• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A violent PlayStation game featuring scenes of an abusive single father appearing to beat his pre-teen daughter to death has prompted calls for Australian stores to boycott it.

The objective of the game, which is scheduled for release in Australia next year, is for players to act as an android housemaid who must protect a girl from the violent outbursts of her father.

One scene shows Todd, the father, choking the housekeeper by the neck, and going up the stairs of his rundown home to beat his daughter with a belt.

"It's all over now, daddy isn't angry anymore," Todd says, after the beating, appearing to lay the lifeless body of young Alice on her bed.

The National Association for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (NAPCAN) told Nine.com.au the game Detroit: Become Human was "very disturbing" and called on Australian stores to not stock it.

Waters said NAPCAN would be "advocating strongly" for serious expert consideration of the game, prior to any classification decisions being made in Australia.

"We also call on stores to take a responsible stand with regard to games such as this reaching their shelves," Waters said.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...domestic-violence-plot-shocks-advocacy-groups

We had this topic yesterday with the UK's favourite toilet paper, the Daily Mail. Understandably, it got closed. VG247, is running it again in the UK, but they're referencing the DM. No point in sourcing that, however, as above, it's now been brought up on Australian shores from NAPCAN with a call around potential censorship/banning.

I guess there is going to be a bit of mainstream attention around Detroit, pre-release.

As for criticism of this, do keep in mind it is a sensitive topic for some (while I don't advocate banning fiction like this at all, be mindful in responses). This post is worth reading from the other topic https://www.resetera.com/posts/1686130/

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading that earlier. It's all rubbish. They're angry because it's a video game and we all know video games are bad and are only played by violent people who crave more violence.

I say crack on with it. The more stuff like this is done in games, the more people will become accustom to it. Maybe one day non-gamers will actually respect the industry.

Bah, who am I kidding.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Like, I can understand a game having this as major plot points and all.
It' a provocative subject that can lead to a deep story.

I don't understand how they justified using it as marketing at a major world wide event

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
This type of subject matter should not be off limits, calls for a boycott are silly. People like this are the types of blatant reactionaries who see something they think is heinous, without observing context or considering the fact that maybe the game sees you helping the girl improve her living situation, something deeply needed for children who unfortunately find themselves in scenarios like that one.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
A part of me believes David Cage might be secretly loving the press this is getting.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017

I don't understand how they justified using it as marketing at a major world wide event
Probably the idea was that, at it's core, it's a message of anti-violence. You're the android trying to stop the father and protect the girl. I could understand people losing their minds if they had you play as the father or something, but this is completely different. Movies (and even live theatre) have shown and done way, way "worse."

Also, at the core of this is that there are those out there who still think that if it's a game it must be for kids and therefore is aimed at kids and WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN. There's a ratings system in place, parents need to be responsible for what their children consume, but they're more likely ignore that and expect media creators to do the babysitting for them.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The subject matter should definitely not be off limits but trusting David Cage to handle it well is like leaving a 3 year old home alone with crayons.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the abuse scene is literally a QTE where you beat your child or some other form of you interacting with an abuse scenario..... where is the controversy?

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
So what is the problem for games to tackle a serious topic/issue? It's no longer a entertainment medium for kids, if anything, we should have more games which explores more serious, dark, uncomfortable stuff. Books do that, movies do that, so why not games?

With that said, I have very little confidence in David Cage being able to write a good story, but maybe I would be wrong when game comes out, who knows. But certainly would like this to be handled with someone more competent. Apologies David Cage fans.

The subject matter should definitely not be off limits but trusting David Cage to handle it well is like leaving a 3 year old home alone with crayons.

Yeah, this...

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its fine to use this if youre respectful, but nothing about this has been anything more than Cage stroking his own dick at how artsy and deep he is.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

That's not any different. It's not like they were marketing it as "LOOK AT THIS GAME WHERE YOU CAN BEAT UP KIDS!!"

It was just a dramatic clip of the game that showed several other parts too, none in any particularly distasteful manner.

If something is ok to include in the game it's ok to market the game as including that thing.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
That's not any different.

It was just a dramatic clip of the game that showed several other parts too.

If something is ok to include in the game it's ok to market the game as including that thing.
I don't think that's true at all.
Trailers have to be approved to run along side movies and edited so they don't raise the rating of the viewing.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
While the topic is definitely a sensitive issue, the double standard towards video games always bothers me. People will not bother paying attention if this is in a book or a movie, but a """video game"""? How dare they!

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think that's true at all.
Trailers have to be approved to run along side movies and edited so they don't raise the rating of the viewing.

Isn't that usually so they can be broadcast on TV or in theatres? Correct me if I'm wrong but this trailer hasn't been shown anywhere like that in which kids could see it (outside of negligent parents).

Status
Not open for further replies.