• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought this on the sale. I love it. Fit my bill for music games perfectly. Never played one of these before though. Ate a 100mg edible, put on my cans and i'm playing this all night. hah

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I caved and bought the game on the sale. I found it pretty difficult at first but I'm so far getting consistent Bs on the easier songs with 4B. Should I force myself to play on 5B or 6B as a newbie or stick to 4B for now? The only rhythm games I've played are Gitaroo Man and the Persona dancing games. Persona in particular is cake compare to this even on the hardest setting.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I caved and bought the game on the sale. I found it pretty difficult at first but I'm so far getting consistent Bs on the easier songs with 4B. Should I force myself to play on 5B or 6B as a newbie or stick to 4B for now? The only rhythm games I've played are Gitaroo Man and the Persona dancing games. Persona in particular is cake compare to this even on the hardest setting.
I don't think you should even play the 4B mode, at least at start.
It's way easier to train your brain on 6B for a while and then go back to the 4B/5B modes than the other way around.
Try going to 6B. You will fail most if not all songs at start. But after an hour or so, your brain should be trained well enough to clear all of the easier songs.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you should even play the 4B mode, at least at start.
It's way easier to train your brain on 6B for a while and then go back to the 4B/5B modes than the other way around.
Try going to 6B. You will fail most if not all songs at start. But after an hour or so, your brain should be trained well enough to clear all of the easier songs.

Whats wrong with 4B? 6B is tough because I end up pressing the wrong buttons all the time. I assumed 4B was the easiest since it's less notes.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Whats wrong with 4B? 6B is tough because I end up pressing the wrong buttons all the time. I assumed 4B was the easiest since it's less notes.

Yeah, 4B is the easiest for sure. I think what they're saying though is that by starting with 6B you inherently learn a lot more and will have an easier time playing all the other modes in the game.

I kinda agree with them and it's how I started playing the game 10 years ago, but honestly just play whatever mode you're having fun with.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Dive into all modes for test runs i say. That said 5B imo is inherently different then the other two (4B/6B) as you cross over one lane's input because it's shared by both hands.

In regards to Grading/Scoring in this game, it pulls no punches. Accuracy for a single note can vary from 0-100 in increments of 10 . It's about how accurately you hit each note that decides your letter grade not simply hitting them. Practice makes perfect so don't let low letter grades get you down.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Might also be worth going into the the settings & turning on judgment, as it'll give you a better idea of how fast or slow you were for certain notes.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Might also be worth going into the the settings & turning on judgment, as it'll give you a better idea of how fast or slow you were for certain notes.
I had no idea this existed. Thanks for the heads up, this would help tons with some of the songs I'm missing S ranks on!

As for the whole 4B discussion above, I personally prefer to play 4B myself, it can get pretty darn crazy for certain songs (as less buttons sometimes = more crazy patterns as notes aren't spread out as well) but its really just worth giving each mode a try to see which feels best for you. Also, be careful on mission mode, its absolutely another level of hard compared to just playing the songs!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It got added with a previous patch from a few months ago, & it really helps give you a better idea of how close you were. Like "oh, I got 90%, but I was too fast"
Ah, I've not been keeping up with the game lately (only just S ranked the last big DLC pack before Deemo). Its a great inclusion for sure. Now if only I could filter based on * difficulty please!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I was practicing 6B on Ask to Wind and Beautiful Days. It took a while but I managed to get a B on both and got a Max Combo on Beautiful Days. Ask to Wind still fucks me up with certain button combinations, specifically Right + Triangle and Up + Square. I don't know why those give me so much trouble.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
I was practicing 6B on Ask to Wind and Beautiful Days. It took a while but I managed to get a B on both and got a Max Combo on Beautiful Days. Ask to Wind still fucks me up with certain button combinations, specifically Right + Triangle and Up + Square. I don't know why those give me so much trouble.
These games make you realize you're not in control of your body as much as you think you are. Cursed.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Learning 6B is extremely frustrating. I keep pressing the wrong notes. It's hard to memorize which button is what.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Learning 6B is extremely frustrating. I keep pressing the wrong notes. It's hard to memorize which button is what.
I would recommend setting an UI gear that displays the buttons underneath the note lanes. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, nor if you have to unlock them, but they're there & I tend to use one just in case I suddenly lose my composure & need a quick reminder of what lane = what button.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend setting an UI gear that displays the buttons underneath the note lanes. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, nor if you have to unlock them, but they're there & I tend to use one just in case I suddenly lose my composure & need a quick reminder of what lane = what button.

Doesn't the default already do that? Honestly I don't even know what it is because I try not to even look at the actual buttons. It's like I press the wrong one thinking it's the right one. Three star songs are all kicking my ass. I can't even believe they're only three stars.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Hard disagree, 5B at least lets you use one of two buttons to hit the center. 5B is best... b.
5B setup works great for pop'n because it didn't have hold notes back when it had 5B mode.
Not so much for DJ Max, which had hold notes from the start. You basically need to memorize whether you need to use Right or Square for some of them, else you'll break the combo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
5B setup works great for pop'n because it didn't have hold notes back when it had 5B mode.
Not so much for DJ Max, which had hold notes from the start. You basically need to memorize whether you need to use Right or Square for some of them, else you'll break the combo.
Yup. I hate (HATE!) some of 5Bs note charts which trick you into holding down the wrong button with no prior heads up. Still, these 5B note charts arent as bad as some of the PSP games!

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE this game. lol. played so f'n much of it the last 2 days. My fingers are sore, but I'm good w the controller now. and A grading most hard 4b songs.

Wanting to buy a DLC pack, which one is the consensus favorite?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I LOVE this game. lol. played so f'n much of it the last 2 days. My fingers are sore, but I'm good w the controller now. and A grading most hard 4b songs.

Wanting to buy a DLC pack, which one is the consensus favorite?
fTTBLia.gif

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Black Square and Technika sound so damn good based on the previews. They're kind of expensive for me right now though. I should also worry about unlocking all the songs in the base game first. 6B is still kicking my ass. Some of these three star songs are bullshit and make me wonder how they're three stars only. I skipped some and went on to 4 stars but most of those are kicking my ass too. I feel stuck.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Black Square and Technika sound so damn good based on the previews. They're kind of expensive for me right now though. I should also worry about unlocking all the songs in the base game first. 6B is still kicking my ass. Some of these three star songs are bullshit and make me wonder how they're three stars only. I skipped some and went on to 4 stars but most of those are kicking my ass too. I feel stuck.

Go to sleep. For real. After I play a bunch, go to bed, and come back to it the next day, I always improve in some sort of way. Especially early one where a lot of the challenge is remembering what button is what.

Apr 2, 2018
São Paulo, Brazil
Practice makes it perfect! I went through that just like you. You should care more about beating all 4B songs and getting S grades for now. After you are more confident with the game then you should practice those 6B songs (I think 6B songs are easier than 5B songs). Don't need to hurry.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Practice makes it perfect! I went through that just like you. You should care more about beating all 4B songs and getting S grades for now. After you are more confident with the game then you should practice those 6B songs (I think 6B songs are easier than 5B songs). Don't need to hurry.

Now that I've been playing 6B more it actually feels hard to go back to 4B lol. I start pressing right and square at times.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like most rhythm games, you'll plateau and then you'll suddenly find you've improved a step after a break/more practice. If you focus on songs with parts you find hard you'll really improve once you consistently nail it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
When I played the demo I was concerned that there were only like 3 songs I liked. Now I'm listening to like at least 10 while I work out.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Some ratings are very deceiving. I can't even beat Running Girl Normal 6B but I can Max Combo Tok Tok Tok on my 5th attempt. Both are 4 star songs.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Some ratings are very deceiving. I can't even beat Running Girl Normal 6B but I can Max Combo Tok Tok Tok on my 5th attempt. Both are 4 star songs.
Just took at look at both charts. Agreed they aren't in the same league, running girl has a much higher note density with way more doubles notes which IMO should raise its difficulty to a 5. Or Tok Tok down to a 3.

In the end it's just a suggested difficulty by the Devs. They have adjusted them in some updates after the data probably showed they were a bit off.

+ So I ended up putting a few hours all weekend into Freeplay Mode again. One to get close to that 1M combo and 2 to hit more S-FC in 6B mode. I think I have improved even if a bit slightly, so that amped me up more to get new high scores every day.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
& looks like it's confirmed it's coming to Steam. Wonder how many DLC packs will be made available at or close to launch.

That might also explain why it seems like DLC news has slowed down, probably been working on this.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Well, I'm excited for Thursday. Since it is confirmed for Steam I hope the PS4 version still gets everything as well. That's not to say that I wouldn't buy it again on PC, but I don't have the cash to buy all the DLC again haha.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hitting Steam Early Access on the 19th. Seems the online will be very different with "ladder match" & "open match" with being able to play with up to 6 other people it seems? Air Mode seems to be specifically for streaming the game and letting people make comments that appear to the side of the note chart.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
They posted a translation of the stream on the Discord. It seems like the PS4 version will continue to receive any new DLC they put out, but not at the same time due to the the cert time on PS4. There are some Steam exclusive tracks that will not come to PS4, presumably the Marshmello, and Porter Robinson stuff.

It was also suggested that Portable 3rd would be the last non-collab DLC. Same thing as before where they said it's taking a long time because it needs a lot of love and care.

I'm glad that I will still be able to get DLC on PS4 still, but I am weak willed and will also buy it for Steam whenever it comes out.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
If they can get a ton of colab/license content even if it means non-keysound tracks it wouldn't be a bad addition. Doesn't Voltex have a shit ton of tracks because they license and don't keysound.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Steam page is up with the trailer:

store.steampowered.com

DJMAX RESPECT V on Steam

DJMAX RESPECT V is the latest installment from the creators of the critically acclaimed rhythm game franchise ‘DJMAX.’ Experience tracks from popular artists such as Marshmello, Porter Robinson, and Yukika, exclusive Full HD Music Videos, online multiplayer, new game modes, and more!

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Project Diva X HD Hori controller work on this game? And more importantly, is it fun and/or recommended? I found it in store for $100US and am really thinking about it