• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
That Faris EX animation!! That put a big stupid smile on my face. :)

I think Y'sh's and Prishe's (heh that rhymes) are my two favorite animations in global yet but when it makes it's way here I will chase that Faris EX for all that have because it is too awesome.

EDIT: here's a vid with all the EX animations in global up through Auron.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Celes's lost chapter was really nice. I think my heart warmed up after the opera scene and the music changing to Oh my Hero. Awww it was so good. I really appreciate the game doing this stuff.... just wish it was dubbed D:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like tonight's Fang EX is going to be tricky, since the bosses give themselve 5 buffs I might try with Faris.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this game pretty casually since it came out, but I want to start trying to do some of the tougher quests and whatnot. I've not paid much attention to who is a "good" character and have just tried to get gear/levels for the characters I like. So, with that in mind, would anybody tell me what I need to do to get all the crazy damage and BRV stats that I see some videos having?

Here are the characters I have:

Terra - lvl 60 - EX (maxed)
Tifa - lvl 60 - Mythril Claw
Cloud - lvl 60 - Rune Blade (maxed)
Squall - lvl 60 - EX (maxed)
Aerith - lvl 60 - Wizard Staff (maxed)
Ramza - lvl 60 (crystal level 56) - EX
Celes -lvl 29 (crystal level 53) - EX

I have a few 35cp weapons for characters (Y'shtola, Laguna, Tidus, Vincent, Zidane, Ashe, Shadow, Selphie, Wakka, Yda, Garnet).

Given who I have stuff for, does anybody have recommendations/strats/tips for who I should, and how I should, try to level up to take on some of the harder stuff available in the game?

Really excited for Fang since she's my favorite woman in FF ever! :D

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
You're best bet is to try some combinations of characters you have the most stuff for, and find a team that works well together.

Looking at your crew, I recommend holding ramza either way, because his EX makes him incredibly well rounded!

I'd probably go with Ramza, Terra and Cloud right now, and replace cloud for Celes once she gets a few levels in cycle quests.

Since they kept a random element to the quests, where a monster can show up in the final wave that mulitply's most rewards by 10, it's a good place to level grind with EXP books! And Gil books if you do the money one!

I recommend building up Laguna as soon as possible since you already have his 35CP, since that's literally the only luck-requiring part of his kit you need to make him the amazing all-rounder he is. He buffs everyone's MAXBRV, lowers a bunch of enemy stats, and provides battery and dumps into HP damage, he's Amazing. He'll be a huge help in regular quests and cycle.

Don't waste power stones on anything but leveling EX weapons if you can help it, the passives you get on those are absolutely worth spending power spheres on, at least with characters you want to use, and copies should be saved for way later down the line, if you're lucky enough to get some.

Outside of that, don't be afraid to just load up on the current Co-op event/s on Just For Fun with you're favorite powerful characters! Not only is it fun to try out different units with unusual team combos, but it adds more tension to the experience, and gives you better info on how certain characters can be effective that you wouldn't know by yourself.

I kick all sorts of butt with Fujin, since she both adds wind weaknesses, and empowers everyone's neutral/wind attacks to do more damage to wind weak enemies! It's a blast when it comes together!

Plus, all that fun also pays out in tons of tokens, that you can use to shore up a character's crystals, or build up reserves of fusion material!

I will warn you though, currently the Co-op event is kinda rough to play without an effective character, but when Fang rolls around you can use whatever, and it'll be just fine!

I hope you end up having a ton of fun with the Fang event! Search the thread a little for my and the others' friend codes if you need help in Co-op or want a mutual follow!

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You can get by with any combination of those characters for harder stuff, but if you're looking to do the hardest stuff / bonus missions, only Selphie and Ramza are worth anything out of that bunch.

Fang will work with those 2 since she is a launcher/debuffer

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can get by with any combination of those characters for harder stuff, but if you're looking to do the hardest stuff / bonus missions, only Selphie and Ramza are worth anything out of that bunch.

Fang will work with those 2 since she is a launcher/debuffer

What does "Launcher" mean?

Why are Selphie and Ramza so good?

Thanks! All very useful stuff. I appreciate the response. :D

My code is:

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What does "Launcher" mean?

Why are Selphie and Ramza so good?

Thanks! All very useful stuff. I appreciate the response. :D

My code is:

A launcher is someone who can reliably do the aerial chases that makes the enemy fly and hit the invisible barrier, with all 3 party members potentially having a turn at doing a HP/BRV attack against it.

The most common launchers are

Cloud
Decil
Zidane (EX only)
Layle
Fang (very soon)

Layle is by far the best out of all these ones.

Selphie is good because she provides BRV to the party to a very high amount, gives damage mitigation, has an insanely strong heal, has an invisible aura buff that further increases everyones Max BRV and gives 0 cares about the enemy's Def values. She can't BRV shave at all though.

Ramza is only good because you have his EX. But since you do, he gives an ATK buff to everyone, a BRV regen buff that synergises with Selphie to restore even more BRV per turn, batteries BRV from BRV attack+ and his abilities and his EX is an insanely strong BRV shaver and BRV battery.

Both have great longevity, which is important for harder fights.

Now the idea here is that doing HP attacks on launches will cumulative increase the total damage by 5%/10%/20%. So for example, you've just BRV batteried everyone to Max BRV with Selphie and Ramza and now it's Fangs turn.

You use her HP/launch skill. The enemy goes flying. This lets Selphie and Ramza dump their BRV without wasting a turn doing individual HP attacks, and because all 3 did HP attacks on the launch, the total damage is increased by 20%.

Thats basically the idea of the best meta at the moment.

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing this game pretty casually since it came out, but I want to start trying to do some of the tougher quests and whatnot. I've not paid much attention to who is a "good" character and have just tried to get gear/levels for the characters I like. So, with that in mind, would anybody tell me what I need to do to get all the crazy damage and BRV stats that I see some videos having?

I have a few 35cp weapons for characters (Y'shtola, Laguna, Tidus, Vincent, Zidane, Ashe, Shadow, Selphie, Wakka, Yda, Garnet).

Given who I have stuff for, does anybody have recommendations/strats/tips for who I should, and how I should, try to level up to take on some of the harder stuff available in the game?

you've found where I've hidden off to since SFV killed my love for fighting games

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A launcher is someone who can reliably do the aerial chases that makes the enemy fly and hit the invisible barrier, with all 3 party members potentially having a turn at doing a HP/BRV attack against it.

The most common launchers are

Cloud
Decil
Zidane (EX only)
Layle
Fang (very soon)

Layle is by far the best out of all these ones.

Selphie is good because she provides BRV to the party to a very high amount, gives damage mitigation, has an insanely strong heal, has an invisible aura buff that further increases everyones Max BRV and gives 0 cares about the enemy's Def values. She can't BRV shave at all though.

Ramza is only good because you have his EX. But since you do, he gives an ATK buff to everyone, a BRV regen buff that synergises with Selphie to restore even more BRV per turn, batteries BRV from BRV attack+ and his abilities and his EX is an insanely strong BRV shaver and BRV battery.

Both have great longevity, which is important for harder fights.

Now the idea here is that doing HP attacks on launches will cumulative increase the total damage by 5%/10%/20%. So for example, you've just BRV batteried everyone to Max BRV with Selphie and Ramza and now it's Fangs turn.

You use her HP/launch skill. The enemy goes flying. This lets Selphie and Ramza dump their BRV without wasting a turn doing individual HP attacks, and because all 3 did HP attacks on the launch, the total damage is increased by 20%.

Thats basically the idea of the best meta at the moment.

Toight Toight. Coolcoolcool.

I have a bunch of crystals from last event and some chocobo stuff to level them with. I'll try that out. :D

you've found where I've hidden off to since SFV killed my love for fighting games

Better choice than going back and playing SF4, tbh tbh.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Re: Street Fighter -- Is it really the better game? I am a life long heavy SF player, and was pretty good with 4, won some contests about 10 years ago. When SF5 came out, I didn't get it on release day, and while it was on my "buy soon" list, I started seeing all the negative press. So I decided not to jump in. Never have since then. It's an honest question, but not one that really should be answered here. Just talking.

Re: Meta/Adept -- Thanks for typing all that up. I knew everything you said, but not the "why" or actual numbers to all of it, so that was pretty helpful to me also. I don't generally launch anybody. Cloud was ok, but not very many uses. I like Decil, but haven't really focused on him. I don't want to like Layle, since never played CC. But it's fitting for Fang, since she was the best launcher in FF13.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I really hope they dont release Fang's ex early....

There are two things you should know. World of illusions EX are pretty easy, EX from events can be very hard without geared characters, and then there are Lost chapter level 100's which are pretty difficult since you have to carry the character in that specific lost chapter event. So it's important you at least have a 5 star weapon maxed for those characters if you have no interest in them. It doesnt have to be a synergy weapon. Looking at your roster it seems pretty solid. Terra is a great dps and hits extremely hard. She has much longevity with riot blade on her ex which makes up for her low amount of skill uses. Tifa is pretty great now! She used to be the worst character in the game or one of them but now her awakening has given her overflow on beat rush. Having her 35 cp can max out brave right away with battle cry and then go for that overflow beat rush! I can't really comment on Cloud but I know he's seen much less use now even with his ex because many just do his job so much better. I still think he's great for paralysis cheese though. Squall with his ex is phenomenal but you need his 35 and 15 cp as well so he can hit very hard and he also farms crystals with renzo like a charm at 60/60. Aerith even with her awakening is not worth using over Selphie, imo. She's still really great as a healer but Selphie outclasses her in everything, imo. Ramza's pretty amazing with his ex but I dont have it so I'm just basing it off other Ramza in co op.

Finally, Celes is pretty fantastic in magic fights. She absorbs everything and you wont have to worry about being broken. Her awakening now gives her 1000+ brave after Shine edge so she has a harder time being broken and runic has much more uses as well. Her EX is her damaging move. It's extremely powerful but it has no overflow. In the future she might get it when it becomes 7 star weapon in JP I guess. She's a great unit to have if you have trouble in those magic fights plus her damage isn't so bad. Her ex can hit for like 35k with a maxed Bahamut summon.

As for your 35 cp weapons.... Selphie is honestly meta lol. She's ridiculously good so i'd invest in her first. Garnet provides thunder imperil with her 35 cp which is great with Beatrix if you have her stuff. Yda even while awakened suffers from a few problems. She's gonna be pretty fantastic when she gets her ex though. Ashe is a great unit to have but I guess she suffers from pretty low damage. Her buffs are amazing though. Y'shtola needs a full kit to work for her including her ex so I wouldnt invest there yet.

As for Fang i'm pretty excited too but she wont get her ex (I'm assuming) until very later so she will be overshadowed quickly maybe.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Been using Celes more since I maxed her 15 and leveled her 35. Her character model is super cute. Most of the VI characters translated so well to this style; Shadow is the exception because it looks like he pulled his pants out of a laundry basket. And Edgar kind of looks like he's wearing a spandex suit but that seems like something he'd do so I let it pass lol.

Also bought Vaan's costume the other day and it is boarder line shocking what a difference a shirt makes. I think that's my fifth costume purchase over the last year (Yuna, Terra, Cloud, Vaan, and then I impulse bought Layle's cause I love a guy in a tux lol) which adds up in total but for as much as I play this game it's also kind of nice to support it in some way.

Looking forward to Fang but probably won't pull for her. I say that now but inevitably always give in to temptation anyway cause I'm weak.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they dont release Fang's ex early....

There are two things you should know. World of illusions EX are pretty easy, EX from events can be very hard without geared characters, and then there are Lost chapter level 100's which are pretty difficult since you have to carry the character in that specific lost chapter event. So it's important you at least have a 5 star weapon maxed for those characters if you have no interest in them. It doesnt have to be a synergy weapon. Looking at your roster it seems pretty solid. Terra is a great dps and hits extremely hard. She has much longevity with riot blade on her ex which makes up for her low amount of skill uses. Tifa is pretty great now! She used to be the worst character in the game or one of them but now her awakening has given her overflow on beat rush. Having her 35 cp can max out brave right away with battle cry and then go for that overflow beat rush! I can't really comment on Cloud but I know he's seen much less use now even with his ex because many just do his job so much better. I still think he's great for paralysis cheese though. Squall with his ex is phenomenal but you need his 35 and 15 cp as well so he can hit very hard and he also farms crystals with renzo like a charm at 60/60. Aerith even with her awakening is not worth using over Selphie, imo. She's still really great as a healer but Selphie outclasses her in everything, imo. Ramza's pretty amazing with his ex but I dont have it so I'm just basing it off other Ramza in co op.

Finally, Celes is pretty fantastic in magic fights. She absorbs everything and you wont have to worry about being broken. Her awakening now gives her 1000+ brave after Shine edge so she has a harder time being broken and runic has much more uses as well. Her EX is her damaging move. It's extremely powerful but it has no overflow. In the future she might get it when it becomes 7 star weapon in JP I guess. She's a great unit to have if you have trouble in those magic fights plus her damage isn't so bad. Her ex can hit for like 35k with a maxed Bahamut summon.

As for your 35 cp weapons.... Selphie is honestly meta lol. She's ridiculously good so i'd invest in her first. Garnet provides thunder imperil with her 35 cp which is great with Beatrix if you have her stuff. Yda even while awakened suffers from a few problems. She's gonna be pretty fantastic when she gets her ex though. Ashe is a great unit to have but I guess she suffers from pretty low damage. Her buffs are amazing though. Y'shtola needs a full kit to work for her including her ex so I wouldnt invest there yet.

As for Fang i'm pretty excited too but she wont get her ex (I'm assuming) until very later so she will be overshadowed quickly maybe.

Thank you for more input.

Why do I need a 15cp and 35cp if I have ex?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Once you max a 15cp and 35 cp weapon you get the passive for that specific weapon. You cant just have ex without the useful passives for their other weapons. Example: Terra's EX only would give her riotblade but her meltdown and meteor would not be boosted. 15 cp and 35 cp need to be mlb'd before the ex so you can sell them and then max your ex out. You get the passives and free powerstones. So a character with just an ex is... well pretty useless. You need their full kit.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI

Every 4 and 5* weapon has an affinity ability tied to it for a specific character, and once you max limit break (MLB) that weapon, the affinity character gains that ability permanently whether they ever equipped the weapon or not. So for example, even though you have Cloud's 35cp, you still need his 15cp at some point, even if you don't use it, so you can MLB it and gain the associated passive for him.

You also maximize abilities through raising crystal level which I'm sure you know. Ideally, you want the weapon passives to go along with that. Combined, that'll max your characters abilities to their full potential. However, in some cases you can get away with not having a weapon passive. It's not recommended, but also not something that should hold you back from giving some tougher fights the ole college try. EX fights are a different story but I'd suggest working up to those.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once you max a 15cp and 35 cp weapon you get the passive for that specific weapon. You cant just have ex without the useful passives for their other weapons. Example: Terra's EX only would give her riotblade but her meltdown and meteor would not be boosted. 15 cp and 35 cp need to be mlb'd before the ex so you can sell them and then max your ex out. You get the passives and free powerstones. So a character with just an ex is... well pretty useless. You need their full kit.

Ah, got it. I did do that for my main characters, but I don't think I did for celes and the rest. Good to know!

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten 6 items from the Vaan banner. All 6 are for Layle. I believe the game's trying to tell me something.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Ah, got it. I did do that for my main characters, but I don't think I did for celes and the rest. Good to know!

Sometime it varies, so I'd tailor your approach depending on what works, but mostly every new character's weapon counts, it's usually the early character's that have really bad 15cp's.

Like, Laguna is complete, some would say perfect, with his 35cp, but his 15cp is practically worthless.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Welp, one temptation pull, one EX

LLCeXWu.jpg

Guess I'll give Zell a try.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Sometime it varies, so I'd tailor your approach depending on what works, but mostly every new character's weapon counts, it's usually the early character's that have really bad 15cp's.

Like, Laguna is complete, some would say perfect, with his 35cp, but his 15cp is practically worthless.

For his 35cp, do you mean Regulus? Just checking because if so, I'm going to claim it with my Reminiscence tokens.

Madvin_a

Oct 25, 2017
EX was pretty easy using meta team. 179K using Selphie/Cait/Layle+Bahamut Summon+(35cp only friend Layle). Co-op pretty easy too..gonna slowly grind it over the week.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
The only character I have an EX for is Garnet, and I can't pick up her 15 or 35 CP from the Reminiscence items, so I figured I'd get Laguna if his 35 CP is all he needs.

The essential reason is because it adds an hp attack to his aoe brv attack, that is also single target, meaning he is not only effective against thinning trash waves, but it also acts as a good brave dump. It also helps that the same attack provides a solid brave max boost to everyone, AND lands a solid ATK down debuff to round out his other debuffs from Grenade, so with everything it can do, it becomes his best ability.

It's definitely worth getting.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm glad it's not Fang's EX. I'm now wondering if they will release Yuna EX early lol

Thanks for heads up!!! I just got home from work so time to pull.

PLEASE VIII GACHA GODS GIVE ME LUCK

Good luck Wazzy!!!

Welp, one temptation pull, one EX

LLCeXWu.jpg

Guess I'll give Zell a try.

Wow! Sometimes I wonder if ex drop rates are buffed lol

Woot, got Zell, Yuna, and Fang's 35cp!

Congrats! I think Yuna is still a great unit but overshadowed by Selphie right now sadly. Fang's 35cp is great now look at maxing it and her 15 if you can so you are pull ready for when her ex arrives.

Last edited:

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it's not Fang's EX. I'm now wondering if they will release Yuna EX early lol
Good luck Wazzy!!!
Here I was all ready for Fang's event with a geared up Tidus...and Square switches it up. Ah well, at least I have a geared up Yuna I can use.

Good luck!
Thanks! I used like 40 tickets and got Fang stuff so I moved on to a multi pull and got his EX right away. I might try a few more tickets so that I don't have to powerstone his EX but otherwise I'm very happy it didn't take long to grab!

I can continue saving for Rinoa and Quistis now.
Oh my god they named his EX Ehrgeiz?

Weapon-ehrgeiz.jpg

They named it just like they did in VIII. :P

Since they already introduced Zell's best Glove I guess if he get's anything in the future it will be made up. I've been waiting years for Record Keeper to bring in Lionheart so I wonder when this game will eventually put ultimate weapons on banners. I assume they will be even more ridiculously OP.

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
Re: Street Fighter -- Is it really the better game? I am a life long heavy SF player, and was pretty good with 4, won some contests about 10 years ago. When SF5 came out, I didn't get it on release day, and while it was on my "buy soon" list, I started seeing all the negative press. So I decided not to jump in. Never have since then. It's an honest question, but not one that really should be answered here. Just talking.
SFV has improved a lot since it's release so it shouldn't be getting the amount of negative press since then, but the core gameplay of it still has major issues (IMO) that Capcom has slowly been ironing out or adjusting but mostly stays prevalent from season to season. I was a huge fan of SFIV and played it almost exclusively from it's release until SFV's release.

If you were a fan of IV, it's definitely worth a shot, you might enjoy it, you might not. It's pretty cheap nowadays.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I....do not know how to Zell. Power leveled him to 55/60 and raised his EX one lb but I'm not wrapping my head around his kit. I can't figure out what the point of the 80% max HP Booya trigger is on Punch Rush. It's just an extra brave attack? His 6 turn duel buff from his EX is weird too since it cancels as soon as he uses an ability. I don't get it lol.

I wish ability descriptions would stack based on what crystal level and weapon passives you have equipped. It's confusing bouncing between the descriptions to get the full picture.

I cry for your gem stash Wazzy.

Edit: wait, you're not Wazzy! Lol, my bad. D:

lol, did you mix up Tifa and Rinoa?

And yeah, I'm definitely not a hoarder.

Last edited:

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep saving my gems for future banners and EX weapons, especially come the summer where a lot of good banners are gonna start showing up. Pulls in the near future will probably just be tickets.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This co-op is unbearable.

Zell takes an entire 8 seconds per skill useage when over 80% HP. More if the player is slow on selecting what to use.

RIP if you join a party of 3 Zells.

Fang is also just as bad, as her DPS is low and launches take a long time.

I can't believe 3 Yunas might be the best option for fast farming of this shit.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a hoarder but those 2 past character event I MLB them, maybe I'm just bored haha.
I probably wasted 250 tickets and 10k gems on Leon/Fang, no EX but the next one I'm looking after is Quistis then Golbez and they're pretty far away anyway.

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
Using the tickets from Fang's event on Auron's banner

3 off banner weapons and 1 Auron 15CP

I'm getting closer I can feel it

Also; beat Fang's EX with Selphie/Zell/Layle w/ Friend Auron/Bahamut Summon

Using Auron's Purgatory for the Melee resist down + Zell's 60% DEF Down then Zell's EX? whew