• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
Interesting retrospective from TheGamingBritShow as he compares two best action games of 2013.

What's your take on these gems?

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Revengeance is still the action game king imho.
I need to replay that masterpiece cutting up people & stuff in 1000s of pieces is so enjoyable best stress relieve ever. Also senator armstrong kojima predicted trump 🤐

Slingles

Oct 29, 2017
South Wales
Never really got into the cutting mechanic, it always felt a little unintuitive, but I'm looking forward to trying again once the E3 workload calms down. Something about Revengence always brings me back

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
No need to watch.

Metal Gear Rising even destroys original DMC.

*Puts nanomacines shield on*

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
If I could get a MGS combat style game with DMVs visuals it would be perfect

MGS takes it for me though. Incredible gameplay

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Both did Amazingly well
The level design and overall look of DmC is vastly superior to the one on DMC5.

But i did enjoy Revengeance crazyness and combat just a bit more.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
They're both pretty fun, but MGR is a much more entertaining action game by virtue of the sheer amount of butt rock and camp to behold. DmC is really funny, and a lot more tonally consistent, but I'm really not in love with it, even though I did enjoy it.

DmC's art direction is in another league from even the mainline DMC series. The way levels break apart and dynamically shift still looks amazing. It's a shame it doesn't play as well as DMC5.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
He's a lot more fair than I thought he would be. Gotta say I agree with him though, on a purely gameplay basis, I would pic DmC over MGR as well.
His closing comments on MGR are pretty much how I feel about it. It's a great game when you consider how quickly they had to put it together and the limitations they had. But it's just not as fun to repeatedly go back to and really needed a sequel to flesh out the gameplay deeper.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
He's a lot more fair than I thought he would be. Gotta say I agree with him though, on a purely gameplay basis, I would pic DmC over MGR as well.
His closing comments on MGR are pretty much how I feel about it. It's a great game when you consider how quickly they had to put it together and the limitations they had. But it's just not as fun to repeatedly go back to and really needed a sequel to flesh out the gameplay deeper.

We need a Remaster or MGR along with MGR2.

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
I wish I could care about the Metal Gear world (besides Sanke's story) to actually play MGR:R :/

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
MGR by far. The game carries itself with it's sillyness, boss fights, soundtrack, and is pretty much a ''gamey-ass'' game.

I was suprised by it's quality given on how little time P* made the game.

What's also there to note is that MGR was a spin off of the main series, while DmC was a reboot of the genre that had the most complex combat system in action games.

Even if it was dumbed down massively it was still better then 99% of the competition. Vanilla DmC also doesn't do it any favors with it's 30 fps, no lock on, color coded enemies and many other things.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
MGR has one of the best boss fight lineups in action game history, that alone puts it a mile above DmC which had terrible bosses.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, these two don't even exist in the same universe. Revengeance by the widest of margins. Like galactic levels margins.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly enjoyed DmC more when I played them at launch. They're both great games, but the fact MGR just feels plain unfinished in its last half kills it for me a bit.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
DmC created the most accessable stylish action game control scheme ever. It was then never used again.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGR and not solely because of the gameplay.
Setpieces, bosses...general feeling of hype. I love this game

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Rising is one of the best games I ever played and has some of the best music in gaming.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Revengeance is an all time great action title. DmC is a failed reboot with good stage design but average combat and terrible characters.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
DmC: DE has "better" combat design than Revengeance...and Revengeance IS STILL MORE FUN TO PLAY.

That's how terrible everything else about DmC is. What I'd give for MGR2.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Never passed the first hour of MGR. It seemed like a mediocre experience.

DmC I enjoyed a great deal. Stylistically interesting, with smooth gameplay. I was disappointed when DMC5 was announced.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games are more than their gameplay and DmC's combat doesn't exist in a vacuum seperated from it's gross edgy bullshit

Even if MGR isn't as mechanically tight as DmC (Definitive edition DmC, lol at saying launch DmC holds a candle to anything), it's still a proper celebration of the series' cheese and absolutely brimming with love and care, and the sum of it's parts more than make this contest not even a fair fight.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Couldn't get into Revengeance combat, have tried a few times but just.. don't get the appeal. Raiden is cool af though.

Enjoyed DmC a lot, so will go with that one. I preferred it aesthetically (still, Raiden is cool af), along with the music and the overall gameplay and story.

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's a fantastic video; he nails it.

Neither game ranks very high for him compared to the other greats in the genre, he did a tier list recently.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
REVENGEANCE is the best game Platinum Games have produced, and one of the best action games ever made. It may not have the depth and complexity of Devil May Cry 3/4/5, but blade cancelling, parries and ZAN-DATSU give it it's own gameplay flow which is addictive and rewarding.

Jamie Christopherson did an amazing job on the soundtrack. Collective conscience has always stayed with me ever since it's release.

The VR missions can go fuck themselves.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2941529-raiden_vs_dante.jpg

Revengeance is one of the best while DmC is endless trash.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
REVENGEANCE is the best game Platinum Games have produced, and one of the best action games ever made. It may not have the depth and complexity of Devil May Cry 3/4/5, but blade cancelling, parries and ZAN-DATSU give it it's own gameplay flow which is addictive and rewarding.

The VR missions can go fuck themselves.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DmC has probably the better combat and mechanics
But who's to judge
The right from wrong
When our guard is down
I think we'll both agree
That violence breeds violence
BUT IN THE END IT HAS TO BE THIS WAYYYYYYYYY!!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of his points against MGR is exactly why fans still want a sequel to the game.

At a time when the only two "stylish action" games you had on the market were - or were at least following the example of - Bayonetta and Devil May Cry (and I guess Ninja Gaiden but at that point the franchise's footprint in modern game design had kind of dwindled), Metal Gear Rising provided an interesting and novel spin on the genre. I'd go as far as to say it basically precipitated some games like Sekiro thanks to the greater emphasis on parrying and precision.

If you're going to replay the games over and over, then yeah, DmC is probably the game you'll get more out of in terms of mechanical depth - but I have no real reason to go back to DmC in the first place when Capcom already have at least three games that are better versions of that game, whereas Metal Gear Rising provides me some unique thrills in spite of its rough-around-the-edges design. We'll probably never see it, but a remaster or sequel that fixes its inventory system would be a fantastic step in the right direction.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I enjoyed DmC but it isn't a game I am dying to go back to and replay, I've played through MGR about three times, trying to perfect my playstyle, practicing my parrying and speed running the game. MGR's combat just felt so satisfying once it clicks.

We'll probably never see a remaster or a sequel but I hope the team that worked on it someday work on a spiritual successor.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting comparison video. I played both games years ago, and haven't gone back to either since. I will admit that Revengeance stayed with me more than DmC did. (I should also admit that I didn't play the original DMC games until this year, and still haven't played V.)