• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got around to buying this, after totally forgetting it came out.

It's overwhelming in the best way possible. I played the hell out of DJMax Portable 1 and 2, but never played any of the games that came out after that. Even without buying any of the DLC, there's just sooooo much music here, and I forgot how good it is. Where IIDX insists on jpop nonsense, DJMax gives me funk. How did I forget how good the songs are? And coming back to these tunes after not playing the games for more than a decade, it's also a hell of a nostalgia trip.

I'm really impressed with the presentation, too. The game looks super slick, and the sound quality is fantastic, even on the old songs. I love it.

Would be cool if Konami wised up and tried a similar approach with Beatmania, but after Infinitas' stupid model... who knows if that'll ever happen?

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to buying this, after totally forgetting it came out.

It's overwhelming in the best way possible. I played the hell out of DJMax Portable 1 and 2, but never played any of the games that came out after that. Even without buying any of the DLC, there's just sooooo much music here, and I forgot how good it is. Where IIDX insists on jpop nonsense, DJMax gives me funk. How did I forget how good the songs are? And coming back to these tunes after not playing the games for more than a decade, it's also a hell of a nostalgia trip.

I'm really impressed with the presentation, too. The game looks super slick, and the sound quality is fantastic, even on the old songs. I love it.

Would be cool if Konami wised up and tried a similar approach with Beatmania, but after Infinitas' stupid model... who knows if that'll ever happen?
One of us, one of us...

I legit can't think of anything objectively bad about the game. Not a single thing. The presentation is clean and clear; there's an enormous amount of gameplay, with various different modes to play; a steady stream of DLC. I'd love to hear the thoughts of someone who loves bemani games who's never played Respect before because I'm genuinely curious as to if they have a single issue with it. It's an easy 10/10 for me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Only real issues I can think with the game were some glitches in earlier versions that broke peoples game saves/records. When your trying to get the bit combo trophy, having your progress wiped kinda sucks. Thankfully that never happened to me.

Only thing I wish for is a slightly more easier difficulty curve on the mission mode. You have some missions with the chaos? modifier that coats the bottom bit of the screen in a purple fog which makes it impossible for me to hit notes in time to the game, then there's the pixelation mode that basically renders some missions unplayable to me due to the screen becoming a blurry mess that's impossible to pick out notes. But I guess that's for the hardcore fans, no way am I ever clearing 90% of the missions, I may get lucky eventually and hit 60 missions cleared but I doubt I'll ever get any of the DLC mission trophies!

That said, I don't really care about that too much. I play in freeplay 99% of the time, just playing for fun or new highscores, its supremely fun and never gets boring. I still think its my favourite game of last year, even with stuff like BOTW, Persona 5 etc. released last year. Its still the one game I'm putting serious time into a year later.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure there's a few little niggles here and there but the majority of stuff I can think of is QOL improvements, and I'm not about to mark a game down just because of the system it's on/not on

But for sure the difficulty curve on some of the missions is a bit wack.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Some more thoughts:

- Kinda a shame that they removed the old video for Dreadnaught. New one is cool, but there was definitely some charm to the original one that mocked George W. Bush.

- I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I can crush 4B mode without any practice. That muscle memory never went away. 6B is taking a little bit to fully wrap my head around again, but that's where the real fun is at.

- Do people like 8B mode? I never cared for it when I played Portable 1 and 2... the note charts were just less fun and felt like they were trying to find a way to incorporate the shoulder buttons without it being obnoxious... without much luck. I cleared Stalker in Portable 2 on 8B and figured that was enough of that. Haven't tried 8B here, but dunno if it's worth bothering with.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm baffled with how it took them so long to do a new video for Dreadnought. They actually removed the entire song from DJ Max Portable International Edition (replaced with River Flow) and I dunno if you realise but it didn't actually ship with Respect, it was patched in a few months back.

8B is actually my favourite mode, genuinely!

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm baffled with how it took them so long to do a new video for Dreadnought. They actually removed the entire song from DJ Max Portable International Edition (replaced with River Flow) and I dunno if you realise but it didn't actually ship with Respect, it was patched in a few months back.

8B is actually my favourite mode, genuinely!

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they'd just cut the song altogether for Respect, rather than replace the video. I had the International version of DJ Max Portable first, and was suuuuuper annoyed when I found out they cut that song and gave us River Flow instead. That, and they bleeped out words in some songs. Just a bunch of weird decisions overall.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally figured out how to get that "Watched a TECHNIKA 2 advertisement in Collection" trophy

.......you have to beat the Signature Collection mission, the last of the Star Mixing set of missions.

and is considered on par one of the hardest missions in the game, possibly alongside unlocking the Link Disc missions.

Guess I'm not doing that.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally figured out how to get that "Watched a TECHNIKA 2 advertisement in Collection" trophy

.......you have to beat the Signature Collection mission, the last of the Star Mixing set of missions.

and is considered on par one of the hardest missions in the game, possibly alongside unlocking the Link Disc missions.

Guess I'm not doing that.

lol. That sounds insane. I;m definitely not getting that one either. I still haven't picked up the DLC yet, I really gotta get back and get the easy gold trophy on the last DLC first (100 max combos)

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Signature Collection is nowhere near one of the hardest missions in the game. It's tough, sure, but if you can get past End of Mythology 8B MX with a decent judgement then the rest of the mission is pretty plain sailing. It's just that initial hurdle

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Maaaaan this game is good. Been a while since I've played a music game till I was too tired to play anymore. Also, kinda nice to have a music game like this that's designed for modern displays. While I did get good, playing IIDX in 480i on HDTVs from the late 2000s wasn't exactly ideal.

Bought the Technika 1 pack. Is pretty cool. I don't think there's an end in sight for me playing this. Send help.

Apr 2, 2018
São Paulo, Brazil
Yeah, this is the perfect music game in my opnion, I can't find any negative aspects about it. I grew up playing another Korean dancing game called Pump it Up! Some backgound animations of songs from Portable 1 and 2 kinda remind me the Pump it Up days. DJMax Respect for me is a fusion between Pump it Up and Guitar Hero. Love this game so much! This game need more exposure!

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they find a way to get more collaboration DLCs or something with other game brands. Having music from the Falcom games, for example, would be pretty dope.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Some backgound animations of songs from Portable 1 and 2 kinda remind me the Pump it Up days.
IIRC I think some of the DJMAX visual artists worked on some of those games...I vaguely remember coming across one or two familiar names in the Pump it Up games on PSP (they paled in comparison but I had to have every music game released for the machine)

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
New patch is out:

1) The phenomenon that sound source outputs abnormally when 2 players play the song, "in my dream" - Fixed
2) The problem that sound source of "Rage Of Demon" 5B MX outputs abnormally - Fixed
3) The phenomenon judgment line at the bottom is faded away early in TECHNIKA2 TB mission - Fixed
4) RATE calculation formula - Modified
5) D2 Gear image - Modified
6) Sort formula of DLC possession list on Online Mode - Fixed
7) BLACK SQUARE UI SKIN - ARCADE submenu Voice - Added
8) Mission, "JUST 1%" – Down level of difficulty
9) Displayed level of difficulty for some of the songs has been fixed.
- what am I fighting for 6B MX (11 → 12)

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Vaguely DJMAX-related...

Has anybody picked up Tapsonic Bold? Released on early access on Steam today. I've read mixed reviews so far but I doubt I'm going to be able to resist...

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
There is no help, if you got on the DLC already you're hooked.

The Tecnhika 1 pack is probably the strongest overall - I'd follow it up with Black Square.

I ended up getting Clazziquai next. I looooovvveee it. Definitely some of the easier songs on the roster, but the music is great. Which is interesting, because I remember thinking it was just gonna be some kpop junk back when that and Black Square were announced in 2007.

Which DLC should I get next, if I'm more into the funk stuff than the techno stuff?

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up getting Clazziquai next. I looooovvveee it. Definitely some of the easier songs on the roster, but the music is great. Which is interesting, because I remember thinking it was just gonna be some kpop junk back when that and Black Square were announced in 2007.

Which DLC should I get next, if I'm more into the funk stuff than the techno stuff?
Buy them all.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Yeah, this is the perfect music game in my opnion, I can't find any negative aspects about it. I grew up playing another Korean dancing game called Pump it Up! Some backgound animations of songs from Portable 1 and 2 kinda remind me the Pump it Up days. DJMax Respect for me is a fusion between Pump it Up and Guitar Hero. Love this game so much! This game need more exposure!
Pump is still going, believe it or not. The next version is supposed to debut at IAAPA next month.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Statement: Your Own Miracle - Disco House Mix is the best song in the game. Not that I've played every song yet, but I'm pretty sure that's it. Actually, I think it's the best song in any music game. It's real good.

Cool to finally be playing the songs from Trilogy. I really wanted to buy Trilogy back when it came out, but didn't, because they had that stupid USB dongle that you had to keep plugged in, as their DRM scheme. Wasn't a fan of that. Guess it all worked out in the end, though.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Not that I care that much about getting a buncha perfect plays under my belt, but shit like this stings.

d0kEghV.jpg

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I did.

I mean, I was gonna do it eventually anyway, right?
The temptation was gonna be too strong considering how well the dlc is priced anyway.

Loaded this game back up and god damn, I am actually overwhelmed by how much content it has lmao. Due to how high the presentation values in this game are, I can't see this game ever feeling old. The only thing I wish they would add is the option for game specific combo counters, I think that would make everyone happy. Maybe we could signal boost this idea? I'd love to be able to switch between different games counters, Fever was probably my favorite.

Also, I forgot first kiss cuts to the video in the background on the easiest difficulty. Really cool thing to do

Last edited:

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
So the titles left for DLC are Technika 3/Tune/Q, Ray, and Portable 3? I imagine they'll do smaller packs for some of the exclusive songs the re-releases had (like hot tunes)

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
So the titles left for DLC are Technika 3/Tune/Q, Ray, and Portable 3? I imagine they'll do smaller packs for some of the exclusive songs the re-releases had (like hot tunes)

There were no exclusive songs on the re-releases, they were plucked from DJMAX Online (and IIRC it's just River Flow and Let Go), which I presume is another pack we will get at some point as there are around 100 songs not yet in Respect between the JP and KR versions (though the latter especially contained a lot of licensed stuff which there's a near 0% chance of coming over).

I have my fingers crossed for something next year as it's the game's 15 year anniversary...but I'm not getting my hopes up. We should get the Online songs that were in all the Portable games at least, even if the likes of Yellowberry, Dancing Planet, Phoenix Virus and Angelic Tears are lost forever.

I also wonder if we'll get new songs at some point. I secretly just want Clazziquai 2.
We're getting those in dribs and drabs with the various additional songs released with the DLC packs but I guess they could do a DLC pack dedicated to new stuff

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm somehow up to 15 songs max combo'ed at 10* or higher. All 4B songs (as that's what I'm most comfortable). Makes me wonder if I'll ever get to 30, I feel like I am improving (albeit super slowly at this difficulty) and I've still not grabbed the latest DLC yet. This is definitely the most fun game to keep coming back to, each time I play it I get that tiny bit better!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I caved. Got the Technika 2 DLC. Wow, mission mode on this feels really nice. 6 cleared already, which is sadly a record for me. The second set of missions are really fun/fresh compared to the last few. Can't clear the fourth (getting 285K on the song, so damn close but I break apart at the end...)
Got quite a few songs I remember from the Vita game as well on it, some of my favourites. As usual, money well spent. Only need to clear 3 more missions to have that blasted base game 50 mission trophy.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the Groove Coaster songs will be. I doubt it'll be any that I'm familiar with/want the most (it's not gonna be the Densha de Go Go Go remix), but cool to see not only are we still getting DLC, but even more collab stuff.

Actually, now that I think about it, I can't wait to see what the Groove Coaster UI & gear is gonna look like.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I'm really curious what the ESTiMATE pack is. ESTi is amazing. (That image is clearly from Oblivion)

Also, I hope the Groove Coaster pack is good, the game has some amazing songs. (The Steam tracklist does not do it justice, at ALL.)

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really curious what the ESTiMATE pack is. ESTi is amazing. (That image is clearly from Oblivion)

Also, I hope the Groove Coaster pack is good, the game has some amazing songs. (The Steam tracklist does not do it justice, at ALL.)
They've been adding to it peacemeal, you mean to say there are better stuff not yet released?
Looking forward to ESTi pack, 박 진배 is an amazing composer.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
How long do they plan on supporting the game? I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy every single DLC that comes out, even if I stop playing.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought the rest of the DLC I was missing. I'm trying to find the Frontline songs. Do they not have their own category? Are they mixed in with another set?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The collab packs go in with the Respect songs.

Gotcha - thanks!

I've been playing a bit more after my trip to Japan. Playing IIDX got me back in the mood for some button smashing fun. I just fucking hate 8B. I am so bad at reading it. I mix up the L1/R1 with other buttons all the damn time. I just gotta keep playing to wire my brain I guess!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
How long do they plan on supporting the game? I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy every single DLC that comes out, even if I stop playing.
I'd imagine another year at least? I think there are still 3 main packs (not the collab ones) still to come. As long as more content comes I'll keep buying it. I love it, spent loads of time playing the game and chipping away at the harder songs and getting better over the last year and a bit. Definitely getting my moneys worth from it.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
We have Portable 3 and Technika 3 packs confirmed to come

We also hopefully have Online and Ray/Technika Tune/Technika Q packs to come

Smaller packs: Brown Dust/Estimate/Deemo/Groove Coaster

We've got awhile on this ride yet guys.

In other news, rhythm games are hard when you've consumed alcohol

Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
Hi,

I updated my DJMax Respect complete chart. I use it to have a quick overview of all songs, diffs, patterns etc.
With excel or the like you can, for example, easily mark all 10* charts with a few clicks. The blank cells are for score or rank entries as you like ... if somebody is interested (already posted this on reddit), feel free to download it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FBFZIqYOMjfbf6WympbXoEmnhnsuf46BxlKHzWgbfsE

If something is missing or wrong, let me know.

bye
Alkuk

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, Sunday I bought a HyperX Cloud 2 headset, which motivated me to play Respect after almost a year of not touching it.

And goddamn, don't know why I dropped in the first place (well, it was because my headphones stopped working you get the idea)

The best thing was playing the live mix of ask to the wind, I was shocked with the special intro, and found very touching the final screen of the video saying "respect your memories" This game must be one of the best tributes that I had ever seen in the medium.

My only grip is that I bought the game on the HK store, and I really want to buy the DLC, but I want to it in my NA account