• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
There's no such thing as a king of graphics. That being said, it's an incredible looking game.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
it .. really doesn't.

Having played up till chapter 8 on PC. I agree with what a lot of people have already said. REALLY impressive cut-scenes. But game play looks flat, seems like a lot of effects such as AO, and lighting quality take a hit during game play compared to cut-scenes even if you have them on the higher ends.

RE2 is a lot more consistent across the board in it's quality.

That's disappointing hearing about the lack of consistency. I'm still relatively early in the game but I think it has higher highs and lower lows than RE2. I'm more impressed by the lighting and model renders in DMC than RE2. No one bring out their knives but I admit to not being very impressed by RE2 outside of the character models.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Nope, sorry, as big of a DMC fan I am, compared to RDR2 it's not the best looking game out there, great looking,yes, but not the best.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
As an overall package I still thinks things like God of War or Gran Turismo are more impressive. And there is doubtless PC only games that shit on it om a technical level.

But artistically? You can have whatever opinion you like.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This game may set the record for shortest time until bland grey underground tunnels. There are times it looks absolutely stellar, and then there's most of the time. Mission 3 is straight up ugly. There is nothing impressive about the environments in this game so far (I'm less than halfway through to be fair), they're just getting by on the great quality of the rendering. Capcom put the focus on the characters, which is smart, but I'm not going to pretend it's not incredibly obvious where they cut corners.

I'm early, but so far I'd agree.

The character models are exceptional. The materials, fabrics, accessories, and hair are truly damn near Advent-Children level good.

Cutscenes are phenomenal. Fantastic lighting, insane particle effects.

But the environments are bland as fuck. Narrow as shit. Lack variety in both materials and overall aesthetic. Damn near zero interactivity. Very flat. Again, super easy to see where they cut corners.

On PC, at least, I'd give the edge to REMake 2 over this. I'd say RDR2 is still the best looking game I've seen - though it also runs at half the framerate at best.

I can't wait to give Metro w/ RTX a roll. I'm waiting for my new laptop to arrive (9900K + 2080 + 64GB) and that'll probably the first game I play to put it through its paces.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 has larger and better looking environments, plus dynamic weather and time. DMC5 does look great though and I'm waiting to see their engine upgrades for Dragon's Dogma 2 which should bring in the dynamic time, weather, and open world!

Finally going to get the early Deep Down tech demo in playable form.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Because it's running in real time.
These models are actually processed by the hardware. And it's not like the rest was lacking (damn ingame cloth and hair physics is amazing).

I haven't played it yet (I'm still torturing myself with RDR2 because the story is so good) but that is ridiculous if when you switch to actively playing the game there is a large drop in quality. Who cares if the in game movies are good.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it yet (I'm still torturing myself with RDR2 because the story is so good) but that is ridiculous if when you switch to actively playing the game there is a large drop in quality. Who cares if the in game movies are good.

There'll always be a drop in quality between cutscenes and models.
Even in game though, it looks great as I said. It's just that in cutscenes, this is hands down the best 3D character models we saw in a game so far in real time.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
There'll always be a drop in quality between cutscenes and models.
Even in game though, it looks great as I said. It's just that in cutscenes, this is hands down the best 3D character models we saw in a game so far in real time.

I don't think that should be a barometer personally. I can't think of a cut scene in any game ever that I have thought - Now that is a new benchmark for graphics. Take RDR2 for instance I can't think of one cutscene I was even impressed by but riding my horse through a valley at sunrise with the morning fog about to dissipate now that is when I'm impressed.

A Robot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
D78EF2B8C512E0A62386D96E2751A39A96DF4D44
Man those reflection next to the fountain on the street makes the whole scene look like ass.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Character models in cutscenes are top notch.

In-game graphics, some areas are good looking, the later stages feels a little repetitive / bland, but considering its running on 60fps most of the time, its quite impressive overall.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'm sorry guys.. but I stand by what I've seen so far. I just got to Mission 2 and went exploring the enviornments. The high quality shaders completely leapfrog any game out to date. There isn't another game that renders with this kind of quality - especially at 60FPS. Here are some more shots I made:

D259AF56E60FB99F7CC0A0FC3191F0006E1C1C82

Take a look at the props (ballons). I've never seen such a realistic shader since TO:1886. Including Metro/RDR2 (all the other PS4 exclusives are pretty old fair by now to even compare)

FAC7DE012D5342A02F1C7951D5AE30AB7F712C0A

Again more props with atmospheric volume smoke and heavy use of AO coupled with the materials = extremely well done graphics engine!

Impressive atmosphere here. The textures are very detailed as well as the normal maps from this distance.

810A046C6D1B4E25898F23F123626D1CC41AC28A

Again, very good detail on the grown bricks. I can't find this consistently throughout Metro and RDR2 isn't going to be as sharp as this on PC.

956EE9D1372B3B7FF2D2CB1E526EF83BC007D746

Crazy detail. Show me a single setting in Metro that looks this good.

84103BEC5788160298BEEC103359C5D174FD695A

Best material work ever! Look at how they got the SSS right on the black guy's hand holding the cigarette. Show me any SSS you want that looks that good. His vest is a shiny velvet, his coat has the proper scattered light for fuzzy coat.

This is the kind of quality that I expect moving forward. And at 60FPS? I wonder what other hidden features they have in their RE Engine that can spice up the rendering even more. RTX lighting, perhaps?

Am I being punked or should I not be looking at these shots on my laptop?
These don't look good at all.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Game looks great. Some of the later areas are pretty bland though for sure. Cutscenes are amazing.

46601954134_d6c77a5a94_o.png

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The funny thing is the pictures the OP keeps using look worse than it does my 1X. Not sure what's going on there.

Jun 17, 2018
I'm not a very big fan of RDR2 but the graphics in DMC are nowhere near as good. Although DMC looks fantastic, RDR2 is on another level visually.

All that being said, I believe DMC is the better game to actually play.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's crazy how that works, thanks for the info.
IGN still makes this mistake. They did this two E3s ago with Forza 7 and then did it again with DMC5 footage a month back. It's instantly obvious. You can create a LUT to tone map HDR to SDR, which I've done several times before, but if you don't you get bland, gray footage like that.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
IGN still makes this mistake. They did this two E3s ago with Forza 7 and then did it again with DMC5 footage a month back. It's instantly obvious. You can create a LUT to tone map HDR to SDR, which I've done several times before, but if you don't you get bland, gray footage like that.

With IGN I'm not even surprised at their blunders anymore. Your videos always look great in both HDR and SDR especially in 4K. I'm glad you guys take the time and put in the effort to do so.
Please can you guys make a mention if a game has HDR or not? I think there've been a few videos with no mentions of whether games use it. Not that you do all the videos on the channel but it'd be much appreciated.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
With IGN I'm not even surprised at their blunders anymore. Your videos always look great in both HDR and SDR especially in 4K. I'm glad you guys take the time and put in the effort to do so.
Please can you guys make a mention if a game has HDR or not? I think there've been a few videos with no mentions of whether games use it. Not that you do all the videos on the channel but it'd be much appreciated.
I did mention it in DMC5 but it was late in the video, I think. 😏

I usually try to mention at least but I'm no EvilBoris - that's man who knows his HDR.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
I'm sorry guys.. but I stand by what I've seen so far. I just got to Mission 2 and went exploring the enviornments. The high quality shaders completely leapfrog any game out to date. There isn't another game that renders with this kind of quality - especially at 60FPS. Here are some more shots I made:

D259AF56E60FB99F7CC0A0FC3191F0006E1C1C82

Take a look at the props (ballons). I've never seen such a realistic shader since TO:1886. Including Metro/RDR2 (all the other PS4 exclusives are pretty old fair by now to even compare)

FAC7DE012D5342A02F1C7951D5AE30AB7F712C0A

Again more props with atmospheric volume smoke and heavy use of AO coupled with the materials = extremely well done graphics engine!

Impressive atmosphere here. The textures are very detailed as well as the normal maps from this distance.

810A046C6D1B4E25898F23F123626D1CC41AC28A

Again, very good detail on the grown bricks. I can't find this consistently throughout Metro and RDR2 isn't going to be as sharp as this on PC.

956EE9D1372B3B7FF2D2CB1E526EF83BC007D746

Crazy detail. Show me a single setting in Metro that looks this good.

84103BEC5788160298BEEC103359C5D174FD695A

Best material work ever! Look at how they got the SSS right on the black guy's hand holding the cigarette. Show me any SSS you want that looks that good. His vest is a shiny velvet, his coat has the proper scattered light for fuzzy coat.

This is the kind of quality that I expect moving forward. And at 60FPS? I wonder what other hidden features they have in their RE Engine that can spice up the rendering even more. RTX lighting, perhaps?

I don't see this awesome Special shaders that no other Game has. Especially these grown bricks look like something from the 360 era. King of graphics is the best overall package not just cutscenes. There are many games with better looking gameplay.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I did mention it in DMC5 but it was late in the video, I think. 😏

I usually try to mention at least but I'm no EvilBoris - that's man who knows his HDR.

You definitely mentioned it in the DMC video. Thanks as I value your input.
I think it is great that you guys have brought on board members of this community like EvilBoris and Dictator. It really brings the community together.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
This shit is the best and most technically advanced video game of this generation thus far. cannot wait for TLoU2!

Xvl0exq.png

ViAZnn.jpg

26984561325_61f56a7a2c_o.png

FNYh6V.png

26746739460_d827b726f4_o.png

26994653466_aa0d5315a5_o.png

uncharted4_athiefsendy7kse.png

1AEg2L.png

uncharted4_athiefsendq2yiw.png

uncharted4_athiefsendllzwi.png

ejj2zS.png

SwgqiS.png

A2zzdA.png

u4anim23guu6.gif

u4animvsuy0.gif

Most realistic real-time kiss in gaming history
uc4ajpt4.gif

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I would say the cutscene models in DMC 5 are more impressive overall than U4, but the environments in U4 are easily more impressive. Again though, DMC 5 is 60 fps. It is a super impressive feat.

Upcoming games will change this debate quite significantly though, as always.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
I would say the cutscene models in DMC 5 are more impressive overall than U4, but the environments in U4 are easily more impressive. Again though, DMC 5 is 60 fps. It is a super impressive feat.

Upcoming games will change this debate quite significantly though, as always.

It is in cutscenes not 60 fps it is closer to a locked 30fps Game.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
I'd agree on the best looking teeth... and the characters, enemies, effects are looking very good.
When it comes to the look of the environments not so much. I'm in chapter 11 and not impressed by the level design.
Uncharted 4 and especially RDR2 are looking a lot better in that regard.
But RE engine is a performance monster.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It looks great but more importantly runs great. So yeah, I would say it is the most technically impressive game because of that.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
It looks aboutely 100% better than last year's Sony exclusives and about 200% better than Horizon which is already showing its age.

Hey now, it's a universal truth that Sony exclusives are the best-looking games ever made because of the Power of the Playstation. TLOU2 will blow DMC5 out of the water with its cinematic ~30 FPS fidelity.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
The POM there is not shadowing from that light though? It may in the sun, but that scfreen shot does not have it coming from the spot light on the flash light.
Hm, Shadows are right and above the Stones, at the Center of the light are no shadows, thats not the sun or something it looks ok to me

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this awesome Special shaders that no other Game has. Especially these grown bricks look like something from the 360 era. King of graphics is the best overall package not just cutscenes. There are many games with better looking gameplay.
It's VFX_Veteran. He doesn't know what he's talking about but is adamant that people think he does.

That aside, game looks great, while running at 60fps. You know they cut corners to get it to run well but that's never a bad thing if it is done well.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm playing this on PC maxed out at 1440p with 150% res scaling and its hand down the best character models and animation I've ever seen. A huge step up over uncharted. Horizon etc. I do need to play metro though.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks aboutely 100% better than last year's Sony exclusives and about 200% better than Horizon which is already showing its age.

Dunno. I'm playing DMC5 as we speak. It looks excellent at 60fps. But Horizon, Spiderman and God of War were all much more impressive visually to me. Part of it might be their engines, but it doesn't help that DMC5 environments are very bland so far.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
User Warned: Console war rhetoric
Seems like OP just hypes up every high end mutliplatform game because he for some reason hates Sony.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
You can view the cutscene model characters in the gallery mode. The SSS really makes a difference. Hopefully if a SE version comes out for next gen consoles we can get those version of the models in game.

The cutscene models look so incredible. The hair is so impressive.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Definitely is a good looking game . Here's some pics I took on medium-low in game

ZQcpUOj.jpg

sZ1yyZL.jpg