• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I am at level 10 in act II, wandering outside Driftwood. I keep getting my ass kicked in most fights. I win them but usually with 2-3 of my party members dead. And I'm only taking on fights where the enemies are at or below my level. Anyone have some general battle tips?

My party is Fane as Mage, Dwarf as Scoundrel+Polymorph, Lohse as Wind & Water + Summoning Wizard, and Ifan as Wayfarer + Ranged bow with a little bit of Geomancer. I just had a really rough fight with 4 possessed dwarfs. They were all positioned above my party and had the high ground. I beat them but just barely. I have played about 25-30 hours of the game but still don't feel totally confident in most fights.

Oct 28, 2017
I am at level 10 in act II, wandering outside Driftwood. I keep getting my ass kicked in most fights. I win them but usually with 2-3 of my party members dead. And I'm only taking on fights where the enemies are at or below my level. Anyone have some general battle tips?

My party is Fane as Mage, Dwarf as Scoundrel+Polymorph, Lohse as Wind & Water + Summoning Wizard, and Ifan as Wayfarer + Ranged bow with a little bit of Geomancer. I just had a really rough fight with 4 possessed dwarfs. They were all positioned above my party and had the high ground. I beat them but just barely. I have played about 25-30 hours of the game but still don't feel totally confident in most fights.

Who's your tank? Do you have Summoning lvl 10?
How does your battles usually flow? What's your strenght? What's your weakness? What's your battle plan?

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
Who's your tank? Do you have Summoning lvl 10?
How does your battles usually flow? What's your strenght? What's your weakness? What's your battle plan?
Fane can deal the most damage. Lohse has only 3 points on summoning at the moment and Beast and Fane each have only one.
My weakness is probably removing magic armor and healing effectively. All enemies always know Fane is undead and I have trouble keeping him alive. A strength is probably mobility. Beast and Ifan can each teleport and Fane has the bullrush skill so I can move him when I need to. I also have lots of spells, very many for each character.
I open most fights with Beast using backstab and ruptured tendon. I then move Fane into the center of the action and get Ifan to a high position, keeping Lohse out of danger, casting weather spells and healing.
Is Leech a worthwhile perk for the battle mage? I am thinking about respec-ing Fane and giving it to him.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

for Fane and Lohse: being magic casters, even if it seems counterintuitive, give them a 1 hand wand and a shield. put them apart so Lohse can cure with AoE water spells without hurting Fane. reading your next comment, Leech on Fane is useless he can't bleed đź‘€It's a great talent if you synergize it with a Necro + blood rain
For the scoundrel ( and wayfarer too): all physical damage scales with warfare, be it melee or ranged. it's paramount, points in ranged and scoundrel should be less than warfare, you need them to unlock higher tier related skills but at level 10 you probably don't have that problem yet.

on a more general note, having most of your items at the level you are is good, vendors resets the items every time you level up
there's a lot more but this should do for now

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
for Fane and Lohse: being magic casters, even if it seems counterintuitive, give them a 1 hand wand and a shield. put them apart so Lohse can cure with AoE water spells without hurting Fane. reading your next comment, Leech on Fane is useless he can't bleed đź‘€It's a great talent if you synergize it with a Necro + blood rain
For the scoundrel ( and wayfarer too): all physical damage scales with warfare, be it melee or ranged. it's paramount, points in ranged and scoundrel should be less than warfare, you need them to unlock higher tier related skills but at level 10 you probably don't have that problem yet.

on a more general note, having most of your items at the level you are is good, vendors resets the items every time you level up
there's a lot more but this should do for now
Thank you for these tips! I did not know that about the items resetting. And I did not know this tip about warfare! That seems crucial. I was wondering why my scoundrel damage was so low. I will go back to the ship and re-spec the party a little bit, and I'll give Lohse a wand and shield.

One more question: I have almost all of my points in Fane in Warfare, and he has some Pyro points too. Does this sound like a good set up for a damage dealing melee tank? or should I pick a different magic. I re-specced him after act I because then he was a Necromancer and I found that really useless at the lower levels, but I could return to it or try something else.

If you think of any other ideas I'm all ears. I'm all in on this game. When it clicks together I think its one of the best I've played.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Thank you for these tips! I did not know that about the items resetting. And I did not know this tip about warfare! That seems crucial. I was wondering why my scoundrel damage was so low. I will go back to the ship and re-spec the party a little bit, and I'll give Lohse a wand and shield.

One more question: I have almost all of my points in Fane in Warfare, and he has some Pyro points too. Does this sound like a good set up for a damage dealing melee tank? or should I pick a different magic. I re-specced him after act I because then he was a Necromancer and I found that really useless at the lower levels, but I could return to it or try something else.

If you think of any other ideas I'm all ears. I'm all in on this game. When it clicks together I think its one of the best I've played.

that's the thing, a damage dealer melee tank is probably not gonna work lol, your spreading too much

let's take your example a War/Pyr

All magic damage scales by point in the relative school and is influenced by INT
Pyro is the most offensive of magic school, majority of spells are AoE and DoT due to the burning status
Physical damage scales with warfare, melee weapons are mostly influenced by STR, with the exception of Staves (INT) and Daggers&Spears (FIN)
that don't leave a lot of space for tanking, with attributes skills and schools spread too thin

the goal is to strip armor to enemies to apply status/effects and them skipping attack turns
either MA or PA, ideally targeting the lesser one
on the other hand it's easier to build an entire party focused on physical or magic damage than a mixed one

this is all general stuff

watch this

and check the related https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Divinity+Original+Sin+2+Wiki
for a lot of other stuff like builds, synergies etc

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
that's the thing, a damage dealer melee tank is probably not gonna work lol, your spreading too much

let's take your example a War/Pyr

All magic damage scales by point in the relative school and is influenced by INT
Pyro is the most offensive of magic school, majority of spells are AoE and DoT due to the burning status
Physical damage scales with warfare, melee weapons are mostly influenced by STR, with the exception of Staves (INT) and Daggers&Spears (FIN)
that don't leave a lot of space for tanking, with attributes skills and schools spread too thin

the goal is to strip armor to enemies to apply status/effects and them skipping attack turns
either MA or PA, ideally targeting the lesser one
on the other hand it's easier to build an entire party focused on physical or magic damage than a mixed one

this is all general stuff

watch this

and check the related https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Divinity+Original+Sin+2+Wiki
for a lot of other stuff like builds, synergies etc

Thanks again. I'm glad I asked. I will watch this video again and bulk up on my knowledge.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Great, this thread is still a little active. So I bought this on Xbox One X last night and only played a little of the first game. I spent like 3 hours looking up who to play as, and finally decided on the following:

Main: Lohse as a 2H Crit person
Red Prince as a Geo/Fire Wizard
Fane. ??????
Sebille ??????

I for the life of me can't figure out what class to make Fane and Sebille! I've looked at a Necromancer build using something called Flesh Sacrifice but it sounds really crazy to do and not sure I want that much complexity??? Also I really want a ranger bow-user and it seems SEbille would be good for that but again, I am having a really hard time finding an easy to read, not insanely complex build for a damn ranger.

Does anyone have advice on a Ranger build, and then any idea whether it's best for Fane or Sebille to do that? And then, I just have no idea what I'm missing at that point. What should I make the 4th character??! Any and all advice is welcome - I just want to play the damn game but I'm paralyzed at these last 2 choices lol

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Building a party is by far the hardest part of the game for me. Both the armor system and the way magic can backfire (shocking/burning/poisoning/etc your own party) makes it tough to optimize builds and use them to their best effect in combat.

The armor system in particular, I feel, would have been better if physical and magic armor had been combined into one, with a character's physical/magic resistence determining how much any given physical or magical attack would have damaged their armor.

Great, this thread is still a little active. So I bought this on Xbox One X last night and only played a little of the first game. I spent like 3 hours looking up who to play as, and finally decided on the following:

Main: Lohse as a 2H Crit person
Red Prince as a Geo/Fire Wizard
Fane. ??????
Sebille ??????

I for the life of me can't figure out what class to make Fane and Sebille! I've looked at a Necromancer build using something called Flesh Sacrifice but it sounds really crazy to do and not sure I want that much complexity??? Also I really want a ranger bow-user and it seems SEbille would be good for that but again, I am having a really hard time finding an easy to read, not insanely complex build for a damn ranger.

Does anyone have advice on a Ranger build, and then any idea whether it's best for Fane or Sebille to do that? And then, I just have no idea what I'm missing at that point. What should I make the 4th character??! Any and all advice is welcome - I just want to play the damn game but I'm paralyzed at these last 2 choices lol
Divinity OS2 is a very complex game when it comes to combat. It can be daunting, but don't be intimidated by everything the game throws at you. Do things at your own pace. Guides will tell you to give a character skills X and Y because it synergizes well with ability Z. But if you want to shoot someone with your bow, than you should do just that. Once you gain some experience and learn how the combat system works you can start to experiment with abilities and combos at your own leisure.

One thing you should know: anyone can be anything in Divinity OS2. True, some characters are a little better in some roles than others (such as Lohse making a good critical character because of her inate crit bonus), but there is no real canon class for any character. Fane defaults to Wizard, for example, but I always make him a Shadowblade (rogue/magic hybrid). The only thing classes determine are a character's starting stats, skills and equipment. After that you have full control over how they develop.

This is actually why I tend to make Fane a Shadowblade, even if I want him to become a fighter or mage eventually. Shadowblade lets him start with 1 point into Thievery, letting him pick locks with his own skeletal fingers—forgoing the need for lockpicks. I use him as a rogue for the first few levels, when equipment and skill books are sparse. But as soon as he levels up I invest points into Intelligence and schools like Geomancy and Pyromancy, so he can switch to a mage role once he learns some Geo/Pyro spells.

If you do fuck up: no big deal. You are only locked into your build during the first act; afterwards you get access to a mirror which lets you respec freely and indefinitely. This goes for all characters in your party.

There are whole paragraphs I can write on the difference between physical and magical armor, but that would make things a bit too complex I think. Just go out there, be what you want to be and get a feel for the game. If things don't work out, you can always start over.

Last but not least: the beginning of the game is considered difficult because of your lack of gear and skills. So don't think you are doing something wrong if early-game fights give you a rough time. Best advice is to quicksave often, especially when you feel like a fight could be coming. Try to make the best of things and if things aren't going your way: reload and figure out what you could have done better. Even a simple thing like placing your Ranger somewhere high in advance can make all the difference.

Edit: Oh, and pick up a bed roll. There a couple of them on the ship you start on, for example behind in the rack next to the table Beast is sitting at. Bed rolls can be used out of combat to instantly and fully heal the entire party. Very handy, to say the least.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Building a party is by far the hardest part of the game for me. Both the armor system and the way magic can backfire (shocking/burning/poisoning/etc your own party) makes it tough to optimize builds and use them to their best effect in combat.

The armor system in particular, I feel, would have been better if physical and magic armor had been combined into one, with a character's physical/magic resistence determining how much any given physical or magical attack would have damaged their armor.

Divinity OS2 is a very complex game when it comes to combat. It can be daunting, but don't be intimidated by everything the game throws at you. Do things at your own pace. Guides will tell you to give a character skills X and Y because it synergizes well with ability Z. But if you want to shoot someone with your bow, than you should do just that. Once you gain some experience and learn how the combat system works you can start to experiment with abilities and combos at your own leisure.

One thing you should know: anyone can be anything in Divinity OS2. True, some characters are a little better in some roles than others (such as Lohse making a good critical character because of her inate crit bonus), but there is no real canon class for any character. Fane defaults to Wizard, for example, but I always make him a Shadowblade (rogue/magic hybrid). The only thing classes determine are a character's starting stats, skills and equipment. After that you have full control over how they develop.

This is actually why I tend to make Fane a Shadowblade, even if I want him to become a fighter or mage eventually. Shadowblade lets him start with 1 point into Thievery, letting him pick locks with his own skeletal fingers—forgoing the need for lockpicks. I use him as a rogue for the first few levels, when equipment and skill books are sparse. But as soon as he levels up I invest points into Intelligence and schools like Geomancy and Pyromancy, so he can switch to a mage role once he learns some Geo/Pyro spells.

If you do fuck up: no big deal. You are only locked into your build during the first act; afterwards you get access to a mirror which lets you respec freely and indefinitely. This goes for all characters in your party.

There are whole paragraphs I can write on the difference between physical and magical armor, but that would make things a bit too complex I think. Just go out there, be what you want to be and get a feel for the game. If things don't work out, you can always start over.

Last but not least: the beginning of the game is considered difficult because of your lack of gear and skills. So don't think you are doing something wrong if early-game fights give you a rough time. Best advice is to quicksave often, especially when you feel like a fight could be coming. Try to make the best of things and if things aren't going your way: reload and figure out what you could have done better. Even a simple thing like placing your Ranger somewhere high in advance can make all the difference.

Edit: Oh, and pick up a bed roll. There a couple of them on the ship you start on, for example behind in the rack next to the table Beast is sitting at. Bed rolls can be used out of combat to instantly and fully heal the entire party. Very handy, to say the least.

This is an incredible response thank you! I got so lost in the weeds last night looking at builds and synergies that I just had to turn it off as I was staring at Fane about to have him join me, and just could not decide what to make him.

It's great to hear about respeccing later. So can I use the pre-done classes then for Fane and Sebille? And then just tweak them how I want as they level? I was so worried about totally screwing up and getting stuck lol.

Maybe I'll just COMPLETELY wing it with these
2 lol!!!!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This is an incredible response thank you! I got so lost in the weeds last night looking at builds and synergies that I just had to turn it off as I was staring at Fane about to have him join me, and just could not decide what to make him.

It's great to hear about respeccing later. So can I use the pre-done classes then for Fane and Sebille? And then just tweak them how I want as they level? I was so worried about totally screwing up and getting stuck lol.

Maybe I'll just COMPLETELY wing it with these
2 lol!!!!
Yup! The biggest danger in this game is how it overwhelms you with options and it can be paralyzing especially since you can't oversee whether your builds will be effective later. You have to get yourself out of that min-max mindset and make it up as you go along.

A few additional tips and tricks:
  • In case of magic, Hydro tends to work best with Aero, and Geo with Pyro.
  • Make sure one character has the Pet Pal talent. Either pick it as someone's first (character creation) or second (at level 3) talent. Animals in Divinity are quite talkative and offer you clues or even quests.
  • Your party members can interact with vendors and NPCs just as the player character can.
    • That said, I personally only level Persuasion on the player character since they will do the talking most of the time and can make best use of it.
  • You can examine NPCs and enemies alike. The higher your Loremaster level, the more information you will see.
  • Loremaster and Lucky Charm affect the whole party. For example, if Sebille has Lucky Charm 2, you don't need to switch to her every time you open a container. Same goes for examining people and identifying items. As long as one party member has it, the whole party automatically profits.
  • You can unchain your party members. This lets you move them around individually without the others following them. Especially useful when you prepare for battle.
  • You can switch character during actions. If Lohse is talking to an NPC, you can switch to another party member and pick said NPC's pockets while they are distracted (do remember to leave the immediate surroundings after you are done, since pickpocketed NPCs will look for the culprit afterwards).

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Holy!!! Great tips all around I will keep all this in mind when I play tonight. I'm excite to actually, you know, PLAY the game lol.

Are there enough points in the game to get like Persuasion AND one other thing in that section maxed out or mostly just 1? I put persuasion on my main Lohse already and that made sense but I have no idea if I get more points to put there later or how many. Thanks again- I shall dance at your wedding!!!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Holy!!! Great tips all around I will keep all this in mind when I play tonight. I'm excite to actually, you know, PLAY the game lol.

Are there enough points in the game to get like Persuasion AND one other thing in that section maxed out or mostly just 1? I put persuasion on my main Lohse already and that made sense but I have no idea if I get more points to put there later or how many. Thanks again- I shall dance at your wedding!!!
Hey, I will hold you to that.

You will get Civil Ability points at level 1 and 2, and then after every four levels (so 6, 10, 14, etc.) for a grand total of 10 ability points. You can't invest more than 5 points in a civil ability (though you can raise it further through equipment), so each character can max two civil abilities.

In case of Persuasion it helps that there are different kinds of persuasion—Strength, Intelligence, Wits, etc. The point is that not all of these are available for each persuasion check, which is where the points in persuasion come in. I have actually experienced Lohse (who wasn't the player character in that playthrough) succeeding at two successive persuasion checks despite not having a single point in Persuasion. Simply because her Finesse was so high she didn't need them.

I usually invest two points into Persuasion as soon as possible for the player character and I haven't encountered any persuasion checks that I failed. Same goes for Thievery: there are a few locks in Act I that require level 2, but most locks can be picked with Thievery 1. (Note that you can always just attack and break the locked door—just remember to bring a repair hammer to fix your weapon afterwards).

May 17, 2019
Can someone tell me if the writing improves at all? Finished act 1 a while back, but have been hesitating to go back due to my dislike of how ya cliche the story is. The gameplay is fun and is great for co-op, but the story just felt like a Brandon Sanderson/Robert Jordan romp, which isn't exactly my thing.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So I finally made it past Act I. Story spoilers for what happens immediate afterwards below:

Some Seekers from the Sanctuary of Amadia dying as they steal the Lady Vengeance? Shame, but makes sense. But pulling a "rock meteor falls, everyone dies" on the remaining survivors immediately afterwards? Fuck that. I thought your writing was better than this, game.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a bit of an issue with this game at the moment. I started on tactician and have made it off Fort Joy. It was a struggle but I made it. Now in this new place everywhere I go there is a fight that's a few levels above me and literally impossible. Gearing up is tough because the random itemisation means finding a piece that fits is so difficult. The caused me to shelve the game a while back and I still can't think of a way to progress but want to move forward again.

Anyone have any advice on what to do in this case as I really don't want to start again?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I still don't know if Zaleskar is supposed to be a pun on "sales car" or not, given that he is a merchant standing near a cart.

I also find it shocking how many attacks miss. Feels like more than 1 in 20 times like the 95% accuracy suggests. (I am not counting situations with less accuracy here, naturally.)

Lastly I don't get why your god would bless the ground below you when you are playing an undead. Thanks for the damage, jerk.

I'm having a bit of an issue with this game at the moment. I started on tactician and have made it off Fort Joy. It was a struggle but I made it. Now in this new place everywhere I go there is a fight that's a few levels above me and literally impossible. Gearing up is tough because the random itemisation means finding a piece that fits is so difficult. The caused me to shelve the game a while back and I still can't think of a way to progress but want to move forward again.

Anyone have any advice on what to do in this case as I really don't want to start again?
I haven't gotten far into Act 2 yet, but I have googled a bit and apparently this difficulty spike is a common issue. The most common advice is to do absolutely everything you can do in Driftwood before venturing out.

Though honestly, Tactician sounds like you are in for a rough time no matter what you do.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't know if Zaleskar is supposed to be a pun on "sales car" or not, given that he is a merchant standing near a cart.

I also find it shocking how many attacks miss. Feels like more than 1 in 20 times like the 95% accuracy suggests. (I am not counting situations with less accuracy here, naturally.)

Lastly I don't get why your god would bless the ground below you when you are playing an undead. Thanks for the damage, jerk.

I haven't gotten far into Act 2 yet, but I have googled a bit and apparently this difficulty spike is a common issue. The most common advice is to do absolutely everything you can do in Driftwood before venturing out.

Though honestly, Tactician sounds like you are in for a rough time no matter what you do.

Yeah it turns out there was more stuff I could do and progress so I was moving forward again.

Regarding tactician, I have often wondered if it was the right choice and thought about that warning the game gives but I've come so far now that I just have to keep going.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah it turns out there was more stuff I could do and progress so I was moving forward again.

Regarding tactician, I have often wondered if it was the right choice and thought about that warning the game gives but I've come so far now that I just have to keep going.
Heh, fair enough. It kind of feels like admitting defeat, doesn't it? Letting the game get the better of you. I am playing on Classic myself and there have been moments I wondered if I shouldn't dial it back to Explorer, but so far I stuck with my choice.

Having just explored Driftwood a bit for the first time, I definitely understand the complaints about the difficulty spike. With how much health enemies have, and especially how much damage they suddenly do (a Silent Monk ate up 50 physical armor and half my health bar—another 120 damage or so—in one hit!), the game really expects you to know what you are doing and abuse status effects as much as possible.

Edit:
Man, this stinks. I wanted Fane to look different in human form, so I took the Face Ripper, yanked the face of a human man I deemed handsome enough and crafted a new mask for him. Result: still the default model.

In a game where everything seems possible and you are encouraged to think outside of the box, this feels oddly limiting.

At least I quicksaved before crafting it, so I don't lose the Source Orb.

Last edited:

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this game a few days ago, having a lot of fun with it so far. At least story-wise. I'm in Fort Joy now.

But there are a few things I'm wondering and it would be cool to read some tips:

- How important is the choice of a party in the beginning? I chose Ifan, the rogue, red prince and the dwarf as a party.
- I'm getting my ass handed to me in combat... I've beat a few enemies but, for example, the three crocodiles are just destroying me. It feels like I'm extremely underpowered. Maybe I need to buy some gear for my other party members? They're running around in rags, so...
- If I need to buy gear: who sells it?
- Why can't I see vendors / etc on the map? I only see the yellow blips on the mini-map, but once I zoom in they disappear.
- Can you RUN in this game? Movement speed is kinda slow.

I'm mostly looking for tips for the combat because I think I'm gonna lose a lot of time.

Thanks guys!

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Heh, fair enough. It kind of feels like admitting defeat, doesn't it? Letting the game get the better of you. I am playing on Classic myself and there have been moments I wondered if I shouldn't dial it back to Explorer, but so far I stuck with my choice.

Having just explored Driftwood a bit for the first time, I definitely understand the complaints about the difficulty spike. With how much health enemies have, and especially how much damage they suddenly do (a Silent Monk ate up 50 physical armor and half my health bar—another 120 damage or so—in one hit!), the game really expects you to know what you are doing and abuse status effects as much as possible.

Well, more than that for tactician you cannot change the difficulty once you start so I'm stuck with it unless I start again. So, that's why I don't have a choice but to keep going or start the whole game again.

Anyway I was moaning far too prematurely as it turns out there was loads of stuff I could do both small scale and epic.

Had sex with a lizard and also managed to beat
Mordus
in a pretty epic fight. My team performed amazingly so I guess we are back in business. My squad is Red Prince as a pure fighter, Beast is a polymorphing ranger, Ifan as a fighter/cleric and my character as the mage. It's a bit more of a sausage-fest than I would normally like but the female party members kind of annoyed me in this game.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought this game a few days ago, having a lot of fun with it so far. At least story-wise. I'm in Fort Joy now.

But there are a few things I'm wondering and it would be cool to read some tips:

- How important is the choice of a party in the beginning? I chose Ifan, the rogue, red prince and the dwarf as a party.
- I'm getting my ass handed to me in combat... I've beat a few enemies but, for example, the three crocodiles are just destroying me. It feels like I'm extremely underpowered. Maybe I need to buy some gear for my other party members? They're running around in rags, so...
- Why can't I see vendors / etc on the map? I only see the yellow blips on the mini-map, but once I zoom in they disappear.

I'm mostly looking for tips for the combat because I think I'm gonna lose a lot of time.

Thanks guys!

There is no way to see vendors in the map as far as I know. They are usually around a central square together though but there are some that are spread out as well. I won't say where are it's spoilers. You will need to explore to find them and then remember where they are. Exploring is key in this game so good habit to start.

Yeah combat in this game doesn't pull punches so best to do you prep and be prepared.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Well, more than that for tactician you cannot change the difficulty once you start so I'm stuck with it unless I start again. So, that's why I don't have a choice but to keep going or start the whole game again.

Anyway I was moaning far too prematurely as it turns out there was loads of stuff I could do both small scale and epic.

Had sex with a lizard and also managed to beat
Mordus
in a pretty epic fight. My team performed amazingly so I guess we are back in business. My squad is Red Prince as a pure fighter, Beast is a polymorphing ranger, Ifan as a fighter/cleric and my character as the mage. It's a bit more of a sausage-fest than I would normally like but the female party members kind of annoyed me in this game.
Ah OK, I didn't know the game locks you into Tactician. I have severe alt-itis, so I constantly start over, but I can understand not wanting to do that just to change the difficulty.

My party set-up constantly changes because of the alt-itis. But I usually go for a mixture of melee (2H), archery, one rogue and some support magic. In my current playthrough I have Lohse as a Summoner and she is surprisingly capable. I never used summoning before because at low levels the summoned incarnate is so weak. But once you pour a few points into summoning and learn both infusions, it becomes really strong. I love that the incarnate changes depending on the surface you summon it on and how it has the Opportunist talent.

I also had no idea you can have multiple totems.

Thanks guys!
- You can change party members whenever you want on the first island. After that the choice is final, but the game warns you about it beforehand so don't worry about missing the point of no return.
- You basically want to avoid combat as long as possible in Fort Joy. Try to do as many quests and explore as many areas as you can (since it rewards you exploration bonus xp), which should get you to level 3 without ever drawing your weapon. After that you should be able to tackle every encounter in Fort Joy (although some will remain challenging).
- It is generally not a good idea to spend too much money on gear in the beginning. Money is scarce and you are probably better off buying skill books so you can learn more combat abilities. Luckily the crocodiles drop a piece of gear which lets you teleport characters and objects around. The beginning of the game kind of revolves around using this as much as possible to get access to hidden chests and the like. Trust me when I say there are a lot of them around Fort Joy. I have escaped the place two dozen times by now and I am still discovering new things.
- Everyone, really. The lizard inside the elf cave sells the most gear. But again, try not to spend too much money on it. I usually just buy all the cheap shoes, shirts, pants and gloves (a couple of gold each) just to get a few points of armor before jumping into combat. As for skill books: there are several inmates selling them. Try to make it a habit to trade with everyone you come across just to see if they sell something useful. Trading doesn't interrupt dialogue, so there is no reason not to do it.
- Yeah the map is kind of barebones, although you can add markers yourself. You can have multiple of them and give them custom titles, so they may help.
- Sadly not, although you can select and warp to waypoints from anywhere on the map. This saves some time on backtracking at least.

A few combat tips:
- Focus on one type of damage. It is possible to do a mixed physical/magic party, but it is very hard in the beginning. I personally find it much easier to let everyone deal physical damage and only use magic as support. Once you get to Act II, you can respec freely and infinitely, so you can always switch to a mixed party when you feel you got a solid handle on the combat.
- Try to position your party members before combat. Ranged characters (either bow/crossbow or mages) benefit greatly from high ground as this will greatly increase their range, their damage (in case of Rangers/Wayfarers) and generally keeps them safe from enemies for at least a few turns.
- Have at least one character with the Battering Ram and Battle Stomp. These skills inflict knockdown on enemies that are stripped of their physical armor, forcing them to skip a turn. I cannot overstate how important this is. They require a melee weapon, so your rogue can use them as well if you give them one point of Warfare.
- Rogues do the most damage when backstabbing, so use Backlash on cooldown and otherwise position them manually behind enemies. Talents like The Pawn (the first few meters of movement don't cost an active point) and Duck Duck Goose (lets them avoid attacks of opportunity) are useful for them.
- Speaking of which, always make sure your melee characters have the Opportunist talent. This gives them a free attack as enemies move past them (the aforementioned attack of opportunity). And enemies move around a lot. It's free real estate! đź‘‹
- The game usually autosaves before fights, so don't hesitate to reload when things go south. In fact, it is a valid strategy to use your first attempt to scout the battlefield and look what your options are in terms of terrain and positioning. The game really likes to screw you over with enemies moving first and using the environment against you. But once you know what the game does, you can make preparations and start the fight on your terms.

As for the crocodiles: I recorded a fight to show how I deal with them. No editing, about 6 minutes long:

Custom Character - Elf - Wayfarer
Red Prince - Inquisitor - bought Battle Stomp for him from the lizard in the elf cave
Beast - Shadowblade - actually gimped him by forgetting to equip him with a second dagger, so his damage was on the low side.
Lohse - Summoner - outfitted with a wand and shield. The wand is actually suboptimal because it deals magical damage (while the rest of the party is physical) but it lets her stay at range and keep a shield equiped for additional armor.

In general I always put my archer on the wooden platform and move in the other three party members seperately, pulling them into combat one by one. This is important, because if they weren't unchained they would all enter combat together and you have to waste more active points on walking around.

The only thing that went wrong in this fight was one of the crocodiles oiling Beast. I had hoped they would go after Lohse, since she doesn't need to move anyway. But it all worked out in the end.

Lastly, note how I make sure Red Prince doesn't use more than 2 active points when moving around, so he can still use either Battering Ram or Battle Stomp afterwards. When in doubt, just activate the skill and look at their range before determining how far you need to move.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah OK, I didn't know the game locks you into Tactician. I have severe alt-itis, so I constantly start over, but I can understand not wanting to do that just to change the difficulty.

My party set-up constantly changes because of the alt-itis. But I usually go for a mixture of melee (2H), archery, one rogue and some support magic. In my current playthrough I have Lohse as a Summoner and she is surprisingly capable. I never used summoning before because at low levels the summoned incarnate is so weak. But once you pour a few points into summoning and learn both infusions, it becomes really strong. I love that the incarnate changes depending on the surface you summon it on and how it has the Opportunist talent.

I also had no idea you can have multiple totems.

- You can change party members whenever you want on the first island. After that the choice is final, but the game warns you about it beforehand so don't worry about missing the point of no return.
- You basically want to avoid combat as long as possible in Fort Joy. Try to do as many quests and explore as many areas as you can (since it rewards you exploration bonus xp), which should get you to level 3 without ever drawing your weapon. After that you should be able to tackle every encounter in Fort Joy (although some will remain challenging).
- It is generally not a good idea to spend too much money on gear in the beginning. Money is scarce and you are probably better off buying skill books so you can learn more combat abilities. Luckily the crocodiles drop a piece of gear which lets you teleport characters and objects around. The beginning of the game kind of revolves around using this as much as possible to get access to hidden chests and the like. Trust me when I say there are a lot of them around Fort Joy. I have escaped the place two dozen times by now and I am still discovering new things.
- Everyone, really. The lizard inside the elf cave sells the most gear. But again, try not to spend too much money on it. I usually just buy all the cheap shoes, shirts, pants and gloves (a couple of gold each) just to get a few points of armor before jumping into combat. As for skill books: there are several inmates selling them. Try to make it a habit to trade with everyone you come across just to see if they sell something useful. Trading doesn't interrupt dialogue, so there is no reason not to do it.
- Yeah the map is kind of barebones, although you can add markers yourself. You can have multiple of them and give them custom titles, so they may help.
- Sadly not, although you can select and warp to waypoints from anywhere on the map. This saves some time on backtracking at least.

A few combat tips:
- Focus on one type of damage. It is possible to do a mixed physical/magic party, but it is very hard in the beginning. I personally find it much easier to let everyone deal physical damage and only use magic as support. Once you get to Act II, you can respec freely and infinitely, so you can always switch to a mixed party when you feel you got a solid handle on the combat.
- Try to position your party members before combat. Ranged characters (either bow/crossbow or mages) benefit greatly from high ground as this will greatly increase their range, their damage (in case of Rangers/Wayfarers) and generally keeps them safe from enemies for at least a few turns.
- Have at least one character with the Battering Ram and Battle Stomp. These skills inflict knockdown on enemies that are stripped of their physical armor, forcing them to skip a turn. I cannot overstate how important this is. They require a melee weapon, so your rogue can use them as well if you give them one point of Warfare.
- Rogues do the most damage when backstabbing, so use Backlash on cooldown and otherwise position them manually behind enemies. Talents like The Pawn (the first few meters of movement don't cost an active point) and Duck Duck Goose (lets them avoid attacks of opportunity) are useful for them.
- Speaking of which, always make sure your melee characters have the Opportunist talent. This gives them a free attack as enemies move past them (the aforementioned attack of opportunity). And enemies move around a lot. It's free real estate! đź‘‹
- The game usually autosaves before fights, so don't hesitate to reload when things go south. In fact, it is a valid strategy to use your first attempt to scout the battlefield and look what your options are in terms of terrain and positioning. The game really likes to screw you over with enemies moving first and using the environment against you. But once you know what the game does, you can make preparations and start the fight on your terms.

As for the crocodiles: I recorded a fight to show how I deal with them. No editing, about 6 minutes long:

Custom Character - Elf - Wayfarer
Red Prince - Inquisitor - bought Battle Stomp for him from the lizard in the elf cave
Beast - Shadowblade - actually gimped him by forgetting to equip him with a second dagger, so his damage was on the low side.
Lohse - Summoner - outfitted with a wand and shield. The wand is actually suboptimal because it deals magical damage (while the rest of the party is physical) but it lets her stay at range and keep a shield equiped for additional armor.

In general I always put my archer on the wooden platform and move in the other three party members seperately, pulling them into combat one by one. This is important, because if they weren't unchained they would all enter combat together and you have to waste more active points on walking around.

The only thing that went wrong in this fight was one of the crocodiles oiling Beast. I had hoped they would go after Lohse, since she doesn't need to move anyway. But it all worked out in the end.

Lastly, note how I make sure Red Prince doesn't use more than 2 active points when moving around, so he can still use either Battering Ram or Battle Stomp afterwards. When in doubt, just activate the skill and look at their range before determining how far you need to move.

Wow, I can't thank you enough for the thorough explanation, ClearMetal! And you even recorded a video.

ResetERA can be such a cool place sometimes!

I'll be playing it tomorrow so I'll be able to try out some of your tips and tricks.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Maaaan, how could I have slept on summoning for so long? My incarnate is a beast at Summoning 10. And I have only just discovered (as in: a few minutes ago) that you can craft even more types of infusion by yourself.

The boss of Act I didn't stand a chance this time around and died in two turns.

Wow, I can't thank you enough for the thorough explanation, ClearMetal! And you even recorded a video.

ResetERA can be such a cool place sometimes!

I'll be playing it tomorrow so I'll be able to try out some of your tips and tricks.
Happy to help! I first had a whole paragraph of text on how I dealt with the crocodiles, but I figured a video would be easier to follow.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
Are there any good-looking armour sets for elves? More specifically, any true unique armour sets outside of the Tyrant set in Act 1?

I'm at the end of Act II and kinda bummed at the variety of cosmetic choices for my party. There's a few cool items here or there (Magister's Cloak which looks great on my Lohse) but yeah, for my Sebille all the leafy green options just suck. Even plate armour for Red Prince has been underwhelming.

Any vendors or locations I'm overlooking?

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about picking this up during the Playstation sale now.
  • I'm really looking for a living breathing world that is immersive, offers a sense of wonder and also rewards exploration. Does this game offer these traits and why? What about amazing set pieces?
  • Does the game start slow or are you drawn in immediately? Any tedium at the start?
Thanks!

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm thinking about picking this up during the Playstation sale now.
  • I'm really looking for a living breathing world that is immersive, offers a sense of wonder and also rewards exploration. Does this game offer these traits and why?
  • Does the game start slow or are you drawn in immediately? Any tedium at the start?
Thanks!
Definitely. The game has gorgeous environments and exploration is literally rewarded with experience points. As for immersion, well, NPCs are prone to repeating the same quotes and don't have any routines they follow except walking around. But talking to them does give you the feeling everyone has their own story and their own place in the world. You can get relatively lengthy (and interesting) dialogues out of otherwise insignificant NPCs. It does feel like a fully fleshed out world with different cultures, viewpoints, etc.

The game is slow to start in that you are supposed to wander around the first area, solve quests and do little in terms of fighting, just to gather some experience and gear to get you going. Once you escape the first area, 2~3 hours in, the game opens up more and you will quickly run into actual decent gear and more interesting combat situations. In the beginning you will want to spend most of your money on skill books actually. Learning new skills not only makes you stronger, but it also diversifies the combat, which is much more intricate than the beginning of the game lets you believe.

That said, I wouldn't call it tedious. I have played through the first act two dozen times by now and I am still having fun and discovering new things.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. The game has gorgeous environments and exploration is literally rewarded with experience points. As for immersion, well, NPCs are prone to repeating the same quotes and don't have any routines they follow except walking around. But talking to them does give you the feeling everyone has their own story and their own place in the world. You can get relatively lengthy (and interesting) dialogues out of otherwise insignificant NPCs. It does feel like a fully fleshed out world with different cultures, viewpoints, etc.

The game is slow to start in that you are supposed to wander around the first area, solve quests and do little in terms of fighting, just to gather some experience and gear to get you going. Once you escape the first area, 2~3 hours in, the game opens up more and you will quickly run into actual decent gear and more interesting combat situations. In the beginning you will want to spend most of your money on skill books actually. Learning new skills not only makes you stronger, but it also diversifies the combat, which is much more intricate than the beginning of the game lets you believe.

That said, I wouldn't call it tedious. I have played through the first act two dozen times by now and I am still having fun and discovering new things.
Thanks. Is the game more combat focused or exploration/dialogue focused. I'd prefer to be adventuring over constant combat.

Or can your choices determine this?

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Thanks. Is the game more combat focused or exploration/dialogue focused. I'd prefer to be adventuring over constant combat.

Or can your choices determine this?
There are no random encounters in this game, only pre-determined fights. Once enemies are dead, they stay dead. To make up for this, fights can be fairly long. Standard fights easily last 5 to 10 minutes and boss fights even longer. But if you aren't interested in that, you can pick Story mode, which makes fights much easier, letting you focus more on exploration and dialogue. And there is a ton of dialogue, make no mistake.

I'd say the combat to dialogue ratio is about 50/50 on normal difficulty, and only because combat is relatively lengthy. So if you pick Story mode, it might be 40/60 or even 30/70.

While combat is generally recommended because it is a good source of experience, it certainly isn't the only one. You can solve many quests through dialogue alone and there are the aforementioned exploration bonuses. So you won't shoot yourself in the foot if you come across a particular combat encounter and choose to leave it be.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
How's the lore/history? Is there deep, long sense of history when playing, to the level of Skyrim perhaps?

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Okay I've been making steady progress now and things are going really well. I'm really loving party dynamic going on in this game. It's a hallmark of this type of WRPG and it's one I love. The interjections and moments where party members want to do their own thing or interrupt what you're doing are great.

An NPC I was dealing with for a while had had a reckoning coming his way for ages, when it all kicked off and I was ready to dispense my final justice, one of my party interjected. He said he would leave if I went through with it so I ended up sparing him. I love stuff like that.

OP
OP
Reven Wolf

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
An NPC I was dealing with for a while had had a reckoning coming his way for ages, when it all kicked off and I was ready to dispense my final justice, one of my party interjected. He said he would leave if I went through with it so I ended up sparing him. I love stuff like that.
Honestly that's one thing that's missing in so many RPGs. Too often it feels like they're just there and don't really feel alive except when you speak to them.

I feel like one of the best implementations of this was in KotoR 2 where half the party basically hated the other half, and they would be constantly questioning your decisions during it.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly that's one thing that's missing in so many RPGs. Too often it feels like they're just there and don't really feel alive except when you speak to them.

I feel like one of the best implementations of this was in KotoR 2 where half the party basically hated the other half, and they would be constantly questioning your decisions during it.

Yeah it really is a must have for this type of game. I haven't played KOTOR 2 but I remember in Dragon Age: Origins where one party member tried to take the leadership of the party and I had to duel him ha ha. Great stuff.

Finally making my way into the Black Pits. Combat has thankfully smoothed out a lot.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Experimenting a bit with the Summoner class. Said it before, but hard to believe how I ignored this class for so long.

First builds I did were basically your average wizard, so Int/Con/Mem in roughly a 2:1:1 ratio. But I hardly ever use a wand or Dimensional Bolt, so I figured I might as well do a Con/Mem build and pour points into Str/Fin/Int as the equipment demands. Being able to wear all armor types is a big boon when it comes to getting the best collection of armor bonuses. Plus my Summoner is now really tanky with the mix of heavy armor, a shield and high Con.

Figured I pour some points into Aero and Geo as well, so I can keep up buffs like Favourable Wind and Mend Metal, since my Summoner will always be in the middle of the fight anyway. Aero is almost a necessity anyway because of Teleport—you can't keep wearing those gloves forever.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just started the game recently. Items are so expensive. Are there any consequences to stealing aside from having to fight if you get caught? These skill books are so tempting...

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Just started the game recently. Items are so expensive. Are there any consequences to stealing aside from having to fight if you get caught? These skill books are so tempting...
not really, maybe some lines of text down the line...
reminder that you can steal to one NPC only 1 time per each of your characters (keep the items that gives you + thievery and share them around)

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Man the dialogue in this game is so good. It actually allows for nuance. Like when you are playing as Sebille and you talk with Red Prince after you wake up on the beach near Fort Joy. You can bicker your way through the conversation with him yet still team up and it doesn't actually feel out of place. And if you lead with the demand to know where Stingtail is, he actually references it by saying you both are probably looking for the same dude at the end of the conversation. All quality voice acted to boot.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible to go through this game completely blind? What I mean is, am I going to miss out on a bunch of stuff because I'm just doing what I want and not following a guide?

I would really like to play through this, but it's a bit overwhelming at first glance.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Guys can u recommend me this game

I get into these moods to go on an epic adventure and play some rpg

I like turn based strategy, i like dialogue options, etc

But Im always so and so on getting overwhelmed and fatigued with storylines and drawn out adventures

I loved games like witcher but then got bored and had to push to finish

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Guys can u recommend me this game

I get into these moods to go on an epic adventure and play some rpg

I like turn based strategy, i like dialogue options, etc

But Im always so and so on getting overwhelmed and fatigued with storylines and drawn out adventures

I loved games like witcher but then got bored and had to push to finish
Hard to say. I mean, it is a great game and I would recommend it to anyone. But the game is huge and the average playthrough is about 100 hours long, so there is definitely the risk of losing interest somewhere along the way.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
For the local co op is this game comparable to that Baldurs Gate game on PS2 I used to play as a kid

If you mean Dark Alliance then, no, it doesn't play like that at all. It's turn-based not hack-and-slash. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was rad though.

Is it possible to go through this game completely blind? What I mean is, am I going to miss out on a bunch of stuff because I'm just doing what I want and not following a guide?

I would really like to play through this, but it's a bit overwhelming at first glance.

Don't follow a guide! Sneak a peak if you get truly stuck but otherwise just play and see what happens. Don't ruin it.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wish there was some in between difficulty.

Fort Joy was a struggle for me on Class difficulty. I eventually did make it outside albeit I skipped a couple of optional boss battles like the Magister in the Fort and the dude performing experiments?

Once I got to the marshes though I was getting owned left and right. Especially in the boss fights. I ended up turning the difficulty down to Explorer cuz I wanted to advance the story. Explorer seems wayyyy too easy though but at the same time I like that I feel less stressed about what skills, talents, attributes I put points into :|

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
This game is on sale on Steam.

Should I get it?

I really love Planescape: Torment. I also really liked Dragon Age Origins. I also enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1. I did not particularly love other CRPGs of this style that I tried. I have not been able to really get into these games in modern times anymore.

Fantastic story with interesting characters and choices sounds great. Overwhelming and overbearing top-down tactical combat does not.