• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
While mechanicly DmC is actually pretty good, I just don't care for the game as a whole. The game felt a bit too edgy and just did not click with me.

Honestly, the Wonderful 101 is a better game (while flawed) and the same goes for Metal Gear Rising, but good lord that game is absolutely insane. I have replayed it just recently and while the game has a few rough edges, its still so fun to play. Parrying is tough, but managable.

And its completely insane. There are guys yelling THE MEMES JACK, Nano machines son and what not. They made Raiden cool. You fuck up Metal Gears.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGR all the way for me. I enjoyed DmC, but no where near as much as Revengeance. It just had the best action, the best set pieces, better dialogue, better music, and way more damn hype.

Also, I felt better pulling off cool things in MGR during combat since it actually took some semblance of skill to go on the defensive and offensive in that game.

Where as DmC just felt like it didn't really matter how you killed enemies since you could just mash away and not worry about anything other than getting the colors right... then they did away with that and made it even easier. It felt like it was about as easy as a Koei Tecmo Musou game.

Last edited:

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
MGR had balling music
DmC had shit music except for like one song by Christchurch where you got the Devil Arms

All i needed really

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
GamingBrit spews a lot of hottakes but when it comes to action games those hottakes are coming from actually sound evaluation and critiques. But in the essence of youtube, everything has to be edgy otherwise nobody will watch the video. But he's always been able to back up what he says when it comes to action games.
Oh yeah dude, so many dismiss him specifically because of the edge, yet that's what makes him so great. No matter how much you want to punch him in the face, he's still probably correct.

I still refer to his Ratchet 2016 PS4 video as the gospel truth of why that game was an abysmal failure for longtime Ratchet fans. Thorough analysis like that is where most modern reviews are severely lacking.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
(IMO) Revengence felt more like a DMC game than DmC....

Especially the soundtrack, that shit CRAAZAY

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Revengence felt more like a DMC game than DmC....
That's just total nonsense. MGR has such a limited combo/juggle system, and you can't even swap weapons mid-fight. It's also filled with context-sensitive/QTE bullshit during combat, which the actually western-made DmC isn't. Revengeance is many things, but it doesn't feel like a DMC game at all. Nevermind that the higher difficulties all revolve around parrying, with not really much else to do since enemies die nearly immediately. It's just a different game.

DmC is a more accessible take on the genre, but it absolutely feels like a DMC game.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Revengeance has bad level design, some uneven side missions with civilians, a bad secondary weapon system and some other stuff that wasn't really fine tuned.

I get that the game was made on a shoestring budget and within a tight window, Platinum still delivered a fun romp. But a Revengeance 2 with given te proper time and budget could've been so much more. Sadly this day will never come. Thanks Konami.

DmC Definitive is good, but vanilla was kind of woeful. Especially on the consoles.

Last edited:

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I like DmC. There are some really great things about it to be honest, as much as I do love regular DMC.

But Revengance is in a whole other league of it's own. That game is transcendent.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Revengeance gave me senator Armstrong. DmC gave me shitty homophobic jokes from the creators and a FUCK YOU meme.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
One of them is a bad game and the other is the best game in its series. Revengeance would have been the worst game I played that year if not for the garbage that was Wonderful 101. DmC is an amazing game that I replay all the time. No contest.

going to use this as Exhibit A in my appeal to the admins as to why terrible opinions should be a bannable offense

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
For me, if you compare gameplay, tone, aesthetic and the sheer visceral joy of controlling the player character, MGR is better.

MGR had a unique playstyle that innovated within the genre. It respected the legacy of its parent series while it diled the crazy up to eleven - an appropriate choice given the tone of other Japanese action games. It gave us a cast of memorable characters and quotable dialogue. I particularly love how the opening level sets up your dynamic with Jetstream Sam - and forces you to suffer a helpless defeat. Bosses are varied and engaging. Some of the scenarios are insane - flying up the side of a building on a drone, fighting building sized bipedal robots dueling a cyborg samurai desperado in the desert. Other more commonplace scenarios are just plain engaging - like being ambushed by a group of enemies in the dark. The soundtrack is legendary - the multilayered buildup is seen all over the industry now but felt novel at the time.

My main criticism of MGR is that S ranking demands no damage. This is a slightly dull requirement because it means that the player cannot compensate damage taken by playing extra well otherwise. Iirc, you had to quit out to the menu a lot to abuse the checkpoint system.

On its own merits DmC is fine. I'd put it on about the same level as Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - a mechanically sound action game with a strong aesthetic. The aesthetic is indeed nice, particularly the limbo sequences, but these aspects arent core to my enjoyment of a game. The tone is embarrassing. It's like a joke that doesn't land. It's like one of those over-serious summer action flicks that's forgotten the minute it's out of the box office.

My main issue with DmC though is that it doesn't meaningfully engage the player with its combat. That's primarily due to being undemanding mechanically but I get the feeling that there's a whole lot of secret sauce that goes into these character action games that's harder to put your finger on. I'm talking about the things like animations, enemy design and scenario design that pull together to give the player a sense of visceral badassness that makes the experience one of sheer joy rather than some dodge and whack a mole blahness.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Do you even need to make a video comparing them? One was an innovative game with a slash mechanic which allowed you to chop your enemies "brunoise" style, have one of the best ost so nicely integrated that it matches your actions in-game and a boss lineup several games could envy, while the other one is a spinoff of a slash em up series that feels to me like a french fry refried over and over in the same oil for years, but now it has ketchup on top.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
As a very casual character action fan, I much preferred DmC. I was immediately having fun when I picked up DmC but the mechanics in Rising never really clicked with me. The level and enemy design felt pretty lacking in comparison too. The writing may have been... what it was... in DmC but I was still more interested in that world by a long shot. And I quite enjoyed killing enemies to Combichrist. Not saying Rising was a bad game but it definitely wasn't for me.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Played both back in the day. I remember the Jetstream Sam fight, the Senator, Monsoon to this day. I only remember the horrible color coded enemies from DmC, baby-killing Vergil and « my dick is bigger ». Thank god for DMCV

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
People should REALLY watch the video
We get it. It's a fair comparison that looks more favourably on DmC in the modern climate.

But individuals can still have their own tastes and preferences. I applaud what DmC did right, and I appreciate the fact that they were "handicapped" at the time by trying to reboot a beloved franchise. I can also accept that MGR might be harder to go back to, and that it was limited by some development issues. But I'm still gonna say I hands-down prefer MGR, whether 6 years later or 60.

For one thing, MGR handles the "edgy side of cool" with so much more panache. DmC is the game equivalent of a rebelling teenager; thinking it's smart and cool, hiding how tough it is behind how cool it is, while giving the middle finger to the man and disrespecting its elders. It's just too much for my liking.

Edit:
Can't say anything about DmC, as I'd never played it, but MGR was a damn fine game.

Crying shame that Sam was an extra mode. He felt so much better to play than Raiden. Also looked so much better in action, too...

My god... I'd forgotten how awesome Sam is to play. This video shows some real talent! (Great music, too.)

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
We get it. It's a fair comparison that looks more favourably on DmC in the modern climate.

But individuals can still have their own tastes and preferences. I applaud what DmC did right, and I appreciate the fact that they were "handicapped" at the time by trying to reboot a beloved franchise. I can also accept that MGR might be harder to go back to, and that it was limited by some development issues. But I'm still gonna say I hands-down prefer MGR, whether 6 years later or 60.

For one thing, MGR handles the "edgy side of cool" with so much more panache. DmC is the game equivalent of a rebelling teenager; thinking it's smart and cool, hiding how tough it is behind how cool it is, while giving the middle finger to the man and disrespecting its elders. It's just too much for my liking.

That's fair, i'm more referring to the obvious posts that see the title and nothing else. I'm always a fan of "I don't like X thing because of Y" vs "X is bad" and that's the whole post.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Agree with pretty much everything here. DmC has a worse reputation that it really deserves, and does do some things legitimately very well. MGR, despite having incredible strengths like the soundtrack and the boss fights, is a flawed game that really needed a sequel to flesh it out. However, I still think of MGR more fondly overall.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It reminds me of DmC Dante's dumb hair style.

I usually didn't care/tolerate these things, but...

Dumb.

Oct 28, 2017
DmC's story and overall tone completely repulsed me. I get that it does some things well and many of the gameplay gripes people had were fixed in the definitive edition. But everything about the characters and how they're presented is just embarrassing.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched this video earlier today and I completely agree with everything it says, specially regarding the gameplay comparisons. I think that MG:R gets its' praise from the casual players of the genre, while DmC gets all its' hate from the hardcore fans. MG:R is a gift and everything it does thus needs to be valued, while DmC felt like a punishment to teh fans and it was measured by where it felt short of DMC3/4. However, if you put both side to side, DmC is the better stylish action game and the one I´ve revisited more and remember more fondly than MG:R. I do understand that those who're not fans of the genre may enjoy MG:R more, but as a stylish action game it has always felt a bit bland to me.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
DmC: definitive edition is my favourite game in the whole DMC series. The hate this game gets is undeserved.

While MGR is great, I've only played through it twice and that was enough for me. DmC I've played through many times and platinumed.