• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about buying this now and possibly buying Sekiro sometime much later on. Don't have time for both and the performance and graphics of DMC5 sound first rate.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even about how good it looks (and it does look stunning), it's that it looks so good and performs exceptionally.

I've never played an action game that both looks this good and runs so well.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, not really it isn't. It's a good looking game for sure. Personally speaking I find The Order 1886 is still the best looking game out there.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God of War still beats it:

08.max-1920x1200.jpegquality-90.png

That's an amusing thing to say considering every DMCV picture you quoted decimates the one of Kratos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VFX_Veteran

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm not talking about resolution ( of course X1X version has a higher res ), but about assets, and they are the same in both versions. Anway, why bother

It doesn't matter if the assets are the same. That's not the bottleneck in the graphics pipeline. It's the framebuffer (i.e. where most of the VFX are spent in screenspace); which is dependent on the resolution. Every single screenspace pixel shader will be evaluated at the lower resolution thus making the game look far worse than it should. That's the whole reason why multiplats are rendered at lower than ideal (@4k) resolution with upscaling.

Last edited:

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
It looks good but it has very static environments and the lighting looks off at times. It's not anywhere near as close graphically to games like Horizon, GOW and RDR2...all of which have much more complicated level design (in GoW's case) and so much more going on physics and AI wise. DMCV is very flashy though.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I think the RE engine have one flaw. (At least I think it is due to engine not design choice) it does not do well with cutscenes where scenes goes from one envieroment to another. In DMCV there is a moment where things hapening from diffrent perspective in quick session, I think its at the end of mission 12. Usually it one scene but all those scenes are seperate from each other and load in between.

I think thats Engine because remembering RE2 there was not many scenes where it shows characters in diffrent space in one cut. But also can be director choice.

Sorry if it does not make sense but Im talking about this
Starts at 4.05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-96T4q6zzM

I saw those scenes to load not too long but still a bit long in between

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely up there, but DMC5 hasn't especially blown me away vs. other games out there. I would also push back against the idea Metro Exodus has inferior textures or art direction to DMC5. I feel Metro excels far more in most things related to its environment than DMC5 does, but when it comes to characters/enemies DMC5 excels vs. most other games.

DMC5 just has kinda basic urban environments layered on with demon decay, and some of that stuff is pretty blurry with low texture resolution. Metro: Exodus on the other hand I can get fine micro-detail like welding on a run of the mill not important stair railing because the texture resolution is high on so many assets, and the art design adds so much atmosphere to locations.

DMC5 is a character action game, and the most clear technical effort has gone into characters, because that is who you're fighting as, and what you're fighting against.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It will take something really special t top RDR 2 for me. I doubt anything this gen or early next gen will.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... I'm not going out of my way to find terrible looking scenery. The game just keeps showing it to me.

c7hVbMr.jpg

Zz4c4gp.jpg

Oof

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
It looks good, but nothing special really. Nothing touches RDR2, The order and U4 on console (not tested metro yet)

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I mean... I'm not going out of my way to find terrible looking scenery. The game just keeps showing it to me.

c7hVbMr.jpg

Zz4c4gp.jpg

Oof
From what I understand making background bland is part of game design, if it have been detailed it might have been difficult to orient in the chaos that combat creates especially hard to make it run consistanly with 60 fps.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
It looks good, but nothing special really.

Very much my view the more I play. Character models, in the cutscenes, are fantastic, but outside of that, while not a bad looking game, it isn't anything special (certainly not enough to warrant this thread).

I get it, though. They wanted to push that 60fps on console, and as result, it took a hit in certain areas of the visuals.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Overall, I just want to see more appreciation for the technical achievements of all of these games because it's a bit surreal that this is the kind of quality that we're getting these days, and it's only going to get better. My two cents.

Honestly how I have felt since the beginning of this gen. Graphics and visual fidelity right now are absurd; all I can do is sit back and enjoy, and it's only getting better.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Is it possible to mod the PC version so that the in game models retain the SSS and fancy flourishes the cutscene models have?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When the lighting hits just right

XrAplcH.png

DMCV looks ridiculous

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I kind of hate the photorealistic faces. It's the uncanny valley effect, I think. It's just eerily unnatural.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Both Resident Evil 2 and DMC 5 look SO fucking good. The animations and character models in both games are beyond impressive. Very excited to see what magic this engine pulls off in the coming years, especially on next-gen hardware.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Crossing Eden

Peep these essentially perfect animation transitions. For those unfamiliar, these aren't dial-a-combos/animation strings like in Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta, these are entirely unique animations/attacks, seamlessly blending with one another. These are super slowed down. In practice you basically never notice this since the game is so fast.

SeHnASS.gif

bieozuh.gif

qd9zpb2.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Crossing Eden

Peep these essentially perfect animation transitions. For those unfamiliar, these aren't dial-a-combos/animation strings like in Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta, these are entirely unique animations/attacks, seamlessly blending with one another. These are super slowed down. In practice you basically never notice this since the game is so fast.

SeHnASS.gif

bieozuh.gif

qd9zpb2.gif
You can really tell that better animation blending was a huge focus. Even animations that are reused/remade from DMC4 have better blends back into the idle poses/with other attacks. It's a dream come true.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The character models are indeed phenomenal. So is the light and material. Obviously, the environments are not up to that standard.

But you know, considering that limitations on resources do exist, I don't mind this balance. That is, where the characters are a noticeably higher grade than the environment. Getting the environments up to that grade would likely be a gargantuan task. Some huge games take it on, but in an age of spiraling budgets I think dmc5 holds its own.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
The graphics in this game are unfuckingbelievable, how the hell it's 60fps on PS4 plPro is beyond me, what sorcery is this.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
The characters and animations are great no doubt but everything else cant touch GoW, HZD, GoW, U4, RDR2, etc

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
FOr me what sets DMC apart is that when characters laugh and show laughing animations it actually looks very natural. Strangely this laughing emotion always falls flat and looks really off in other games. I think capcom has developed an incredible technoligy thad has put them in the lead

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Alright so it's only cutscenes that look great so that kind of disqualifies it. Gameplay screens look alright

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
God of War still beats it:

08.max-1920x1200.jpegquality-90.png

No, not really, not even close.

I played GOW on Pro by the way, you can't compare it to DMC5 on PC. Look at this shit, this is fucking next gen.

unknown.png

If I told you this is Nathan Drake from Uncharted 5 you'll be screaming ''Holy shit this looks way better than GOW!!!''

Last edited:

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
It's the kind of game that doesn't really hold up to scrutiny when you bust out a magnifying glass and look at individuals elements in isolation. The AO, the complete lack of reflections in any water/puddles, a decent amount of blaaagh textures and geometry. Rendering-wise, it's probably not the most impressive looking game ever.

But taken as a whole, it's unbelievably gorgeous in a way few other games can match. The exquisite animations, the phenomenal performance, the lighting in a lot of the levels, the character models(dante's jacket in-game looks WHEW BUDDY) and the way everyone's loose clothing/hair sways, etc.

The particle effects in particular are astounding. Just fuuuuuuuckin' ludicrous, man.

vuml3Pj.gif

veqXMkl.gif

In-motion, this game is just total bullshit.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the kind of game that doesn't really hold up to scrutiny when you bust out a magnifying glass and look at individuals elements in isolation. The AO, the complete lack of reflections in any water/puddles, a decent amount of blaaagh textures and geometry. Rendering-wise, it's probably not the most impressive looking game ever.

But taken as a whole, it's unbelievably gorgeous in a way few other games can match. The exquisite animations, the phenomenal performance, the lighting in a lot of the levels, the character models(dante's jacket in-game looks WHEW BUDDY) and the way everyone's loose clothing/hair sways, etc.

The particle effects in particular are astounding. Just fuuuuuuuckin' ludicrous, man.

vuml3Pj.gif

veqXMkl.gif

In-motion, this game is just total bullshit.
Sometimes people don't look at the big picture.

But let's look at the small picture.

Look at this shit.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I'm clearly not seeing what everyone else is seeing here...
DMC5 looks good but playing through the entire thing as WELL as looking at the screenshots being posted in here, there is absolutely nothing blowing me away at all...

Meanwhile, it's being trounced left and right by about 95% of the screenshots it's being compared to in this very thread...Metro Exodus looks fucking AMAZING...