luz discovers a portal to a new world, she meets a witch named Eda, and a demon named King; in order to get home, Luz has to help them with a mission.

Episode 2 - Witches Before Wizards (January 17, 2020)
When an ancient wizard gives Luz a map for a mystical quest, she wonders if she is actually a Chosen One.

Episode 3 - I Was a Teenage Abomination (January 24, 2020)
Luz sneaks into the local magic school to help a friend and makes a new enemy in the process.

Episode 4 - The Intruder (January 31, 2020)
Luz and King must defend The Owl House from a mysterious intruder.

Episode 5 - Covention (February 7, 2020)
Luz learns about witch covens, but her lesson goes awry when she finds herself thrust into a witch's duel.

Episode 6 - Hooty's Moving Hassle (February 21, 2020)
When Luz, Willow and Gus accidentally animate the Owl House, the house runs amok around Bonesborough.

Episode 7 - Lost in Language (February 28, 2020)
While checking out the library, Luz's pranks lead to unintended consequences.

Episode 8 - Once Upon a Swap (March 6, 2020)
A simple disagreement leads to a complex situation when Eda, King and Luz triple-down on a wager.

Episode 9 - Something Ventured, Someone Framed (March 13, 2020)
When Gus sneaks Luz into Hexside School to present at the Human Appreciation Society, Luz sees a side of the school she didn't expect.

Episode 10 - Escape of the Palisman (March 20, 2020)
When an adventure with Eda's staff goes awry, Luz and her friends have to earn the staff back from a mysterious forest creature or lose it forever.

Promo art for tonight's debut episode via Dana Terrace:
03a4490e22f0fcfa83e479801890f44609254cdb.png

assorted NYCC2019 panel quotes, so nice I had to post about them twice:

"Luz is completely cut off from the real world. Any part of her culture that she brings is directly tied to her mother and how her mother influences Luz's life" ------ @DanaTerrace

"Stories are compelling when there's high stakes. They're compelling when there are villains and there's peril. Sometimes parents worry about the peril But kids LOVE peril. It's cool that Disney is allowing part of its brand to bring this into it." ----- @_AlexHirsch

"Owls have a reputation for being wise, but owls are actually dumb. They're STUPID. And I thought that was the funniest thing in the world. They look so smart and soulful. But they're just dumb as hell. I thought that was great." --- @DanaTerrace on why an Owl?

"They were a little concerned when they found out the entire show takes place on the bones of a dead body. I said it's cool, it's a fantasy world, it's not a human body." ----- @DanaTerrace says on Standards and Practices

Last edited:

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Been looking forward to this. Fingers crossed it is good. Disney has been on fire lately animation wise.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
can't wait to check this out tonight!

the countdown artwork the creator's been posting to her social media is pretty dope

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Just watched the first episode. It was pretty good. I liked all the world building and the characters are fun. Moves a little too fast for my liking though. Pacing was rapid fire.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Not a spoiler, but I really, really, really like the lead, even more than Anne from Amphibia. And Anne is hard to beat.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
"Self-doubt is a prison you can never escape from."

Also, did another studio or team handle the action frames/animation? Reminds me of the difference between the normal scenes and Takafumi Tori's scenes in Steven Universe The Movie.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Dana Terrace is out there doing some pretty cool game/animu fanart and incredibly unsettling cartoon drawings. I'm super looking forward to this, her style is great.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Just watched it on YouTube. Think this might be my favorite Disney Cartoon since Gravity Falls. I haven't really been a fan of many of these new age cartoons this past decade but this one seems to have a little something extra and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering when this would come up again. I really like the character designs. Eda is giving me some space pirate Ryoko vibes

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Enjoyed the first episode. But what a strange time slot to watch it live (8:45-ish?). Looking forward to the world building!

I just hope it drops on Disney+ soon.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, did another studio or team handle the action frames/animation? Reminds me of the difference between the normal scenes and Takafumi Tori's scenes in Steven Universe The Movie.
I don't know if another studio did but Spencer Wan (known for Netflix Castlevania) was animation supervisor on season 1 at least, which is probably why the action scenes have nice animation. Dana Terrace is also a great animator herself, and for example animated Bill's death scene in Gravity Falls' series finale.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I liked that first episode. It definitely felt like a mix of Star vs. and Amphibia at points, but I think it has more solid grounding than those series started out with.

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Promo featuring brief scenes from upcoming episodes:

Enjoyed the first episode. But what a strange time slot to watch it live (8:45-ish?). Looking forward to the world building!

I just hope it drops on Disney+ soon.
Might have to get used to it. The above clip doesn't even give a time for next Friday's showing, just a vague "after a new Gabby Duran" statement. I checked TVGuide.com, and that show is scheduled to air at 8:24pm Friday (Owl House will follow at 8:46pm). Their whole schedule is off kilter.

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope each episode for the season is a full 22 minute long episode, rather than 11 minute long mini-episodes like Steven Universe or Star Vs The Forces of Evil. Really enjoyed the pilot, reminds me a lot of Gravity Falls!

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutley love it. Alex Hirsch's character is great. Super cute, has a huge self importance all bark and no bite.

They keep putting importance on the key, like it's the only way in and out of the Boiling Isles. I assume there will be a plot point of losing the key somewhere down the road.

I get huge Grunkle-Stan vibes from the main witch character and I absolutely love it.

Definitely on my list of things to watch. I cant wait for the next couple of episodes.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
This looks really good!
How is this not releasing on Disney+ simultaneously?

People have been jumping ship due to lack of new content; here's new weekly content and it's not currently on the streaming service.

smh

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Liked the pilot but I know more central plot stuff is going to kick in. Especially with the exes coming into play.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Promo featuring brief scenes from upcoming episodes:

Might have to get used to it. The above clip doesn't even give a time for next Friday's showing, just a vague "after a new Gabby Duran" statement. I checked TVGuide.com, and that show is scheduled to air at 8:24pm Friday (Owl House will follow at 8:46pm). Their whole schedule is off kilter.

Heh! I wondered about that!
I was worried it would affect DVR recording more than anything. But after checking, the recording wasn't offset by the weird schedule.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the witch voice sounds very familiar

Then i found out it's Bojack horseman mom and it makes sense

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
A lot more promising start than Amphibia.

Really nice animated action and Luz is really sweet.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Alex Hirsch is a national treasure. I love that the series blends horror with humor. Some anime shoutouts (Luz does AMVs, jail girl loves fanfiction) and the fact that King is a
chunni.
I just wish that the show didn't beat the audience over the head with the whole
being different is cool.
Also, why would a world of monsters be concerned with
conformity?

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
The first ep was not what i was expecting plot wise, and the world was a little simplistic but i adored the three mains and cant wait for more to come.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First episode was fun

The pacing was a bit too fast but I imagine it will slow down a bit in future episodes.

I love Eda, especially because she reminds me of characters like Haruko from FLCL or Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
King is a character that is made for me. Burger Queen of my heart. The show's also got a good, cute message.