• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
divinity-original-sin-2-review-xbox-one-4.jpg

details_banner7pfwz.jpg

Release Date: 31 August 2018
Developers: Larian Studios
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Available Platforms: PC, PS4, XB1
Price: USD 59.99 | GBP 49.99 | EUR59.99 | AUD89.95 | CND 79.99
Download Size: 19.67 GB
Number of Players Offline: 1-2
Number of Players Online: 1-4
Genre: CRPG/Strategy RPG

overview_bannerwmi0j.jpg

The Divine is dead.

The voidwoken besiege Rivellon leaving waste and ruin wherever they pass.

It's up to you and your allies to rise up, fight back, and claim the title of Divine.

In Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive edition you will be presented with countless options for how to interact and survive in the world of Rivellon.

trailers_bannerstici.jpg

reception_banner8mf0z.jpg

Metaritic: 93 | OpenCritic 91

IGN 9.6
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition is a new way to play one of the absolute best RPGs in years...It's flexibility, personality, and charm make for an amazing adventure.

Gamespot 10
From lonely farmhouses through pitched battles with gods in far-flung dimensions, Divinity: Original Sin II is one of the most captivating role-playing games ever made in both its original and Definitive incarnations, with the latter proving that even the most complicated role-players can be ported successfully to gamepad-limited consoles. This immaculately conceived and emotion-wrought fantasy world, topped by brilliant tactical combat, make it one of the finest games of recent years, and it remains an instant classic in the pantheon of RPG greats.

Cubed3 10
Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition is absolutely phenomenal; almost perfect in every way and easily one of the greatest RPGs of not just recent years but all time - easily able to stand alongside the greats not just in this style, like Knights of the Old Republic, but alongside any RPG. It puts Bioware's recent efforts to shame. It's fantastic that it's coming to console and that more people will have an opportunity to play this magnificent masterpiece.

origins_bannerk6dp8.jpg

Though the game allows yo to create your own custom character, you also have the choice of selecting a pre-made "origin" character. This characters have their own side quests, unique voice and dialogue options, and unique abilities!

redprince_banner2zveiw.jpg

The red prince can breath fire, and has the unique ability of draining magic armour from enemies and filling his own!

sebille_bannera7cku.jpg

Sebille can give herself more action points per turn, free herself from any shackle or disability, and eat flesh to gain memories!

beast_bannerqti8a.jpg

Beast can turn enemies to stone and has the unique ability of summoning a blinding storm!

fane_banner78ee9.jpg

Fane can play dead, create time warps, steal the racial passives of every other race, and is a skeleton!

lohse_banner4ji18.jpg

Lohse has the ability to encourage allies making them more powerful, and the unique ability to sing enemies into madness!

ifan_banneriafx6.jpg

Like Lohse he can encourage his allies, but Ifan can also summon a spectral wolf to his aid!

combat_bannerx1e7n.jpg

giphy.gif

Divinity uses a turn based strategy combat system similar to something like X-Com, Wasteland 2, or the Banner Saga.

What makes it unique is how the environment interacts with the gameplay.

See some oil on the ground? Why not set it on fire? Enemies foolishly standing in water? Electrocute them! Or freeze them in place with an ice spell!

Need help starting a fire? Why not pick up a candle in the environment and toss it into the oil!

No water around? Why not stab the enemy, and electrocute the pools of blood they leave behind!
source.gif

Or freeze the blood to make them slip and waste a turn!

Fire everywhere? Put it out with water, and use the steam to remove line of sight for any enemies foolish enough to stick around!

Want to really disrespect your enemy? Why not use a teleportation spell on a heavy treasure chest and drop it on their head!

Divinity shines by rewarding you substantially for being creative in combat.

progression_bannerx7idt.jpg

There are two major factors that will increase your power. Level ups, and loot!

gmm_bannerzyf9v.jpg

New to the game is
Game Master Mode!

If you've ever played D&D the set up will be very familiar to you.

A total of five players join together, four playing as characters, while the fifth is a dungeon master that designed the quest they're undertaking!

The system itself is extremely robust and allows the game to not only generate rolls, but also automatically detects when modifiers should be applied.

links_bannerr3izl.jpg

Official Game Website

Official Twitter
Official Facebook
Official Youtube
Official Twitch

resources_banneri0f10.jpg

Beginners Guide to the game!

Fextralife provides numerous guides and build suggestions!

resources_banneri0f10.jpg

Q: Does this play like Diablo?
A: The combat itself is not real time like Diablo, however there is a big importance on look like Diablo!

Q: Do I need to play the first game to get into this one?

A: Nope! While they are set in the same world, the events in each aren't truly related. The game also does a fantastic job of setting up things up in a clear understandable way!

Q: What are some changes from the original version?
A: Eurogamer has provided a handy article on the changes, but the short answer is A LOT. Eurogamer mentions that there were 45 pages of changes.

Q: I'm new to the genre should I bother with this?
A: Absolutely! The game has multiple difficulty modes including a "story mode" that should ensure everyone can beat it!

Q: What if I'm looking for a real challenge?

A: Good news! The game has Tactician difficulty which makes the AI really challenge you for the most part, and as an added layer of difficulty you can choose Honour mode! (Ironman mode). It would not be recommended to start your first run on Ironman mode however because the game is rather challenging at this difficulty setting, and it doesn't hold your hand!

Q: Local multiplayer? in 2018?!?
A: That's correct! Every version of the game (Including PC) has a split-screen option for local play with one additional player! However you can play with a total of three friends if you go online!
Stuff that I missed! (Whoops)
This is my first OT so sorry for it being rough! I'm sure I've missed stuff, so if you notice anything missing that should be in the OP please let me know and I'll update it as needed!

If you're new to the game please feel free to ask any questions!

Also credit to
ClearMetal for the OT name!

You should also include some information on the extra Dungeon master mode. Not necessary, but it'd be nice.
Added!

Just wanted to post another thank you to ClearMetal who very kindly provided new banners for the OT!

Last edited:

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Loving this game again. Enjoying the balance changes but I'm trying to figure out the most OP build.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if the PC version supports the full enlarged console version UI when playing with a controller? I know, I know, it's a sin to play this game on PC with a controller but I still wanna know. :)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Finally, the OT that the game deserves.

I've only played the definitive version for a few hours last week, and I didn't really notice the changes/improvements outside of the new tutorial and inventory UI. Judging by the Eurogamer article, lots of the changes are minor and I probably need to play more to see them.

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the PC version supports the full enlarged console version UI when playing with a controller? I know, I know, it's a sin to play this game on PC with a controller but I still wanna know. :)
I haven't checked on this edition, but going from memory on the original version the UI scales up when a controller is connected.

GOTY got GOTYier.

Great OT!
Thanks!

Finally, the OT that the game deserves.

I've only played the definitive version for a few hours last week, and I didn't really notice the changes/improvements outside of the new tutorial and inventory UI. Judging by the Eurogamer article, lots of the changes are minor and I probably need to play more to see them.
Yeah, there also lots of balance changes (such as to lone wolf and certain spells.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time playing this (or any cRPG really) and I'm really enjoying my time with it. I really love the combat system in particular. The game does a good job of making every encounter feel meaningful and also unique due to the fact that whatever environment you're in determines a lot of your options and possibilities during a fight. Really great and fun system to play around with.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Good to have an official OT. Thanks for putting in the effort to make one (I fully admit I was too lazy :p).

A bit of feedback: some of the images are really big. Not a problem if it's one or two of them, but this might be a bit much. Might be better to put them between quote tags. In case of the characters: would it be an idea if I put my Photoshop skills to good use and create banners for them? It's almost time for me to hit the hay, but I can work on them tomorrow.

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good to have an official OT. Thanks for putting in the effort to make one (I fully admit I was too lazy :p).

A bit of feedback: some of the images are really big. Not a problem if it's one or two of them, but this might be a bit much. Might be better to put them between quote tags. In case of the characters: would it be an idea if I put my Photoshop skills to good use and create banners for them? It's almost time for me to hit the hay, but I can work on them tomorrow.
Hey thanks for the feedback! I'll make that change now to the bottom pictures in particular and the character pictures!

And banners would be great! I tried creating some today (pretty basic but I think they worked) but for the life of me I couldn't get them to actually stick (the image kept breaking lol)

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is it possible to delete the classic edition from the game files after you download it? I would much rather have something taking up like 25gb instead of 55gb on my SSD.

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to delete the classic edition from the game files after you download it? I would much rather have something taking up like 25gb instead of 55gb on my SSD.
I had a quick look online and it looks like as long as you delete the "classic" folder you should be all good.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I watched the early playthrough on youtube, i feel so enticed by red prince. He has that fierce face, but when you meet him it turns out he is pretty funny guy lizard. Like really really absurdly funny.

And that combat gif in the op, does it also represent the ps4 gameplay? That gif actually looks cool, i wonder if ps4 also does it like that

Too bad i do not play this game in september since i literally chose DQ XI, but i will play it next month

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Cool OT! (It's Lohse btw, not Loshe)

Edit : You should also include some information on the extra Dungeon master mode. Not necessary, but it'd be nice.

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the early playthrough on youtube, i feel so enticed by red prince. He has that fierce face, but when you meet him it turns out he is pretty funny guy lizard. Like really really absurdly funny.

And that combat gif in the op, does it also represent the ps4 gameplay? That gif actually looks cool, i wonder if ps4 also does it like that

Too bad i do not play this game in september since i literally chose DQ XI, but i will play it next month

The spells/interaction should be exactly the same on console.
The base consoles are native 1080p and the Pro version and X version are 4k (I believe upscaled on pro, native on X but not entirely sure)

In particular the raining fire gif is meteroite shower, and it literally oil on the ground causing even more explosions!

Cool OT! (It's Lohse btw, not Loshe)
*spits coffee out and runs to computer to fix* sorry about that!

Edit : You should also include some information on the extra Dungeon master mode. Not necessary, but it'd be nice.

Will add it right now!

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
The spells/interaction should be exactly the same on console.
The base consoles are native 1080p and the Pro version and X version are 4k (I believe upscaled on pro, native on X but not entirely sure)

In particular the raining fire gif is meteroite shower, and it literally oil on the ground causing even more explosions!

*spits coffee out and runs to computer to fix* sorry about that!

Will add it right now!
And another question is it srpg? Strategy rpg like ff tactics (the one with the ramza)? Op mentioned game examples, but i literally never play those

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And another question is it srpg? Strategy rpg like ff tactics (the one with the ramza)? Op mentioned game examples, but i literally never play those
Yes it is a strategy rpg!

Each character has a certain amount of action points which determines how much they can do on their turn. This can be anything from moving on the battlefield, to attacking multiple times!

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
I am so happy this has finally released on consoles. Still in Act 1, but loving every single minute of it. Kind of wish it was a tad bit harder though. Was the difficulty reworked for this release?

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to experiencing local co-op on the PS4 with both my partner and my brother. It's a little disappointing that it only supports one additional player, but that's my own fault for assuming it would support four player co-op. I won't be buying this for a couple more weeks, while I focus on Destiny 2: Forsaken, but I'm eager to revisit the world of Divinity. I had so much fun with the first, even if I didn't finish it.

Does Pet Pal make a return?

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! You're doin' God's work, OP.

That OT title tho :D

I'm still in the midst of finishing the first, but I'll be on this bad boy soon enough.
Ha nice prediction there!

I am so happy this has finally released on consoles. Still in Act 1, but loving every single minute of it. Kind of wish it was a tad bit harder though. Was the difficulty reworked for this release?
There was quite a number of balance changes done, I can link to a video that covers the more prominent ones if you like! Also what difficulty are you on?

Does Pet Pal make a return?
It does indeed!

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm now in act 2.
My party now looks like this:
1. Undead Player Character "Shadow Dancer" ( dual wielding +Scoundrel + Polymorph)
2. Fane "Death Knight" (Two handed + Warfare + Necromany)
3. Lohse "Ranger" (Huntsman + Summoner)
4. Sebille Torturer (Necromany + Torturer trait + elemental magic for status effects/CC/support)

Also, the chicken quest was bugged, but I could still kind of finish it by going to next quest npc.
I couldn't get the better reward, but it's better than nothing.
IDoes Pet Pal make a return?
Better than ever.
Some animal have quests that you can only get with pet pal.
Talking to Rats is fun in general as well.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the PC version has the same controller-friendly UI if you choose to play with a controller. And if you're already familiar with the UI in the initial OS2 release, the Definitive Edition comes with a few improvements.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
After beating the regular game last year in solo, these days I started a coop game with the same guy I played the first one... and I must say I'm really, really sad you can't mess with the other's conversations anymore.

It was a brilliant feature the first game had, making any dialog an exciting moment to roleplay and/or troll you comrade. A shame.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to get my copy and start. I've played the first one and I remember I used to be able to heal off of poison. Is this still possible?

Also, I am thinking of building my characters to cover all my bases — what do enemies spam a lot this time around so I can build resistances against them early? I'm trying to not have to restart because I built my character wrong for the beginning of the game (which is usually the hardest part of Divinity). I always end up restarting and re-making my characters anyways :C

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to get my copy and start. I've played the first one and I remember I used to be able to heal off of poison. Is this still possible?
If you're character is undead then you start with that passive!

Also, I am thinking of building my characters to cover all my bases — what do enemies spam a lot this time around so I can build resistances against them early?
Oh the combat is pretty different from the first this time around! You now have armour and magic armour (and enemies have their own). You have to chew through one or the other to deal health damage, and CC can only be triggered if it's associated armour has been removed!

As a result a balanced party can be pretty useful since different specializations have higher armour or magic armour, and thus are better at dealing with certain threats!

Talking to Rats is fun in general as well.
For me talking to dogs always makes my day.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Oh the combat is pretty different from the first this time around! You now have armour and magic armour (and enemies have their own). You have to chew through one or the other to deal health damage, and CC can only be triggered if it's associated armour has been removed!

As a result a balanced party can be pretty useful since different specializations have higher armour or magic armour, and thus are better at dealing with certain threats!
Woah... really? Hmmm this worries me a bit (sounds tough), but I'll have to see how it works out in play.

My immediate thought upon hearing this is to build an all undead mage party and just nuke the place. Anything with low magic armor gets disintegrated in a barrage of AoEs. Anything that has magic armor will have to deal with a league of mages raining down hell upon them. Chewing through their M. Armor like like an overcooked steak. I am assuming there are one or two mages on every battlefield? If I have a team of mages (with high magic armor passives) I should outlast them.

If this doesnt work, I will come back in this thread crying like a baby.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also, I am thinking of building my characters to cover all my bases — what do enemies spam a lot this time around so I can build resistances against them early? I'm trying to not have to restart because I built my character wrong for the beginning of the game (which is usually the hardest part of Divinity). I always end up restarting and re-making my characters anyways :C
Undead characters heal from poison, but take damage from healing spells (except necromancy).
Not sure about resistances, but the game has physical/magical armor system.
You have to break the armor by doing enough damage before you can apply debuffs.
Because of that you should either focus on dealing damage with magic or physical attacks.

You can respec shortly after leaving the starting Island, which took me about 20 hours on tactical with every side quest I could find finished.

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Woah... really? Hmmm this worries me a bit (sounds tough), but I'll have to see how it works out in play.
I feel it's a good system that helps stop enemies from successfully spamming stuff over and over.

My immediate thought upon hearing this is to build an all undead mage party and just nuke the place. Anything with low magic armor gets disintegrated in a barrage of AoEs. Anything that has magic armor will have to deal with a league of mages raining down hell upon them. Chewing through their M. Armor like like an overcooked steak. I am assuming there are one or two mages on every battlefield? If I have a team of mages (with high magic armor passives) I should outlast them.
Ahh the nuke everything strategy! It's a fun one! Just be aware that while standing in a poison pool heals you, that shit's explosive and the enemy knows it :p

Also there are hybrid damage dealers that can be specced to doing one or the other (summoners for example, or rangers).

If this doesnt work, I will come back in this thread crying like a baby.
lol.

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I keep restarting because I keep thinking of new builds I wanted to try from the start T_T

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason to play the first game before this one?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: wait nevermind! Lol I read it wrong. It says forgiving. I guess story mode and explorer share similarities in that they are easier.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really a continuation of the story or anything, so personally I'd say not really.

Just the classic "ey, it's quite a fine game". It has some issues (that may or may not annoy you) and it may not be as refined as this one, but it's still a hell of a game.

Guess than I'm going to jump straight onto this one then, since I don't have many experience in this kind of games and I want to play the most refined experience possible

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is the font size in this game? Is it scaleable? I'd want to be able to play it from my TV without having to strain my eyes.

Good job on the OP by the way Reven Wolf

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even have the game yet but I keep getting excited looking into it and reading the thread, and have a squad decided - Lohse as main due to the inner dialogue stuff, Fane, Red Prince and Ifan. I just need to buy the damn game now...

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
One major complaint on the PS4 version: The "(Player) did (action)" text always appears right in the middle of the screen on top of the enemy health bar, making it almost impossible to see. It also sometimes lingers into the next turn.

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is the font size in this game? Is it scaleable? I'd want to be able to play it from my TV without having to strain my eyes.
If you're using a controller with your setup it will automatically adjust the UI to be like the console version so playing from the tv tv like that should be fine.

Good job on the OP by the way Reven Wolf

Cheers!

Fane and Red Prince in a party is smugness overload.
I just love Game's reaction to animals if he's the MC.

"Oh hello there... Little.... Furry... Thing?"

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Here we go again. I'm getting "restartitis" again like I did with dos1. I constantly feel like I could do better with a different starting build no matter how prepared I thought I was.

Anyways, his fucking game rocks holy shit. This game is 10 times better than the first. The fucking origin stories are sick at. The graphics look waaaay better. The voice acting is is superb! My favorite character so far is ifan. I feel like he is gonna be a total bro throughout the game. He seems... familiar too as well. Can't quite place it. His voice. Did he do lines for the civilization games as well?