• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

Reminder that a new episode airs tomorrow @ 8:45pm and available all-day on DisneyNOW and other VOD cable services.

Episode 2 - Witches Before Wizards (January 17, 2020)
When an ancient wizard gives Luz a map for a mystical quest, she wonders if she is actually a Chosen One.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

Reminder that a new episode airs tomorrow @ 8:45pm and available all-day on DisneyNOW and other VOD cable services.

Episode 2 - Witches Before Wizards (January 17, 2020)
When an ancient wizard gives Luz a map for a mystical quest, she wonders if she is actually a Chosen One.

Do you need cable to watch stuff on Disney now?

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Do you need cable to watch stuff on Disney now?
While I think you can watch the first episode for free, pretty sure new Owl House episodes will be locked when they first go up (and unlocked some time later for all... in the U.S.). You'll need a cable subscription to view them (or a online TV streaming service package that includes The Disney Channel like Hulu or Sling).

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
EOgwj_cWsAIgn9h.jpg:small

she must of had that mug for years...

short promo for next week's episode:

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 was good. Nice that they got the "you're not the chosen one" stuff out of the way (though still a chance they pull a Naruto and do it anyway). Glad the villains are retaining a nice level of menace and creepiness.

I like the sword design, so it's a shame it's just a toy, albeit one that's sharp enough to use as an actual sword. Maybe Luz will get an actual one that looks like it later. Speaking of which, lots of "they aren't human so it's fine to maim and kill them" between this and Infinity Train.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Episode 2 was good. Nice that they got the "you're not the chosen one" stuff out of the way (though still a chance they pull a Naruto and do it anyway). Glad the villains are retaining a nice level of menace and creepiness.

I like the sword design, so it's a shame it's just a toy, albeit one that's sharp enough to use as an actual sword. Maybe Luz will get an actual one that looks like it later. Speaking of which, lots of "they aren't human so it's fine to maim and kill them" between this and Infinity Train.

After seeing the gruesome deaths of the antagonists from Infinity Train, the Puppeteer's death seem tame in comparison.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was able to watch both episodes back-to-back, so here are my impressions (with spoilers, of course):

• I assume Episode 1 must've been the pilot episode to present/sell to the Disney executives for the series to get picked up, as it suffers from packing in way too much with little time to properly pace itself. (The events taking place at the Conformatory could've been a standalone episode, for example.)
  • As much as I've enjoyed the pilot episode to The Owl House, the episode had gone overboard with hammering it's overarching theme of "Fighting against being a Conformist" without a counterbalance to make it pay off. Really, I hope the show will lead to a point where Luz kind of understands that while it's alright to be different, it shouldn't give her an excuse to act out in public and terrorize everyone around her (and not in a way where it's a Black and White divide of WEIRD=GOOD, CONFORMING=BAD! It's never that simple).
  • The three main characters are all equally charming, and we did get a nice introduction to the world the series takes place in. Eda is easily the standout character out of the three, and she looks and behaves exactly like Ryoko from 'Tenchi Muyo' (but is in her late-40's & is a more laid-back character). Luz's enthusiasm is infectious and can be a sweet kid, but I need more time to warm up to her after how off-putting she was earlier in the episode. King is slowly growing on me, in part of Alex Hirsch voicing the character and his vocal delivery is making this little dork a lovable little bastard.
  • In contrast, Episode 2 had fixed a number of issues that I had with the pilot, in part of how it torn apart the ol' fantasy trope of "Self-Entitled Chosen One" narrative she began telling herself (probably to help compensate her real-life shortcomings). Really, this uncanny, magical world isn't tailor-made to her expectations, and she won't be handed everything she wants because of some predetermined destiny. Nah, this kid is going to have to work for everything, albeit probably in a more honest way than Eda. (I don't see Luz becoming a Snake Oil merchant.)

Yeah, I love Episode 2 more than the pilot, and I want to see where that trio will go to down the road.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I think I'm enjoying the show so far - maybe more than my kids, who seem to be varying degrees of disinterested.

We just finished rewatching Gravity Falls, which makes King an odd little character as Hirsch is using his Bill voice. Hooty is great, though.

I'd like to see more of the world, and I'd imagine that will happen as the show progresses. They're in this strange and bizarre land and all we've seen of it so far are a handful of odd looking characters and a montage in the city delivering potions. The puppet demon was great, need more stuff like that. And it would be fantastic if Eda eats every creature they defeat.

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
36392d933e5130df8f36f3a84ce162305d2bf65f.jpg

Reminder that a new episode airs tomorrow night @ 8:45pm and on Video OnDemand services all day:

Episode 3 - I Was a Teenage Abomination (January 24, 2020)
Luz sneaks into the local magic school to help a friend and makes a new enemy in the process.

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
EPEr5REXsAYpyII.jpg:small

Man, getting banned on your first day. That's a record. So, the question is: was she banned as an abomination or did they suss out who she was and banned "Luz the Human"? If the latter you'd think they would have made more of a stink about it.

So I guess Luz won't be attending the magic school after all and will effectively be "home-schooled" with Eda? We know she'll continue interacting with the students thanks to the new episode descriptions and promos... but she should probably give the academy another try once she gets some actual magic experience.

Curiously, they aired another one of those "Look Hooo's Talking" segments with the live owls after the episode and brought up the fact that the academy uniform colors hint at what "track" each student trains in. We only know of two (Abominations = pink, Plant magic = green) but there are several more colors seen on other students. Should be interesting.

Other viewers have pointed out the strange runes that have been showing up in each episode:
f23fc4efe02b6969e285fcb91c8a27a34e01886f.png

4a869ecf9e5992d61f4f254c3f091ea0471394e5.png

915924d7207e4f54705192d2ce5b87072367107a.png

as well as this blatant bit here in the school that shares similar symbols:
205db87cd9f8bbf288e2f4c5fbc77d3d666ab2c5.png

So I guess that's a thing that viewers can obsess about on the side...

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode that gave me The Worst Witch vibes. Luz is so much fun. Eda's mugs are great.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I Was a Teenage Abomination
This was pretty fun. I'm a sucker for magic school stories that focus on female characters. Glad that the magic school is being left open for serious world building, as opposed to being used for a joke or just being a normal school.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Episode 3 was pretty fun, but I was expecting Luz to be home schooled by Eda. It was great to see Eda not swooping in to bail out Luz out like in prior episodes, and seeing Luz trying to fix her own mess was fun to watch. I'm very interested to learn more about Eda being a magic school dropout, as I believe there is history there with her & that principle (prior to the start of the series). Amity and Willow were great additions, but I need another episode with Gus in the spotlight before judging how much he adds to the dynamic of the core cast.

I hope Amity will become less antagonistic as the season progresses. She seems heavily inspired by Little Witch Academia's Diana, who followed a similar path of being introduced as a snobby Top Honours student taking delight with making our protagonist feel like an idiot.... But you quickly realize that she isn't the top student for nothing and is helpful to have around (along with being much more sensible). Yes, she was mean to Willow at the start of the episode, but she & Luz were cheating and & doesn't excuse them to be cheaters.

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
On-time reminder that a new episode airs tonight @ 8:45pm on The Disney Channel and available now on DisneyNOW and cable on-demand services.

Episode 4 - The Intruder (January 31, 2020)
Luz and King must defend The Owl House from a mysterious intruder.

careful with spoilers on this one, is all I'm going to say for now...

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
This show continues to be extremely charming. With episodes 3 and 4, we're really starting to get into the world building.

Anyone else notice that the illustrations in King's demon book seem heavily inspired by Monster Hunter?

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
feel like the show is getting better with each episode- the animation continues to be really good

eda's clearly the best character on the show tho, like not even a contest,,,

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Really cool episode. That chase scene reminded me a bit of spirited away.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Good episode. I'm surprised they gave a path to Luz learning actual magic. I'm consistently impressed by the show having actual threatening threats.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm calling it right now: Eda's backstory will not only be tragic, whoever placed that curse on her is going to be a big bad of this series. Really, Eda just got a lot more interesting and she seems to be the star of the show.

Also, it's cool to see Luz seems to be a natural at sorcery, and that moment when her phone had captured the complete incantation of that light orb spell seems to be a hint at how magic was once performed (before it somehow became "compartmentalized"), so I'm intrigued where this series is going.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to say that I just finished the webcomic Strong Female Protagonist, which is fantastic and you all should check out.

I then realized that the writer is now working on The Owl House, which makes me even more excited for the stories they could tell down the line.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
That makes five solid episodes in a row. I'm glad they're playing La Hermana de Eda as a serious character, rather than making a joke out of it. (La Hermana is a reference to the El Hermano de Jiren meme from Dragon Ball Super).

And looks like we have a breakout ship already.
b33e5eddcdabde9dd3f98e72dd27eaad36e68dec.jpg

One reply on that blog mentions Luz X Amity is the main reason they're watching the show, and I'm like, Jesus, she was only in one episode as of this comic's posting, lol

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The animation in the Eda vs Lilith fight could rival some Japanese sakuga.

I hope this show is around for the long haul.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Why do the coven look suspicious like high school clubs from anime.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Man, that witch's duel really reminded me of Avatar, in terms of creative use of magic. Giant stone Hootie is actually kinda terrifying. And I just can't get over how good this show looks. The art is just so incredibly pleasant to look at and the character designs are fantastic.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
Ok caught up on the episodes so time to unpack.

The Abomination episode was good and while Ammity was being needlessly catty and condescending, she WAS right about the cheating and the episode made some distinction that she took witchcraft seriously and not just to rub it into people's faces. The fact that Luz got outed as a human likely means that Ammitty was let off so that point is done.

The next two episodes made it clear that humans can't do magic due to lacking innate mana like Magi-humans have which means that they can't cast magic from personal mana reserves and instead need to draw from around them and cast magic via alternate means, in this case sigils.

I was gonna call the stuff with Eda and her sister based on the translated codes, but decided not to thinking spoilers since I wasn't sure when she'd show up based on seeing her in a preview. The designs and attitudes between them are pure Ryoko and Ayeka from the Tenchi series especially their designs in their hair and their attitudes where they're both incredibly catty and mean to each other with all the maturity of HS kids, but deep down DO care about each other.

The stuff with Ammity was great this episode where it's made clear that witchcraft to her is a VERY serious and deeply personal and emotional project and her enmity and resentment towards Luz is do to her lax attitude towards magic as a sort of identity hobby with some very obvious parallels to Diana and Akko from Little Witch Academia.

I'm legitimately looking forward to more since the show seems to be finding it's legs now and am interested more in the lore about how covers work, why you can only use one type of magic when joining, the Emperor's Coven with their blatantly evil looking Griffith Helmets and why they're the exception, how magic works, and more on Eda in general.

If there's one criticism I have, it's the rather overt focus on institutional learning being bad(at least according to Eda)which I'm hoping gets somewhat challenged since it misses the point of why these places come into being in the first place and the whole individuality thing given that Luz is a nice girl, but the stuff she did in school would have gotten her straight up expelled and was legitimately dangerous. I think these things would have been better done a different way in my opinion.

Forgot to add, love the series, but I'm actually incredibly worried and nervous for it in similar ways to Star vs and GF due to the network. The world feels incredibly big like in Star vs an at full length, I'm sure that they'll explore the hell out of it, I'm just not sure if just two seasons will be enough even if it's 20 full length episodes. Like, if Eda's curse gets lifted by seasons end...where to next? Like yeah Luz still trains and learns, but I'd love to see this road show go on for a good while and we know how Disney does things.

I also loved that it was made clear that both Eda andd Lilith are equals in terms of skill and power plus I loved the sneak attack that Eda pulled when she brought up the curse.

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
The Owl House premieres will be skipping a week, no new episode today as TDC needs to make room on their broadcast schedule for themed programming. Happy Valentine's Day!

Have a fanart instead.

85729eae3a89d25c6b714b643a10d7bd11bb8aaa.png

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
New episode was fun. I'm not a huge fan of the "this ragtag group of friends is secretly way better at magic than everyone else" thing, but it isn't a huge problem.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
New episode was fun. I'm not a huge fan of the "this ragtag group of friends is secretly way better at magic than everyone else" thing, but it isn't a huge problem.

Yeah that bothered me a bit. What bothered me more is this new thing about Amity's friends being the bad influence that caused the rift between her and Willow(still not sure I like this too). It just feels lazy and cliche if that makes any sense(not sure if it's the right words, but best I got).