• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Look what just launched on Steam version of Groove Coaster:
4a2314046b30a529f0b4098472bd986802ae1d6c.png

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they'll ever put Respect on something other than a PS4. I'd buy it all over again for switch in a second.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll ever put Respect on something other than a PS4. I'd buy it all over again for switch in a second.

Probably not. The game requires you to be able to hit the up and left/right buttons on the d-pad constantly, and the Switch's lack of a d-pad won't let you do that unless you have gigantic thumbs. PC port is probably a no-go because of the rotating analog stick notes.

A Steam port of Djmax Trilogy would be cool, but that might be tied up with licensing issues.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I started with 4B for a while to get the feel of things and then branched out once comfortable with higher difficulty 4B stuff. 6B isn't that hard to get used to once you have 5B down as you'll probably be using 6 buttons naturally in 5B anyway. The best advice I found was to just keep playing, its an arcade title at heart so the more you play the better you get.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Just started playing this today. Any tips for new players? I see that starting at 5B is the best way to go?
4B is very good for beginners, but I'd recommend staying away from higher difficulty songs on that mode as the maps can get quite overwhelming quite quickly since there're fewer buttons to work with. I went straight from 4B to 6B - 6B has a bit of a learning curve to retrain your muscle memory from 4B, but once you've gotten past that I've found that in some cases it's actually easier than 4B.

Really, all the modes are challenging in their own ways. I've barely touched 5B cause I can't get my head around it still and just don't find it as fun as any other mode - I have an easier time with 8B even!

Also, mission mode is by far the worst part of the game, but don't worry, cause almost everything unlockable through missions can also be gotten by just playing arcade/free play and levelling up a bunch.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully in for another short window between the stream and the content drop. Not familiar with Groove Coaster music at all but the Danganronpa collab above is great - franchise has an amazing soundtrack, always fancied seeing it in a rhythm game.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Either 5B or 6B are good way to start it.
If you have any experience with Pop'n Music CS, 5B is pretty much the same as 5-line there (just with addition of hold notes)
I started with 4B for a while to get the feel of things and then branched out once comfortable with higher difficulty 4B stuff. 6B isn't that hard to get used to once you have 5B down as you'll probably be using 6 buttons naturally in 5B anyway. The best advice I found was to just keep playing, its an arcade title at heart so the more you play the better you get.
4B is very good for beginners, but I'd recommend staying away from higher difficulty songs on that mode as the maps can get quite overwhelming quite quickly since there're fewer buttons to work with. I went straight from 4B to 6B - 6B has a bit of a learning curve to retrain your muscle memory from 4B, but once you've gotten past that I've found that in some cases it's actually easier than 4B.

Really, all the modes are challenging in their own ways. I've barely touched 5B cause I can't get my head around it still and just don't find it as fun as any other mode - I have an easier time with 8B even!

Also, mission mode is by far the worst part of the game, but don't worry, cause almost everything unlockable through missions can also be gotten by just playing arcade/free play and levelling up a bunch.
Thanks for the responses folks. I tried 5B, but it was just too much so I went to 4B - much easier for me, I guess. Hopefully I'll get used to it and be able to eventually advance up to 5B and 6B at some point.

Do any of the various unlockable skins help with identifying the lanes the notes come down? That is my biggest hurtle with anything above 4B right now.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Do any of the various unlockable skins help with identifying the lanes the notes come down? That is my biggest hurtle with anything above 4B right now

In general, you should be using the color of the notes to help you figure out which lane they're on.

In this regard, I think all of the skins are similar. I personally found the Technika 2 skin to be the most obvious, but I think that's DLC.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Thanks for the responses folks. I tried 5B, but it was just too much so I went to 4B - much easier for me, I guess. Hopefully I'll get used to it and be able to eventually advance up to 5B and 6B at some point.

Do any of the various unlockable skins help with identifying the lanes the notes come down? That is my biggest hurtle with anything above 4B right now.
Speaking of default skins I guess Mulch is pretty distinct and helped me differentiate the lanes easier. Personally I'm using Technika 2 DLC's skin, can't beat white/RAINBOW
customize_img_01.png

Girls Frontline DLC Note Skins stands out really well with it's white/RED & white/GOLD patterns.
DlvkuGmUUAEX2_P.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta admit, I'm a little disappointed by the song list. It's got Groove Prayer and a REDALiCE song, sure, but the rest aren't really what I'd like - no Pit World, no Invader Girl, not enough ZUNTATA in general really

edit: Come to think of it I'm not entirely sure if ZUNTATA is the name of the Taito sound team as a whole or just a solo artist IN the team, but a lot of the Groove Coaster stuff on spotify is credited to them sooo

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda sad, I bought this on Hong Kong because I had zero faith of seeing an western release.

Now there is a western release and I would love to have all my games tied to one account, but I don't want to lose the 77 hours that I put on the asian account

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
w25ndpwan4231.jpg

Seems like they're creating a new "Collaboration" tab to file the songs under too, rather than putting them in the Respect tab, which my OCD prefers

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cool, I hope that applies to the previous collabs as well - otherwise they're going to have to stay as the only things on my favourites tab.

Edit: I can see from the stream it does. Nice.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta admit, I'm a little disappointed by the song list. It's got Groove Prayer and a REDALiCE song, sure, but the rest aren't really what I'd like - no Pit World, no Invader Girl, not enough ZUNTATA in general really

edit: Come to think of it I'm not entirely sure if ZUNTATA is the name of the Taito sound team as a whole or just a solo artist IN the team, but a lot of the Groove Coaster stuff on spotify is credited to them sooo

ZUNTATA is the collective name for the in-house Taito music team.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
There's a new update (1.13, 1.43GB) that not only adds the Groove Coaster DLC data, but there's now a new tab labeled "Collaboration" that's for the collab songs like Guilty Gear, Girls Frontline, etc. That's seriously appreciated considering how many collab songs there are & will be added in the future.

& even cooler, the collab songs have two colors on their icons. For example, GG has grey to indicate it's a collab song, but also red to know it's GG specifically. They also have the game title on the picture with the title, artist, etc.

Slightly bummed by the list, though I knew most of the music I would've wanted wouldn't have been included. At least Groove Prayer made it in. Though wow, 3 t+pazolite songs. For some reason, I feel like I'm familiar with that name via random j-hardcore youtube videos.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer for the DLC hitting tomorrow. Kinda wish there was an update that would allow for GG to have its own UI.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Just tried the demo for this and I'm kinda confused, why would anyone play this instead of Osu which is free?

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Just tried the demo for this and I'm kinda confused, why would anyone play this instead of Osu which is free?
The only real similarity between DjMax Respect and OSU is the fact that they're both rhythm games. OSU would be the ideal choice over almost every rhythm game if the criteria was a free thing with beat maps.

DjMax Respect is a love letter to the series and has gotten tons of support since its release. I've put more time into it than any other rhythm game. *Shrugs* People like what they like.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know too much about Osu, but doesn't it play like Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan? I prefer the Beatmania style of rhythm gameplay that DJ Max has.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the site for Osu, yeah looks more ike EBA's style of gameplay, which is a bit of a turn off for me (I hated certain gimmicks in EBA). I prefer the straight forward gameplay of DJ Max as well, not to mention the song selection it currently has. Can't wait for the new DLC to be released soon :)

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Do you mean Osu!Mania? I much prefer DJMAX instead simply because the charts in it aren't awful like they are in Osu!Mania, particularly at lower difficulties where I don't think I've seen a single Mania map I'd describe as good. Mania also has a heavy bias towards 4K, which is pretty much my least favourite mode by a significant margin.

If you mean standard Osu, then I enjoy both, but they are clearly vastly different games.

A better question would be why someone would play this instead of LR2/Beatoraja, which are also free but actually have good Beatmania gamepay. And for me, the answer is because LR2 is just too hard for me, and DJMAX also has way better production values, which really helps. And the music is much better too for my tastes.

I don't know too much about Osu, but doesn't it play like Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan? I prefer the Beatmania style of rhythm gameplay that DJ Max has.

Osu also has a couple other gamemodes. One that's like DJMAX/Beatmania, one that's just Taiko no Tatsujin, and an original mode called Catch the Beat, which is kind of like a reverse shmup I guess. Although honestly, the standard mode (the one that looks like EBA) is by far the best of the bunch, and also the one with the most community support.

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would I pay for a water supply in my house, there are puddles outside just there on the street when I want a drink.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
As fun as Pop'n is, at least you don't need a fancy controller to play DJMax on consoles.
Pop'n is perfectly playable on DualShock. Not even talking about older 5B charts.
Pretty much anything up to 25 using the new notation is rather easy to clear (after some practice), and I guess harder charts are beatable as well (especially considering the PSP releases)

So is IIDX, btw.

The fact that you can't play either on PS4 is entirely on Konmai's shoulders

Last edited:

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've given each of the new tracks a play through - sure they'll grow on me but so far all the best stuff is by Cranky.

The MVs are a bit samey, but the UI skin is nice.