• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand who buys this kind of stuff. I must be old, I must be stupid, I just don't get why anyone would spend that kind of money on a skin.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the problem. It's a product offered for sale, that is 100% superficial and optional, and people have a choice of buying it at the asking price. It can be $0.20, $20, $200, or $20,000. It's irrelevant. I've never paid for a skin in my life, and never will. But some people choose to do so, and the market accepts this pricing, otherwise we wouldn't see it. I don't see the point of being outraged at an optional product for sale, especially since it does not affect the core experience in the least.
My position exactly.
Even in real life, there are many expensive products that are not that expensive to make. But that is entirely acceptable as long as it is cosmetic and not in any way essential to anything. Vanity items are vanity items not just because of their looks, but about how much you spend on them. I encourage this, if only because this decreases the chance of having microtrasactions that actually affect gameplay.

If people want to spend thousands of dollars to buy a simple hat in a game that does nothing other than showing you have money to burn, I have no issues with it.

Pog

Banned
May 19, 2018
You can charge $500 for a premium skin and nobody would care if the game was F2P.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Damn is PUBG rough, it feels like a decade old game. I know they were the first big BR game but at some point they had to replace that with something more stable and better looking IMO, hard to judge it after seeing and playing games like Black Ops and Fortnite.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
playerunknownsbattlegsbelv.png

25 US DOLLARS for this!

Oh boy, you obviously haven't played Fortnite. This is nothing.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what is wrong with her face, pretty awful skin tbh, you would think they'd make a model vs what they did there.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

I really don't understand how they don't get this simple logic.

Nintendo sold 1-2 Switch for $60. I thought it was overpriced for the content and didn't buy. I didnt go on forums to wail about Nintendo killing gaming or forcing me at gunpoint to buy the game.

You really cant please everybody.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
Yikes! Is this the price that people are happy to pay for not having lootboxes? At least these are only optional cosmetic stuff...

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can charge $500 for a premium skin and nobody would care if the game was F2P.

Yes they would. Only has the last few years brought about greed normalization on a scale where some gamers act as if they have shares with their favourite companies.

Yikes! Is this the price that people are happy to pay for not having lootboxes? At least these are only optional cosmetic stuff...

PUBG has loot boxes.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Is this earnable in game? If not, why would you ever buy this. You're advertising to the world that you're a dummy who spends $25 on a skin. Same reason I didn't buy the Lúcio emote that was like $30. It tells the world you're a dummy willing to drop decent cash for a single cosmetic.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
Yes they would. Only has the last few years brought about greed normalization on a scale where some gamers act as if they have shares with their favourite companies.

PUBG has loot boxes.

Yep, but my question was: "are people happy to pay a cosmetic stuff 25 $ (the price of a full game) ?" Is this the price people wanted to pay to have free choice of cosmetic upgrades?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, but my question was: "are people happy to pay a cosmetic stuff 25 $ (the price of a full game) ?" Is this the price people wanted to pay to have free choice of cosmetic upgrades?

Potentially. With the absolute state of this industry as things stand the question becomes would you rather pay $25 for a skin or maybe $100+ chasing it via paid RNG.

I'd rather pay $25 for an expansion pack(s) like those seen with TW3, but I'm sort of prehistoric relic in the gaming industry now where all the fun is to be had dropping hundreds from your wages on RNG.

LBP like cosmetic pack costs is where I'd draw my line on reasonable, but I'd need to bring out my fainting couch for many on here to suggest around $5 is reasonable for a skin.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
The only thing that matters is whether or not people are willing to buy it.

If they are, then it clearly isn't too expensive.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Potentially. With the absolute state of this industry as things stand the question becomes would you rather pay $25 for a skin or maybe $100+ chasing it via paid RNG.

I'd rather pay $25 for an expansion pack(s) like those seen with TW3, but I'm sort of prehistoric relic in the gaming industry now where all the fun is to be had dropping hundreds from your wages on RNG.

LBP like cosmetic pack costs is where I'd draw my line on reasonable, but I'd need to bring out my fainting couch for many on here to suggest around $5 is reasonable for a skin.
What do you think about artists selling drawings for 50$?

Deleted member 31247

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The entirety of capitalism is based on selling you things that you probably don't need for a price that is probably too high, Can't really see the harm in such a case.

Need to cut down on the gambling aspects and such which can lead to psychological addiction.

elelunicy

Oct 27, 2017
You're not entitled to any skins in a game just because you play it (this applies to both F2P and full priced titles) and they are under no obligation to make these skins affordable to you. They can make a exclusive skin for those who donate them $1 million if they want to. If you can't afford it then you can't afford.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think about artists selling drawings for 50$?

What do you think I think about a completely different industry without the same size of audience of the video games industry, without the same marketing deals and probably without the same CEOs making billions?

Oh geez, I don't know, maybe I would think differently?

Last edited:

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
The entirety of capitalism is based on selling you things that you probably don't need for a price that is probably too high, Can't really see the harm in such a case.

Need to cut down on the gambling aspects and such which can lead to psychological addiction.

Eh... 6 $ are already 10% of the price of a standard game, for a skin recolor

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it feels game companies can't do anything to satisfy gamers.

"We don't like RNG lot boxes, give us the option to buy what we want"

"Ok here you can buy what you want with real money, no predatory gambling involved"

"Wtf, why is this the pricet? This is unacceptable and just pure greed"

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, if other people buying this garbage keeps up the servers for me to keep playing the game...sure, put up skins for a 1000 bucks for all I care.
I mean this in general, I don't even play PUBG.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, I'm sure the development costs behind this single skin justify a $25 asking price.

I mean, sure, people could be suckers and buy something like, I dunno, the entire witcher 3 season pass for the same price, with it providing many outfits (If playing dressup is really what you're after) and tens of hours of new content, or they could be smart spenders and buy a single skin for the same price.

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG doesn't have paid lootboxes, right ? No big deal then.

You can obtain PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds crates either by buying them with the in-game currency, Battle Points (BP), or by purchasing them on the Steam Community Marketplace using real money. Battle Points are earned through playing the game. You get more BP per match the more kills you get and the longer you remain alive.

PUBG crates cost more BP with each subsequent crate you earn in a week, which helps maintain the rarity of items and ensure the game has an item economy. Your first PUBG crates costs 700 BP, the price then increases significantly for each new crate, resetting a week after you purchased the first crate. There is a limit of six PUBG crates per week, here are the prices:

8s6JBDq.png

https://www.pcgamesn.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds/pubg-crates-items-cosmetics-keys-loot

They're mostly leveraging the Steam Marketplace, but the devs get a cut of that.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
but I'd need to bring out my fainting couch for many on here to suggest around $5 is reasonable for a skin.

Which is fine, that's your opinion. If somebody else feels otherwise, why would you need a fainting chair? Why does it matter that somebody might rather get a skin for their favorite character in a game as opposed to buying a different game for the same price?

The sentiment here seems to be "I don't understand how that's worth it to anybody," and that's fine because the value individuals find in anything like this is entirely subjective.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is fine, that's your opinion. It somebody else feels otherwise, why would you need a fainting chair? Why does it matter that somebody might rather get a skin for their favorite character in a game as opposed to buying a different game for the same price?

The sentiment here seems to be "I don't understand how that's worth it to anybody," and that's fine because the value individuals find in anything like this is entirely subjective.

They are but this industry isn't an absolute. We have lots of history of value proposition throughout the generations, and still do now with some developers not flying out of the gate to go for maximum price gouging/taking advantage of their overly loyal fanbases.

Pitting companies against each other and being aggressive in debating/challenging them should be the status quo. That balance has been shifting more and more in recent times to a wall of gamers getting wild if their favourite companies are prodded a bit. I mean, that's always been there, PS3 vs 360 platform wars were fucking insane. Platform wars have ironically died off a bit, and now it's far more about loyalty towards devs/pubs and battles between gamers over value proposition.

My inner laugh has always been travel back in time not too long ago and try and get the NeoGAF topics on horse armour at $2.50 to talk about how $50~100+ skins in gaming are just choice and something to be proud of. It's funny how quickly normalization of the mind progresses.

Last edited:

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Other games like League of Legends have had $20 skins for years, heck games like CS:Go have weapon skins and whatnot that sell for well over $100 on the Steam Marketplace. If people are willing to pay for them them then I honestly don't see the issue. They're entirely cosmetic and you know exactly what you're buying.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest i prefer this direct buy rather than lootboxing. At least you get all piece at once. For the price of 10 lootboxes is OK i guess.

The price is not new. Korean game cosmetic is this much expensive in many case.

I miss the day skin are really just $1.99-4.99

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Cosmetic prices are really getting outrageous. I would gladly pay a couple of bucks for a cool skin and have done so in the past for games like PlayStation All-Stars and Rocket League, but this is just pure greed. I guess there are plenty of whales willing to pay up though.

"We don't like RNG lot boxes, give us the option to buy what we want"

"Ok here you can buy what you want with real money, no predatory gambling involved"

"Wtf, why is this the pricet? This is unacceptable and just pure greed"

In what world is $25 an acceptable price for a goddamn skin? That's nearly what the game itself costs!

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
They are but this industry isn't an absolute. We have lots of history of value proposition throughout the generations, and still do now with some developers not flying out of the gate to go for maximum price gouging/taking advantage of their overly loyal fanbases.

Pitting companies against each other and being aggressive in debating/challenging them should be the status quo. That balance has been shifting more and more in recent times to a wall of gamers getting wild if their favourite companies are prodded a bit. I mean, that's always been there, PS3 vs 360 platform wars were fucking insane. Platform wars have ironically died off a bit, and now it's far more about loyalty towards devs/pubs and battles between gamers over value proposition.

I'm just not sure about the "price gouging" in this specific case. It just seems like another exaggerated response by people that aren't willing to pay that price.

If you want to talk about some of the addictive nature of lootboxes and talk about being unethical/exploitative practices behind that, I can at least understand the case regardless of whether or not I fully agree. Those sorts of RNG systems muddy the expected cost of any given item. This doesn't. It's $20 or $25 depending on the skin a person wants. There's no RNG. If one doesn't like the skin at that price, one doesn't buy it. If they do like it, they do buy it.

I just think it's really hard to get behind "taking advantage of overly loyal fanbases/price gouging" when it's an entirely optional transaction that, at least in this case, is only pushed by the appeal of the costume itself, rather than anything else related to the game. It just seems overly hyperbolic.

Value proposition is entirely subjective. If I value some skin at $300 and decide to buy it, more power to me. If I don't, then I don't purchase it. There's really not much to say outside of that on a per-person basis, because I shouldn't and can't speak for the value proposition of a given piece of content (gameplay related or cosmetic) for anyone besides myself.

My inner laugh has always been travel back in time not too long ago and try and get the NeoGAF topics on horse armour at $2.50 to talk about how $50~100+ skins in gaming are just choice and something to be proud of. It's funny how quickly normalization of the mind progresses.

The market and the way it's monetized has drastically changed in the last twelve years. It's always been about choice.

In what world is $25 an acceptable price for a goddamn skin? That's nearly what the game itself costs!

In today's world, where what is "acceptable" for a given dollar amount is going to vary on a per-person basis. This is literally how people decide to spend their money on a holistic level.

Last edited: