• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
As an American who doesn't generally doesn't wear shoes in the house. I also have a pair of slip on shoes that I do wear in the house on occasion, but never wear them outside. Since they're never worn outside, the don't get dirty.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Germophobes gonna germophobe. I take my shoes off when I get inside for the sake of comfort, but if not for this forum and the one before it I would never have considered the notion of it being because of germs or whatever. People who want to keep new floors or carpets clean and free of footprints or whatever I understand, but the notion of not wearing shoes being a health issue is nonsense and paranoia. I also enjoy the anti-shoe weirdos assuming that people who do wear shoes indoors just never take them off no matter what. Like someone who wears shoes inside would just track mud all through the place because they're as dogmatic about wearing shoes inside as the non-shoe people are about not wearing them. It's a weird, weird hangup.

Yup. I take my shoes off when I get home because not having shoes on is comfortable. But the idea that not doing so is completely fucking disgusting is laughably outrageous hyperbole. I also know for a fact that my dad keeps his shoes in his bedroom, so he could have them on after getting home for hours if he's doing something in the kitchen or whatever. I also know he's classy as fuck and has a beautiful house, so if someone told me he was a gross savage just due to not immediately taking off his shoes when he gets home, I would say that person is a fucking idiot.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
TV makes it seem like all Americans wear shoes in their homes, but based on these threads it seems only some do. Which makes a lot more sense, obviously.

I don't get why anyone would, though, to be honest. It's pretty disgusting given what you potentially step on in a day. Wearing shoes all the time also isn't comfortable, nor is it good for keeping a house clean.

My family never wore shoes in the house and I don't really know anyone who does, outside of my grandparents sometimes, but they have indoor shoes because of orthotics. It's a common courtesy to take them off, and I hate when the house has just been cleaned and someone will come to the door, then walk all over the floors with their dirty shoes instead of taking them off.

Me? I used to wear socks all the time, while at home. Now I usually just go barefoot. Saves laundry.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a consistent "American culture" that universally dictates you take your shoes off or keep them on. Seems to be pretty split. Some neighborhoods are cleaner, or perceived to be cleaner, than others. Some houses have entryways that prompt people to take off their shoes and put them in a specific spot. Some families may come from a culture that generally has a consistent opinion on the question. Some families have people going in and out of the house all the time for whatever projects or chores they have going on. Personally, I've seen more people taking off their shoes than leaving them on, and those who do keep them on seem to be rural people who work with their hands. Seeing the state of public restrooms alone puts me on the "take them off" side, except in special circumstances. Would be interested to see solid polling on this.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate it when people tell me that there's a no shoe rule for their house. I abide by it, of course, but chances are I'm not coming over ever again lol.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Unless I have dog shit or mud on the bottom of my shoes/boots I tend to keep them on. I'll take them off at other people's houses if they ask.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Shoes go off unless its a big house party because we clean the whole house after one of those anyways.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I have a pair of flip-flops that I wear inside. It bothers me that I have to tell literally every guest in my house to take off their shoes.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Where is the OP from?

Last year, a colleague from France came to Argentina and was asked to keep his shoes off in the apartment he rented, which had new, clear carpets. He took it for granted as a local custom and was eventually very confused when I told him that it was extremely unusual and that he could keep his shoes on when visiting my own house.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
Do people that are mostly shoes off in the house have pets that come inside? If so, do you have some kind of socks you put on them?

This is ridiculous and I know it, but it makes me feel better. I let my dogs out through the basement door. Before they come up I have them run around the fucked up carpet down there to kinda wipe their feet off. Then I let them upstairs.

Nov 3, 2017
I always thought wearing shoes indoors was a white people thing. At least in my life, the only people I know who do it are my white friends

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, it might be a white person thing tho. You better take your shoes off at the entrance of my apartment otherwise get out.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak for Americans but I've been in many homes across Canada and no one ever wears shoes in the house. Sure you might wear them if you're just stepping in for a minute or about to leave and forgot to grab somthing. But the whole wearing shoes all day while at home is fucked up, dirty ass floors? No thanks... How do you people deal with the foot and shoe odor that probably comes along with that? Gross.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I have yardwork/hiking shoes that I always take off, and office/indoor shoes that I'll take off if the house is clean, otherwise no. Germs? Don't touch your feet or the floor and touch your eyes, ears, or nose. Wash your hands before you eat. Not complicated.

I don't understand the germ phobia. Fecal matter and urine will splatter near the toilet. It's getting on your feet. Wash your hands.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the UK, it very much depends on how I feel. Sometimes I will once I get into my room other times I'll leave them on until I'm getting comfy in bed or on my chair. At a guests house I will never take them off, arguments would start if you tried to make me.

Guests aren't allowed to take them off at my house either.

Oct 25, 2017
People who leave shoes on probably already have pretty dirty houses, so tracking more dirt inside is probably not a big deal.
Why say something this condescending? So because I don't always take my shoes off or ask my guests to (their choice), I suddenly don't clean anything. Dishes, bathroom, kitchen. All dirty all the time. I heart dirt.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't taken my shoes off for the past two weeks, when I last showered. I don't see the need to ever remove them from my body? the floor hurts without them on, and I honestly can't get to sleep without them

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Portuguese, no one does this here. The floor is cold man.

I've done this too when waking up real early in the morning.

As a fellow Portuguese, I honestly don't know anyone who wears shoes indoors. In social gatherings? Sure, you normally wear shoes - and even then there are some exceptions. At home, though? I genuinely don't know anyone who does that. Slippers, yes. Shoes? No.

And sleeping with your shoes on? Whaaaat?

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is an urban legend. We take our shoes off at the door. Exceptions are dinner parties, because that would be weird.

Nov 15, 2017
Skövde
I've always thought that shoes were meant to keep dirt and harmful stuff from coming in direct contact with ones' feet in an uncontrollable environment. Ones' home is not an uncontrollable environment, so - what gives?

Wearing shoes inside a home derails my understanding of the function of shoes - is there an alternative function shoes have?

Oct 25, 2017
Why say something this condescending? So because I don't always take my shoes off or ask my guests to (their choice), I suddenly don't clean anything. Dishes, bathroom, kitchen. All dirty all the time. I heart dirt.

Haha, just kidding.

I think its based on where you live and what you're stepping on.

I live in Canada. I have never once casually walked in the home with shoes on. There is dirt, mud, wet for the snow, etc. Do people just walk on carpet with this shit on?

But if you live in California, weather is nice most of the time, so I doubt your shoes would gather much that could be transferred.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I was raised to not wear shoes inside a home (Muslim). I noticed that it was very common on TV though. I thought it was a white cultural thing until I visited my white friend's house, where the rules were the same as in mine. We are Canadian, however.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I was raised to not wear shoes inside a home (Muslim). I noticed that it was very common on TV though. I thought it was a white cultural thing until I visited my white friend's house, where the rules were the same as in mine. We are Canadian, however.

Taking shoes off would be a distraction in most film.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
In Ireland, and I imagine most places, it is dependent on the individual. I leave my shoes on cause I am always in and out of the house, the tiles are cold, and I hate walking into a kitchen or bathroom that may have traces of water on the floor which could get on my socks.

Of course if I'm lying down playing Xbox or sitting down watching a movie I'll take them off, but if I'm just sitting doing college work or eating I'll leave them on cause during the day I'll probably be leaving the house again. What is so dirty about Audi carpet or university tiles or coffeeshop floors that isn't already on my kitchen floor? Lol.

I don't understand why people get so mad at people who leave their shoes on or vise versa. Baffles my brain.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, we all leave our shoes on and usually like to walk in some dog poop before as well. First thing to note is it does not really matter if we leave them on as none of us can see our feet since we are so obese. Also keeping our shoes on means our toes will not get broken when the guns drop from their holsters which they tend to do from time to time. Probably the biggest challenge is it is hard to find shoes that match our American Flag t-shirts, but it is possible.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dude, America is big. With lots of different people in it that all have different opinions about wearing shoes indoors.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I even wear shoes into the shower at times, it's nice to get the bottom cleaned out. I don't do it often, but once a month or so.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yea y'all fuckin walk inside of public bathrooms pissing at urinals whose floors are sprayed with the piss of dozens maybe hundreds, and then you walk in the same shoes inside of your own home? your own home where you might drop a cheeto on the floor and then five-second rule eat it? this plus americans not washing their asses with water after shitting, people can be so outstandingly disgusting.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Sorry to break it to you, your culture is not the only one in the world. Im not american, but im fine if americans wear shoes in the house. You may as well ask why americans do not speak koreans, or thai, or hindi.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
It not that weird imo, unless they're coming from some mud festival they're welcome to keep their shoes on when coming into my house, when visiting friends and family I've rarely been asked to take my shoes off when entering someone's house.

The norm there might be different somewhere else.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i heard recently that it is a thing that people in America wear shoes inside the house.

I find it a little weird. if its true, why not? Wouldn't it feel more comfortable walking around barefooted? Besides you're just bringing in the germs into the house.
Hmm no, pretty much everyone I know takes their shoes off inside. Americans dislike extra work/cleaning as much as everyone else.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It really depends on the house. I always take my shoes off, but I've known others who do not.