• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
A
STRANGER
I
REMaIaIaIaIaIaIaIaIaIaIaIaIaIaIN

giphy.gif

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I still love Revengeance and replay it to this day. While DmC is my most regrettable purchase of last gen.

MGR offered something fresh and new, it created its own style that can't be found anywhere else. While almost everything I could praise about DmC I could also follow up with "but DMC3, 4 or 5" did better!

Last edited:

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I definitely enjoy DmC's core gameplay more than MGR. It looks crazy gorgeous and smooth on PC to boot.

But the story and characters are extremely awful and just chock full of ugliness, I immediately hit the skip button to avoid that crap.

MGR has its over-the-top characters and hype music and set-pieces nailed down.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
DMC had a bigger budget (and presumably more time?) which shows. I would still play MGR over it any day of the week, though. Much more heart and character in that game. It is ultimately a much better time in my opinion.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Revengeance vs DmC which is the worst game after DMC2... I'll take Revengeance.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
MGR has overall better combat but DmC has a lot of other things going for it other than just it's also really good combat. I like both but DmC is the better game.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
There seems to be a bit of a DmC re-evaluation going on. Tbf, the DE is maybe the most improved a game has ever been by a re-release.

DmC could have been a lot better if the boss fights really took advantage of that open, free-form battle system. It's why I prefer 5 (even as I secretly consider that DmC might be the better game..) because it has such a ridiculous scope for how you deal with some of the bosses. DmC's bosses are much more standard fare.

Which is the most important thing for me in a game like this and why I prefer Rising. It might be a much more linear fighting system than DmC but I think it had the most exciting boss fights of that generation

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
the video makes a fair comparisons, i think i still enjoy DmC alot more but i will admit MGR has it highs

still i do find MGR and series a good bossfights that are linked by not that intresting levels and some gameplay gimmicks that can get old

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say anything about DmC, as I'd never played it, but MGR was a damn fine game.

Crying shame that Sam was an extra mode. He felt so much better to play than Raiden. Also looked so much better in action, too...

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
DmC:DE - Better stages, weapons, story, combat, and regular enemy designs

MGR - Better bosses and I prefer the cheesy buttrock soundtrack over DmC's

Going to have to give it to DmC.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed MGR while I would call DmC a servicable action game (talking about vanilla version tho).
Bosses alone just obliterate DMC, especially the final boss.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, I think the video is on point. The whole blade mode gimmick is really cool but it just doesn't add much to the gameplay. DmC had an overall enjoyable moveset and I always liked the weapon switching with the triggers. On the Gameplay-side, I never found DmC all that bad.

But MGS:R was just soo much better on the spectacle front. The game is just full of memorable encounters, music, and goofy cutscenes. DmC, on the other hand, was either tryhard or really dragging. Bob Barbas was the clear highlight and the Limbo chase-scenes were visually cool. The rest... eh.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
MGR is possibly the most quotable game of all-time, and that's extra impressive considering the stiff competition within its own series—Metal Gear.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
That was a pretty in depth analysis about the two games and is cool that he got over his initial bias against DmC which was pretty annoying (I mean, I haven't even played the game but he sounded like most fanboys in the internet).

I wish he would make one of these for The Wonderful 101, preferably if the Switch version eventually happens.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
DmC is a solid action game but not very memorable at all (and even then for the wrong reasons unfortunately).

MGR has so many fucking memorable, hilarious and badass moments that it'll stay in my mind forever. One of my favourite games of the last gen. It's so sad we won't get a sequel (not even a remaster at this rate).

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
So much respect to this guy for actually giving both games a fair shot.

DmC suffered so much bandwagon hate, yet it actually turned out to be the better game.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
In spite of MGR horribly stale art direction through the levels, it still had more epic moments than DmC in the bosses alone, that's for sure. DmC is a good game too though.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Both are great games, but I think about DmC a lot more, it stuck with me as one of my fave games of last gen

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: You like DmC because the skill ceiling is lower, allowing you to do cool shit and get high ranks without putting too much effort into it.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
Put together, neither of these dopey wank fests still have combat that come close to Bujingai.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Neither are particularly great, but his take is valid. DmC has better mechanics overall, but Revengeance has better enemies, boss fights and game feel.

Personally I'd actually replay revengeance. But neither were as good as actual best action game of 2013 The Wonderful 101.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I wish i could be fair to DmC,but i just can't. I don't understand how anyone would want to play with the asshole that is the protagonist of it. is not even funny ironically,its just cringy. I think the game is fine for what it is, just really ugly and really stupid storywise.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Revengeance is one of those games that surprised me in how much I enjoyed it. I was air-guitaring for at least a month after I finished it. I pray for a remastered one day - that would be another dream come true. Some of the sickest boss battles I've ever played.

2b0.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmzay5oAwOM

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
From action game fans? Not really. It's the people who don't normally deep dive these games that super love Revengeance for its batshitness. But the Wonderful 101 is even more absurd lol

The game just has more of a learning curve because of the control scheme, but that's a big time example of a game that gets better on multiple playthroughs.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The Wonderful 101 just needs a port to better hardware that hits a more consistent framerate to be the winner here. Despite the gimmicky minigames interrupting the flow at certain points (a Kamiya staple), the core combat loop of that game is so satisfying once you finally get the hang of it. Granted it does take until a replay to shine just because it doesn't give you everything until then, but that's par for the course.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both pale in comparison to the pinnacle of action games released in 2013, The Wonderful 101

May 15, 2019
I agree with a lot of what he says, but what really keeps me away from DmC is the controls. My muscle memory from the classic series just kicks in constantly. The worst is when I try to jump cancel out of an angel weapon attack, but because I'm holding the angel trigger and hit jump I do that glide instead. I don't understand why they couldn't have just kept the classic weapon switching where you cycle through weapons with each press, nobody needs to be holding a trigger just to remember what they have equipped.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Hot take: You like DmC because the skill ceiling is lower, allowing you to do cool shit and get high ranks without putting too much effort into it.
Hot take indeed since MGR is the easier game due to the parrying system and being able to carry 10+ healing items lol. You're pretty much unkillable in MGR when you figure that if you tilt the sticks forward each time you attack it'll let you parry 99% of the attacks from pretty much any direction.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So much respect to this guy for actually giving both games a fair shot.

DmC suffered so much bandwagon hate, yet it actually turned out to be the better game.

GamingBrit spews a lot of hottakes but when it comes to action games those hottakes are coming from actually sound evaluation and critiques. But in the essence of youtube, everything has to be edgy otherwise nobody will watch the video. But he's always been able to back up what he says when it comes to action games.

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Rising was a transformative experience for me. I still think about it all the time.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Revengeance has some of the most memorable characters, funniest lines of dialogue, and thrilling set-pieces/boss battles that have ever graced an action game, oh and perhaps the greatest video game soundtrack of all time

DmC has a tone and characters that I cannot fucking stand while suffering the misfortune of standing in the shadow of THE character action genre, with an overrated art-style that is too washed out and murky for my tastes

It's no contest

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
One of them is a bad game and the other is the best game in its series. Revengeance would have been the worst game I played that year if not for the garbage that was Wonderful 101. DmC is an amazing game that I replay all the time. No contest.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I just learned DmC has mods, and that apparently DE wasn't needed. But DE has difficulty increases which seemingly no mod can do. I shall try these mods later. Hope there are graphic mods. This game runs so smooth at 144fps, seemingly effortlessly too.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
DmC suffers a lot of hate despite being one of the best games of its genre. Just a shade below the Bayonetta games and DMC3 for me.

Revengeance is great too but I'd pick DmC ahead of it.