• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does This Very Wholesome Moment Deserve a Thread?

• why yes, yes it does

Votes: 223 33.0%
  • HOO HEEEEEEE!!

Votes: 81 12.0%
  • GUH HUH!

Votes: 371 55.0%

• Total voters

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
"Wholesome" is quickly gaining steam as one of the most over-used and annoying words here and on Twitter.

I thought it was heartwarming. Now THAT'S a word!

Its the internet, people like to feel young and current by using these overused (and poorly used words). I just wish I saw it more in real life

Person: I have to eat better. I hear bananas are wholesome

Forum dweller: Yeah it is really touching how they stick together in that bunch, like they are family.

Person: What are you talking about? Nevermind

Forum dweller: I forgive you, king.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I as well have no relation with Banjo and his bird or care about them, but this was a really cool reveal and I am really glad the people that wanted him in Smash got him/them.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a cool moment indeed. Not too invested in Smash or Banjo to be fair but it was a neat way to celebrate this unlikely reunion.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wonders whether this traiiler vindicates the common theory that Isle O' Hags/Spiral Mountain is situated just beyond DKC3's Northern Kremisphere (which unlike previous DKC games is a region populated predominantly by bears).

OP
OP

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair Nintendo pretty much does this for every character reveal.

They're all celebrations. I found the DQ reveal just as strong with how they introduced Erdrick.

they don't though

look how welcoming they are with the inklings

KJu96tk.gif

look at Dragon Quest dude get smacked around

q1lTI5Q.gif

meanwhile banjo is a metaphorical giant hug

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now we just need Dixie to come home. :'(

In general I like the idea of K. Rool couch surfing with DK. Smash is the best realization of the Rare characters since the N64, they really nail that goofiness.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wonders whether this traiiler vindicates the common theory that Isle O' Hags/Spiral Mountain is situated just beyond DKC3's Northern Kremisphere (which unlike previous DKC games is a region populated predominantly by bears).

You know that DK Vine prides itself on the idea of DK, Banjo and Conker all co-existing together in the same world, as the result of their characters being in Diddy Kong Racing

To this day, they're still convinced that Star Fox is apart of the same universe as well, because of Diddy Kong Racing and Star Fox Adventures both having a ceratopsian character named Tricky, lol.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It was pretty cool.

Smash is such a celebration of Nintendo's history, and Nintendo understands that to such an impressive degree. You'd think with business being they way it is, that it could potentially stand in the way of certain 3rd party inclusions but Sakurai finds a way.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Rare family reunion just felt so good. Especially taking into context that DKC and Banjo-Kazooie were made and designed by the same staff, and they took place in the same world too thanks to Diddy Kong Racing.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That reaction from the Rare characters matched every reaction video person, and it was so great. I only partially care about Banjo but all the other people who love him finally got him and then the other characters were so happy to see their friend.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved that DK and Diddy were terrified of King K. Rool but hyped for Banjo. It was a cute touch.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Yeah, as someone who never had the chance to play it as a kid (and has never had any attachment to the series), it was still such a sweet moment to watch unfold. So many smiles. :)

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this game is celebrated like a world cup final... I don't get it.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna make this thread, but you beat me to it. Definitely the best part of the whole trailer, which is the best Smash character reveal trailer to date.

SpiffyCourageousKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

Their joy perfectly mirrors that of everyone who has been dreaming of Banjo's inclusion for so many years. Long live that classic Rareware legacy. 😢

Boss-

Apr 20, 2018
I thought that was the best part. They seemed so happy to have their friend back.

Now please bring back DK Racing.

Diddy Kong Racing for both Microsoft Xbox and Switch would be awesome. Interesting is Rare could even dev a game like this anymore. But either way Microsoft could use a good kart racer on its system.

We have to consider what is on the other side of the deal (outside of money/royalties per sale of dlc for BK).

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
banjo and kazooie are not wholesome characters and assaulted Duck Hunt and murdered K Rool they are not friends

"Wholesome" is quickly gaining steam as one of the most over-used and annoying words here and on Twitter.

I thought it was heartwarming. Now THAT'S a word!

heartwarming is a word for 3rd graders I'm sorry

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Too bad Rare is now about GAAS. Please go back to making great (solo) games. Even Playtonic seems lost.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funniest part of the video IMO is Diddy Kong waking up DK and KRool lazy ass. lol

"Wake yall ass up!"

Jun 2, 2019
The whole thing was heartwarming af. From K Rool hanging with DK and Diddy at their shack to everyone celebrating Banjo's presence.

Grant's tweet is the icing in the cake

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The joy these Rare characters share for each other in the game is analogous to how much Rare's contributions to Nintendo means to the fans. It's perfect.

I've never played Banjo games either, but I love Rare's Donkey Kong and I bought a Banjo-Kazooie cartridge a few years back that I have yet to play. It's about time I play it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I love how DK, Diddy and K. Rool are just napping in the treehouse. Turns out the whole clash in the K. Rool reveal (and, uh, the entire DKC Trilogy + DK64) was just the equivalent of brothers roughhousing.

It was all just a harmless brodown:

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
While funny, the reveal for K Rool was a little better, the way their eyes popped out of their heads, I was literally laughing for minutes.

That being said, I want a movie, or series done in this style, shit would be hilarious.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
K Rool casually chilling with DK and Diddy is hilarious. I wish they'd start inviting him to Mario Kart.

The character mannerisms and comedic timing in that trailer are also amazing. Just the little things like Diddy clapping K Rool's sleep bubble and the King's legs flailing when he wakes up make me chuckle.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Phil... give Banjo-Kazooie, Conker and Joanna Dark back to Nintendo. It's cool. No one in Microsoft Games Studios wants to make those games anyway! Let them come home!!

I mean, yeah, they totally should. Hard to argue against, just sell the IPs back, Nintendo gets to work on an IP they know people will buy, MS gets their fans to stop haggling them to make a game they're never going to make.