• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Sad for the people that still wish to continue to putting time into it but this game was not what I wanted after those PSP versions.

Why did they even attempt to go into the competitive arcade brawler market with this series? Feels like the game was one thing and then SE turned the car around and took an exit that we had already passed 20 mins ago. So weird.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I was really disapointed by the underwhelming solo, but at least it "made sense" since they clearly went for the multiplayer aspect of the game.. which make the lack of cross-play and late PC release even more disapointing.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
It's not often a company can assert a definitive 'this series is dead' by announcing there will be no more sequels ever.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It really wasn't worth the time, huge buyer remorse from me. Sad that it kill any return to form (or just port Duodecim)
I figured with the 12 people that play it on steam, it wasn't really profitable as well.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't expecting them to outright kill it but yeah, they made a lot of bad choices with this though.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily my most disappointing game of the generation. I was so hyped for a console Dissidia. I sunk hundreds of hours into the PSP version and then I did so again once 012 Duodecim came out. I put ten minutes into the demo for this one. That's all I needed to play to know it wasn't for me

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
This game had too much baggage to succeed. People wanted a RPG and this was never going to satisfy that. It's a shame though. Dissidia is an incredible brawler with a ton of amazing ideas and well executed fighting mechanics. I want to believe that if it had better online infrastructure it would've done better but again, it was competing with people's nostalgia of the PSP games so it was never going to do well.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this was coming, but it still hurts. The datamine still had data for multiple unreleased characters, so I hope Square gives them a second chance at a sequel. Hopefully this time now that most of the old characters are here they can focus on newcomers and the single player content that made 012 so great.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Weirdly, I tried to play this yet again (I always disliked it)but I'm having some kind of fun with it now? dunno what it changed but yeah, there's some good stuff in this I didn't appreciate before.

It's strange that they finish support, the game seems pretty popular in Japan. It's always one of the most streamed fighters on PSN during japanese hours.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The series is probably stuck on mobile as far as meaty singleplayer stuff (it's a fun game, but obviously not ideal).

Feb 16, 2020
I wonder what could be done with this premise and a 2D or limited 3D fighting game style. Square Enix has the money that I think they could provide a needed alternative to the current Capcom/Arcsys/Netherrealm big 3.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game had too much baggage to succeed. People wanted a RPG and this was never going to satisfy that. It's a shame though. Dissidia is an incredible brawler with a ton of amazing ideas and well executed fighting mechanics. I want to believe that if it had better online infrastructure it would've done better but again, it was competing with people's nostalgia of the PSP games so it was never going to do well.

I dunno about the nonstagia or the well executed bits man. There was more to 012 that was going on mechanically that got stripped back for everybody in this game, and 012 was much more simpler with less interface abuse

012 was infinitely more approachable than new dissidia and that's even including the updates.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I enjoyed seeing new character movesets and costumes, even if playing the game itself was cumbersome. Das kinda lame. But hey, it lasted quite a bit. and it was indeed a failure outside of arcades...

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
When they say no new sequel, I hope they mean no direct sequel to this title, and not no new Dissidia in the future. This game was a huge misfire in pretty much every way after the great PSP games.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Also, doing a livestream to say they're killing the game. This is FFXV all over again. SE please lol

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I'm not sure it's just nostalgia. I first played 012 Duodecim around the release of NT & would still say the PSP game is much better.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about the nonstagia or the well executed bits man. There was more to 012 that was going on mechanically that got stripped back for everybody in this game, and 012 was much more simpler with less interface abuse

012 was infinitely more approachable than new dissidia and that's even including the updates.

The nostlgia is mostly there for the RPG bits and I don't blame anyone, it's what everyone liked about the series in the first place but as it's own thing NT was really good. Sure it has a bit of a rough barrier of entry and the PSP games were more approachable but this game is a whole different beast as it's focused around teamplay so I don't quite think it's fair to keep comparing it to the PSP games. When playing with actual people it's an insane amount of fun and a lot of effort went into balancing each character and it shows. I'm just sad because the game deserved better. They were trying a lot of cool things mechanically

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it's just nostalgia. I first played 012 Duodecim around the release of NT & would still say the PSP game is much better.

I'm not saying the PSP games were worse than NT. Far from it, but majority of people fell in love with the series because of it's RPG mechanics. NT is a different game altogether, and granted the PSP games are much easier to get into but once you really get going with NT and play with other people, it's a blast.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The nostlgia is mostly there for the RPG bits and I don't blame anyone, it's what everyone liked about the series in the first place but as it's own thing NT was really good. Sure it has a bit of a rough barrier of entry and the PSP games were more approachable but this game is a whole different beast has it's focused around teamplay so I don't quite think it's fair to keep comparing it to the PSP games. When playing with actual people it's an insane amount of fun and a lot of effort went into balancing each character and it shows. I'm just sad because the game deserved better. They were trying a lot of cool things mechanically

I actually agree with this... and lords know I shat on this game a lot in here, but partly it was my fault to looking for a 012-2. This game is a different beast and when you get the idea this is a team based game it's surprisingly good, if not a little to hard to understand.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I actually agree with this... and lords know I shat on this game a lot in here, but partly it was my fault to looking for a 012-2. This game is a different beast and when you get the idea this is a team based game it's surprisingly good, if not a little to hard to understand.

Exactly that. Once you really get into the team mechanics, gosh, it's an absolute blast. It just desperately needed better online play and maybe some more meat on the SP side to ease people into the game because it's kinda hard to understand at first.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I mean, it's not rocket science.
-Return the 1 v 1 focus with assists, but balance it better than 012
-Build upon the RPG and exploration mechanics of single player layed in previous games and don't take them out completely
-????
-Profit

It really is that fucking simple.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
No sequel to Dissidia is also a mistake. Make Dissidia Musou... Like I know you don't need to keep Dissidia franchize specifically for FF Musou, but it has a ready premise already, that's easy to exploit and repurpose with some brand recognition in addtion to FF.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, a shame it's only in English but the story of Opera Omnia is so much better than the stuff NT got.

Lol it really is. Actually, I much prefer it to the PSP games too. I started about 4 months ago and I'm loving it. Did Zack's LC a few days in prep for his EX+ and man, it was AMAZING. By omitting the background music until the clouds cleared and then changing the music to Price of Freedom is such a small but brilliant way to convey the same emotions Crisis Core did. I love OO a lot.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That's always a shame, but understandable. Nobody was playing it even after it went Free to play on two platforms.
The graphics, music and care for the characters was great. I never got into it because it was a 3v3 though.

Never really understood the PSP fans complaining about that game tbh, I felt it was mostly an improvement over those.

When they say "no plans for a sequel", I'm sure there'll be one in a gen or two from now. Just not based on NT.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
Well that's sad, but i played the free to play version and it was just.... Underwhelming.

They need to make a new ehrgeiz

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame but I'm not surprised its a console game no one wanted.

I just eternally hope this will mean we can finally get a proper 2.5D Final Fantasy fighter

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't they hoping this would catch on as an eSport kinda game, hence the multiplayer focus?

Genuinely surprised they supported it as long as they did. Seems like it was either out of goodwill or keeping their planned development cycle in tact.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RIP Zack and Vivi

Hopefully one day they'll make a 1v1 sequel that feels more like the PSP games.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
No sequel to Dissidia is also a mistake. Make Dissidia Musou... Like I know you don't need to keep Dissidia franchize specifically for FF Musou, but it has a ready premise already, that's easy to exploit and repurpose with some brand recognition in addtion to FF.
Ngl I'd love a final fantasy warriors game, I even once wrote them a letter on a Final Fantasy 7 warriors game. I really hope either SE make a game like it themselves or get Koei or capcom to make one

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
If they had to make it team based, they honestly should have just done 2v2. Gundam EXVS shows that 2v2 definitely works in a lot of areas (like for instance, you're not going to be fighting with the lock on if you need to target a specific enemy; it's either one or the other).

I tried to give Dissidia NT a chance early but... 3v3 was just unmanageable most of the time (and most of the matches favored either heavy projectile spam, or unga bunga Cloud/Lightning/Noctis teams). It's a shame but NT managed to overwhelmingly disappoint not just being a 012 sequel, but even being an arena fighter

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's always a shame, but understandable. Nobody was playing it even after it went Free to play on two platforms.
The graphics, music and care for the characters was great. I never got into it because it was a 3v3 though.

Never really understood the PSP fans complaining about that game tbh, I felt it was mostly an improvement over those.

When they say "no plans for a sequel", I'm sure there'll be one in a gen or two from now. Just not based on NT.

There was a lot of people playing... But all in japanesd hours. The fanbase of this game is basically japanese only, the game is death on western hours. Heck If I'm not mistaken the japanese version had more giveaways and stuff inside the game that the western version lacks.

Another problem is the matchmaking being horrible.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Well, they only said big updates so dlc costumes are still a go I guess. (They are expensive af tho).

I'm happy this game lasted long though, and really hope they expand upon it more next time and give fans a proper campaign mode I guess.

This game gave Tactics some love and I will always appreciate that.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Stream I am watching insists that theya re only cutting off home releases and are preparing for season 3 of characters for Arcade. Is this true?

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Well I hope Team Ninja utilises what they've learnt from this game as a base to develop a Dead Fantasy game that would make Monty Oum cream his panties from the heavens where he resides. The 3 vs 3 style is practically perfect for such a crossover.