• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does This Very Wholesome Moment Deserve a Thread?

• why yes, yes it does

Votes: 223 33.0%
  • HOO HEEEEEEE!!

Votes: 81 12.0%
  • GUH HUH!

Votes: 371 55.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
look at these guys

wzIGCC2.gif

especially contrasted with the Dragon Quest reveal and reveals like Ridley and Inkling where they're more brutal this was such a wholesome moment

I don't give a single shit about banjo or any of his games but this was just one of those E3 moments that will always stick out

so let's all take a moment to appreciate these doofy ass characters being fucking ecstatic to be reunited

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I thought that was the best part. They seemed so happy to have their friend back.

Now please bring back DK Racing.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
That part is what makes more the most emotional tbh. Donkey Kong continued while Banjo basically stayed on the N64 with the exception of N&B. Them being back together in the same game is so touching

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was such a special little moment for me, Rare is a huge part of my childhood and I was gutted when they moved over to Microsoft. It hurts even more when they didn't actually do anything of note with these characters. Seeing Nintendo finally acknowledge Rare as a big part of their history in Smash is some wholesome shit. We have to remember it all started with Diddy Kong Racing for Banjo, so this was like them seeing an old friend come back.

Letting Grant Kirkhope do the remix is awesome too, you can see how much it means to him.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
I'm not too big a fan of Banjo, but knowing that others finally got their wish is great.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that Banjo's first appearance was in Diddy Kong Racing. Diddy was so happy to see his old friend again.

maxresdefault.jpg

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
"Wholesome" is quickly gaining steam as one of the most over-used and annoying words here and on Twitter.

I thought it was heartwarming. Now THAT'S a word!

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate has become a grand celebration of Rare and their partnership with Nintendo and I love it

LtnZxiH.png

Fingers crossed we can get spirits/Mii Fighter outfits of miscellaneous Rare characters (ie Joanna Dark, Battletoads, etc) when Banjo comes out.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I absolutely hate Smash but that was a really cool reveal that genuinely made me smile, even though I was dying inside because I first thought we were getting a new Donkey Kong reveal (by Retro Studio; RIP).

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish I was more into Smash to appreciate these moments. Smash is such a celebration of gaming, but the fact that it is wrapped around a fighting game just kills it for me. Like I got super excited for Joker because I loved Persona 5 and then never touched the DLC. I wish they took this approach to Mario Kart or something else (Super Mario RPG 2 cough cough).

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I just noticed one of Banjo's taunts is "GUH HUH, GUH HUH".

Amazing.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really makes me want to start playing rare replay again but I have a feeling they will be making one for switch

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I think the mix of the Donkey Kong crew cheering, the final shot with Smash characters showing support, but even more importantly---

The Grant Kirkhope post of saying "Banjo..Kazooie...we're home," gave me super happy chills.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
To be fair Nintendo pretty much does this for every character reveal.

They're all celebrations. I found the DQ reveal just as strong with how they introduced Erdrick.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
Phil... give Banjo-Kazooie, Conker and Joanna Dark back to Nintendo. It's cool. No one in Microsoft Games Studios wants to make those games anyway! Let them come home!!

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai's appreciation for Rare's legacy has been the best part of Ultimate for me. It makes me so happy and nostalgic.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamworks should make a movie with the Kongs and some other Rare characters. Seeing their dumb reactions never gets old.

Nintendo has crushed it with these crazy Smash reveals.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
I honestly wouldn't have expected it to make me feel the way it did, but they nailed that trailer. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Also the duck hunt gag was brilliant.

I also tried to find my n64 to play the originals, but alas I seem to have misplaced it. Wish I had a platform to play rare replay on. If I had a 360 or Xbox one I'd totally be picking it up right now.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the Nintendo x Microsoft friendship. It's just really cool tbh.

Edit: I mean it's wholesome.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me hopes that they get a codec function where Banjo and Kazooie discuss their opponents

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I predict we're going to see the DK, Diddy, K. Rool excited gif a lot in the future, lol.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
look at these guys

wzIGCC2.gif

especially contrasted with the Dragon Quest reveal and reveals like Ridley and Inkling where they're more brutal this was such a wholesome moment

I don't give a single shit about banjo or any of his games but this was just one of those E3 moments that will always stick out

so let's all take a moment to appreciate these doofy ass characters being fucking ecstatic to be reunited

I really enjoyed the tone and energy of that animated segment (Diddy popping the snot bubble was very creative). It made me wonder how a revival of the Donkey Kong Country cartoon in the same style would be received today.

Or Maybe atleast keep the tone of those Smash shorts as non-voiced "silent" movies.