• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you take in packages for neighbours?

• Yes, obviously

Votes: 235 23.4%
  • No, wtf?

Votes: 769 76.6%

• Total voters

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
very common to take in packages for neighbours in germany, whether it's a house next door or your neighbours in your apartment building.

the delivery person will then leave a card in your Briefkasten telling you which neighbour took your package in

then again relationship with neighbours in german culture is friendly and a certain type of friendship, especially after a few years. in summer we always grill in the courtyard/garden area of our apartment building or across the street in the park, which is like a get together for any of the neighbours, or even if it's more private grills among friends of neighbours, we tend to mingle. in general, such as in towns, neighbour relationships are communal, like you tend to know everyone in your street eventually, late afternoon on christmas day visit them/they you, etc. there is a much greater sense of community among your nearby neighbours, always felt and experienced that everywhere i lived in germany. same in france, was very communal.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
UK here, I prefer not to because I don't know my neighbours and it can be mildly annoying knocking on their door 2 or 3 times to give them a package as I don't know their schedule.

But I also wouldn't want them signing for my stuff either. I always instruct to just return it to the depot so I can collect it.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Very strange custom indeed. I have lived in multiple cities, houses, apartments, etc. People don't trust one another. I always make it a point to introduce myself, but there are always assholes who find it strange, and react weirdly if you say "hi I'm your new neighbor." After so many tries I just stopped trying.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not your postman, I've never received a package for my neighbors nor have they for me. All my packages just get left on my front porch, no one cares, doesn't bother anybody.

Also: It's funny to me how many people decrying that Americans don't trust their neighbors yet everytime one of us says "they just leave the package by the front door" you're all like WHAAATTT it'll be stolen!!

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Packages get left in a lobby area that's monitored here, so no, never directly needed to take a package in for someone else. If it's outside the main doors i'll bring it in. Generally speaking I wouldn't generally trust neighbors in the city unless I personally knew them. I don't really know anyone else in my apartment complex besides the guy that's across from me i've run into once or twice.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I live in America and strangely, I know both of my next door neighbors. We even talk to them sometimes.

Occasionally, we have asked one of them (a nice lady) to bring in a package for us until we return, when the shipping was off and it was delivered after we left town.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not your postman, I've never received a package for my neighbors nor have they for me. All my packages just get left on my front porch, no one cares, doesn't bother anybody.

Also: It's funny to me how many people decrying that Americans don't trust their neighbors yet everytime one of us says "they just leave the package by the front door" you're all like WHAAATTT it'll be stolen!!
Exactly