• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Spent several hours building Barret and he didn't help at all for improving his Chaos stage run, oh well I hope he'll help a bit in DE otherwise welcome to the bench. At least he'll help grind Kimahri event.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasted 30k gems and 100 tickets trying to get Tifa Ex. Got all of Barrett's weapons instead. Feels bad, man.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at 353 tickets atm, it's actually impressive after wasting all of them on Agrias/Faris.
Just realized Zack's EX is in the shop so I might actually skip his banner and get it there, but Ignis will be a nice support (I swear I get all the supports) so I'll try my luck.
Their banner is like 6 weeks away so I got time.
Also it will be nice to not have to pull on upcoming LC/events since I have Rosa / Golbez / Rinoa already (and 3/3 Rosa + Golbez), and they'll be synergy on the following character event. Still getting Emperor because he'll be fun to play!

Last edited:

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I had to pity Barret, sad face.

This was a case of pulling for a fav though, and I have no regrets, I'm so glad to have him geared up to go along with my VII crew. I knew I had exhausted my luck with that triple EX combo of Thancred/Balthier/Cait with only 5k gems and 20 tickets spent so I was expecting this lol.

Last edited:

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
I'm almost out of tickets trying to get Barret.. don't want to pull because I want to go for Kimahri/Yuna Emperor/Firion Rosa/Sabin since I don't have any of their EX's

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix was really not kind to Barret's EX, especially when you see people would rather use Balthier instead. It needed either 100% splash damage or HP attack triggering twice.
It's nice to see it reach that high amount of brave but ultimately, on his LC boss, it sucks (and Balthier even recast his faster)

Edit : I got a slightly better score with Y'shtola / Sherlotta / Barret but I'm still 100k off the mark despite being done in 84 turns.

Last edited:

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Square Enix was really not kind to Barret's EX, especially when you see people would rather use Balthier instead. It needed either 100% splash damage or HP attack triggering twice.
It's nice to see it reach that high amount of brave but ultimately, on his LC boss, it sucks (and Balthier even recast his faster)

Edit : I got a slightly better score with Y'shtola / Sherlotta / Barret but I'm still 100k off the mark despite being done in 84 turns.

You need a launcher for Barret Chaos to get score. Also Barret sucks for his LC lol. Replace Barret and sherlotta with Cloud and Agrias is probably better.

I am currently trying to do his fight without using tifa and it's really hard to get score without her launch

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had Agrias, I really tried to get her but no luck, will try with Cloud later otherwise I'll have to wait for Sephiroth to get the complete.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you have hundreds of thousands of gems? What are you saving for? From your recent posts, it sounds like you're now starting to actually fall behind.
I'm only using gems for favorite and meta. I can clear Barret Chaos easily but not get the score, that's just because I lack current EX+ physical damage dealer so I just gotta wait until mine get realizations.
Looking at my must pull list I might get Firion but I'll definitely pull for Yuri.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I'm only using gems for favorite and meta. I can clear Barret Chaos easily but not get the score, that's just because I lack current EX+ physical damage dealer so I just gotta wait until mine get realizations.
Looking at my must pull list I might get Firion but I'll definitely pull for Yuri.

wait....faris, agrias, baltheir, setzer, and vanille are not worth the gems?

It's ok to pull :P I mean what happens if one of your favorite characters sucks? Then you are still stuck in the same current situation

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
So as promised here is the information on the interview with Square Enix Music.

It will be with Eric Roth, the music director for the Final Fantasy concerts. It will be live on Twitch January 9th at 4PM GMT at www.twitch.tv/fikrakw

Topics will include how they orchestrate FF music (especially the midi one from the 8 bit days), how they collaborate with the FF composers, and other things related to FF and it's music. FYI but some music from OO is sampled/arranged from their work actually

If you have ever been to a Distant Worlds or A New World Concert this is one of the main people behind it (he is also the conductor for the concerts) and who works directly with people such as Nobou Umetasu, Yoko Shimomoura, Masashi Hamauzu, etc

You can leave your questions at either the Instagram or Twitter post

Instagram

Twitter

Also what would you guys think of an interview with the producer of the Dissidia games? Is this something you would like to see?

That should be it. If there is anything else let me know, otherwise see you in a couple of days!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
wait....faris, agrias, baltheir, setzer, and vanille are not worth the gems?

It's ok to pull :P I mean what happens if one of your favorite characters sucks? Then you are still stuck in the same current situation
They were on my maybe list, but you right I should have used gems for Agrias, even after those 500 tickets.

Scosher

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle WA
They were on my maybe list, but you right I should have used gems for Agrias, even after those 500 tickets.

Well, hindsight is...too early in the year for that lol

I wasn't planning on getting Agrias, but Faris was a fav so I pulled hard on that banner and got Agrias EX before Faris EX. While I've used Agrias a lot more in Chaos fights, I don't think she's make or break. Like, at no point did Agrias trivialize a fight. But she was useful because of how versatile her kit was. If I wasn't sure what to slot in for a 3rd party member, and the boss wasn't immune to silence/paralyze, Agrias was always the safe option.

I also don't think she'd make too much difference for you on Barret's LC. I cleared it with Tifa, Yshtola, and Lyse, but the score requirement was still very tight, even with Tifa launches. I feel like whenever a banner features a launcher, the corresponding Chaos stage has higher score requirements as Square's subtle way of influencing players to roll on the banner. They're obviously more direct about it now in JP with their new challenge mode.

You should try it with Cloud + Yshtola + some other third. Maybe Sherlotta. Or try your luck again at Tifa cause her damage is amazing.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, I played this at launch and quit after whiffing hard on Squall's second weapon release 35cp weapon? During the first year I think. I can't seem to recover my account. I had a number of characters at lvl 50 which was max at the time and a bunch of the cores you get from selling 5* weapons. I also knocked out all the story including on Hard up to around Chapter 9 or so. My question is would it be worth it to send a recovery request to Square? Or would I be better off just starting over? Would it be quick to level characters back up? Can I get Squall's gear? Or would I have to wait for them to come back around?

Appreciate recommendations and any advice you can provide!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Grinded back 404 tickets with the summon boards, feels good. Wild points helps a lot!
I'm about to waste them all on Emperor and fail getting him, so I'll switch to gems lol
Hey guys, I played this at launch and quit after whiffing hard on Squall's second weapon release 35cp weapon? During the first year I think. I can't seem to recover my account. I had a number of characters at lvl 50 which was max at the time and a bunch of the cores you get from selling 5* weapons. I also knocked out all the story including on Hard up to around Chapter 9 or so. My question is would it be worth it to send a recovery request to Square? Or would I be better off just starting over? Would it be quick to level characters back up? Can I get Squall's gear? Or would I have to wait for them to come back around?

You could reroll new account until you get Squall's EX weapon on the free roll, I'd say the game progressed so much it's not worth it to get back a 2/3 months old launch account.

Last edited:

Naar

Oct 29, 2017

I suggest making a new account because things are waaaaaaaaay different now and obviously its much easier to lvl up and get stuff done now compared to before.

Squall is on a permanent banner for new players (hence why getting a new account is suggested) that features all his weapons. He is a good pick too, as he will make farming and pretty much all the story of act 1 a breeze.

But you cannot depend on the same character all the time. I would give Squall a month or so before he starts falling off for endgame content, but then he comes back as a beast. It's just a cycle every character goes through

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
New account it is, thanks, guys! So basically to re-roll I just uninstall the game and then I need to play through until I beat Iron Giant each time to be able to do the free 10+1 pull, right? It looks like you can get the crappier 15cp weapons...guessing it will take a million tries to get Squall's 35cp but thank god he's on the freebie banner at all. Are there less characters on the freebie so that my odds of getting Squall are a little higher?

What do you mean by characters falling off? Squall can hit the current max level and has all his abilities in the game already so he shouldn't struggle with any content I wouldn't think? He's still top tier in Japan from what I looked up. I understand that some bosses are susceptible to specific character abilities so you'll want to bring particular characters for some boss battles but you made it sound like there's a stretch of the game where Squall wouldn't be useful, Naar. Can you clarify?

Also, any beginners tips? Just plug away at the story for easy gems and unlocking characters? Or are there other events I should target early? Looks like there are new systems and resources for me to learn but I imagine the tutorial will take care of that.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
New account it is, thanks, guys! So basically to re-roll I just uninstall the game and then I need to play through until I beat Iron Giant each time to be able to do the free 10+1 pull, right? It looks like you can get the crappier 15cp weapons...guessing it will take a million tries to get Squall's 35cp but thank god he's on the freebie banner at all. Are there less characters on the freebie so that my odds of getting Squall are a little higher?

What do you mean by characters falling off? Squall can hit the current max level and has all his abilities in the game already so he shouldn't struggle with any content I wouldn't think? He's still top tier in Japan from what I looked up. I understand that some bosses are susceptible to specific character abilities so you'll want to bring particular characters for some boss battles but you made it sound like there's a stretch of the game where Squall wouldn't be useful, Naar. Can you clarify?

Also, any beginners tips? Just plug away at the story for easy gems and unlocking characters? Or are there other events I should target early? Looks like there are new systems and resources for me to learn but I imagine the tutorial will take care of that.

You realize jp is 1 year ahead of us right? You can't compare

Until 1 month ago Squall was basically shit for 2-3 months until he got lvl 70 and his weapon realized.

He is good right now, but like every character in this game he starts to fall off until he gets a new weapon or lvl up

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

I usually give big, long posts with lots of info, so I'll spoiler this for ease of reading.

What you should try to do once you have your feet wet, is completing the Mog Gym, and spending all your gems on the triple EX banner, with Setzer, Serah and Vanille. These are very good characters all of them, and if you spend every multipull you get from all the act 1 content and Lost Chapters you decide to do, you should get all their EX weapons and some copies of their 15 and 35 CP weapons to boot.

Very Important!!! We have a Pity System now, if you can't get all three EX weapons from the banner, if you do enough pulls that the little token count reaches 300, you can spend those to get an EX of your choosing. if you get all three sooner then that, STOP PULLING, and save your gems for something else down the line!

The rule of thumb is, spend tickets on banners you are fine potentially missing out on, and save up your gems so you have 75,000 (easier then you think,) for a banner character's EX you really really want. You will get EX's with tickets, but it's a gamble, and you will get tickets from events and permenant content frequently to support doing it like this.

If you are going to Reroll, you wanna consider all the free first pulls all the current banners have right now. Getting an EX is tricky, but they are long term investments, and if you can get one on any of these multipulls, they'll help you big time. I suggest rolling with one from Balthier, Basch, or any of the the earlier Three on the same banner.

Once you complete Mog Gym, you will be able to get as much resources to max out one character of each crystal colour, and I would save the ones for Black, Red and White, as all three of those are for the triple banner characters.

In fact, even if you don't get Squall, Setzer can cover his farming ground with one of his moves, it's just that Squall is a very useful attacker right now, and is a solid investment should you luck out and get his EX.

You can always get a character's 15 and 35 CP eventually using Weapon Tokens, the EX is always the real prize of a banner.

So, if you work your way to getting the triple banner characters, and maybe get squall's 35CP on the newcomer banner and investing in him a little for farming purposes, you'll be in a good place to go forward. After getting weapons Realized on a full team (we'll talk Realization later), you be able to take on COSMOS pretty reasonably, and with time CHAOS will be surmountable.

Just take your time and enjoy, and try to play the co-ops and grab as many limited resources from events as you can. When you are starting, every bit helps!

And have fun! Ask questions whenever you need answers, we are pretty friendly and we'll help you out! Myself especially!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Best score yet, with a Tifa friend.

b84e707d-02c3-4626-a93yje3.png

I could do it with 2 turns less but that's not going to give me 40k points.
(insert the usual "this score system suck", 5 turn less is not enough)

xtien

Apr 21, 2019
I. Love. Tifa.

In spite of her simplistic skill set, she puts up huge numbers at great efficiency. I keep expecting Beat Rush to hit damage cap, but the numbers just keep going with that huge overflow %. She also pairs great with Y'shtola, who I've been using practically everywhere lately.

Not one to chase waifus or husbandos, but it's nice to have a personal favorite be so fun and effective to use! Hope she and Cloud get LD/Burst weapons that vault them back into contention in JP.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
You realize jp is 1 year ahead of us right? You can't compare

Until 1 month ago Squall was basically shit for 2-3 months until he got lvl 70 and his weapon realized.

He is good right now, but like every character in this game he starts to fall off until he gets a new weapon or lvl up

Yep, I know that it's just an indictaror for me that he's still relevant there but it's more like he's relevant again apparently. So I think I got what you're saying, this is just power creep but in this game, because the gacha is weapons, it's not about pulling newer better versions or inherently more powerful characters as much as it's about who gets their level cap increased/new stronger weapon. I'm used to all characters level cap increasing at the same time so I guess that threw me off. So basically whoever gets the next level cap increase and new stronger weapon is meta for a stretch for the most part. Regardless, you can imagine from my name and avatar that Squall's my guy so I'd chase him no matter what.
I usually give big, long posts with lots of info, so I'll spoiler this for ease of reading.

What you should try to do once you have your feet wet, is completing the Mog Gym, and spending all your gems on the triple EX banner, with Setzer, Serah and Vanille. These are very good characters all of them, and if you spend every multipull you get from all the act 1 content and Lost Chapters you decide to do, you should get all their EX weapons and some copies of their 15 and 35 CP weapons to boot.

Very Important!!! We have a Pity System now, if you can't get all three EX weapons from the banner, if you do enough pulls that the little token count reaches 300, you can spend those to get an EX of your choosing. if you get all three sooner then that, STOP PULLING, and save your gems for something else down the line!

The rule of thumb is, spend tickets on banners you are fine potentially missing out on, and save up your gems so you have 75,000 (easier then you think,) for a banner character's EX you really really want. You will get EX's with tickets, but it's a gamble, and you will get tickets from events and permenant content frequently to support doing it like this.

If you are going to Reroll, you wanna consider all the free first pulls all the current banners have right now. Getting an EX is tricky, but they are long term investments, and if you can get one on any of these multipulls, they'll help you big time. I suggest rolling with one from Balthier, Basch, or any of the the earlier Three on the same banner.

Once you complete Mog Gym, you will be able to get as much resources to max out one character of each crystal colour, and I would save the ones for Black, Red and White, as all three of those are for the triple banner characters.

In fact, even if you don't get Squall, Setzer can cover his farming ground with one of his moves, it's just that Squall is a very useful attacker right now, and is a solid investment should you luck out and get his EX.

You can always get a character's 15 and 35 CP eventually using Weapon Tokens, the EX is always the real prize of a banner.

So, if you work your way to getting the triple banner characters, and maybe get squall's 35CP on the newcomer banner and investing in him a little for farming purposes, you'll be in a good place to go forward. After getting weapons Realized on a full team (we'll talk Realization later), you be able to take on COSMOS pretty reasonably, and with time CHAOS will be surmountable.

Just take your time and enjoy, and try to play the co-ops and grab as many limited resources from events as you can. When you are starting, every bit helps!

And have fun! Ask questions whenever you need answers, we are pretty friendly and we'll help you out! Myself especially!
First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to right a lengthy response! I really appreciate it!

Mog gym eh? That's new to me and I'm sure the game will show it to me after knocking out the tutoritals once I'm satisifed with my roll. I'm assuming you suggest the Setzer banner because those three just got level cap increases and new weapons?

Thank god for a pity system, FFBE should really add that. I'll be able to hoard effortlessly, that's the type of player I am. Once I'm happy with my starting role, I will hoard for FFVIII and meta character weapons.

So I did the free pull for each banner I could and I won't bother mentioning the 15CP, just higher. Do you think I should continue with this one? or keep re-rolling? I received:
Squall: Cutting Trigger 35CP (Can I get his EX on the newbie banner? If so I guess I should keep re-rolling since he's my fave)
Basch: Blood Sword 35CP
Setzer: Darts 35CP
Serah: Faerie's Bow 70CP

So I assume that's Serah's EX and that's why I'm bothering to ask if I should continue despite wanting Squall's EX. Is getting Serah's so lucky that I shouldn't re-roll? I haven't used any tickets or gems yet, this is just off of all the free 10+1 rolls. From your post, sounds like you'd say the 35CP Squall weapon is good enough and to just go ham on the Setzer banner. Many I want Squall's EX though haha

Cool, I'm not worried about the endgame/harder content at this point. I planned on powering through all the story on both difficulties to milk all the free gems so I just wanted to know what I should hit early and sounds like Mog Gym is the answer to that question.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
You can indeed get Squall/Cloud/Lightning EX on the free roll. Serah is nice but if Squall is a favorite you should def get his.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
Nice, I'll re-roll until I get Squall's EX then. Thanks for the quick response! I can go for Razorrins recommendation banner with the gems once I get Squall's off the freebie.

Scosher

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle WA
In order of importance for character building: C. Lvl to 60 -> Weapon upgrades -> C. Lvl to 70 -> Unlock and farm summon boards -> Artifact grinding -> Levelling

Characters are power crept based on weapons, not their levels. There are level 70 characters that are trash because they have long since been power crept or don't have an EX weapon. However, the game routinely reworks characters so the previous D tier toons get improved to A tier. It's why there's really no tier list for this game -- everything's just a cycle, and will have their time in the sun, so you can pull for your favorites.

An easy guide for you to know who is good and who is not is this: Any character that has their EX+ version available is viable for the most difficult content. Chaos difficulty started in November, and Squall got his EX+ in Dec. He's strong right now, but know that he was one of the early ones to start falling off, because of his lack of utility and low skill uses (he runs dry quick, and Chaos levels are endurance fights). But if he's a fav, go for him, cause he can still do Lvl 180 quests and demolishes anything under.

From the current free banners, the best EX characters/weapons to shoot for, especially for a new player, is Balthier, Setzer, and Vanille. Serah is good too, but her max potential requires a lot of grinding. I wouldn't be too overly concerned if you don't get Squall EX on the free roll. I'm not sure how long that newbie banner is up for, but if it lasts awhile, you are going to be spending on that banner with your gems regardless because you would need to max limit break Squall's 15cp and 35cp anyway. And the most precious resource for new players are power stones, so don't feel bad even if you have to go 75k gems to pity Squall EX. You need a lot of dupes and power stones to max LB him. If you get a good EX collection from all the other free banners, I would go ahead and start rolling story chapters and LC's to accumulate gems.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Yep, I know that it's just an indictaror for me that he's still relevant there but it's more like he's relevant again apparently. So I think I got what you're saying, this is just power creep but in this game, because the gacha is weapons, it's not about pulling newer better versions or inherently more powerful characters as much as it's about who gets their level cap increased/new stronger weapon. I'm used to all characters level cap increasing at the same time so I guess that threw me off. So basically whoever gets the next level cap increase and new stronger weapon is meta for a stretch for the most part. Regardless, you can imagine from my name and avatar that Squall's my guy so I'd chase him no matter what.

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to right a lengthy response! I really appreciate it!

Mog gym eh? That's new to me and I'm sure the game will show it to me after knocking out the tutoritals once I'm satisifed with my roll. I'm assuming you suggest the Setzer banner because those three just got level cap increases and new weapons?

Thank god for a pity system, FFBE should really add that. I'll be able to hoard effortlessly, that's the type of player I am. Once I'm happy with my starting role, I will hoard for FFVIII and meta character weapons.

So I did the free pull for each banner I could and I won't bother mentioning the 15CP, just higher. Do you think I should continue with this one? or keep re-rolling? I received:
Squall: Cutting Trigger 35CP (Can I get his EX on the newbie banner? If so I guess I should keep re-rolling since he's my fave)
Basch: Blood Sword 35CP
Setzer: Darts 35CP
Serah: Faerie's Bow 70CP

So I assume that's Serah's EX and that's why I'm bothering to ask if I should continue despite wanting Squall's EX. Is getting Serah's so lucky that I shouldn't re-roll? I haven't used any tickets or gems yet, this is just off of all the free 10+1 rolls. From your post, sounds like you'd say the 35CP Squall weapon is good enough and to just go ham on the Setzer banner. Many I want Squall's EX though haha

Cool, I'm not worried about the endgame/harder content at this point. I planned on powering through all the story on both difficulties to milk all the free gems so I just wanted to know what I should hit early and sounds like Mog Gym is the answer to that question.

Thanks again for your assistance!

No problem! I love this game, and I wanna help other people enjoy it too, so it's worth it that you have a great time!

So yes, you can get EX weapons from the banner, and if you love Squall you definitely want to reroll for his, since you won't get it easily down the line until a banner with it shows up. He's useful, and he's a character you love, that's all the justification you need!

Nearly all characters on banners coming up will be extended with EX+ now that it's a thing, and it's good to consider which ones to pull for as you develop your team further. Right now, you just want a good, safe baseline of useful characters, and the triple banner provides that. Getting Serah's EX was lucky!

But you can reroll quickly in this game, and getting an EX is an eventuality you won't hopefully have TOO much trouble with, so if you can stomach it, try to get Squall's EX. If it takes a bit too long, then maybe stick with an account that snagged two EX's on free pulls and go on with that.

I say you don't NEED squall's EX because you are early on, and he will serve his purpose well just with a 35CP for now. It helps him become a very good DPS, but you will grow your team over time, and get more characters eventually, and his EX will show up on a banner eventually too.

For more exact info, you can check out this Timeline with info on events and when characters are expected to show up, or get their EX+ if they are already here, and it can help you decide which banners to pull on eventually.

bo84c3ckfx041.jpg

I'm a bit tired at the moment, so this is all I can do for today, but if you want advice on different characters that will be SUPER RAD coming up, ask or I'll post later about them.

Don't forget that the Reddit for DFFOO is chock full of useful information, and a group of users called the Tonberry Troupe make Infographics giving you all the info on any upcoming characters you could possibly handle! Keep an eye out, they'll help you with pulling advice for new banners! You can also search for characters that are on the current banners to see how they do!

I hope you end up having an awesome time!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Oh, I almost forgot... FRIENDS!

You can follow other players you play with or use the supports of in this game, much like Exvius, only the way Supports work is that their character can replace one of yours for three turns (Five if it's a mutual follow), with their EX ability fully charged out the gate, and act in their stead until their time is up, or they get killed.

You can also add Friend ID's by interacting with he crossed swords icon at the top left, and selecting search, and I'll give you mine so you can use my support! I've got Setzer, who can do a LOT of damage and Debilitate your enemies with a powerful unique status effect!

Razorrin: 944 398 297

I'll follow you back, so do your best and call upon me in hard times! Supports reset every 6 hours, and powerful friends top the list, so I'll be able to help you whenever!

You can also request help from your friends when engaging with Co-op Content, like raids or events, so if I'm playing, I'll try to join and help you out! It'll show you all the recently logged in friends, so if Razorrin is there, you can count on me helping out!

You can change your support at the main menu, at the gear icon under User Data. Put Era in your support message and it'll be easier to follow you back!

Last edited:

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't seen this mentioned, so, since there is a raid boss going on, see if you can grab the community rewards. Should be under Missions>Mission/Raid toggle>Everyone tab. Lotsa goodies there (tickets, gems, etc).

And GL getting Squall's EX!
Yeah I found that since my OCD ass can't leave any notification indicators up, gotta click all the things the game wants to show me :p Thanks for looking out though! Hopefully I'll get Squall's without having to re-roll too many times but I shall get it before I continue!
In order of importance for character building: C. Lvl to 60 -> Weapon upgrades -> C. Lvl to 70 -> Unlock and farm summon boards -> Artifact grinding -> Levelling

Characters are power crept based on weapons, not their levels. There are level 70 characters that are trash because they have long since been power crept or don't have an EX weapon. However, the game routinely reworks characters so the previous D tier toons get improved to A tier. It's why there's really no tier list for this game -- everything's just a cycle, and will have their time in the sun, so you can pull for your favorites.

An easy guide for you to know who is good and who is not is this: Any character that has their EX+ version available is viable for the most difficult content. Chaos difficulty started in November, and Squall got his EX+ in Dec. He's strong right now, but know that he was one of the early ones to start falling off, because of his lack of utility and low skill uses (he runs dry quick, and Chaos levels are endurance fights). But if he's a fav, go for him, cause he can still do Lvl 180 quests and demolishes anything under.

From the current free banners, the best EX characters/weapons to shoot for, especially for a new player, is Balthier, Setzer, and Vanille. Serah is good too, but her max potential requires a lot of grinding. I wouldn't be too overly concerned if you don't get Squall EX on the free roll. I'm not sure how long that newbie banner is up for, but if it lasts awhile, you are going to be spending on that banner with your gems regardless because you would need to max limit break Squall's 15cp and 35cp anyway. And the most precious resource for new players are power stones, so don't feel bad even if you have to go 75k gems to pity Squall EX. You need a lot of dupes and power stones to max LB him. If you get a good EX collection from all the other free banners, I would go ahead and start rolling story chapters and LC's to accumulate gems.
Interesting that character level is the least important though I'm not surprised equipment is a higher priority. Crystal level the most important to level is interesting too.

Ah ok, good to know. Poor lvl 70 trash tier units. That's cool that every character comes back around so no one's favorite has to be terrible forever. Squall is as anyone would guess my favorite so yeah, I'll go hard at getting him up to snuff and I must get him to his strongest! I assume you upgrade an EX to an EX+ rather than EX+ being a new weapon to pull for?

Sounds like I'll want to re-roll until I get Squall's EX and then pull on that Setzer banner for those three you mentioned and then I can recoup resources by getting through the story to go back to Squall banner to get his lower tier weapons for their passives. Regardless how it shakes out, if I can get Squall's EX, I'll press onward and get the other good stuff over time. It's a good point that if the newbie banner is staying like that for a while then I should concentrate on a limited banner that's great. Lost Chapters are a nice addition, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for all the sound advice!
No problem! I love this game, and I wanna help other people enjoy it too, so it's worth it that you have a great time!

So yes, you can get EX weapons from the banner, and if you love Squall you definitely want to reroll for his, since you won't get it easily down the line until a banner with it shows up. He's useful, and he's a character you love, that's all the justification you need!

Nearly all characters on banners coming up will be extended with EX+ now that it's a thing, and it's good to consider which ones to pull for as you develop your team further. Right now, you just want a good, safe baseline of useful characters, and the triple banner provides that. Getting Serah's EX was lucky!

But you can reroll quickly in this game, and getting an EX is an eventuality you won't hopefully have TOO much trouble with, so if you can stomach it, try to get Squall's EX. If it takes a bit too long, then maybe stick with an account that snagged two EX's on free pulls and go on with that.

I say you don't NEED squall's EX because you are early on, and he will serve his purpose well just with a 35CP for now. It helps him become a very good DPS, but you will grow your team over time, and get more characters eventually, and his EX will show up on a banner eventually too.

For more exact info, you can check out this Timeline with info on events and when characters are expected to show up, or get their EX+ if they are already here, and it can help you decide which banners to pull on eventually.

I'm a bit tired at the moment, so this is all I can do for today, but if you want advice on different characters that will be SUPER RAD coming up, ask or I'll post later about them.

Don't forget that the Reddit for DFFOO is chock full of useful information, and a group of users called the Tonberry Troupe make Infographics giving you all the info on any upcoming characters you could possibly handle! Keep an eye out, they'll help you with pulling advice for new banners! You can also search for characters that are on the current banners to see how they do!

I hope you end up having an awesome time!
Whoa that graphic release chart is pretty cool! I actually started reading through some stuff on Reddit so I don't have to nag you guys about every little thing. Sorry for the newb questions but I appreciate all the responses! Also thanks for your friend ID! I'll add it once I keep my account and ask for more members here as I get going :) Rest well, buddy! I'm about to finish my re-roll so lets see what I get!

OMG OMG OMG I got Squall's already! AND I got his Cutting Trigger at the same time so I just need the 15CP weapon to get all his passives! Woooooohooooooo! Keeping this account no matter what so hopefully I get some good stuff from the other freebies oh and I got Cloud's 15cp with that pool as well as WoL's 15cp from the tutorial ticket.
Here's the shake out:

Squall: Sheer Trigger 70CP and Cutting Trigger 35CP
Vaan: Zwill Blade 35CP x2 so fused them for a limit break
Serah: Got her Fairie's Bow 70CP again! Glad I didn't stick with that last one!
Cait Sith: Battle Trumpet 70CP and Green Megaphone 35CP
Freya: Mythril Spear 35CP
Cloud: Organyx 15CP
WoL: Enhancer 15CP

I'd say that's a pretty good freebie starting roll! Well maybe not to you guys since you guys would probably keep rolling for Setzer and Balthier but for me wanting Squall above all else and managing two other EX's it seems pretty great to me! So now I can farm gems from story and lost chapters and then use them on the Setzer/Vanille/Serah banner hoping to get Setzer and Vanille's. I figure if I can get Setzer I might switch to Balthier to try and get his. Man, getting Squall's best right off the bat has me juiced to play this game and get all the mats I'll need to max him out and get his EX +, ultimately! Too bad it's late so I should get to bed soon haha

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Yeah I found that since my OCD ass can't leave any notification indicators up, gotta click all the things the game wants to show me :p Thanks for looking out though! Hopefully I'll get Squall's without having to re-roll too many times but I shall get it before I continue!

Interesting that character level is the least important though I'm not surprised equipment is a higher priority. Crystal level the most important to level is interesting too.

Ah ok, good to know. Poor lvl 70 trash tier units. That's cool that every character comes back around so no one's favorite has to be terrible forever. Squall is as anyone would guess my favorite so yeah, I'll go hard at getting him up to snuff and I must get him to his strongest! I assume you upgrade an EX to an EX+ rather than EX+ being a new weapon to pull for?

Sounds like I'll want to re-roll until I get Squall's EX and then pull on that Setzer banner for those three you mentioned and then I can recoup resources by getting through the story to go back to Squall banner to get his lower tier weapons for their passives. Regardless how it shakes out, if I can get Squall's EX, I'll press onward and get the other good stuff over time. It's a good point that if the newbie banner is staying like that for a while then I should concentrate on a limited banner that's great. Lost Chapters are a nice addition, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for all the sound advice!

Whoa that graphic release chart is pretty cool! I actually started reading through some stuff on Reddit so I don't have to nag you guys about every little thing. Sorry for the newb questions but I appreciate all the responses! Also thanks for your friend ID! I'll add it once I keep my account and ask for more members here as I get going :) Rest well, buddy! I'm about to finish my re-roll so lets see what I get!

OMG OMG OMG I got Squall's already! AND I got his Cutting Trigger at the same time so I just need the 15CP weapon to get all his passives! Woooooohooooooo! Keeping this account no matter what so hopefully I get some good stuff from the other freebies oh and I got Cloud's 15cp with that pool as well as WoL's 15cp from the tutorial ticket.
Here's the shake out:

I'd say that's a pretty good freebie starting roll! Well maybe not to you guys since you guys would probably keep rolling for Setzer and Balthier but for me wanting Squall above all else and managing two other EX's it seems pretty great to me! So now I can farm gems from story and lost chapters and then use them on the Setzer/Vanille/Serah banner hoping to get Setzer and Vanille's. I figure if I can get Setzer I might switch to Balthier to try and get his. Man, getting Squall's best right off the bat has me juiced to play this game and get all the mats I'll need to max him out and get his EX +, ultimately! Too bad it's late so I should get to bed soon haha

Nice work! You'll do fine with those characters and EXes! Have a good sleep, and enjoy the game tomorrow!

Don't forget to pace yourself, all the early content is going to be very VERY easy, especially with EX weapons, so it'll be a little boring to go through. Take your time and work through them, and don't be afraid to ask newb questions, I'll do my best to help!

Also, since early content is easy, mix up the characters you're using on occasion! They won't be very great until they at least get their extensions, which come at CLvl 55 and 60, but you'll get the resources to get them there quick enough anyway, just take your time and have fun!

Although do it for Squall, he clears waves like nobody's business, and his damage will make bosses crumple like paper. Plus he was an early character, so you'll get by perfectly well just maxing his EX and using it until you can max out his 15 and 35 for their passives later. The stats are worth it more right now.

You'll get enough Black Crystal materials for Setzer soon enough anyway.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
OHHHH, LAST THING BEFORE BED, MY LATEST PITY IS SHOWING UP, AND HE'S BEAUTIFUL~~

Oh man, I cannot wait to see how he plays! I've been waiting for this for a long while!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017

Here's the shake out:

This is a very good roll, even my brother who rerolled recently wasn't this lucky (he got both Barret/Tifa EX afterward though)
Don't stress it if you can't complete stuff ASAP, there is a lot of catching up to do but that also means a lot of tickets/gems.
The anniversary is in 3 weeks so expect good stuff from it as well. And as linked before, the forecast put Squall Burst/LD weapons in August so if you want to be extra careful, keep 125k gems at all time to pity his Burst.
I know I'll be in fanboy mode when Golbez get his Burst, which will probably be his iconic Binding Cold.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
After reading some post I'm having 2 regrets as of late: not going hard on Agrias; and prioritizing Serah over Setzer on ingots.

[QUOTE="Squall ASF, post: 28042919,]

[/QUOTE]

There's a currently a ×2 crystal quest right now, you can farm those right now. I think it will end at the 13.

Speaking of farming, Squall is pretty great at that. You can also have Setzer since his animations are more shorter.

I do prefer Squall more especially in breezing through story content and LC cause he hits hard.

My friend code is 561718727. Also make sure to update your support character as it gives you a better chance of having someone follow you back. Co-op helps in getting resources so don't hesitate to drop in every new banner.

Scosher

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle WA

Yeah the EX upgrades to EX+ once you MLB it and use a Book of Ruin to "realize it". The plus version has it's own 3 levels of limit breaks that need ingots to LB, instead of the usual power stones.

That haul of EX's you got from the free rolls is very nice! Congrats on Squall EX! I forgot to mention Cait Sith because he's generally considered a weaker support, but that's mostly because he's being compared to the likes of top tier supports who just became available like Y'shtola and soon Rosa. With his EX+, he's still better than 90% of the cast, and moreover, he was the only current EX on the free banners that you pulled with a heal. He pairs very nicely with Squall too since Squall wants battery and mBRV supports.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
No Red XIII or Reno in that datamine, aw yeah global first here we come! :)

Glad Rikku finally gets to join though, and that it's her X model. The third alt costumes being recolors are disappointing though, especially if they're paid content and rather than optional color choices.

Last edited:

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
Nice work! You'll do fine with those characters and EXes! Have a good sleep, and enjoy the game tomorrow!

Don't forget to pace yourself, all the early content is going to be very VERY easy, especially with EX weapons, so it'll be a little boring to go through. Take your time and work through them, and don't be afraid to ask newb questions, I'll do my best to help!

Also, since early content is easy, mix up the characters you're using on occasion! They won't be very great until they at least get their extensions, which come at CLvl 55 and 60, but you'll get the resources to get them there quick enough anyway, just take your time and have fun!

Although do it for Squall, he clears waves like nobody's business, and his damage will make bosses crumple like paper. Plus he was an early character, so you'll get by perfectly well just maxing his EX and using it until you can max out his 15 and 35 for their passives later. The stats are worth it more right now.

You'll get enough Black Crystal materials for Setzer soon enough anyway.
Thanks! I've mixed in some characters that there were mission achievements for like doing 20 battles with Serah and Cait Sith and have been leveling Cloud up for his. I need to check out the crystal farming stage that I vaguely recall from early game. I think they rotated what color if I remember correctly. Need more black for Squall! It figures Setzer uses the same as Squall haha How much gems should I hoard before going ham on Setzer banner? And his banner is definitely what I should go ham on rather than seeing what's coming next?
This is a very good roll, even my brother who rerolled recently wasn't this lucky (he got both Barret/Tifa EX afterward though)
Don't stress it if you can't complete stuff ASAP, there is a lot of catching up to do but that also means a lot of tickets/gems.
The anniversary is in 3 weeks so expect good stuff from it as well. And as linked before, the forecast put Squall Burst/LD weapons in August so if you want to be extra careful, keep 125k gems at all time to pity his Burst.
I know I'll be in fanboy mode when Golbez get his Burst, which will probably be his iconic Binding Cold.
Nice, good to hear it isn't solely good because of Squall pulls. That's awesome that I didn't miss the anniversary! That always yields good things in these games so looking forward to that. Should I pass on using any gems now and just hoard for anny? Or blow load on Setzer and three weeks is enough time to recoup a decent amount of gems? I'm not sure how ample they'll be after I've blown through all the story. What's Burst/LD weapons? I'll definitely hoard for my boy! I'm guessing LD is Legendary and better than EX? I need to learn the passives from his weaker weapons... 125k is the safe number eh? Ok, I'll keep that in mind and make sure I have at least that much come August! I'll cheer you on when your boy Golbez gets his new stuff! Hopefully he'll get a CG version in FFBE when they inevitably start doing the antagonists at some point.
After reading some post I'm having 2 regrets as of late: not going hard on Agrias; and prioritizing Serah over Setzer on ingots.

Yeah the EX upgrades to EX+ once you MLB it and use a Book of Ruin to "realize it". The plus version has it's own 3 levels of limit breaks that need ingots to LB, instead of the usual power stones.

That haul of EX's you got from the free rolls is very nice! Congrats on Squall EX! I forgot to mention Cait Sith because he's generally considered a weaker support, but that's mostly because he's being compared to the likes of top tier supports who just became available like Y'shtola and soon Rosa. With his EX+, he's still better than 90% of the cast, and moreover, he was the only current EX on the free banners that you pulled with a heal. He pairs very nicely with Squall too since Squall wants battery and mBRV supports.
I guess it's good that the EX+ uses it's own resource though I can only imagine how rare those ingots must be. I remember from when I played at launch that selling gold weapons was the quick easy way to get the power stones, should I do that with weapons from characters I don't care as much about? Or is the constant powercreep cycle a reason to hoard them so I have something decent for every character? I know I shouldn't sell EX's but I figure 15CP and maybe 35CP would be ok too for characters I don't care about?

Thanks! I'm stoked to start out with his EX! Can't wait to get it to EX+ and pumped to hear he's getting his next upgrades later this year. Hmm Cait Sith sounds like a nice support for Squall. Challenge is I'm starting new so I won't have enough power cores to spread around between many characters for a bit I assume.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
Let me show you what someone said

Don't do regrets and use gems on Rosa. she IS worth it

Oh wow. That went back pretty fast. haha! I'll take your word for it. Hopefully I'll be able to get both.

I just realized Brothers Ultimate is 4 days after Emperor's banner. So I'll be able get enough gems for a pity if the worst case happens.

Madvin_a

Oct 25, 2017
Should I pass on using any gems now and just hoard for anny? Or blow load on Setzer and three weeks is enough time to recoup a decent amount of gems? I'm not sure how ample they'll be after I've blown through all the story.

Using gems is a gamble, moreso with a pity break system. With the 2nd anny so close, and what you pulled (grats!), I'd just hoard up a bit.

Gem wise, in this game, depends greatly on how much you do. In a normal month, 40K+ is pretty common in this game. Plus, you have summon boards to get even more gems and tickets.

What's Burst/LD weapons? I'll definitely hoard for my boy! I'm guessing LD is Legendary and better than EX? I need to learn the passives from his weaker weapons... 125k is the safe number eh? Ok, I'll keep that in mind and make sure I have at least that much come August!

LD/Burst is the next tier of weapon. Pity break for them is 75/125k each. LD is "weaker" then EX+ and Burst is the newest grandprize item, limited to main protags/villains.

I remember from when I played at launch that selling gold weapons was the quick easy way to get the power stones, should I do that with weapons from characters I don't care as much about? Or is the constant powercreep cycle a reason to hoard them so I have something decent for every character? I know I shouldn't sell EX's but I figure 15CP and maybe 35CP would be ok too for characters I don't care about?

Depends on how you want to play the game long term. Pulling for favorites and enjoying story, sell away. Want to eventually tackle endgame, hold onto them. Sell only when you MLB (Max limit break) and have another weapon for them to equip. Heretic quest and Dimensions End really stress having a diverse roster.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
So I finally got around to finishing Basch's Chaos a couple of hours ago.... sometimes this threads gives me no notifications and I have it on watch lol. Seems I missed a ton of posts...... Basch's chaos was actually one of my favourites. I think delayers really made me lucky but man I feel like Basch is super required if you dont cheese it. It seemed impossible without him at first but then a combination of Cloud paralyze, Y'shtola stone delaying (I know boss absorbs earth) but the delay and dmg was still very welcome and Ultimecia's free turns really helped. I was sweating because I nearly ran out of skills when the boss hit red and trust me he just never ever fkn died. He has SO MUCH HP it was pretty hilarious.

I regret not building Basch for this but i'm glad I got it done.

Don't you have hundreds of thousands of gems? What are you saving for? From your recent posts, it sounds like you're now starting to actually fall behind.

Honestly, late reply but I feel Kourio is going to have a super advantage over us because he can actually pull burst weapons with those savings XD. Nah seriously though Kouriozan .... what are you saving for? Haha. Might as well get some good meta units while you can. Your gem stash is absolutely massive! I love the dedication... even on BE you somehow have thousands and thousands of lapis and here I am back at 11k lol. I wish I could play as long and save like you tbh.

No Red XIII or Reno in that datamine, aw yeah global first here we come! :)

Glad Rikku finally gets to join though, and that it's her X model. The third alt costumes being recolors are disappointing though, especially if they're paid content and rather than optional color choices.

I posted that I think last week or two ago and I'm not even sure if it means anything. Rikku has been in the files for such a long time. I won't get my hopes up here xD. Btw, I'm really sorry you had to pity Barett but I hope Tifa Purple gonna break faces for you. She's seriously amazing.

Hey nice to see you back! Squall is top tier in JP cause of the new weapon tier that released a few months ago called Burst. It is extremely rare though but yes in Global he is still good. I believe the drop rate is gonna be 3% off a multi and 0.1% off a ticket so yeah.... However, many of us feared ex drop rates but most of us have pulled lots of ex on tickets. Stockpile tickets! They are very useful.

Beginner tips: DONT STRESS ABOUT CHAOS/COSMOS. Right now just get your units all leveled to 70/70 by doing cycle quests, enjoy the story if you can (it gets good around a few chapers in) If you love FF interaction then you should be able to relax and enjoy the scenes. Story gives a lotttt of gems because there is normal and hard mode. Plus, you have tons of lost chapters you can tackle when sufficiently leveled. Most have been all power crept right now except the later ones which have cosmos/chaos stages which imo you should wait on before doing them! Dont stress about it until you have a sufficient tank, and two good dps or a healer. Basically, if you do all this grinding you should be at a crazy gem supply to build your roster. Pull on good characters but favourites first is an option (like myself) I never stop pulling for favourites which i'm pretty sure you noticed in the BE thread lol. The game is all about patience and party building. Right now if I were you i'd probably try to get Warrior of light up. His shields will pretty much carry you when you have his weapons. Even at 60/60 he is extremely serviceable.

And I see you already pulled Squall which is great! He's really good right now but when he gets Burst he will be god tier. By the way, like everyone else said do the crystal quests, story, and summon boards. To access a summon board you need a summon at 20 and you can get all the materials for each summon under the world of illusions tab. Summon board grinding can go by very fast with powerful characters. Each character in the game has a summonboard and they recently added wild points which help a ton. There are plenty and I mean PLENTY of resources in Opera Omnia for free to play players. You just have to manage stuff very carefully.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow. That went back pretty fast. haha! I'll take your word for it. Hopefully I'll be able to get both.

I just realized Brothers Ultimate is 4 days after Emperor's banner. So I'll be able get enough gems for a pity if the worst case happens.

;)

Only reason to skip her is if you already have tons of supports, and even then id still pull for her cuz she is so good

So I finally got around to finishing Basch's Chaos a couple of hours ago.... sometimes this threads gives me no notifications and I have it on watch lol. Seems I missed a ton of posts...... Basch's chaos was actually one of my favourites. I think delayers really made me lucky but man I feel like Basch is super required if you dont cheese it. It seemed impossible without him at first but then a combination of Cloud paralyze, Y'shtola stone delaying (I know boss absorbs earth) but the delay and dmg was still very welcome and Ultimecia's free turns really helped. I was sweating because I nearly ran out of skills when the boss hit red and trust me he just never ever fkn died. He has SO MUCH HP it was pretty hilarious.

I regret not building Basch for this but i'm glad I got it done.

Congrats but you shouldn't feel bad about not building basch. I skipped him because as good as he is, there were other yellows that I wanted more than him like Yshtola, Tifa, and Baltheir. I actually managed to pull his ex off some tickets, but he is still lvl 1 and i dont plan to touch him until his LC

Based on what I remember from your roster, if you pull rosa and emporer then you should be set and solid for some time and should be able to complete future chaos easier than you do now

Anyways I am preparing for my interview and remembered I had Dissidia summon flags and wanted to see if they look nice as a background. The stuff in the foreground will not be there when I go live, but it's more about what FF stuff I have that I think will look nice as a display during the interview

I would appreciate everyones thoughts on the set up!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, late reply but I feel Kourio is going to have a super advantage over us because he can actually pull burst weapons with those savings XD. Nah seriously though Kouriozan .... what are you saving for? Haha. Might as well get some good meta units while you can. Your gem stash is absolutely massive! I love the dedication... even on BE you somehow have thousands and thousands of lapis and here I am back at 11k lol. I wish I could play as long and save like you tbh.
Heh, I've seen people with 1M gems on reddit/Gamefaqs, doubt I'll reach that unless we get 167k gems in January/February, because a lot of good characters come afterward, and we don't know about that GL first character.

Last edited: