• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Update: CONFIRMED!

====
inCollage_20180821_100353396.jpg

According to a French outlet, one of the Capcom PRs at Gamescom has confirmed the fact that DMC5 does indeed take place after DMC2.

HB75O8e.png

Watch the videos in this link: (it's in French)
https://www.actugaming.net/week-pla...lle-devil-may-cry-v-et-bilan-gamescom-161258/

This is not all tho. Yesterday on tweeter DMC5 producer Matt Walker also hinted/teased the fact that DMC5 might actually be set after DMC2:

This isn't the first time that the dev team has teased the fact that DMC5 might be set after DMC2.

Last month in an interview with Dengeki Online, they said that there is a reason for Dante having a beard now beyond just getting older. (after DMC2, Dante is trapped in hell, so that could be a very good reason for not having any time to shave.

They've also confirmed in an earlier Famitsu interview, that at the beginning of DMC5 Dante has been MIA for a while. (Trapped in hell maybe?)

From Dante's short appearance in the E3 and now GC trailers, fans have also pointed a few things out that could allude to DMC5 being set after DMC2:
  • Dante's hair and entire look being much closer to his DMC2 self (first pic in the OP)
  • Dante's motorcycle
  • Dante's coat and clothing being burned and looking very worn out
  • The scenery of a ruined city with a lot of destroyed skyscrapers being very close to DMC2's city.
With all these signs pointing at DMC5 being set after DMC2, it seems like we can finally move the timeline forward once again instead of just ignoring and pushing DMC2 back.

We are set to get more Dante info in less than a month at TGS so maybe (hopefully) they can fully confirm this at that event? Or maybe we get lucky and Matt sees this thread and gives us a simple "yep" on twitter haha.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much older Nero also looks, this shouldn't really surprise anyone.

It's also probably why they're fridging Kyrie. Can't have the waifu show any signs of aging or Japan might riot.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally no more prequel and interquel bullshit (even though it gave us the two best games in the series).

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the conclusion to the Sons of Sparda story, then it has to be set after DMC2.
At least, that was my thought process.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I've thought as much considering the very first bit of Dante we see is him riding on screen with a motorcycle, which is basically the reverse of DMC2's ending.

Glad they're finally moving past that, though.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dante is really OP in 2. Just toys with one of Sprada's rivals

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I mean .. they might as well completely wipe out and pretend DMC2 didn't exist and I'll be A-OK with that.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wasn't this know since the first trailer showed Dante with his DMC2 look triumphantly returning from Hell on a motorcycle?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017

I thought they were going to set it after 2 but not acknowledge it, actually saying it does give me hope she'll at least get a reference.

Her being playable is probably too much to ask for if Vergil, Trish and Lady are already DLC.

Wasn't this know since the first trailer showed Dante with his DMC2 look triumphantly returning from Hell on a motorcycle?

It was the common perception, but it wasn't known if they were going to actually acknowledge it and finally get past it or just hint at it being the case to keep 2 at a distance.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Number 2 should just be considered a dream Dante had after eating too much pizza just before going to bed.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
The more confirmation of this the better. It's what I've been waiting for since the moment I finished 2.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Will he be as serious and mute as DMC2 Dante tho ?
"Dante was missing his brother and decided to role play as Vergil during the events of DMC2"
Dante is really OP in 2. Just toys with one of Sprada's rivals
They actually wanted to give Dante the Majin DT form in DMC4, but as we all know they had to scrap a lot of ideas to hit the release date. Itsuno loves Majin DT tho, so I fully expect DMC5 Dante to have that in some way or shape (obv not as OP as it was in DMC2)

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Capcom hasn't outright remake 2 from the ground up to better fit with the story's canon.

That way people wouldn't be so confused.

Oct 25, 2017
so something I want to recall correctly , DMC4 is set a few years after DMC1 , and I guess they said DMCV is set a few years after DMC4 , but at the same time they said DMC2 is set in the FAR future

So , Is there anything there that isn't totally right or is based on a myth ?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Finally confirmed because it would not be a real sequel but another stuffed filler with many plothole pretexts. The time lapse and chnage in character ages has to eb after DMC2. This is the true sequel I wnated not anotehr filler.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought of it as a sequel to 4 but set after 2. There isn't exactly many story hooks left open in 2.