• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What weakness is it preying on exactly? The customer knows the price, they know exactly the product they're getting (in their local currency, no less), and they're free to walk away at any time.

You already concede that cosmetic microtransactions are not fundamentally immoral, so there is nothing inherently predatory about this practice. We're just haggling about the price at this point.

Pretty much. It's more and more obvious that the crusade isn't against "predatory microtransactions" but the crusade is against "paying money" at all. This is a known product, it shows you exactly what it is, for how much, no luck, no bullshit, and people are STILL complaining.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah It's called irony.
Since I've hit 39 it's a concept I'm begining to grasp.
Come on dude. It's a cringy comment about a cringy commercial move. Relax.

Just to be a pedant here, it's not irony. It's sarcasm.

This rise up shit meme is being used in every single thread where even the faintest smell of corporate criticism rears its head. It's fucking obnoxious and is often used to stifle criticism. Not saying that was your goal mind you.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Skin I would never want costs price I would never pay. Cool beans for those that do/would though.

Don't see the problem.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the price being a bit high, I don't have a problem with this. It's cosmetic, so you don't need it and it's not locked behind random loot boxes.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Can these skins be traded for profit later? If not, then why bother. I need some incentive to invest in the skin economy.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
That's basically what a premium skin cost when sold directly without loot boxes

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus.

The only game I've played with skins of comparable prices is Path of Exile, which I feel gets away with it because:
  • It's F2P
  • It's a staggeringly massive game in terms of content
Having skins be this expensive on top of having to pay for the base game is really shitty. But it's been going on for years, so I don't know what to do about it other than just not buy them myself.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
You should see CSGO haha this is nothing. #riseup

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I remember a time when skins in games were free unlocks you unlocked just for progressing...

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Jesus.

The only game I've played with skins of comparable prices is Path of Exile, which I feel gets away with it because:
  • It's F2P
  • It's a staggeringly massive game in terms of content
Having skins be this expensive on top of having to pay for the base game is really shitty. But it's been going on for years, so I don't know what to do about it other than just not buy them myself.

Yeah pretty much, POE deserves the money thou I played more than 2000 hours without paying a single cent...

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Why do people act like you need skins in these games?

Too expensive? Its a cosmetic who the fuck cares. I didn't have a Karambit fade and I got to global elite just fine.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
3USgt2g.gif

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a few games. Shit tons of Harley Queens around. Bluehole making that bank.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How is paying so much for this skin any different than other hobbies? Toy figures, card games, etc cost a lot and not everyone has the money for it.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying it isn't overpriced but just stop being bothered by how others spend their cash. Just play the game.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I've never bought a skin, and I never will. I refuse to be another open bank account for these companies to get rich on. Map packs or expansions is where I draw the line.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I imagine if Overwatch sold legendary skins outright, they'd cost close to this. Heroes of the Storm sold characters and skins outright (at least during its initial launch) and those were like $10 a pop.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an officially licensed skin, I guess it's to be expected that it is more expensive than non-licensed skins. Is this proof that prices are "out of control" or does OP only think it's a price to steep for him?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's why I prefer the way HotS or Overwatch go about things right now. Rather get some cool skins for free than having to pay an absurd amount for one.
Yeah, I'll never get the outrage over OW loot boxes. Some other games? absolutely. but you can get any skin you want in OW for 20 bucks with the coins it gives you, with a chance of just getting it outright, and guaranteed getting a shitload of other stuff. Getting the gold got a bit harder with the dupe changes, but it also makes getting the thing you want easier, and makes it guaranteedly easier over time.

More on point with OP, it's both a really outlandish and cool skin for pubg, and it's licensed. Seems pricey to me but also not like, ridiculous.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
If it's overpriced, then don't buy it.

OPs like this just reinforce my thesis that a lot of gamers don't hate MTX out of principle but because they don't want to pay the price that the market will support.

Personally, I like OW's loot boxes since you get everything for free if you play long enough while they still get paid by people that don't want to wait. Best of both worlds. If they let you buy stuff individually, I'd still be a free player as long as there's the option.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is a ridiculous take. This is just pure greed plain and simple. There's plenty of other games that sell skins directly for far, far less than 20 dollars

Of course it's greed. Everything these companies do is based around greed, or rather, maximizing profits down to the cent and getting away with as much as they possibly can. If other companies charge less for skins it's not because they are nice, it's because they have determined they can't charge more, otherwise they would.