• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't want my next DMC related thread to be a downer but this is important enough where it should be brought up so things can be rectified in time.

So with the announcement of the DMC HD collection for PS4/XB1/PC, people were curious as to how the games would perform on the new platforms as DMC3 never had a good PC port and DMC1 was never on PC. Fans were expecting these to be the definitive versions of the game however that seems to be looking less likely by the day.

This is a preview stream of DMC3 played on the PS4 version:

I have time stamped one of the visual bugs found which is that the Devil Triggered version of Cerberus does not have wings like it's supposed to. In addition there are sound bugs present in this version of DMC3 throughout which are obvious if you have played the game before extensively. This is probably on top of the Grapple attack move which was bugged in the previous HD collection (it actually does not function on the PS3 version) and we don't know if that is fixed or not. Note that the visual and sound bugs were NOT present on the previous HD collection which makes these new found bugs strange as this is a straight up port of the PS3 version of the game.

Today DMC1 was finally released for free for Twitch (after being delayed a week) and it can be played via the Twitch launcher for desktop. However, this version of the game has clear issues one of the bigger one being that on a higher framerate the game actually goes into super turbo mode!

Not only is the game speed messed up one different framerates and refresh rates but the sound is all sorts of messed up. The cutscenes don't sync up properly. This game was just put up on Twitch and more bugs are likely to be found soon. In addition DMC1 is not compatible with the DS4 natively, you still need a 3rd party program to enable it for the game.

I really hope Capcom (or whoever is working on the port, opening credits lists Neobards Entertainment) addresses these issues as soon as possible however the game is going to be released next week and unless there is an in the works patch to be released day 1 it seems unlikely. Remember that these games are going to be mere port ups from the PS3 version which for the most part worked quite well and were a great collection... this seems to be a step down.

The HD Collection releases on March 13th for PS4/XB1/PC.

NB4: "Capcom too busy working on DMCV to bother with ports of old DMC games."

Edit: DMC1 does not support resolutions above 1080P, it is safe to assume that the other games don't either.

More issues with DMC1 documented:

Cross-posting from the other thread:

I made a quick video showing a missing visual effect, and how weird the audio issues are. It's only from the very beginning of the game, but I assume it's true of the whole thing. Here's hoping they fix it, but honestly the issues are weird enough, that I'm not super hopeful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1GnqgRU3vI

There's a whole mess of sound effects in the opening area alone that are VASTLY lower quality than the PS2 version, on top of the whole wrong pitch / broken looping mess.

Analysis from top speedrunner of DMC1 :

Alright massive update incoming, thanks a lot to Lowhighkang (the DMC OG) for jotting down all the details of the DMC1 PC version.

These are impressions from a top DMC1 speed runner by the name of maxlobes. This is his twitch so you can watch his archives:

www.twitch.tv/maxylobes

Speedrunner on games such as DMC, Resident Evil 4 and 7, Silent Hil Series, DOT Hack series, F.E.A.R among others.

Holds World Record for DMC1 @ 39:16. Done on PS3 HD Collection (PSN Digital Download). Has speed run Devil May Cry 1 on Awesome Games Done Quick. Full time twitch streamer, has played and replayed DMC1 numerous times. Probably on average 3-5 times a week for the past year and a half.

Basically as far as game play and mechanics go, this guy knows his stuff when it comes to DMC1.

Comments and observations made on DMC1 PC HD ver., as a direct comparison to DMC1 PS3 HD ver.,

1. Game visually looks much better

2. Faster Load Times in and out of cutscenes.

3. Faster Load Times going in and out of menus. More Responsive menu interface

4. When opening the door, there is this blur zoom-in that occurs more akin to the PS2 version. Something he didn't notice as much or as prominently in the PS3 ver. Where it fades into black for room to room transitions.

5. Faster Load times from room to room.

6. The glitched ladder audio file in the PS3 version has been removed in the PC version. Before, because the load times were faster on PS3 versus PS2, the ladder step audio file would play well after Dante was off of the ladder and running around in the next room. (this occurred at the ladder right after you picked up the grenade launcher).

7. Commented on the stability of the framerate. Obviously he had the game capped at 60 fps.

8. You can't pause the game while you're locked on anymore.

9. Obtaining S ranks on certain missions, primarily mission 10 and 15 seemed it a bit more difficult. Ultimately S ranks were obtained. Suggests that it could be because enemy RNG patterns were bad luck and he took damage where he normally doesn't.

10. The sound effect and visual image of the fireball the skeleton dragon spits out is different. Commented that he feels this difference is for the better.

11. It was commented on somebody else that Nelo Angelo's summon sword sound effect has changed for the worse. Although this couldn't be confirmed, since Nelo Angelo was killed before he went into that phase.

12. The water looks clearer in underwater segments. And movement speed and overall responsiveness in underwater sequence is faster.

13. The Mirror World "haze animations and effects" are more noticeable.

14. The visuals in the underworld segment impressed him the most visually. He seemed very impressed with this area of the game.

Finished his 1st playthrough speedrun of DMC1 HD on PC at 40:17. Is confident that due to the integrity of the gameplay being a match with the added benefit of faster load times, in and out from cutscenes and in and out from menus, will likely allow him to break his previous held world record.

He was skipping the cutscenes, he would have no chance to observe anything there. He also didn't notice any changes to background music. Whether it's higher pitched or lower pitched. He also did not notice the lack of motion blur when firing Dante's guns. Nor did he comment on the change in sound from orb collection. Likely I feel – because it's hard to pick up on those things unless you have a back to back comparison. And to be honest, I didn't notice the lack of blur when Dante's fires his guns in the air either. Maybe it's because no other devil may cry game has that effect.

Personally, I'd like to comment two things. I think a lot of the improvements in visuals is simply due to higher pixel count. 720p to 1080p is a big difference. It's essentially PS3 gen to PS4 (base) gen in terms of target resolutions. I've seen Maxylobes speed run DMC1 before on PS3, and to see him hit the same jumps, attacks, beats and moments speaks well on how the integrity of the game matches from the PS3 port to the PC port (and likely to the PS4 and Xbox One port). To be honest, I'm more concerned on what was lost or gained from the PS2 version to the PS3 collection. But nobody streams DMC PS2 speed runs anymore.

He'll be doing a full 100% playthrough of DMC1 PC on March 10th. All secret missions, watching all cutscenes etc. etc., it'd be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
I still never got that pc port of 3 running perfectly. Super disappointing.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it, Capcom. The brand can't afford this kind of attention. The fuck are you thinking?

Dec 15, 2017
Fuck... this was my most awaited release of the year. Finally a way to play DMC classic natively on PC. And releasing on my birthday... Please don't screw this up Capcom.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit crapcom get your act together. Hopefully this means more sources/attention for dmcv since they are too focused on that to notice this. Maybe? Devil Maybe Cry HD collection.

Jan 11, 2018
How do you mess up this badly? At the very least you'd think they'd make sure that this was on par with the PS3/360 release? Not introduce new bugs and glitches.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
While i guess i feel less bad about keeping my PS3 version, this really sucks to hear. :/

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
The framerate issue cannot be fixed. The games code logic is tied to its 60 FPS release on PS2.

Playing the game at 30 fps will result in 1/2x game speed.

Playing the game at 120 fps will result in 2x game speed.

So it must be played at 60 fps. Shame about the 1080p cap though.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Itsuno: Capcom, our customers are sighing.
Capcom: Sigh? What is 'sigh'?

Seriously, I hope they take note and sort at least a few of these issues out before the official release. If not, we'd better hope the modding community is on it straight away. It's just disappointing since they had a perfect opportunity to make a good impression like they did with the vanilla DMC 4 release, which may be the best-handled Capcom port of all time. Given the hardcore community this series already has on PC, it would be a damn shame if these ports don't shape up.

Jan 11, 2018
This has me worried about the SF 30th Anniversary Collection...

Did the PS3/360 release have notable issues?

The OP mentions bugs and glitches present in the stream of the PS4 version that were not present in the PS3/360 release.

Do they? What re-releases in the past decade have been this bad?

Resident Evil Origins is 30 fps on consoles for no good reason. Capcom's excuse? "We wanted to preserve the original console experience". LOL.
I'd argue Dragon's Dogma should have been 60 fps too.
Mega Man Legacy Collection had to be patched quite a few times.

Jan 11, 2018
Eh. The DMC1 issue is a problem with the game's logic being tied to framerate, same as Street Fighter 5 on PC. As long as you're not trying to run the game at a 60hz refresh rate, you're going to be fine in that regard.

That's not at all what I meant. I'm talking about this:

Note that the visual and sound bugs were NOT present on the previous HD collection which makes these new found bugs strange as this is a straight up port of the PS3 version of the game.

It would be even more inexcusable to have a collection of arcade ROMs feature brand new bugs and glitches not present in the original games.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
When an incomplete emulator (PCSX2) provides arbitrary resolution support and better accuracy, you can't sink any lower.

Let's be thankful that the Okami port turned OK.

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
You can actually fix the game speed, if you're on NVIDIA you can just force V-Sync through Inspector

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
For God's sake. It's bad enough they're dumping a straight port of the PS3/360 version out there without any Pro/1X support or even spending an afternoon Photoshopping some new menu assets, but to fuck up the games themselves on top of that?

Really building that hype for DMCV, these guys."Before we announce the new game, let us show you what we think of the old ones!"

Jan 11, 2018
Let's be thankful that the Okami port turned OK.

Unlike RE Origins I'm totally fine with Okami HD being capped at 30 fps, since the evidence supports Capcom's claim that they'd have to spent far more time and effort into reprogramming the game logic for 60 fps than it's worth given the price they're asking for this release. Although the port is still kind of lazy in some ways. Yeah, I know it's not nice to throw that term around - but I don't know what else to call it when you add Touch Pad support to skip cutscenes and draw with the brush but can't be bothered to update the game to even mention it or show any new button prompts. The game basically still acts like you're playing it on a PS3.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I was so close to pre-ordering this today. Then I snapped out of it. I really want to revisit these games, but ehh....

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
That's disappointing. I guess it helps me with my choice of either DMC or Burnout Paradise next week.

I hope the issues get fixed though, and I'll buy it eventually. If not, I've got the PS3 collection to play instead.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe this is $30. Fortunately since it's Capcom I've found solace in knowing it should be $10 in a few months.

Oct 31, 2017
I really didn't want my next DMC related thread to be a downer but this is important enough where it should be brought up so things can be rectified in time.

So with the announcement of the DMC HD collection for PS4/XB1/PC, people were curious as to how the games would perform on the new platforms as DMC3 never had a good PC port and DMC1 was never on PC. Fans were expecting these to be the definitive versions of the game however that seems to be looking less likely by the day.

This is a preview stream of DMC3 played on the PS4 version:

I have time stamped one of the visual bugs found which is that the Devil Triggered version of Cerberus does not have wings like it's supposed to. In addition there are sound bugs present in this version of DMC3 throughout which are obvious if you have played the game before extensively. This is probably on top of the Grapple attack move which was bugged in the previous HD collection (it actually does not function on the PS3 version) and we don't know if that is fixed or not. Note that the visual and sound bugs were NOT present on the previous HD collection which makes these new found bugs strange as this is a straight up port of the PS3 version of the game.

Today DMC1 was finally released for free for Twitch (after being delayed a week) and it can be played via the Twitch launcher for desktop. However, this version of the game has clear issues one of the bigger one being that on a higher framerate the game actually goes into super turbo mode!

Not only is the game speed messed up one different framerates and refresh rates but the sound is all sorts of messed up. The cutscenes don't sync up properly. This game was just put up on Twitch and more bugs are likely to be found soon. In addition DMC1 is not compatible with the DS4 natively, you still need a 3rd party program to enable it for the game.

I really hope Capcom (or whoever is working on the port, opening credits lists Neobards Entertainment) addresses these issues as soon as possible however the game is going to be released next week and unless there is an in the works patch to be released day 1 it seems unlikely. Remember that these games are going to be mere port ups from the PS3 version which for the most part worked quite well and were a great collection... this seems to be a step down.

The HD Collection releases on March 13th for PS4/XB1/PC.

NB4: "Capcom too busy working on DMCV to bother with ports of old DMC games."

Edit: DMC1 does not support resolutions above 1080P, it is safe to assume that the other games don't either.

this games have been remastered and ported how many times now? how did they even manage to fuck up this bad?

Oct 25, 2017
Hope DMC3 is fixed since I was looking forward to having a good PC port finally. DMC1 runs on my PC atm though so hoping they figure out whats wrong for those with the double speed.

Oct 28, 2017
I had no doubts they were going to do the least effort just to make it run on current gen. I don't get why they didn't outsource the game to Bluepoint or other great dev for this king of job, such a wasted opportunity. And that's the reason why I'm skipping it, duck it all

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Why didn't these games get the full remake treatment like Shadow of Collosus or the Crash trilogy?

Who wants to play ugly looking PS2 games upscaled to HD in the year 2018?

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Wait, what's wrong with the ports? I can't watch the video but it looks like just a couple visual/audio bugs from the OP.
And people are saying they're unplayable?
Shouldn't the console versions be fine?

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
So I downloaded it and played through a couple missions. It has definitely not been done with much care. They just did a basic upscale for the the menus, text, FMVs, etc. The menus are still 4:3. The textures appear to have been run through some kind of upscaling filter to make them "HD" similar to the RE4 port. The game definitely runs too fast on my 144hz monitor and the resolution option maxes out at 1920x1080. Luckily, I was able to add the .exe to AMD's driver software and set a 60fps cap and it runs just fine. I also enabled Vsync, 4x MSSA, and 16x AF through a profile for the game and it it looks quite good aside from the somewhat wonky upscaling of the textures. Granted, I haven't played the game in probably a decade so I don't know how accurate it is to the PS2 version in terms of missing effects and such. Someone mentioned the sound is all over the place with compression on some sounds, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Wait, what's wrong with the ports? I can't watch the video but it looks like just a couple visual/audio bugs from the OP.
And people are saying they're unplayable?
Shouldn't the console versions be fine?

I followed the advice given above, and I haven't noticed any issues. But man, it takes a stronger rig than you think to get DMC1 running at a locked 60 fps with vsync enabled. Even just at 1080p.