• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
DJI just announced the Osmo Action, the company's first action camera. It's a direct competitor to GoPro's Hero 7 Black, matching it on almost every spec while also offering a few completely unique features — like a front-facing selfie screen. It costs $349 and is available now.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/15/18622976/dji-osmo-action-hands-on-gopro-hero-7-black-camera

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-action?vid=80181

Some specs on the camera:

What resolution settings does Osmo Action support?
4K (16:9) – 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, and 24fps
4K (4:3) – 30, 25, and 24fps
2.7K (4:3) – 30, 25, and 24fps
2.7K (16:9) – 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, and 24fps
1080p – 240, 200, 120, 100, 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, and 24fps
720p – 240, 200fps

While we're used to seeing DJI's products in the sky, the company's new camera can be placed on helmets, bike frames, or electric skateboards since it works with almost all GoPro mounts that are already out there. The camera is also built to survive the elements: it's waterproof (up to 11 meters), shockproof (up to 1.5 meters / 5 feet), but it's still pretty light at about 0.3 lbs.

The Osmo Action has a 12-megapixel camera capable of 4K 60 fps video at 100 Mbps or 240 fps video at 1080. And you will not be disappointed with the stabilization. Last fall, the GoPro Hero 7 Black introduced some of the best stabilization action cameras had seen, and the Osmo Action's RockSteady feature is up to par.

[The photos are clean in good lighting conditions, but pretty grainy in low light. The biggest downside is that the image crops more than GoPro's, in both photo and video.

051324osxaad88zfu8p119.jpg

051330ecwhoede06qhc1e8.jpg

akrales_190513_3416_0116.jpg

akrales_190513_3416_0166.jpg

akrales_190513_3416_0176.jpg

As someone who literally just purchased a GoPro a few weeks ago (Costco had a killer deal on it), this kind of bums me out because I am a big fan of DJI and I would have probably picked this up over the GoPro, and the fact that it will mount to almost any GoPro mount out there makes it even more attractive since I can keep the mounts I already have and not have to purchase new ones...

I'll wait till I see some reviews before deciding if I should return the GoPro and get this instead...[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
DJI products are amazing. Selfie screen is great idea.

Yeah. I am not a big fan of selfies, but its nice to have for composition and to make sure everything is in frame... GoPro has always sold its Hero line on the notion that you do not need a front screen because the FOV is so wide that if you just point the camera at your face, you're bound to get everything you want in the shot...

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I have both a GP6 and 7. If this camera has regular tripod mount, I would jump ship from gopro to DJI.

BTW GP7 black is buggier than 6, wish I haven't upgrade.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhh I like this!

I'm buying a DJI Ronin M next month. Maybe I'll get this shortly after... but I'm also saving for new PC parts.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I have both a GP6 and 7. If this camera has regular tripod mount, I would jump ship from gopro to DJI.

BTW GP7 black is buggier than 6, wish I haven't upgrade.

This is from the FAQ section on the DJI site for the Action:

Can Osmo Action be mounted on a tripod?
Yes. The camera frame of Osmo Action can be mounted on a base or tripod.

So it looks like you are in luck...

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
This is from the FAQ section on the DJI site for the Action:

So it looks like you are in luck...

It still has the same gopro mounting system but they make the case slightly better.

It's still very similar to the gp7. If you don't have any action camera, it's good option since it comes with the front screen. Feature wise to similar to gp7 for me to upgrade.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
It still has the same gopro mounting system but they make the case slightly better.

It's still very similar to the gp7. If you don't have any action camera, it's good option since it comes with the front screen. Feature wise to similar to gp7 for me to upgrade.

Yeah... since the Osmo Action and GP7 match specs almost perfectly with the OA having a selfie screen, I will most likely stick with my GP7 since it gets the job done... Maybe when OA2 hits next year, I will switch over from GP to DJI.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Just got an Osmo Pocket for a trip to Japan and it's a lovely little device. Not perfect but really great and unique in terms of what it can do. The motion timelapses especially. If I wanted another more action oriented camera then I'd be getting a DJI product I think. Great to see competition in this space anyway. Hoping for an Osmo Pocket Pro at some point (we need 4K timelapses and better support for 4K codecs that work hassle free on iPads - currently have to go to my phone, upload to Google drive and back down again, then optimise the files in LumaFusio. Which is a bit of a pain).

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Been watching a bunch of hands on videos on youtube and I have to say DJI came out with a pretty good product. Its on par with the GoPro Hero 7 Black, but has some features that that camera does not, namely being able to shoot in 4k/25 HDR. The audio seems a bit better on the Osmo as it has two mics built in compared to the one on the GoPro, but tbh both still sound muffled to me (im not an audiophile, so you may hear a bigger difference than I do).

Guys, I am seriously considering returning my GoPro and picking up this Osmo Action. I'm gonna wait a week or so to see when some real reviews come out and then make a final decision, but so far I am liking what I am seeing.

Oh and if anyone cares, here are some of the videos I watched:

I tried to watch iJustine's video, but I really can not stand her, because she literally loves everything she goes hands on with... I turned on her video and as soon as she opened it and shot some video, she was like "this is the best thing ever," which I am pretty sure I heard her say on her GoPro Hero 7 Black video as well.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, after watching many videos on youtube and reading a bunch of reviews I took the plunge and picked up an Osmo Action today. Can't wait to put this little sucker through its paces...

47832939922_17a7c10202_c.jpg

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I might have to pick up the next version in a year or two since I currently have the GoPro 7 Black. I hate GoPro they are nothing but trouble with their shit software. The 7 Black is better than previous GoPros in a lot of ways but it still fails on some fundamental levels. The best feature is the new stabilization and the easy hyperlapse thanks to that stabilization. I love DJI products (aside from the constant ducking updates on my mavic) but their software is mostly great, and the hardware is all fantastic. I'm glad they are getting into the action cam space. Hope GoPro either gets their shit together or just goes away.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I might have to pick up the next version in a year or two since I currently have the GoPro 7 Black. I hate GoPro they are nothing but trouble with their shit software. The 7 Black is better than previous GoPros in a lot of ways but it still fails on some fundamental levels. The best feature is the new stabilization and the easy hyperlapse thanks to that stabilization. I love DJI products (aside from the constant ducking updates on my mavic) but their software is mostly great, and the hardware is all fantastic. I'm glad they are getting into the action cam space. Hope GoPro either gets their shit together or just goes away.

The only two features from GoPro 7 that should've made it to the Osmo Action was the ability to live stream and GPS. I hadn't had my GP7 for a long time, but the one or two times I did use it, I enjoyed the GPS feature that allowed me to add a speedometer to my video, which is cool, especially when on a roller coaster.

I hope DJI can add those features to the Osmo Action via FW updates...

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only two features from GoPro 7 that should've made it to the Osmo Action was the ability to live stream and GPS. I hadn't had my GP7 for a long time, but the one or two times I did use it, I enjoyed the GPS feature that allowed me to add a speedometer to my video, which is cool, especially when on a roller coaster.

I hope DJI can add those features to the Osmo Action via FW updates...

Streaming for me with the GoPro sucks. It is such a pain in the ass to connect and when it does eventually it usually cuts off after 10 minutes or so. Streaming over rtmp to twitch, not to facebook or whatever is built in btw.

Never tried the GPS feature.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming for me with the GoPro sucks. It is such a pain in the ass to connect and when it does eventually it usually cuts off after 10 minutes or so. Streaming over rtmp to twitch, not to facebook or whatever is built in btw.

Never tried the GPS feature.

Here is one of the only videos I took with my GP7, and I added the speedometer to it because of that GPS feature...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBV9uEWHAyg&t=1s