• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
All,

It only took me a few minutes to play this game (on PC) to realize it has just dethrowned RDR2 (1X) on what I would call "best looking" game this gen. The animation, smooth 60FPS, and incredible art direction made it easily take the title. I own a 2080Ti and it's a locked 60FPS even in the cutscenes. The cutscenes are freaking amazing and do indeed rival CG from many years ago. The characters and NPCs while in gameplay look amazingly detailed! This game literally has the best shading materials I've seen since The Order 1886. I started to notice this excellent shading in RE2 Remake, but with this game and it's art direction, it sticks out like a sore thumb. One mention of Metro: Exodus RTX. While it's incredible looking to see the correct lighting solution, it's textures and somewhat inferior art direction doesn't quite put it on the same level as DmCV. In DmCV, they do their best (along with R*) to hide this horrible baked-lighting solution that plagues every single game released.

I can't wait to see what Capcom has for future games using this RE Engine. They've literally jumped up on my list for of the best companies in the gaming industry. Yes, Capcom is back!

Anyone else share the same sentiments? Any comparisons worth noting with other games?

UPDATE: Screens (please do not turn this thread into a screenshot war)
F213F955B99EC4E06A26D9E8ED1680F7EEC77354

B0B278D147F5B8A2525221AF7E5B1D67711EC34F

8BD7579A197BD60E41089E1EC0CB492418D9BDEC

AA83A4C33BBC2A30D119269FB8F361F2A87B38AA

184E860F6881F2F9843AB98D0ABC5788309D7B11

891203BF5B8C9982B11AAD6034F39718E2D24FBA

Last edited:

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to correct that it is DMC and not DmC.

But yes, this is indeed one of the best looking games even on consoles. The cutscenes might as well be pre-rendered movies.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm probably gonna buy this on pc for the graphic alone...

Also op make some 4k screen for us.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't even gotten DmC2 yet!

I've always been a proponent that performance, along with confident art style, is what allows a game to age well graphically. The fidelity wows me in DMC, but not as much as how silky smooth it runs and its overall aesthetic design. 10 years from now I'll be able to pick it up and it'll still look and feel great, the same way DMC4 still looks and feels great, without the need of a remaster to fix issues. It's the kind of thing you might not fully appreciate until long after the game's come out.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
In terms of character rendering I think it's at the top, but envoirments look just good.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I really like what they did with the hair. It may not be the most technologically accomplished, but it looks very good.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I think RE2 looks better overall but yea RE engine games have been looking great.

Oct 31, 2017
I just want to correct that it is DMC and not DmC.

But yes, this is indeed one of the best looking games even on consoles. The cutscenes might as well be pre-rendered movies.
why is m small

And yes, this game is the best looking game available so far, imo.
Freudian slip since they know the best Devil May Cry ever... :P

I have been totally blown away by those facial animations. I remember when the Anthem reviews hit and people were trying to say anything nice about the game, several people mentioned that the facial animations held up nicely. RE7/2ReMake/DMCV are on a completely different level. Also, seeing Mega Man's buster in that engine is such a treat.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Was it upgraded from the demo? Didn't impress me there, found RDR2 and Metro Exodus definitely better looking.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
No, not really. lol.

There are plenty of better looking games (RDR 2, The Order 1886, Horizon: Zero Dawn etc. etc.)

And Capcom never really went anywhere.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
As much as I agree with you OP...

That little m will forever haunt this thread

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Cutscene charcter models are probably the best ever put in a game, they look so wonderful!

But the gameplay graphics I think are much too paired back to say that- they cut out quite a lot to make the game run at 60 fps in gameplay on consoles.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The graphics are good but no, it's not King. RDR2 is better and so are a few other games. You're also trying to compare a 2080ti to an XB1X...

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No, RDR2 is vastly superior. DMC5 looks great but RDR2 is just on a different level. It is so crisp looking.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But is this comparison considering in-game graphics or the cutscenes? Because the models take a big hit in quality outside cutscenes.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 has larger and better looking environments, plus dynamic weather and time. DMC5 does look great though and I'm waiting to see their engine upgrades for Dragon's Dogma 2 which should bring in the dynamic time, weather, and open world!

Jan 15, 2018
I think it's still Metro Exodus, the game looks absolutely ridiculous even with RTX off. First person games are always going to look better on closer inspection, because of how close you can get to things from that perspective.

DMCV is no slouch though, effects and particles look amazing and the character models are up there with the best I've ever seen, but its environments just cant compete. There as also just weirdly low res textures out in the open in random places, no idea if it's a loading issue, but they don't ever seem to pop in.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
RDR2 wasn't not absolutely the best game visually this generation with all respect. I mean, maybe in terms of pure tech rendering I think Detroit Become Humans it's something which come very close to this definition considered the hardware but RDR2, although artistically is surely unbeatable, doesn't exhibits particularly surprising rendering tech to be defined the most impressive game, exception for the animations. IMHO. Said that I always thought RE engine is probably one of the best engine without doubt considered it can reach 60fps with such weak cpu.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Character models, absolutely top tier in the industry. Environments? Absolutely top of the line but still surpassed by other games. There's one small issue i have though is that the audio is off in some scenes due to what appears to be poor ADR. Which makes it seem like the lip sync/animation is off.

No, not really. lol.

There are plenty of better looking games (RDR 2, The Order 1886, Horizon: Zero Dawn etc. etc.)
Some of the expressions made on the characters in this game, and the complexity surpass those games easily. It's literally a game full of Hellblade tier models. At 60fps no less.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I'm about to start the game on X1X but from the demo it looked magnificent. King? I don't think so. It all depends on ones prefered style at the end

Mar 29, 2018
Cutscene charcter models are probably the best ever put in a game, they look so wonderful!

But the gameplay graphics I think are much too paired back to say that- they cut out quite a lot to make the game run at 60 fps in gameplay on consoles.
Yeah, an option in a future update to "un-pare" the graphics would be great. Limit the FPS to 30 or sth and add an option to download more assets or higher res textures for the backgrounds.

Nov 8, 2017
Honestly, the game runs incredibly well on PC. They definitely had room to increase fidelity. I am by no means a person that gets excited by graphics. And this game is no exception. It looks good, but I wouldn't go crazy over it. Some of textures look pretty flat. I'm running 1440p at 120% render resolution. I do appreciate the lack of jagged edges.

Either way, I don't care; Gameplay is king.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It runs really well, and the character models are astounding, but I think the environments are all a bit flat. If you just showed me closeups of Dante I'd say hell yes, but overall I'm not sure.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Said it before, no other game holds 4k/60fps (almost locked, averaging over 59fps) at this graphical fidelity (considering number of enemies on screen, speed and response input), on consoles, this is simply magic.