• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Wow, very nice. When you were following the train I thought there was some kind of video/rendering glitch until I realized it was the electricity arcing at the wheels. :0

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, very nice. When you were following the train I thought there was some kind of video/rendering glitch until I realized it was the electricity arcing at the wheels. :0

Thanks! Yea, I was really happy with the train shots I was able to get. It's a lot of fun following moving things with the drone.

My next goal with flying is to start getting closer to objects and even flying through them. For instance I would have loved to have actually flown through the tower that I circle around in the video, but I don't quite have the balls yet.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Was out in Vegas this past weekend and I took my drone with me to Red Rock and hiked the Calico Tanks trail (its such a nice trail with a stunning view at the top). When I made it to the end of the trail I took my drone up for a few reasons:

1. I wanted to see how far I could send it out from my position when there was no other wifi interference
2. I wanted to get some nice video of the views from the top of this trail.

When I sent it up, here is what I found out:

1. It was way windier up there than I had anticipated and so I was nervous sending the drone out to great distances from my position. I had it up to about 2500ft away from me and I still had a full wifi signal which was nice to see, but it was swaying in the wind so much I did not wan it to get thrown off course and hit a mountain and crash.
2. I was able to get some nice video and while you can see some swaying in the video, its nothing compared to how bad it really was which is saying something for how good this drone is and the gimbal that the camera is connected to.

Hope you all enjoy...

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
My wife and I went to Cannon Beach, OR last weekend and while I had very limited time to use my drone, we were able to find a cool spot before we left to get a couple shots. Unfortunately we couldn't film at Cannon Beach (no drones allowed on a wildlife refuge) but the place we found was even better.

I've been waiting months to get a good shot with the Boomerang feature, and I think it turned out really well. Definitely need an ND32 filter though. My ND16 was too weak, and my ND64 was too strong. Opted to up ISO in order to retain motion blur with the ND64.

One thing I noticed is the ocean really drowns out the sound of the drone to the point where you can't even hear it last 50 feet or so. I'll probably use it more often knowing most people won't notice it. Also, it was VERY windy, yet the Mavic Air didn't even flinch. Super impressed.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Hit up B&H on Sunday to pick up the following items for the drone:

1485199898000_IMG_740890.jpg

When I was in Vegas and I was using my drone at the end of the trail I did in Red Rock I realized that trying to see my iPhone screen at 12:15pm when the sun is directly overheard was not ideal and so I was extremely cautious with where I flew because I could not really see on the screen where I was, so I had to pick up a sunshade from the controller. Hopefully this does the trcik when I am out flying and the sun happens to be overhead. My only concern is the space they give to use the control sticks. If I feel its uncomfortable, I will return it and look for another sun shade solution

polar_pro_ar_5001_mavic_air_3_pack_1517420791000_1387422.jpg

I also picked up some Polar Pro Standard Series filters for the Air. I was debating on whether to get these or the cinema series ones, and ultimately ended up with these because

1. The price was within my budget
2. The reviews I read said that if you're not a serious drone photographer who makes a living from the photos he takes, the cinema series is not necessary.

Anyone else using a sunshade or filters? Let me know how you like them...

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
The filters are a must for any shot with a lot of movement. I'll upload a comparison soon that makes it clear just how "framey" the footage is with a very high shutter speed.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Here's that filter comparison. Definitely most noticeable on screens with lower latency.

And here's some footage from the top of Grizzly Peak here in southern Oregon. Learned a bit more about the active tracking modes and that you can track subjects even while doing quickshots.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's that filter comparison. Definitely most noticeable on screens with lower latency.

And here's some footage from the top of Grizzly Peak here in southern Oregon. Learned a bit more about the active tracking modes and that you can track subjects even while doing quickshots.

Those are both pretty awesome videos.

I assume that the artifacts that I'm seeing are just YouTube's compression?

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Those are both pretty awesome videos.

I assume that the artifacts that I'm seeing are just YouTube's compression?

Yep YouTube does compress a lot unfortunately, which can make the Air's 100 mbps bitrate seem pointless at times. Though if you can watch in 4K, it helps. There may also be a little extra grain in the first one since I had to up my ISO a bit. The ND64 was a little too strong for that situation.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Been a little while since I've posted in this thread, but I finally got to take my Mavic Air up to northern Minnesota and was able to get some fantastic footage. I'll post more soon, but I'm interested in figuring out how to best post gifs here on ERA...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Really didn't get enough use out of my Mavic Pro when I had it, but that Mavic 2 Pro or even the zoom is probably gonna bring me right back in...ugh the money

Oct 27, 2017
i have a Phantom 4 and judging by the leaked photos, the Phantom 5 is gonna be pretty amazing. obstacle sensing on all sides even the top, and swappable lenses.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Zoom, but I am annoyed that DJI's Fly More Combo is now separate and they no longer have a bundle deal that includes the drone... :(

I wonder if I sell my Air, if I can get around $600 for it...

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Zoom, but I am annoyed that DJI's Fly More Combo is now separate and they no longer have a bundle deal that includes the drone... :(

I wonder if I sell my Air, if I can get around $600 for it...

For me it depends on how quiet the Mavic 2 Pro is ....the Air is just too loud to use in some instances, even where its perfectly legal to fly, it attracts a lot of attention.

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as they mentioned Hitchcock, I knew the new quickshot was going to be a dolly zoom. I wonder which will get completely overused first, dolly zoom or hyperlapse.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
As soon as they mentioned Hitchcock, I knew the new quickshot was going to be a dolly zoom. I wonder which will get completely overused first, dolly zoom or hyperlapse.
Is it even possible to overuse dolly zoom? It has a very specific use. It won't ever reach asteroid levels.

Tough decision choosing between the zoom and hasselblad, smart move by DJI, they'll end up having people buy both.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read up on all of the features yet, but does anyone know if the new Mavic 2 features the same set of quick shots that the Mavic Air has?

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Is it even possible to overuse dolly zoom? It has a very specific use. It won't ever reach asteroid levels.

Tough decision choosing between the zoom and hasselblad, smart move by DJI, they'll end up having people buy both.

Whats the major difference between the two cameras? Why would someone want to choose the Hasselblad over the zoom? Is it just mainly picture quality?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Whats the major difference between the two cameras? Why would someone want to choose the Hasselblad over the zoom? Is it just mainly picture quality?
Picture quality and aperture. The hassleblad has f2.8 to f11 fully controllable. I didn't watch the whole conference, but I don't believe the zoom has that. So if you're doing still photography or HDR work, the hasselblad is the way to go.

In regards to quick shots, they have all the features of the Air, plus the new features.

Oct 25, 2017
That's just it, since it has a very specific use, it'll be misused more often. Hyperlapse will probably be more used, but more of it's uses will be appropriate.

They mentioned a service that would allow you to switch cameras. Sounds like you have to send it in to swap and didn't mention the cost or how long it would take. As much as I lean towards bigger sensors, I think I'm more likely to go for the zoom, even if it's only 24-48mm (digital zoom is worthless.)

I just thought of something... with the ActiveTrack feature, is it possible to mount the Mavic to a tripod and use it like a SoloShot?

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Picture quality and aperture. The hassleblad has f2.8 to f11 fully controllable. I didn't watch the whole conference, but I don't believe the zoom has that. So if you're doing still photography or HDR work, the hasselblad is the way to go.

In regards to quick shots, they have all the features of the Air, plus the new features.

Interesting... On my Air, I can take HDR photos, so I assume that that is still an option on just the Mavic 2 Zoom model? I like to take photos with my Air, and I think the HDR shots that I took on there look great, so if the Zoom is on the same level as the Air, or better (which I assume it would be), then I think I might be fine with the Zoom

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Interesting... On my Air, I can take HDR photos, so I assume that that is still an option on just the Mavic 2 Zoom model? I like to take photos with my Air, and I think the HDR shots that I took on there look great, so if the Zoom is on the same level as the Air, or better (which I assume it would be), then I think I might be fine with the Zoom
It's still an option. The Hasselblad just has more stops for HDR shots and a 1 inch CMOS sensor.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seriously considering the Mavic 2 Pro. Maybe wait for Phantom 5 though?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm not so sure they're going to throw too much weight behind the Phantom 5 after this announcement.

He even described the Mavic as their flagship device. How many people would take the portability issues of a phantom over a mavic now? The professional market has the inspire and matrice. Consumer market would be very niche for the phantom now.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure they're going to throw too much weight behind the Phantom 5 after this announcement.

He even described the Mavic as their flagship device. How many people would take the portability issues of a phantom over a mavic now? The professional market has the inspire and matrice. Consumer market would be very niche for the phantom now.
That makes sense. I'll go for the M2 Pro...

edit:
bought.

Going to enjoy this.

Last edited:

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017

Does the M2 has a mechanical shutter?

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I want that Hasselblad camera so bad. Footage looks amazing. Way out of my price range though.

Same here. If I were to get that Pro model with the Fly More kit, it would cost almost $1800. I barely convinced myself to get the Mavic Air... so there is no way I would be able to convince myself to get the Pro. :(

Oct 27, 2017
Does it shoot 4k at 60 fps or 30? I can't seem to find an answer. I'm assuming 30. Tempted to get one or wait for the Phantom 5. The FPS answer may help me decide.

EDIT: Found the answer. It's hidden in their fine print. It is 30. Hmm, I love the more portable nature of it, but I really wanted to upgrade to 60fps.

Last edited:

plv251

Oct 27, 2017
Ordering the Mavic 2 Pro

I hate that DJI never uses the same batteries amongst their lineup though

Oct 27, 2017
I decided I'm gonna wait for the Phantom 5. Simply because judging from the leaks it will have the camera quality and abilities of both the Mavick Pro 2 and the Zoom, as well as 60 FPS most likely to boot. As well as interchangeable lenses. I about shit my pants though and made it hard to wait when this guy tested the Active Track and it followed him near flawlessly UNDER a low hanging tree.

Also, my problem is the price will probably be a lot higher, and my current P$ will lose even more value. Argh.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought my Phantom 4 Pro would be obsolete after I saw the Mavic with the Hasselblad camera. But after seeing multiple videos on YouTube (because of course that's a perfect way to check the picture quality) I honestly don't like the picture quality all that much. Didn't like the quality of the Mavic 1 either so there is that. But even worse, if have a feeling that the picture quality of the Zoom is actually better than the Pro. Watching Casey Neistat his video in which he puts the Zoom images next to the Pro I honesty think the Zoom is a lot more pleasing to look at.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I jokingly ordered Mavic Pro 2 because they don't ship P.O. BOX.....

....... And it went through. Well I'm a future owner now lol

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered the Air last year when it was announced. Once I realized it doesn't use Occusync, I cancelled the order.

Now this. I have the 2 Pro and fly more combo in my cart. Ready to be ordered. WHY WON'T I CLICK BUY