• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
One of the rarest has to be Kuja's alt. I've seen it once and was so thrown off cause I wasn't actively playing the game when it released that I didn't even recognize the character until midway through the fight.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
One of the rarest has to be Kuja's alt. I've seen it once and was so thrown off cause I wasn't actively playing the game when it released that I didn't even recognize the character until midway through the fight.

It's a good alt! You just see Kuja much less since he's sorta been falling behind in use lately.

He'll probably get used a bit more once his EX+ shows up.

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
How's everyone doing with the Abyss so far? I'd be lying if I said floors 3 and 6 were easy. Some of those requirements are steep without the right characters!

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
How's everyone doing with the Abyss so far? I'd be lying if I said floors 3 and 6 were easy. Some of those requirements are steep without the right characters!

They're meant for veterans really and honestly not as hard as I thought it would be. It just made me notice that I have very few white characters and sword characters, despite having a very large and diverse line up

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
It's a fun challenge, but you really need to be on your game! It's especially difficult to fulfill all the requirements, but very rewarding to finally mix up your team!

I'm looking forward to the next ones with bated breath! It's a very good and very fun idea, and I hope more can be done with it as time goes on!

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm about through floor 5. Floor 3 wasn't too difficult, although I did have to make a few runs at the final Cosmos fight, primarily due to running out of abilities too early. After I got the timing down, cleared it no problem.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Floor six is where things get crazy, since you have to spread out your "Good" characters pretty thin to make sure you can achieve the score while fulfilling requirements. It was a challenge, but even without EX's different characters can contribute a ton!

Do any of you think the developers should retroactive release the EX's of characters that got theirs with their EX+?

I understand keeping to the schedule helps US out with planning, and it can't be too easy getting everything translated and programmed over to this version, but It would be lovely to get different characters to become useful much earlier, and diversify the line up a little more.

I honestly wouldn't even be that miffed if characters showed up out of order to a much larger degree due to it, it would be incredibly interesting for us to truly get "a whole different game," compared to JP.

Like for example, Getting Shadow's EX at the same time as Rydia's LC, or getting Basch's Event during Cosmos, stuff like that.

Last edited:

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
Good stuff so far, guys! Also, I don't know if it was mentioned before but it does seem floor 6 eases up on the difficulty compared to floor 3 since it requires a lot more characters. That's the only reason I pulled through really, if that one stage with the Marlboro's was any harder I would not have made it at all. I cleared that one with only 700pts to spare after a dozen tries and various setups.

And yeah, it definitely opened my eyes to the fact that even without their EX, some characters can still really pull their weight (i.e Squall, Cloud, Lightning).

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
And yeah, it definitely opened my eyes to the fact that even without their EX, some characters can still really pull their weight (i.e Squall, Cloud, Lightning).
Setzer has kind of been my throwing weapon super hero so far. I know Layle was the more obvious choice, but I like Setzer's skill set more so used him where I could, and he did great! Really excited for his eventual EX. Along with Lilisette, he's probably my oldest EX-less character I still use frequently.

Madvin_a

Oct 25, 2017
Abyss cleared on my end. Had more trouble on Floor 3 (3-8 notably) than 6, only cause I didn't plan my groups ahead of time. Felt pretty fair overall.

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
Setzer has kind of been my throwing weapon super hero so far. I know Layle was the more obvious choice, but I like Setzer's skill set more so used him where I could, and he did great! Really excited for his eventual EX. Along with Lilisette, he's probably my oldest EX-less character I still use frequently.

I actually 60/60'd Setzer for the Abyss, although with just his 35cp and even then, I agree, he's insanely useful with that bravery freeze option of his.

Be prepared to break out Layle as well on floor 6 though, since there are two seperate nodes that require a throwing weapon user. Unless you have another of course! (I was really short on them..)

Abyss cleared on my end. Had more trouble on Floor 3 (3-8 notably) than 6, only cause I didn't plan my groups ahead of time. Felt pretty fair overall.

Good job! You made it sound easy, haha.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

I'm Freaking DYING to get Setzer's EX, I want it so bad! It makes him a battery KING!!!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
For real? Now I'm curious, how exactly? :)

Basically, his whole thing is that he has very useful abilities that burn out quickly, right? His EX is super powerful, and charges fast too, so it motivates that heavily!

So first off, it's a 7-hit magic attack, so it'll assuredly get him to max brave. Then, it basically fills two of the lowest current brave character's Brave to full, and since he hit so many times, that means he's basically batteries his allies to full.

Then he does an equal HP attack on all enemies, and gets an aura buff that raises everyone's Atk and Max Brv. It also gives him an HP plus that charges his brave a bit before it hits, then gives him 30% back, keeping him from being left bopen.

Since it charges so quickly, and his Spd is improved with limit breaking his EX, he can very effectively assist character with high Brv overflow or multi Hp attacks. The increase in attack also makes his first ability SUPER powerful!

I loved setzer when he came out, he continues the be useful in many situations, and when his EX comes out, as well as his EX+, he'll continue to be consistently useful!

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
Wow, that sounds really, really good actually. On paper it even seems like it's more useful than Serah! Well, based on battery support/durability, anyway. Guess I'd better start saving up!

Also,

I actually didn't expect this to hit so soon. If this means we're going to need like 9 teams... I'm not gonna make it. :(

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least WoL/Laguna rework next week is pretty much guaranteed so if you have either, it'll help a lot.
Other level 70 are nice but the stat boost is not as huge as 50 -> 60

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
UGH, I already have Warrior of Light's EX Weapon, but I want Laguna to be the best right now!

I'm just going to have to hold off, there are a ton of interesting and powerful characters to save up for, and I especially want Alisaie Ali-SAP! She's super cool, and I don't care if she falls off a bit later, that can't happen if she has somebody extending her free ability use unique buff! She gets way too many turns and free abilities to ever be bad, I promise! Just needs a good Atk buff and she's ready to double your damage at half the cost of turns!

Also, since I really want a character that can extend buffs to make Vayne and eventually Alisaie and Garland (oh my freaking god, we have to talk about Garland soon), do you guys think Yuna would be a solid investment?

I love her EX a ton, both visually and damage wise, but I heard she can be a little inefficent starting out, since it takes so many uses of her abilities to get her EX out to start. Anyone definitely pulling her that want to extoll her virtues, and some ways to counterbalance her weaknesses?

Triangulate

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to have Yuna but after spending a few million gil on Serah artifacts without getting a single perfect for her, Vayne or Zack, I'm done with the Cursed 6. Artifacts are the worst part of the game already and I'm not putting myself through that again.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Same, I'm not going through that cursed artifact farming hell ever again, that was an awful and wasteful experience.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Oh yeah, I'm not doing any of that either, but if I get 3 outta 6, I'll be happy.

Preferably the Esuna ones, if she's gonna need to cast it all the time to use her EX and extend my favorite characters' one or two turn unique buffs, then by god she will!

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I can't wait for Warrior of Light's rework, I've been waiting a while lol.

Me toooooooooooooo...

I've literally been waiting ever since his EX.

My only issue it that he can't work with Zack, but whatever, they are at their best in different situations. He's gonna be great, and I hope everyone gets some good use out of him, he'll be good for a LOOOOOOOOONG TIME!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Wait, hold on, they put garnet's EX on the same banner... not WoL? Is he supposed to show up at the end of the month? I though he was supposed to be the second character on the banner since his rework was supposed to come out at the end of the month, so they'd slot him in.

I mean, I like garnet, but I didn't see a surprise rework or anything, so she's still incredibly underpowered right now, even with her EX. I should know, I already have it because I thought at the time of Beatrix's Event that she's Be perfect with her due to the imperil to Lightning and water.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, hold on, they put garnet's EX on the same banner... not WoL? Is he supposed to show up at the end of the month? I though he was supposed to be the second character on the banner since his rework was supposed to come out at the end of the month, so they'd slot him in.

I mean, I like garnet, but I didn't see a surprise rework or anything, so she's still incredibly underpowered right now, even with her EX. I should know, I already have it because I thought at the time of Beatrix's Event that she's Be perfect with her due to the imperil to Lightning and water.
That's next week with the raid, 2 banners featuring all 6 first level 70 characters.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Cleared floor 6. I did think 6 was easier than 3 overall, like a few others mentioned. Completed the final fight no probs with Vayne, Tidus and Lenna.

On to 7! I'll probably skip on Lightning. I don't have any funds anyway, but even with upcoming tickets, I already have Garnet's and luck hasn't really been with me as of late so I'll save what I can.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
That's next week with the raid, 2 banners featuring all 6 first level 70 characters.

Ah, excellent, good time for that.

Excited to see how Lvl. 70 works, it'll be interesting! It's basically minor stat boosts and a unique ability that takes no turns but does something the character wants, so I'm interested in seeing how it affects different stuff.

This will also be the start of scrolling down to use an ability off screen too, so stay careful!

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I love Lightning but 40 tickets into the banner and all I have to show for it is Garnet's 35 seems like a sign that I should abandon and save for WoL like I need to.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I honestly wouldn't recommend pulling on Lightning if you don't already have her or don't have an emotional attachment. No disrespect, but the Rework doesn't really do enough to fix her core issue, that she's a fast DPS that, despite having a free turn mechanic, still eats up turns way too quickly to properly work with any supports in the team.

Like comparing to Alisaie, for example, Alisaie is as quick if not quicker, and doesn't quite hit as hard, but her free turns are self-contained, they are a part of her personal rotation, and don't need enemy breaks to work around. She also compliments her quickness with many free ability uses, effectively countering the normal difficulties her speed would provide the team.

But of course this is just my opinion, and Lightning is by no means a bad character, quite the opposite! She is just underwhelming compared to other options as a DPS, and her usability at the start of chaos is at an emphatic zero. She will eventually grow to become the Queen of Delay DPS, but that time is much too far to consider her a necessary investment as of now.

Like, no joke, we all have to keep Chaos in mind moving forward, the start of that mess is going to chew us up and spit us out if we aren't careful!

Characters like Paine, WoL, Noel, Lenna, Especially cloud since he get's his EX+ super early, Heck, with Selphie's EX in two months speeding up other EX's she can greatly benefit certain teams as well!

I'm not saying pulling a character you want or like is bad, go for it and have fun! But keep a mind on your gem count, and be prepared to get some proper supports coming into Chaos, because the stat level on bosses in there are absolutely Gruesome, and the defense is much too high to properly circumvent with normal damage, having a defense down character will be Super important.

Plus, Hp Damage is an eventuality, not something you can avoid with delays, so consider characters that can help with that, like Porom with her party wide Hp Damage Taken reduction buff and solid healing, she can easily keep your party in Tip Top shape for a good amount of Chaos.

For a while, there will be a few characters that Work, and many, many others that DON'T. Be safe, and be prepared.

Quwie's video on Cosmos Era still rings true to me about what characters you should look out for, and I suggest giving it a look to see what might be a solid investment.

Don't skip out on Sherlotta at the end of COSMOS uthough, she's B—A—N—A—N—A—S

She has a buff that increases Hp Damage Done By All Party Members By 20%, and an attack that Deals Hp Damage Based On Everyone's Total Brave, THREE TIMES.

She's pretty good.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Also, for more information on why Alisaie is the coolest, watch this instructional video on how she, armed with only her own abilities and buffs, along with a Quistis providing a start of 9 free delays, comepletly solo's the 300,000 (Edit, I was Wrong, I mean 900,000) Hp Raid Boss EX fight, by herself.

The fact that her abilities all do at least three hits means she can benefit greatly from buffs to her damage and max brave, especially from Auras to counter her free turns, and end up dealing around 50,000 Damage per counted turn, reflected by her semi-consistent 30,000 with just her alone, which is a lot for a character capable of using her abilities for like 28 turns straight.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, next livestream for Monday, WoL EX owners, rejoice!
Since nobody mentionned it, little Shantotto also get a rework.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Good to know, Shantotto gets really good later, so I'm glad we can get her Rework soon!

Man, does anyone know how good Vaan gets with his Rework? It's gonna happen sometime in the near future, and I've already invested in him a long while ago, since he was my main man in my early days, but I have trouble deciphering his Rework in any appreciable way.

It's like, his potencies go up, but when he gets to the last one or two uses of his abilities, they super charge? I don't really know if he gets that good with his Rework, so if anyone knows better, I'd love to hear about it.

Madvin_a

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, hopefully a quick fix soon. Was able to clear the latest Abyss, but wanna go back to complete.

REALLY Looking forward to WOL's 70/rework.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know, Shantotto gets really good later, so I'm glad we can get her Rework soon!

Man, does anyone know how good Vaan gets with his Rework? It's gonna happen sometime in the near future, and I've already invested in him a long while ago, since he was my main man in my early days, but I have trouble deciphering his Rework in any appreciable way.

It's like, his potencies go up, but when he gets to the last one or two uses of his abilities, they super charge? I don't really know if he gets that good with his Rework, so if anyone knows better, I'd love to hear about it.
Vaan rework is OK, he won't get HP+ before EX+, hurting is longevity for Chaos by a lot. He didn't get his level 70 with his rework.
Details here https://www.reddit.com/r/DissidiaFFOO/comments/aggn8v/jp_vaan_rework_details/

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Vaan rework is OK, he won't get HP+ before EX+, hurting is longevity for Chaos by a lot. He didn't get his level 70 with his rework.
Details here https://www.reddit.com/r/DissidiaFFOO/comments/aggn8v/jp_vaan_rework_details/

Thank you, I always have trouble finding those JP overview posts!

At least he'll get some more use for a little bit, but Chaos is gonna be really rough for anyone without EX+, so I'll probably not use him too much outside of proper circumstances.

As an aside, I'm kinda glad I got what I wanted (Layle's EX) from that banner earlier, because I'm going to be ready to pity for Ultemecia, and Squall's EX+ is with hers, so if I'm lucky, I'll get both, but if I'm not, I'll most likely get both anyway!

And anyway, Squall becomes an absolute Behemoth when he gets his EX+, as it does a ton of damaged maxed out, and gives him one more stack of his EX buff, and starting him off with it. He'll be really solid alongside Ultimecia, though she'll have longer legs.

The biggest thing to understand is that Chaos sucks early, so if you have Squall or Cloud or Warrior of Light, or you have enough tickets or gems to try for Garland or Ultimecia, you'll merely make victory possible instead of Impossible. After that, it's a matter of time until other characters get their EX+ weapons or have their EX+ unlocked for them.

There are certain characters that will not need an EX+ to be viable, but most of them are support characters that are mean't to assist damage dealers with their stat buffs/debuffs, so be careful, keep your head on a swivel, and consider that Bingo Book video on what may be a proper investment for the beginning of chaos, because it will be very long and very hard.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
t2qx2ttm4gi31.jpg

DFFOO Stream at 1:30 PST, everyone! Get hyped, we're expecting Lv.70 Awakenings, Raids, and Warrior of Light's massive rework! Hope you all have a good time, and stay tuned for updates!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
DFFOO Stream at 1:30 PST, everyone! Get hyped, we're expecting Lv.70 Awakenings, Raids, and Warrior of Light's massive rework! Hope you all have a good time, and stay tuned for updates!
Hikari's still banned until tomorrow iirc but will watch the stream I guess, so hey!
This will be an exciting one for sure.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Hikari's still banned until tomorrow iirc but will watch the stream I guess, so hey!
This will be an exciting one for sure.
They'll be with us in spirit, at least!

As a fun question, I joined DFFOO right when Zack was having his event, and back then I couldn't even get his 15CP, I had far too little to make it all the way, even with Vaan's 15cp.

Now, at around rank 470 currently, I've come full circle, and grew to fully max out my greatest (final fantasy) hero!

What character event did you start playing during, and did you manage to get and enjoy that character when the LC showed up later?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
They'll be with us in spirit, at least!

As a fun question, I joined DFFOO right when Zack was having his event, and back then I couldn't even get his 15CP, I had far too little to make it all the way, even with Vaan's 15cp.

Now, at around rank 470 currently, I've come full circle, and grew to fully max out my greatest (final fantasy) hero!

What character event did you start playing during, and did you manage to get and enjoy that character when the LC showed up later?
For me there was no event when I started at launch, first one was Squall and I remember struggling so much at completing the last stages haha.
I did get his 15CP but at that time 35CP weapons didn't exist.
Couldn't get Squall's EX yet but I'm sure I will on Ultimecia's event.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
For me there was no event when I started at launch, first one was Squall and I remember struggling so much at completing the last stages haha.
I did get his 15CP but at that time 35CP weapons didn't exist.
Couldn't get Squall's EX yet but I'm sure I will on Ultimecia's event.

I'm going all in on Ultimecia, so I'll definitely enjoy having Squall's EX as well. I don't know how useful his EX+ will be, but it will be quickly known that it's easy to promote a weapon to EX+, and quite difficult to max it out after, so I'll likely have his EX+ before long!