• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

28678279485_ec8939d561_b.jpg

C7qFOh3VAAMmFm8.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

devil-may-cry-dante.gif

ac0a3e74df20c096a3e34317d44ede8e.gif

25dfb61c60297d650dc509c6aceb3406.gif

C9-paP3VoAAFP75.jpg

GOAT gameplay.
GOAT characters.
GOAT soundtrack.
GOAT memes (the DNA of the soul!).
GOAT graphics.
GOAT return.

Truly it was like heaven shined upon us for a brief moment in time.
Bless you Itsuno-sama.
e20.jpg

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
DMCV truly was an experience. I was fine with DMC4 when I played it years ago, never got passed the first few levels of DmC, but V is just a great game to play with all 3 characters.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
It's an excellent game. Not the most exciting or groundbreaking but it is absolutely the game the series needed at the time. I love it dearly.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I felt it was a very safe DMC game, even if it was peak gameplay for the series. Still, it was nice seeing the classic characters come back. I hope the series will make some big changes going forward.

I wish DmC got a sequel, which almost happened, but oh well.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
first levels were great but I got bored when each level after the first 3 turned into ruined buildings or hellish red rooms.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Going from 2 to 3 was FAAAAAAR more triumphant.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Literally nothing to add. This game is a masterpiece. 10/10 and everyone saying the opposite are wrong.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The combat is great and the story seems like a love letter to the franchise, but man do the levels seem bland as fuck.

It was either ¨destroyed city¨ or ¨hellish pit¨

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It is competently made, but the level design and environmental art direction is bad. V is also not fun to play. Don't think the bosses are anything special outside of the flying one/Cavaliere Angelo/Vergil either.

It's like a solid 6/10 maybe.

I think I even enjoyed Bayonetta 2 and MGR more than this one.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
In my opinion there's a long list of character action games that feel much better to play than DMCV including:

• DmC:SE
  • DMC3
  • DMC4
  • Bayonetta 1 & 2
  • Metal Gear Rising
Don't get me wrong it's a good game and some people value the story elements of these games much more than I do.

But as a character action game I'd consider it merely above average and bettered by many in the same series.

Last edited:

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
It was good, I enjoyed it. Disliked the other half of the game

Didn't like the level design later in the game

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I thought it was pretty disappointing, and aside from some great combat moments, was quite forgettable.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Massively disappointed in it. Personally a huge step back from DmC and the fact that Langden was still involved even with the knowledge of all his shit will forever stain the game.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
This video continues to be the single coolest bit of video game combat ever executed. DMC5 is truly a GOAT.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I started Dmc1 a few days ago. It will be really interesting to see the entire series in contrast to 5 when I finally come to it.

I hope there is some kind of castle to explore in 5. First thing I was happy with in 1 when I realized how similar the start is to the castle exploration in 4.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
GOAT gameplay.
GOAT characters.
GOAT soundtrack.
GOAT memes (the DNA of the soul!).
GOAT graphics.
GOAT return.

See in my opinion of a character action game the most important factor is #1 in this list followed by #2, #3 and #5.

For me DMCV was mostly unsuccessful in all of these except for graphics.

As others have mentioned I just find it to be forgettable.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I liked DMC5 quite a bit, certainly better than 4 by a long shot. Just wished we had gotten some more environmental variety. Great visual flex for RE engine though. Seeing a game that looked that good running that smooth even on last gen consoles was super impressive

I really should check out the new version with Vergil added

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Massively disappointed in it. Personally a huge step back from DmC and the fact that Langden was still involved even with the knowledge of all his shit will forever stain the game.
Eh, NT had the weird blatant homophobia tied to DmC too. Langdon's a prick with shitty politics, but it's not like a return to that studio would make the series somehow politically unblemished.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
The memes are frankly some of the worst things about it. That stupid dance meme.

Great to have DMCV though, obviously!

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
It was definitely a good game and a triumphent return based on finanicals but i found the story really dissapointing and even gameplaywise after 150 hours or so i saw myself going back to DMC 4 despite all of it's shit levels, puzzles and the annoying savior boss.
The enemies are too passive and too spongey in V. In 4 you have a really cool roster that in combination with each other makes for quite thrilling combat encounters. Mephistos with Chimeras or Frosts were dope, the Nelo Angelos had crazy synergy with one another and V lacks this. The bloody palace only gets mildly interesting at Stage 70 and i found the lack of inertia and general momentum a large step back to the fourth game.
I am much better with this Dantes Kit than with his in 4 but each weapon there can have really specific purposes while in V many of them act like large beatsticks.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
One and done. DMC was the GOAT.

I like how we never, ever get explanations for why. The only person who ever bothered explaining why was Crossing Eden.

It's always drive-bys.

Anyway, the modern version of DMC3:SE (with real-time style switching) is the pinnacle of the franchise, but 5 is definitely in the top 3.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Some of the takes in this thread are truly wild. Who are all of these people that give a shit about level design in a DMC game? Literally the reason to play DMC is for the characters and the combat. DMC5 excelled at both. Could Lady and Trish have been given more to do? Absolutely, and I hope they get more focus whenever they do DMC6 (fully playable please?), but what we got for everyone else was excellent.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
It's the best DMC by a wide margin in everything except for level design, which really hurts it in my eyes.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
They made a great combo simulator and forgot about the rest, in the end it's a very mediocre game imo. DMC 1 still the best by far.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I'm curious about the 'bad gameplay' comments tbh. Where are they coming from?

I know there's some stuff in 5 which is a little limiting compared to 4 when you can't implement inertia anymore, unless you jerry rig it together with some cheat engine stuff on PC. But calling the gameplay in it flat out bad is what I don't really get tbh, unless it's about V's gameplay

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
I have some complaints when comparing the physics of DMC5 to DMC4's physics and V's gameplay, but other than that I still love the game. The environmental design of the tree levels weren't all that, but it definitely didn't bring down the entire experience for me like it did with other people. I really liked the devil breakers they gave Nero, the weapons Dante has and Vergil in DMC5SE is the best version of the character I think. I'm also glad that they got rid of puzzles in favor of a no bs non stop action campaign.

It was a great return for the series. I just hope moving forward they:

- make more aggressive enemies
- make the physics similar to DMC4's
- give Nero on the fly devil breaker switching
- recast Dante's voice actor
- story wise move beyond Sparda and introduce new characters/villains

Now's time for that 6+ year wait...here we go again lol.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I got it, it was fun. Didn't really feel all that revelatory. Feels like most people who rave about it are big combo-video types who play it like a fighting game tho and I never engage with dmc games at that level.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I ended up loving DmC:SE, but bounced off hard from V. I just never liked the combat, and all the red rooms were just kind of meh after a short while.

Looking forward to what they do next to improve.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It was a great return but they could do a lot more to improve, especially with level art and design. Also never do another V. It just doesn't feel nearly as good to play.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
As a huge DMC fan, I will admit that the level design in 5 was its weakest point and was fairly weak. That said, everything else is probably the best version you are going to get (with exception of the lack of Beowulf and Cerberus for Dante as Devil Arms).

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Keep forgetting I'm in Well-Actually City and people will defend to the death the failed reboot for reasons beyond my comprehension.