• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Should note that my workbench has not been forgotten, just had to be put to one side as things have gotten busy. Yay. I swear I only work 12 days a month yet somehow have no fucking time to do the things I WANT to do.

I got a question for you. I was at someone's house today looking at a planer and his asking price was 300€. Planer is a 30-40 year old German planer. Table is 1.5 meters long, 40cm wide. All cast iron. The motor is a beast, 380v around 2 horse power. Previews owner died but he was using it till the end and basically build his house with that thing. I wonder if I should buy it, any of you having any experience with planers you wanna share? It's my first planer but I want to buy one that lasts.

The planer is seen here:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Thanks for the advice
If its German, that old and been in a carpenters workshop then you have to figure its going to outlast anything you can do to it. So provided it works, it looks good. I've never used a planer before mind.

Like most tools like that, if it works for the first 20 minutes it'll probably work for life as there's not much to go wrong with a planer.

I'm assuming you are already set up for 3 phase, or can get it installed?

Oct 27, 2017
Should note that my workbench has not been forgotten, just had to be put to one side as things have gotten busy. Yay. I swear I only work 12 days a month yet somehow have no fucking time to do the things I WANT to do.

If its German, that old and been in a carpenters workshop then you have to figure its going to outlast anything you can do to it. So provided it works, it looks good. I've never used a planer before mind.

Like most tools like that, if it works for the first 20 minutes it'll probably work for life as there's not much to go wrong with a planer.

I've seen it working, I saw the shavings. All looked good. Just unsure about the price.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen it working, I saw the shavings. All looked good. Just unsure about the price.
I suppose one thing is to consider how much a comparable new machine would cost today.

It also a cliche, but they really don't make stuff like they used to. Lots of older tools like this or pillar drills and stuff are still going strong and still sought after purely for that reason. This machine could fairly easily see you through until you give it to a grandchild!

While I know many will want to try and save say 50 euro on that or maybe more, if it does the job you want, is a good solid piece and you can be fairly sure it'll run for another decade at least, is it worth missing out on?

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose one thing is to consider how much a comparable new machine would cost today.

It also a cliche, but they really don't make stuff like they used to. Lots of older tools like this or pillar drills and stuff are still going strong and still sought after purely for that reason. This machine could fairly easily see you through until you give it to a grandchild!

While I know many will want to try and save say 50 euro on that or maybe more, if it does the job you want, is a good solid piece and you can be fairly sure it'll run for another decade at least, is it worth missing out on?

I got the price down to 250, I think I go for it.

New Maschines comparable to this usually cost at least double. Quality Maschines start at 1000€ more or less. Not at all in my budget for something like this. But 250 is acceptable for me. I will get it on Thursday but won't be able to use it till beginning of September. I'll post some updates and pics when I have it setup. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Today I fixed my Mira mixer shower. I have no idea how I did it. But I did.

It wasn't working properly, I dismantled it and remantled it and presto. I'll take it.

Also got my S2000 battery charged and then deafened myself putting it back in the car.

Anyone watched any of Jehu's videos on YouTube? Makes DIY power walls from masses of 18650 batteries (used in teslas, torches, tools, laptops) buys busted stuff, strips and tests the cells and then hooks it all up. Mad stuff. Even made his VW camper an EV!

https://www.youtube.com/user/jehugarcia

I got the price down to 250, I think I go for it.

New Maschines comparable to this usually cost at least double. Quality Maschines start at 1000€ more or less. Not at all in my budget for something like this. But 250 is acceptable for me. I will get it on Thursday but won't be able to use it till beginning of September. I'll post some updates and pics when I have it setup. Thanks for the help.
Nice sounds like a good deal for a decent machine that could easily last you another 50 years!

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's miserable outside, so I decided to do a bit of indoor work that I've been meaning to get to, and it's something I've mentioned here before; the bathroom sink drain. And hey, it's a quick and easy job, so why don't I take a bit of time to snap some pictures, and let others benefit from my experience.

Mostly hidden behind a spoiler tag, to reduce vertical spam.

Here's my sink. Ignore the 1970's yellow. And the paint chip. I don't give a damn what it looks like, I just care if it works or not, and the sink works, it's the drain which doesn't work. You can't really see it in the photo, but the drain is cheapo rolled sheet metal, and a crack formed in the top of it, and I'm sure the plumber's putty underneath it has failed (probably because of the crack). It doesn't dribble water into my vanity, because it's the upper seal that's cracked, the lower seal is fine. What it does is make it impossible for me to keep water in the sink for any length of time (like if I'm shaving).
RFcBqgE.jpg

Here's what I'm going to use to replace it. It's a two piece combination of cast metal and rolled metal, which puts all the quality where you need it to be, and saves a bit of money where you don't, and it uses a simple rubber stopper, because I don't like the overcomplicated stuff. It only cost like five bucks more than a cheapo piece of rolled sheet metal, but I had to get it from a specialty hardware store, because Home Depot doesn't always carry the good stuff.
GcOsqo7.jpg

Continue?...
Since it's a two piece, I've gotta assemble it, but it needs some sort of watertight seal. I've seen someone use yellow ABS pipe glue, but I'm going to use teflon tape, that way it's easily removable, and because I already need teflon tape for another part of this drain. Note: Wrap the teflon tape in the direction where screwing the one piece into the other would only cause the tape to tighten, not the opposite way which would encourage the tape to unravel while you're putting things together. And it should feel "snug" while you're winding the two pieces together. If it feels too loose, unwind it and add more tape.
MVS6RrS.jpg

useLavL.jpg

lf4Rd7E.jpg

Grab some channel lock pliers and unwind the lock nut to remove the old drain. I didn't take any pics of that part. But here's the old drain removed. I actually saw this potential problem coming a little bit ahead of time. My new drain is shorter. Maybe too short. Well, that's one reason to use teflon tape instead of glue in that joint. If I wanted to, I could probably get a longer piece. But I won't, because I have something else in mind.
Gn36Yom.jpg

Time to grab an old toothbrush and clean the hair and crud out of the overflow. Oh snap! Did a bunch of rusted metal come falling out with that crud? Yes, it did. The lower seal is finished. It's rusted out completely. That was apparently load-bearing hair and crud. The lower seal will never work properly again. This sink is scrap metal now. I guess having a 1970's yellow sink really is a bad thing.
l2fUnDC.jpg

I stopped taking pictures for a bit, because I had to run to the Home Depot and buy another sink (there goes $100 I wasn't planning on spending today), and install it myself, which also involves uninstalling and reinstalling my faucet, and I wanted to finish sometime today. But changing the sink was pretty simple. You unscrew the bolts from underneath, pull the sink out, drop in the new sink, and wind it down with the appropriate mounting bolts. I should say, when you're replacing a sink, try to get the same brand as you used to have. I did it once and the new sink was simultaneously too big and too small for the old hole, and then you run into the nightmare of maybe needing to change the entire countertop. It's amazing how a drain replacement can turn into a sink replacement, and a sink replacement can turn into a countertop replacement. Always try to be mindful of the worst case scenarios (which definitely should always include personal safety).

I got it all put together in a hurry, so now I can resume my new drain install.
iU9My9f.jpg

Here's the best trick I know of for installing a new drain. The most common leak point I've seen seems to be between the rubber gasket for the lower seal, and the threads for the locknut. the rubber is supposed to crush into those threads, but it never really does, and water snakes down the threading and leaks. So, here's how you solve that. Dry fit the new drain (just drop it through the hole, without plumber's putty) and push the rubber gasket up as high as it goes. now grab a sharpie or a permanent marker or whatever, and draw a line on the pipe at the bottom of the rubber.
i9ofPrb.jpg

See the line? Wrap everything upwards from that with teflon tape (this is the second use for teflon tape which I mentioned earlier). The teflon tape will happily fill all the threads, and provide a fantastic smooth surface for the rubber to press against. This will eliminate the biggest leak point in your drain. Remember to mind which direction you wrap. If the locknut comes in contact with the teflon tape (which it probably will), you want the locknut to tighten the tape, not unravel it.
W3zp1sA.jpg

IzxZSCa.jpg

Now grab some plumber's putty and put a bead under the lip of the new drain. Drop the drain in place and use the locknut (and the red fiber washer which prevents friction between the locknut and the rubber) to push the rubber gasket up snugly into the bottom of the sink.
hYvLzog.jpg

46MREq0.jpg

UF7TDzU.jpg

g9CnHf8.jpg

Excess plumber's putty should ooze out the top. That's how you know you used enough putty. Scoop up the excess and toss it back in the bin for the next time.
By5J9pR.jpg

wiwzfvV.jpg

RlbYwMf.jpg

And, here's the problem I saw coming before I started. The pipe is too short. And the previous plumber didn't leave any room for anyone to cut into anything and glue on a new piece. But that's okay, because I can just change the whole drain. This old one doesn't have a cleanout port anyways, and I kind of like those. So, I'm gonna grab a small hacksaw and cut most of this off, just keeping the pipe that comes out of the wall.
4S0BfGB.jpg

rQAQAIH.jpg

Eew, it's 2/3 clogged with 40 years worth of slimy mess. I cleaned that out with the old toothbrush, and a squirt bottle full of soapy water.
REZzh7Z.jpg

Here's my new trap parts. One sink adapter, one pivoting ball-joint trap (a bit more maneuverable and more forgiving than other traps) with a cleanout port on the bottom, and a 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 rubber adapter, because the old pipe is 1-1/4 and Home Depot doesn't seem to sell 1-1/4 anymore. Oh well. The rubber joint is how I prefer to connect traps, and it's an easy spot to make the size transition. Grab some glue, measure/cut some 1-1/2 pipe (not shown), and assemble.
zvLuCnq.jpg

kvNULUH.jpg

pNmeO3X.jpg

Looks good down here.
y7rg04I.jpg

And looks better and more expensive than I expected from up here.
44zqoPV.jpg

And that's how a quick and easy job quadruples in size and becomes an all-day chore. But it had to be done, and it was worth it.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Nicely done Cheerilee . A great example of a 60 minute job escalating way beyond what you hoped haha.

Off the top of my head I can't remember what I've used on basin/sink drains before, but I know Iv'e never used putty or silicone.

Oct 27, 2017
I got the planer. My car almost died. Prob half a ton of metal . That cutter head is enormes. And it doesn't have a 2 hp engine.. it's more like 4-5. It's a insane piece. I can't wait to set it up

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Met Wood Whisperer and April Wilkerson tonight. That was cool.
Neat. I liked her earlier stuff but started to wane a bit. Not watched in a while though to be fair.

She seemed to just blow up and get a ton of free tools out of almost nowhere.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Neat. I liked her earlier stuff but started to wane a bit. Not watched in a while though to be fair.

She seemed to just blow up and get a ton of free tools out of almost nowhere.

Pretty, power tools...pretty ripe market to shove some free brand exposure to.

Matt Cremona and Crafted Workshop was there as well, but didn't get over to talk. Tons of people.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i found a guy locally that has cedar slabs and boards, we might have gone a little nuts.

a bench for the foot of our bed.
SI4lIvch.jpg

cornhole
QbBh3dVh.jpg

river table for us
Valy0Ooh.jpg

river table for my neighbor
UKj0h3Nh.jpg

needless to say i have some work to do.

also, been making a table for some friends in austin. Just need to varnish it once the danish oil dries.
C4iRtMOh.jpg

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
No but I doubt there are worth the price you pay for it. On the other hand there are few alternatives at those prices
i'm mainly interested in the rotex sanders that double as random orbital and essentially a belt sander, because belt sander like function acts as a super aggressive mode, which would be really helpful for sanding excess epoxy and the rough sawn live edge slabs i get. and for dust collection, even if i hooked a vacuum up to my current sander it blows it straight out of several holes, which leaves me, my bench, the floor, pretty much everything covered in dust, it gets kind of old.

im open to other things, by no means a brand loyalist, im just not seeing anything that has both of those functions in one sander.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
i'm mainly interested in the rotex sanders that double as random orbital and essentially a belt sander, because belt sander like function acts as a super aggressive mode, which would be really helpful for sanding excess epoxy and the rough sawn live edge slabs i get. and for dust collection, even if i hooked a vacuum up to my current sander it blows it straight out of several holes, which leaves me, my bench, the floor, pretty much everything covered in dust, it gets kind of old.

im open to other things, by no means a brand loyalist, im just not seeing anything that has both of those functions in one sander.

I have several Festools, but not a Rotex. Honestly, look at the Bosch 1250DEVS. Has dual rotation modes and no Festool tax.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I have several Festools, but not a Rotex. Honestly, look at the Bosch 1250DEVS. Has dual rotation modes and no Festool tax.
what other festool tools do you have?

that bosch definitely looked like exactly what i want. My problem though is that i didnt currently have a shop vac. so i started to look at those, but which one and why? things were 3-600 bucks o.O plus i dont really want a huge shop vac, my space is kind of limited. Ended up just getting the festool with their smallest dust extractor. Sure i probably paid 100 or so bucks more, did save on sales tax vs going to home depot or amazon, but the extractor fits perfectly on the bottom of my work bench. The sander, omg its a beast. Took the rough sawn cedar down in probably 1/5 the time it used to take, but most importantly i did it without covering myself and the bench and everything in dust.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
what other festool tools do you have?

that bosch definitely looked like exactly what i want. My problem though is that i didnt currently have a shop vac. so i started to look at those, but which one and why? things were 3-600 bucks o.O plus i dont really want a huge shop vac, my space is kind of limited. Ended up just getting the festool with their smallest dust extractor. Sure i probably paid 100 or so bucks more, did save on sales tax vs going to home depot or amazon, but the extractor fits perfectly on the bottom of my work bench. The sander, omg its a beast. Took the rough sawn cedar down in probably 1/5 the time it used to take, but most importantly i did it without covering myself and the bench and everything in dust.

TS55 (trying to sell), TSC55, ETS 150/3, Pro 5 (ETS 125), barrel Carvex, OF1400, OF1010, LR32 system, MFT/3, Domino 500

Still want to pick up the TS75, Rotex 150, and bigger Domino. That's probably the extent, though, unless I find a super good deal on the big router.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I've started looking ay DIY powerwalls... Jehu Garcia and HBpowerwall on YouTube.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
TS55 (trying to sell), TSC55, ETS 150/3, Pro 5 (ETS 125), barrel Carvex, OF1400, OF1010, LR32 system, MFT/3, Domino 500

Still want to pick up the TS75, Rotex 150, and bigger Domino. That's probably the extent, though, unless I find a super good deal on the big router.
i said damn son.

I've started looking ay DIY powerwalls... Jehu Garcia and HBpowerwall on YouTube.
i would be highly interested in this. We're looking at solar panels and a battery backup has always been on my list with solar.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Traditional remedy for this sort of thing is to tell ones other half. Often this results in rapid secession of new acquisitions.
haha. my wife doesn't care she just doesn't ask questions. of course we have own separate accounts, plus our joint. As long as all the bills are paid we don't bother with each others purchases. But its not like we're going nuts buying tons of stuff either.

She actually just changed her mind about the bench, instead of that she wants a river table for her desk at her office. So she's gonna get that, for literally thousands cheaper than it would have been from a furniture store/maker.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Traditional remedy for this sort of thing is to tell ones other half. Often this results in rapid secession of new acquisitions.

Very true. This was a planned purchase that I forgot about, but I did push it up because of a surprise project for the theater group. This should save a lot of time.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
haha. my wife doesn't care she just doesn't ask questions. of course we have own separate accounts, plus our joint. As long as all the bills are paid we don't bother with each others purchases. But its not like we're going nuts buying tons of stuff either.

She actually just changed her mind about the bench, instead of that she wants a river table for her desk at her office. So she's gonna get that, for literally thousands cheaper than it would have been from a furniture store/maker.
Ha. Every time I read a post where someones says their wife said they a cant have something I shake my head. I'm apparently fortunate like yourself in that I can do what I want with no issue.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I do still need to sell my TS55, which will mostly pay for this new saw. You know you want to jump into the Festool pool.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in here able to give me a rough estimate for install cost (no materials) of drywall and spackling for a 850 sq ft space (walls and ceilings)?

I have 5 estimates coming in but I want to have an idea in mind.

Ryuuroden

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to subscribe to this thread now. We just finished building our dream home after years of renting homes. A little introduction of myself, I am a carpenter (union member) I own my own cabinet installation company and we specialize primarily in scientific cabinets so I work a lot with metal cabinets, fume hoods, biosafety cabinets, clean rooms, epoxy countertops for universities, chemical plants and all sorts of quality control labs and r and d labs for companies like Nestle, Coca Cola, P&G and govt labs like NASA and Battelle.

My first major projects are starting the process of finishing our basement, I have 1300 sq feet to work with and several built ins my wife wants.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Does anyone have any experience turning images into scroll saw patterns? I could use advice. Thank you for any help you can provide
I've done a fair bit of it. What are you having issues with? Also, which software are you using? Photoshop? Illustrator? I use Illustrator because its Image Trace function does a pretty good job out of the gate and lets you control complexity and curviness and produces a vector image which is great for resizing. But just about any graphics editor should be able to get you there.

Last edited:

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
OK, so this thing is a complete luxury pickup, but it made things very simple. It takes a bit to get used to the fact that the track is locked on the saw. Same accuracy I'd expect from the TS55, but suited to dimensional lumber.

When I need to make miter cuts, it's going to be even more simple. When I build the deck in front of the shop it will pay for itself.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Long Island, which tends to be higher than average for labor
let me know once you get some quotes, i'm curious how i do.

Just to mention, we also have a Homeowners Thread, which seems to have a lot of cross appeal with the DIY thread, since owning a home presents plenty of opportunities to have things break, and plenty of opportunities to try fixing those things yourself.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/homeowner-thread-ot-a-thread-for-homeowners.13852/

It's probably a good thread to keep an eye on, even if you don't own your own home.
yea it seems people forgot or didn't know about this thread after the move? Before a lot of the remodel stuff was in this thread and the home owner thread was more geared towards questions on loans and advice for house hunting and stuff like that.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
yea it seems people forgot or didn't know about this thread after the move? Before a lot of the remodel stuff was in this thread and the home owner thread was more geared towards questions on loans and advice for house hunting and stuff like that.
Ahh that's a shame. Never mind.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I had a bad experience with the Festool Pro5 sander which has soured me on the brand. I'll never buy anything from them outside of a Domino sometime down the road. Maybe, maaaaybe a CT Midi.

My Makita BL x2 tracksaw is a dream machine, is way more affordable than the TS55, and gets you into one of the best systems around. Festool dust extraction is slightly better and it has a splinter guard for the cutoffs which is nice.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I had a bad experience with the Festool Pro5 sander which has soured me on the brand. I'll never buy anything from them outside of a Domino sometime down the road. Maybe, maaaaybe a CT Midi.

My Makita BL x2 tracksaw is a dream machine, is way more affordable than the TS55, and gets you into one of the best systems around. Festool dust extraction is slightly better and it has a splinter guard for the cutoffs which is nice.

What was your bad experience? I also wouldn't make an assumption of that entry-level promo model either.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
"Entry level promo" is an ETS125 by another name at a discount. It was meant to be representative of "Festool quality". What it actually was was a massive amount of RO sanders with faulty bearings that were pieces of crap, and had to go back for warranty. Acceptable with Milwaukee, but I expect more from Dewalt and Makita, let alone Festool.

I can see a case being made for the Rotex, the domino speaks for itself, but Kapex, TS55, TS75, the HK carpentry saws, etc. inspire me with little to no confidence. Kapex especially is ridiculously long in the tooth and vastly overpriced.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
"Entry level promo" is an ETS125 by another name at a discount. It was meant to be representative of "Festool quality". What it actually was was a massive amount of RO sanders with faulty bearings that were pieces of crap, and had to go back for warranty. Acceptable with Milwaukee, but I expect more from Dewalt and Makita, let alone Festool.

I can see a case being made for the Rotex, the domino speaks for itself, but Kapex, TS55, TS75, the HK carpentry saws, etc. inspire me with little to no confidence. Kapex especially is ridiculously long in the tooth and vastly overpriced.

They fucked up with the amount that got ordered because it spread to places like Fatwallet and I think they rushed them out the door because people were bitching up a storm. The Kapex has too many motor issues reported, but I have heard nothing but great things about everything else. My TS55 was/is wonderful, and I've had it for years. I expect to do the same with the cordless version which actually has more power. The HK seems great as well with the weekend I've had with it.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The TSC55 is a beautiful machine, but I have no need for yet another platform. I'm already on LXT, M12, M18, 20v Max and FlexVolt... it just doesn't offer enough value. Cordless Festool is just too limited despite how nice Airstream batteries are. Dust collection on the new 1019 and 1219 nearly rivals the Kapex, heaps more power, and a rail forward design as well. They need some definite tweaking out of the box unfortunately but worth it in the end. I'm sticking to my FlexVolt DHS790 in the meantime.

Edit: Holy smokes Cochese just reading back through the thread and realizing just how much Festool you have! Now I feel like a guy who showed up to a party and insulted the homeowners new Mercedes lol. Thanks for taking my opinion in stride and being gracious with me! Hopefully your love of German tools extends to Wera, Knipex, Wiha, Pica, Stabila, etc. Those are German brands I can wholeheartedly endorse.

Last edited: