• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
No, I mean the entirety of the game until the point of escaping from Fort Joy - the attacked ship, the shipwreck beach, the town, and the Fort itself - is probably like 7.5~10%. Escaping from Fort Joy is only one small part of escaping from the island of Reaper's Eye, and it's absolutely not the largest act.
Ok then I don't even entered the Fort yet (
the blacksmith can remove my collar though
) so I guess I still have plenty to play after that. I'll be back on it tonight I think.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok then I don't even entered the Fort yet (
the blacksmith can remove my collar though
) so I guess I still have plenty to play after that. I'll be back on it tonight I think.
No you are in the fort, the moment you wash up on the island up until you get to the encampment with that blacksmith is technically fort joy.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed this was on sale for $24.74 on Steam, so I decided to get it. I believe this will be my first ever tabletop CRPG, but I'm no stranger to turn-based strategy games. All of the reviews on Steam and elsewhere are overwhelmingly positive for this game! I've been on a bit of a gaming phase where I'm trying out different types of genre and keeping an open mind about things. I've read some comments about its difficulty for beginners - any pointers for someone just starting out with this type of game?
I dont even know where to begin, dude, tbh.

Fuck... there's so much to say.

Dont get too hung up on trying to make the perfect "first character". Because you can change your stats later on (respec). On top of that, you must really play with a class for awhile before you get all of the abilities that matter the most. You have to put in some time.

YOU WILL RESPEC/RESTART A LOT. EVERYONE DOES. THIS IS NORMAL.

A lot of in-world engagements are really tricky and nasty. I mean, ABSOLUTELY disgustingly savage. If it is too hard, you probably need to go elsewhere to level. Or try a different approach using in world elements. (dropping baddies off a ledge to instakill them, blowing up oil barrels, charming tougher enemies to make them work for you).

Dude. Just have a good time really. Your imagination is the limit. The gameplay is so organic.

If you want to break the game, make an all melee or all magic user party.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
i have this on PS4 and enjoyed what I have played. However, I think I will play it on Switch instead, since it seems a game I will play over a long time and I have a number of games lined up on PS4. Any chance of a physical release on switch? Would prefer that...

Oct 27, 2017
You basically want to avoid combat as long as possible in Fort Joy. Try to do as many quests and explore as many areas as you can (since it rewards you exploration bonus xp), which should get you to level 3 without ever drawing your weapon. After that you can focus on the combat missions.

From all I've read on this forum over the years, OP this is possibly the most important bit of advice on the thread. I've seen so many people say combat in Fort Joy is too hard, it's because of being under levelled. So do all the talky quests you can first. One level makes a massive, massive difference in this game.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
I tried to play the original few weeks ago, as I used to love cRPG's back in the day. But man, at least the first game took all the wrong parts from the past. I don't need my hand being held all the time. But man, the quest log/journal is abysmal. There is no indication which ones are the quests and which is just a random story or lore bits. Also, after completing a quest they still remain in the journal with the ones you haven't done and all the miscellaneous stuff. After not playing the game for 5 days I was so lost on what quest I should do next I just dropped the game.

Oh, and the inventory system is really bad too. I guess I should go straight to the second game if they improved these points even a bit.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've played through the game on normal and I really felt as though the difficulty was a bit much at times. Similar to the first game the difficulty often appears to gate you away from certain content, to the point that you're playing the game in a rather specific designed path.

Often times, the struggle with the games difficulty lead to abuse of the games systems in interesting ways, and I can appreciate that, but there were other times where it just felt restrictive.

Also because the game forces combat instances on you, it's important to save often. Sometimes you'll have a fight start which is just too strong for you, or one that your party isn't properly positioned for. At least for me, many fights required a reload before they were even approachable. Enter a fight at the wrong time and you can find that your more glass-cannon style characters are dead.

When I play games like that, I often find myself wishing that the game incorporated some form of 'rewind' mechanic into its systems. Every time I pull up the menu to reload the game it pulls me out of the experience.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Did anyone else have an issue with their undead character getting picked on? I made him an archer as to avoid the masses that always target him.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, thanks for the heads up about these.
It's crazy; EE2 adds a whole secondary leveling system and makes it so every single skill in the game has 3 tiers of activation.
Did anyone else have an issue with their undead character getting picked on? I made him an archer as to avoid the masses that always target him.
If any enemy has loremaster they'll know he's undead, and so will target him more with certain spells they know will hurt him with means that wouldn't work on other characters.

Oct 28, 2017
Although I am all for experimentation, the crafting system can be a bit overwhelming and even if you are not interested whatsoever in crafting you'll still need to craft the higher tier runes that fit your equipment. The wikia is a great source of information in this regard (and spoiler free). The game will be challenging in the beginning, but keep in mind that most battles can be won with the correct preparation. Think out of the box and save often, even during battles if things are going your way.

Also, money will be seldom early on, so be sure so steal whatever you can - just don't get caught.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
How much armor does he have in comparison to the rest of the party? I remember something about the AI being programmed to focus on the party member with the least amount of armor if I'm not mistaken. I usually make Fane a rogue because of his "skeleton keys" but this usually leaves him with less armor than the heavy melee fighters and my Summoner carrying a shield. This in combination with the computer sadly being a cheating bastard, that doesn't need loremaster to know one of your characters is undead, makes him an easy target.

So much in fact that I tend to leave him out of my party altogether and go with Beast instead.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played it on easy difficulty (not story mode, one higher than that) and had a great time. Was my first CRPG and I found it pretty simple to get into.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
How much armor does he have in comparison to the rest of the party? I remember something about the AI being programmed to focus on the party member with the least amount of armor if I'm not mistaken. I usually make Fane a rogue because of his "skeleton keys" but this usually leaves him with less armor than the heavy melee fighters and my Summoner carrying a shield. This in combination with the computer sadly being a cheating bastard, that doesn't need loremaster to know one of your characters is undead, makes him an easy target.

So much in fact that I tend to leave him out of my party altogether and go with Beast instead.
I did want to try someone new anyway. I'll ditch him when I can. He probably is wearing the least amount of armor.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It's crazy; EE2 adds a whole secondary leveling system and makes it so every single skill in the game has 3 tiers of activation.

Interesting, I'll have to look at that one more. Basically all my complaints with the game at launch involved anything with a number so maybe something like this can help me get into that side of things more.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is local co-op on this fun? Have never seen a game like this with same screen co-op. Do players just wait for their turn in combat?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should go straight to the second game if they improved these points even a bit.
yes. just yes.

Is local co-op on this fun? Have never seen a game like this with same screen co-op. Do players just wait for their turn in combat?
local coop is the same full fledged experience as single player. Yes they wait their turn. You will need to communicate with your bestie to set up spell traps and the like. (earth spell [causes oil] + fire = explosion)