• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does This Very Wholesome Moment Deserve a Thread?

• why yes, yes it does

Votes: 223 33.0%
  • HOO HEEEEEEE!!

Votes: 81 12.0%
  • GUH HUH!

Votes: 371 55.0%

• Total voters

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty crazy to think about. A Microsoft owned character in a Nintendo exclusive game. Nuts. Hopefully this doesn't open the floodgates of asking Master Chief to pop up in SSB lol.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah, they totally should. Hard to argue against, just sell the IPs back, Nintendo gets to work on an IP they know people will buy, MS gets their fans to stop haggling them to make a game they're never going to make.

Uh, the thing about that is if Nintendo wanted to make a 3d rare style platformer they would have just used the DK license (recall that DK64 outsold both Banjo games on top of avoiding all the license issues). They don't need to buy anything back, but they probably don't want to make it either.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i really enjoyed watching that rare reunion in a smash trailer, super well done. sakurai REALLY knows how to make a good trailer.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah, they totally should. Hard to argue against, just sell the IPs back, Nintendo gets to work on an IP they know people will buy, MS gets their fans to stop haggling them to make a game they're never going to make.

Nintendo barely make uses of some of their IP's like Star Fox and F-Zero, don't know why they would make a Conker or Perfect Dark game

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And to think in other trailers Sakurai killed off Mario, Mega Man, Samus, and Luigi

Nov 11, 2017
Smash Ultimate has become a grand celebration of Rare and their partnership with Nintendo and I love it

LtnZxiH.png

Fingers crossed we can get spirits/Mii Fighter outfits of miscellaneous Rare characters (ie Joanna Dark, Battletoads, etc) when Banjo comes out.
No Jet force Gemini Spirits tho :(

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
I love this reaction:

Is it wrong that I shed a few tears watching this? I had an N-64 and both Banjo games and enjoyed them well enough but don't have any personal attachment to the character. But watching all the unbridled excitement for what is effectively an estranged Nintendo character to come home just gets me in the feels.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I legit broke down into a sobbing fit when this trailer played. As a longtime fan of Nintendo and Rareware, I felt like I was in a fever dream.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
i loved how well it mirrored the K.K.Rool trailer
the whole sleeping in the treehouse to the fake out is so on point with it that it was a nice comedic touch to use the same format for the other Rare duo

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Still feels kinda surreal to me seeing ol' goofy K.Rool in scenes like this, look at his wonderfully absurd neck stretching in that gif!

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Man, people wanting Nintendo to buy back those IPs are delusional.

Banjo does nothing that Mario or DK can't. It's pretty redundant for Nintendo's portfolio.

There would be more merit if it were Perfect Dark, but that one feels like something MS would like to keep around.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also didn't realize the word "wholesome" was a thing, it's just the word that popped into my mind

I've been rewatching mad men

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate has become a grand celebration of Rare and their partnership with Nintendo and I love it

LtnZxiH.png

Fingers crossed we can get spirits/Mii Fighter outfits of miscellaneous Rare characters (ie Joanna Dark, Battletoads, etc) when Banjo comes out.
Back when the game was released, people datamined the game and found out there were unused text strings for Spirits from Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini.

Just saying

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Back when the game was released, people datamined the game and found out there were unused text strings for Spirits from Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini.

Just saying

I'm aware of that, but that's always been kinda dismissed as simply just being a mistake. People say that Nintendo apparantly retained the Japanese trademarks for Rare's games even after the buyout, and that the people working on the spirit mode in Ultimate might of just not realized that "Star Twins" or "Blast Dozer" were actually Microsoft owned IPs before the fact and thus removed them.

But now I wonder if it wasn't a mistake after all, and we'll get spirits added at some point, when Banjo comes out.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of that, but that's always been kinda dismissed as simply just being a mistake. People say that Nintendo apparantly retained the Japanese trademarks for Rare's games even after the buyout, and that the people working on the spirit mode in Ultimate might of just not realized that "Star Twins" or "Blast Dozer" were actually Microsoft owned IPs before the fact and thus removed them.

But now I wonder if it wasn't a mistake after all, and we'll get spirits added at some point, when Banjo comes out.
I think it's fair to assume it wasn't a mistake. We know Sakurai already had started work on Hero and Banjo back in November.

Oct 25, 2017
This needs to be changed.

Nuts and Bolts is pretty okay!

...that's it, the rest of those games suck. But B+K are cool characters (as is Gruntilda) and it's nice that they gave a nod to Rare formerly making DK and Banjo-Kazooie games for the N64 and formerly being part of the Rare Shared Universe (along with Conker, bring that little drunken guy back for Smash, too).

Why was K. Rool sleeping at DK's place?

You don't see Bowser mooching off the Mario bros.

Bruh, I've seen Bowser and Mario console each other because Peach decided that she had a life to live outside of a stifling, confining marriage to either of them, so K-Rool sleeping it off at DK's place is nothing.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Is the banjo 4kupdate out already? I can't tell if my xbox updated or not when I opened the game I didn't get prompted for a download.

Hard to argue against?
IP is like the most valuable thing for MS given Gamepass giving them away to Nintendo for free (because why would nintendo pay anything for Rare IP's?If they wanted to make another 3d platformer they could have made a dk64 2 anytime in the last decade and a half.)

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
The great thing is that it syncs well how people react to it. As everyone is getting excited, so are they.