• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
At a quick glance it looks like she has the best HP+ in the game right now

Also her EX grants overclock and EX+ (as in upgraded version of skill, not the weapon) extends the buff if target is broken. She is going to be a MONSTER! Holy shit!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Okay, here are All of Aranea's ability screenshots, compiled by a helpful reddit user, victorsoh.

Screenshot of Aranea's kit (from today's playguide):

Screenshot of Aranea's kit (from yesterday's playguide):

Like I said before I got buried in new page, this kit is rediculous and stupid powerful, but clearly one of the trickiest that has come out, and one that will need some smart navigation to make the most of. I will deffo be bringing an Eiko to extend her short-duration unique buffs a bit, hopefully her EX+ will charge fast enough to keep Overclock on consistently.

I'm definitely gonna multipull her, and anyone else looking for her should grab her kit, no question. She is undoubtedly one of the most powerful characters we are gonna have in the game for a long, long time, and you would be remiss to lose this opportunity.

Grind some Summon Boards if you have too, She is worth the effort.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Hold up, hold up, let's look at this with perspective.

One thing I can clearly see from her kit is that while she can deal a ton of damage, and the free turns she gets while breaking gives her good turn count, she clearly can't operate at full power without constantly burning her ability uses.

All her unique buffs stay on for three or four turns, which means that without paying attention, you could definitely run out of them faster then you can apply them, especially considering Overclock needs to be up to make the most of her kit, and can't easily be refreshed without her EX+.

She's definitely gonna need somebody like Eiko on her team to make sure her useful self-buffs are extended Just Enough for her to regulate her ability spending.

She's still super duper rad, but we are gonna need to see some players do some testing to see just how much longevity her powerful kit can bring to the table. We've already had this kind of issue with characters like Vayne and Ultimecia, and they both at least had ability use restoring and free ability uses, respectively, to help keep them in line.

It's really really good then, that her HP+ is so gosh darn powerful, and so capable of being used regularly, but caution is definitely the name of her game.

You are worrying about the wrong thing. Unlike Vayne or Ultimecia, she has no stacks to worry about. So if she ran out of buff, she can easily just reapply it and be back in the game instantly. They gave her a powerful hp+ for a reason.

Saying that she looks a lot like Garland in the sense he can output insane damage, but can run out of steam quickly. We will know either way in 24 hours!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
You are worrying about the wrong thing. Unlike Vayne or Ultimecia, she has no stacks to worry about. So if she ran out of buff, she can easily just reapply it and be back in the game instantly. They gave her a powerful hp+ for a reason.

Saying that she looks a lot like Garland in the sense he can output insane damage, but can run out of steam quickly. We will know either way in 24 hours!

Yeah, we'll see. I'm not trying to deflate anyone's hype for her, I'm definitely pitying Her myself! I'm just trying to help people temper their expectations.

I mean, how many people are using Ultimecia and Emperor for most of their content these days? They were some of the most hyped characters in the game, and I had a hard time with Ultimecia because I couldn't luck out on getting any overflow supports unti just recently with Ignis, so her most powerful skill wasn't as helpful as it could have been, and she underperformed when enemies took less and less damage in Chaos.

Running to grab the most meta characters can often be costly, so it's good to know if you are prepared to make the most of them. You don't need Eiko to make Aranea more powerful or longer lasting, but it's good to know that she's extra useful to those that do have her, since she can easily take advantage of Eiko's buffs, and her Unique Buffs can all do with an extra turn of application to keep her HP++ in good condition longer.

Like you said though, we will see in 24 hours how it all comes together, so let's all get lucky tomorrow!!!

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, we'll see. I'm not trying to deflate anyone's hype for her, I'm definitely pitying Her myself! I'm just trying to help people temper their expectations.

I mean, how many people are using Ultimecia and Emperor for most of their content these days? They were some of the most hyped characters in the game, and I had a hard time with Ultimecia because I couldn't luck out on getting any overflow supports unti just recently with Ignis, so her most powerful skill wasn't as helpful as it could have been, and she underperformed when enemies took less and less damage in Chaos.

Running to grab the most meta characters can often be costly, so it's good to know if you are prepared to make the most of them. You don't need Eiko to make Aranea more powerful or longer lasting, but it's good to know that she's extra useful to those that do have her, since she can easily take advantage of Eiko's buffs, and her Unique Buffs can all do with an extra turn of application to keep her HP++ in good condition longer.

Like you said though, we will see in 24 hours how it all comes together, so let's all get lucky tomorrow!!!

I just used Ultimecia for the heretic chaos we had 2 weeks ago. She is still more than viable. Don't know why you think people are not using her?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I just used Ultimecia for the heretic chaos we had 2 weeks ago. She is still more than viable. Don't know why you think people are not using her?

Sorry man, I'm not trying to say she isn't viable, she's still super powerful. I just mean that jumping into a powerful character without the proper context to their moveset can leave you with a misunderstanding about their power.

I described how she had been underperforming for me, and that was during early chaos where bosses felt impossible to shave once they lost enough health due to how their resistance to Brv damage and passive increase to Def would work. That was even when she was putting on a 50% decrease to Defense due to having her Sphere on her. I was having trouble because I didn't have effective supports to make her better.

I'm sure I just haven't been using her lately, and that she'll be awesome for some of our current bosses. I'm just saying, gotta put the right people together to make a powerful team. That's a constant we can all agree on.

Scosher

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle WA
Hold up, hold up, let's look at this with perspective.

One thing I can clearly see from her kit is that while she can deal a ton of damage, and the free turns she gets while breaking gives her good turn count, she clearly can't operate at full power without constantly burning her ability uses.

All her unique buffs stay on for three or four turns, which means that without paying attention, you could definitely run out of them faster then you can apply them, especially considering Overclock needs to be up to make the most of her kit, and can't easily be refreshed without her EX+.

She's definitely gonna need somebody like Eiko on her team to make sure her useful self-buffs are extended Just Enough for her to regulate her ability spending.

I'm actually thinking Rosa. Someone with that many free turns but not free ability uses will benefit from a BRV regen battery, to make use of a strong HP+, similar to Ultimecia and Rosa's synergy. And Aranea's HP+ is VERY strong.

edit - Saw your other post just now, and I think you may have been trying to complement Ultimecia in the wrong way. Overflow supports are nice, but what she really wants is a BRV regen support to maximize all the free turns. I think Aranea will be similar.

Aranea + Ysh + Tifa combo is going to be insane. Tifa benefits heavily from the extra crit dmg bonus since she already has boosted crit rate from Zangan Way, and the trio can keep a boss delayed nearly infinitely.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I'm actually thinking Rosa. Someone with that many free turns but not free ability uses will benefit from a BRV regen battery, to make use of a strong HP+, similar to Ultimecia and Rosa's synergy. And Aranea's HP+ is VERY strong.

edit - Saw your other post just now, and I think you may have been trying to complement Ultimecia in the wrong way. Overflow supports are nice, but what she really wants is a BRV regen support to maximize all the free turns. I think Aranea will be similar.

Aranea + Ysh + Tifa combo is going to be insane. Tifa benefits heavily from the extra crit dmg bonus since she already has boosted crit rate from Zangan Way, and the trio can keep a boss delayed nearly infinitely.

I don't wanna waste anyone's time talking about this any further, but you guys are right. I didn't have the options to build her properly while I was using her, and she fell off of my radar.

My reasoning for Overflow was to increase Hell's Judgement's Damage, since I felt it wasn't pulling it's weight with the amount of Hp damage it was dealing at the time, and normal Max Brv buffs didn't seem terribly effective.

Anyway, you are totally right, we are (and sorta already have) quickly reaching a point where single bosses no longer get turns, and these double delay's will be increasingly helpful against duo bosses in the future, not the least because it sets up good choke points in turn order, but also because she has effective multi-enemy options!

She's gonna be crazy in nearly all content going forward, so hopefully we all get her!

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
This is a great resource that's still being updated with new releases. I don't always agree 100% on their best artifacts per character, but it's a good guide for a new player starting out:

Tonberry Troupe's infographics also give recommendations on artifacts for each new character release/update (only ones with an EX+ upgrade):
www.flickr.com

Tonberry Troupe

Explore Tonberry Troupe’s 167 photos on Flickr!

Once you start getting to advanced metrics, this is my favorite Skill and Aura guide to get a full understanding of the character's abilities and strengths. It's well-formatted and easy to read:
docs.google.com

DFFOO Supports R Cool (Mark III)

Party Buffs/Auras (Mark III) Character,ATK Buff,mBRV Buff,Other Party Buff 1,Other Party Buff 2,Other Party Buff 3,Self Buff 1,Self Buff 2,Self Buff 3,Self Buff 4,Self Buff 5,ATK Aura,mBRV Aura,iBRV Aura,BRV Reg Aura,Total ATK,Total mBRV,Total iBRV,Total BRV Reg,Total HP Reg Serah,60%,20%,[Un...

And lastly, this is useful to plan your pulls, since we have the benefit of foresight behind the JP version:
docs.google.com

DFFOO GL Banner Forecast Planner

GL Forecast This forecast has moved! It is no longer being updated!!! New Forecast is at <a href="https://www.tonberrytroupe.com/resources-hub/global-timeline-planner">TonberryTroupe.com</a>
Thank you so much for this!
This is the best I've been able to do farming artifacts so far:

The ever elusive grit two star att 108 continues to evade me 😫

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Now that I understand this game better I feel like I should have gone for Sephy and Eika EX pulls. Being that you need unique teams to do the endgame content. Should I just go for Golbez while he is here even though I don't care for him or are some cool characters coming up that I can spend my 30k current on

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Now that I understand this game better I feel like I should have gone for Sephy and Eika EX pulls. Being that you need unique teams to do the endgame content. Should I just go for Golbez while he is here even though I don't care for him or are some cool characters coming up that I can spend my 30k current on
Aww, don't beat yourself up, they will be back another day! If you look at the infographics for them, there is a forcast for when they'll show up again on banner with or without their EX, so if you want Eiko, she'll be back eventually. Plus, there will be other supports out there, no worries!

Golbez is fun, but if you are waiting for somebody broken to help clear content with, and who will be useful for a long time, just wait until later this evening and you'll have Aranea to pull for!

Since you have Zack, pair him with two characters who haven't gotten there Ifrit treasures, use a 3x exp book, and use a friend unit Setzer or Quistis and do four runs of Ifrit before switching the two characters for two others.

Hopefully you'll have plenty of Setzers and Quistis' to use as friend units, and you can build up some treasures for Aranea, in case you wanna try ticketing or grabbing gems.

The main thing is, these fights aren't hard, but the right character will make them fast. Ifrits best in that they use their Overdrive immediately, so you don't have to try to stop it with delays. So a strong enough character will totally destroy him, they just need a friend unit that can replace the useless characters, and hopefully that character delays enemies so you can prevent the boss from getting a turn, wasting your time.

You can always just try completing the event content for a bunch of tickets, this is just good advice for the future.

If you wanna see what Golbez and Seven are all about, check this out.

sjt3jfg85qe41.png

EP3D8S_XkAQRLgS.jpg

It's less that Golbez and Seven are bad, they are both very cool and useful characters, it's just that we will have other damage dealers on the horizon to use and take advantage of, so they aren't critically important. Use tickets if you'd like, but be warned, they will disappear once Aranea shows up!

Also, to actually answer your question, Yuri and Onion Knight are showing up sometime next month, and are both very effective Damage dealers, Yuri bringing huge gravity effects and massive damage, and Onion Knight capable of providing Imperil to the party, and switching between single target and splash damage focus.

Also, Penelo and Edge are sharing a banner for the next Summon, and they rock too! Penelo is a super powerful support who has an EX that works like Sephiroth's and doesn't need enemy Brave to deal massive damage, and Edge's EX gives the whole party a massive evasion boost, to the point where he wants to take his speed boosts down so it stays up as long as possible, it's that powerful!

Hope you saved that forcast, if you want any info on any character, bring it up and somebody (probably me) will tell you about them!

Last edited:

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Aww, don't beat yourself up, they will be back another day! If you look at the infographics for them, there is a forcast for when they'll show up again on banner with or without their EX, so if you want Eiko, she'll be back eventually. Plus, there will be other supports out there, no worries!

Golbez is fun, but if you are waiting for somebody broken to help clear content with, and who will be useful for a long time, just wait until later this evening and you'll have Aranea to pull for!

Since you have Zack, pair him with two characters who haven't gotten there Ifrit treasures, use a 3x exp book, and use a friend unit Setzer or Quistis and do four runs of Ifrit before switching the two characters for two others.

Hopefully you'll have plenty of Setzers and Quistis' to use as friend units, and you can build up some treasures for Aranea, in case you wanna try ticketing or grabbing gems.

The main thing is, these fights aren't hard, but the right character will make them fast. Ifrits best in that they use their Overdrive immediately, so you don't have to try to stop it with delays. So a strong enough character will totally destroy him, they just need a friend unit that can replace the useless characters, and hopefully that character delays enemies so you can prevent the boss from getting a turn, wasting your time.

You can always just try completing the event content for a bunch of tickets, this is just good advice for the future.

If you wanna see what Golbez and Seven are all about, check this out.

sjt3jfg85qe41.png

EP3D8S_XkAQRLgS.jpg

It's less that Golbez and Seven are bad, they are both very cool and useful characters, it's just that we will have other damage dealers on the horizon to use and take advantage of, so they aren't critically important. Use tickets if you'd like, but be warned, they will disappear once Aranea shows up!

Also, to actually answer your question, Yuri and Onion Knight are showing up sometime next month, and are both very effective Damage dealers, Yuri bringing huge gravity effects and massive damage, and Onion Knight capable of providing Imperil to the party, and switching between single target and splash damage focus.

Also, Penelo and Edge are sharing a banner for the next Summon, and they rock too! Penelo is a super powerful support who has an EX that works like Sephiroth's and doesn't need enemy Brave to deal massive damage, and Edge's EX gives the whole party a massive evasion boost, to the point where he wants to take his speed boosts down so it stays up as long as possible, it's that powerful!

Hope you saved that forcast, if you want any info on any character, bring it up and somebody (probably me) will tell you about them!
Oh shoot it's tonight?!? Dang I'm so excited! And got it! I'm on it! Time to wreck Ifrit a million times with my boi Zack ❤
As always thank you for the incredible info!!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Oh shoot it's tonight?!? Dang I'm so excited! And got it! I'm on it! Time to wreck Ifrit a million times with my boi Zack ❤
As always thank you for the incredible info!!
If you are in need of my services in Co-op for any events, feel free to call upon me in PM's, or if I'm online in-game! I shall aid you! I'll try to be avalible for Aranea's event, if you decide to ticket her or something, I'll join you for Co-op to help with getting tickets and other resources!

Best of luck! Don't forget to pace yourself, it could be repetitive!

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
If you are in need of my services in Co-op for any events, feel free to call upon me in PM's, or if I'm online in-game! I shall aid you! I'll try to be avalible for Aranea's event, if you decide to ticket her or something, I'll join you for Co-op to help with getting tickets and other resources!

Best of luck! Don't forget to pace yourself, it could be repetitive!
Thank you! I'll definitely take you up on that!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Free 10+1

41f9f866-f919-4af8-93z8jau.png

Edit : 50 tickets trying to get her 35CP and I got another one, ok ok game I get it, you want me to MLB her

e8b9c52f-5d31-4c2e-a5l3jps.png

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Holy crap, Nice Work!!!

I spent 50,000 Gems, but got both! Ended up grabbing a book. I wouldn't spend any more unless you wanna throw a few tickets hoping to get some more 5* weapons, but only a few!

Now, this next step is important! Spend some of your weapon tokens one one copy of any of these two's weapons you don't have a copy of, and don't spend any on 15 cp's if you already have three, or have one limit broken at least two times, because you'll accidentally spend precious resources on more 15cp's then you need. I used to do this with Armor, but at least those tokens are much easier to get.

Both of these characters are gonna be massively powerful damage dealers with unique mechanics, so have fun with them when you can!

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Got her 35 on the freebie, and her EX on the second.

Nice to see this thread made out well too! I look forward to trying out your friend units since I can't max mine for a long while (zero power stones, the only down side to getting the weapons you're after early).

tsakiki

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, awesome pull TheMink! Congrats.

Similar to Razorrin, I needed a total of 10 pulls (so 45k gems) to get my Aranea EX, but in the process got Aranea's 15, 35, and 3 Noct EXs. And 9 power stones, plus a book from the 200 G tokens. Happy with the splurge so far!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Free pull was junk but Got her EX on the 4th pull so I'm done \o/

qKRN8yX.png

Edit: wow nice pull Mink (: and I'm glad none of us had to pity so far. Congrats guys!

Last edited:

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
So once the loading calms down i'm going to give her Vanille's sphere and Tifa's. She deserves both! Vanille's sphere turns her into a debuffer which is incredible for her kit, and also Tifa's sphere gives her 10% attack on a critical hit which well she excels at crit so this sphere is kinda overkill for her. I haven't decided on a third sphere. Assuming people are doing the same.... any ideas for a third sphere? :p

edit: her best artifacts are 108/Miss Mercenary boost **

Last edited:

Nirran

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sigh this game has been shafting me so damn hard lately. In the past two months I've had to pity Rosa, Golbez, Emperor, and now on my way to pitying Aranea. At least Iggy came with 20 tickets.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
It feels obvious in retrospect, but it's flooring me how Highwind will delay ALL enemies it breaks, and not just the target. Since it only unbreaks the target, you won't see it happen often, but it's still super rad to see that happen!

I mean, that's how breaking works, I guess, I guess I'm an idiot!

Also, holy crap that was fast!

lip2syub6eh41.png

This, more then any other, should be treated as an early draft, since a lot was put together from the twitter videos. But it's still very helpful!

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I maxed her and put it as my friend support, hope I won't regret using ingots.
Anyway, looks like tomorrow is artifact farming.

Did you guys notice how the servers are super slow now when a new event drop, already happened with Zack/Ignis too. Maybe they're just too popular haha.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Ok I maxed her and put it as my friend support, hope I won't regret using ingots.
Anyway, looks like tomorrow is artifact farming.

Did you guys notice how the servers are super slow now when a new event drop, already happened with Zack/Ignis too. Maybe they're just too popular haha.

Oh, Indeed! Popularity might have something to do with it!

As a support, I can definitely see her getting massive traction! She's basically good to sub in when you need a massive burst of damage, and it doesn't even seem to matter if it's before or during a Summon, too! In fact, she'll be really great before a Summon as to make sure your team makes the most of her delays and/or Vital Crush before she bounces and you pop the Summon before the enemies get their turn!

You wanna wait until then, because summons tend to reset the turn order no matter how far back the enemy is, so you don't want to waste any delays she gives you. And you kinda don't want her during a Summon because she'll take all your other character's turns, unless that's something you want. Because of her massive overflow and free turns, she seems to get by just fine dealing damage out of Summon anyway!

I think CHAOS is about to get a lot easier from now on!

Scosher

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle WA
So once the loading calms down i'm going to give her Vanille's sphere and Tifa's. She deserves both! Vanille's sphere turns her into a debuffer which is incredible for her kit, and also Tifa's sphere gives her 10% attack on a critical hit which well she excels at crit so this sphere is kinda overkill for her. I haven't decided on a third sphere. Assuming people are doing the same.... any ideas for a third sphere? :p

King's and Bartz's look really good for her. I'm not sure yet which she'd prefer, mBRV or ATK 20%, since her crit buff/debuff will normally cap her hits to 9999. Even her own sphere, 10% iBRV/mBRV may be useful. The more I play around with her on summon boards, the more I believe BRV regen support is going to be key for her. Her buffs don't last long, so she does need to conserve skill use, and it seems like you'd want to weave in HP+ on her free turns.

Man, I wish I pulled for Eiko for that sweet buff extension. I have Yuna 3/3, but Eiko's passive ability to extend buffs seems superior. Edge/Eiko/Aranea will be an amazing trio when Edge gets his EX+

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Aranea is a beast! I didn't get too much time to play around with her, but from the little I played she was amazing.

But don't be fooled, her chaos is basically a Zack showcase fight. They have a very nasty HP attack after they buff their defense (and cannot be broken) and it did like 12k damage or something. Once I brought Zack the fight became a cakewalk.

It will be basically the hardest or easiest chaos depending on how you manage to handle their Shield Attack. Good luck with the fight and grats on the pulls!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RNG gods have been kind. Got Sephiroth Ex after only two pulls last week, got Noctis ex on free pull, and just got Araena's Ex after one pull. Got all three of her weapons between the event, the free pull, and the gems.

Now I just need stones, lol.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
RNG gods have been kind. Got Sephiroth Ex after only two pulls last week, got Noctis ex on free pull, and just got Araena's Ex after one pull. Got all three of her weapons between the event, the free pull, and the gems.

Now I just need stones, lol.
Do her first five event quests and then token the rest of the 15cp's needed to max, that's an effective way to make the most of a lack of powerstones!

Don't do the same for 35 cp or trade for powerstones, massive waste. Also, don't forget that you may have a ton of leftover maxed weapons you don't need anymore! I tend to save the 15 Cps though since they make cutscenes more fun!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I have no words. Aranea is so busted lmao. I have all her boards done and everything maxed except artifacts. My god it's so stupid how powerful she is. She's definitely the best character in the game atm and I can't even lie. Now I'm going to chase artifacts and perfect her. I can only wonder who is going to eclipse her in power right now until the OP JP units come through. It doesn't seem like anyone even matches the level of power she has.

SE did the right thing though. With XV as a series incredibly dead... people will really enjoy Aranea in this game :D Pulling for her is a blessing. I think even people who just started the game can ace fights except maybe chaos but yeah she's ridiculoussss.

Also, thanks for the sphere suggestions, Scosher. I almost feel like pulling King's ex to get the sphere... might try tix :p