• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was E3 2019's press conference showings (both games and presenters) more diverse than previously?

• Yes, I was satisfied.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Yes, but we still have work to do.

Votes: 62 51.2%
  • No.

Votes: 17 14.0%

• Total voters

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this out of the way up front. I'm a straight white dude. So I cannot speak to this but I was wondering what other folks thought about how E3 2019 has played out thus far in terms of representation in actual games and the people making and presenting them on stage. Even though the validity of the show and if we need E3 has been a source of debate I always feel like its always a good check for the pulse of the industry.

This year I noticed a lot more women presenters on stage and there were also a lot more games with people of color. Probably still not where we need to be but I felt like it would be worth asking the people who this representation matters to how you came out of E3 feeling about representation for your race/gender identity/sexual orientation.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Improvement, but there will always need to be significant steps forward to take. It's not like after this E3, people can go "ahhhh, our work is done..."

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of publishers were pretty good about diversity and some were not at all. For example I thought Watchdogs Legion was pretty amazing in this respect whereas The Avengers game was the exact opposite. Its a mixed bag overall.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo.

Two black leads and a game set in Japan with a japanese protagonist.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I actually care more about the developer diversity than the protagonist diversity
It was really nice to see a black studio lead (Bethesda) with a game starring dual/duel balck antagonist, a black woman on microsoft stage and a POC studio lead (Avengers) especially the last representing for West Indians (I'm not sure on my guys background but I know he's from trinidad&tobago)
IT was also nice to see quite a few female studio leads

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Improvement, but there will always need to be significant steps forward to take. It's not like after this E3, people can go "ahhhh, our work is done..."
For sure. I didn't mean to insinuate that there is some like golden metric to reach where everyone can just take a break. Its just that I was remembering a lot of the criticisms from past E3's the other day about how all the presenters were all white dudes and just really noticed an actual trending change.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I was very impressed with Deathloop. I hope the game is great and we can get more main characters who are not just a white dude.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I did feel like it was a noticeable improvement for sure, but of mind we can do better. I don't offer that "but" as a teardown of making it to this point, though -- I think it's something worth noting positively and trying to go further.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the exception of Avengers, we saw a great deal more representation in game characters and the developers behind it.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
As a black man from the South (who sees the Confederate flag everywhere) the most I can say is that nothing made me think "wow they need more diversity here this is bullshit I'm extremely upset about it." Not that they didn't but it wasn't jarring enough for me to make a comment. Games-wise I was happy with Deathloop for example and the same with Spiritfarer.

Random but to the Avengers thing, that didn't bother me because hey, those characters have been white for decades lol. We gotta get T'Challa as that first DLC tho.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
For sure. I didn't mean to insinuate that there is some like golden metric to reach where everyone can just take a break. Its just that I was remembering a lot of the criticisms from past E3's the other day about how all the presenters were all white dudes and just really noticed an actual trending change.
There were numerous times where we could see a person of color on stage, talking about their game, or we would see to a POC playable character, and then pan over to another POC playable character. Like... that's such a seemingly innocuous thing, and yet it feels huge in the context of games. There was a conscious effort to avoid the source of those criticisms. This didn't just happen.

I was pretty pleasantly surprised because even 5 years ago, that wouldn't at all be the case. But again, there's still so much progress to be done...

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Was there gay representation in anything shown? I saw none but I didn't watch as much this year.

data

Oct 25, 2017
No, i mean last year where a gay kiss was featured at a major e3 conference for the first time ever.
Oh right, you were talking about last year's trailer.

I'm still disappointed that they're not really marketing much on the game. I feel like they're pushing it to cross gen so that the release date will probably be holiday 2020

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Still don't understand the whole "Avengers Diversity" thing when those characters by default have been white for decades. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 satisfies that category already.

Anyways, glad to see lots of diverse representation this E3. Cyberpunk, Deathloop, Ghostwire, Watch Dogs, Shenmue 3, Gears 5, all big titles with great diverse casts and protagonists across major big banner titles.