• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you take in packages for neighbours?

• Yes, obviously

Votes: 235 23.4%
  • No, wtf?

Votes: 769 76.6%

• Total voters

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I would if a neighbor asked me to do it while they're away, but otherwise I wouldn't touch anyone else's packages. It's none of my business. Likewise for any packages I have coming. Wouldn't expect anyone to take them in for me without having been asked, and I'd make sure it was taken care of beforehand anyways so it wouldn't ever be a problem.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends. At my office we will take things for other offices in the building, but I can't see myself doing it at home as I do not know any of my neighbors. They tend to just leave packages on doors though (haven't had anything stolen yet luckily)

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
As you said, there it isn't. Here it is. Obviously there's a reason why they're all doing it. Preventing false claims being it.

The person receiving the package signing someone else's name isn't the issue. The delivery person possibly signing your name and pretending it was delivered is...

Again, it ensures the delivery was made because there's visual proof. The customer can't pretend the delivery never happened and the delivery person can't just sign for it themselves and pretend it did.

because it's different from what I'm used to!
As we are talking both about amazon

It's actually ridiculous (and I'd refuse to let them take pictures) that they invade your privacy because they cant manage to compare signatures. Oo

That actually displays very well what's wrong with your privacy laws in america

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And what major service in the US does that on the regular? Even assuming you have decent neighbors to trust. Which many of us don't, on top of it not being a regular practice. I can understand if this were only Europe.
Do you not get little cards saying 'you weren't in?' When they can't deliver a package? That's where you write that the package is with your neighbour.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Do you not get little cards saying 'you weren't in?' When they can't deliver a package? That's where you write that the package is with your neighbour.
Sure, we get cards. Never saying that the package is left with our neighbor. The package gets delivered to the distribution center before another attempt is made. Given the reactions from the large number of people in this thread, I know I'm not alone. It's just not a practice I see used often.

Jul 19, 2018
In the US most delivery drivers are on a really tight schedule and certainly won't run around the neighborhood trying to find a neighbor to take your package, and then write you a note explaining who has it.

I think the scale of the different countries may be a factor. In general, in a town here, your neighbour's front door is maybe five metres from yours. It takes a courier a couple of seconds to knock on doors either side of yours. The slip they put in your door is preprinted, so they just have to tick a box and write a number. The whole process takes about 20 seconds.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

You may get a note saying that they attempted delivery and you weren't there. It will either say they will attempt delivery tomorrow or you can pick it up from the depot. They would never just randomly leave it with a neighbor lol.

I haven't got one of these notes in forever. I believe they're only if a signature is required. Most amazon packages don't require a signature.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I think the scale of the different countries may be a factor. In general, in a town here, your neighbour's front door is maybe five metres from yours. It takes a courier a couple of seconds to knock on doors either side of yours. The slip they put in your door is preprinted, so they just have to tick a box and write a number. The whole process takes about 20 seconds.
I think that's definitely a factor. It would take the delivery guy probably several minutes to check my neighbors. Heck it would take him 20 seconds just to get to my door from the street.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a daily basis no. I've done this and neighbors have done this for us when we've been out of town. Like as a kid I was thrown 10 bucks to get the neighbors mail and packages for a week while they were out of town and water the plants.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, we get cards. Never saying that the package is left with our neighbor. The package gets delivered to the distribution center before another attempt is made. Given the reactions from the large number of people in this thread, I know I'm not alone. It's just not a practice I see used often.
You may get a note saying that they attempted delivery and you weren't there. It will either say they will attempt delivery tomorrow or you can pick it up from the depot. They would never just randomly leave it with a neighbor lol.

I haven't got one of these notes in forever. I believe they're only if a signature is required. Most amazon packages don't require a signature.
This is so bizarre!

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
The mailman once did this to me. Gave my package to my neighbor when we weren't there that weekend.

Neighbor dropped off the package when we got back. The package was open and they rang the doorbell and hauled ass...somewhere? I opened the door maybe 15 - 30 seconds after they rang the doorbell and they were either hiding in a bush, behind something or a ghost delivered the package because from my front door to the neighbors house (was told what neighbor got it by mailman) it's impossible to not see them trying to get back to the house or hear them huffing it.

I guess the shirt wasn't to their liking.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The mailman once did this to me. Gave my package to my neighbor when we weren't there that weekend.

Neighbor dropped off the package when we got back. The package was open and they rang the doorbell and hauled ass...somewhere? I opened the door maybe 15 - 30 seconds after they rang the doorbell and they were either hiding in a bush, behind something or a ghost delivered the package because from my front door to the neighbors house (was told what neighbor got it by mailman) it's impossible to not see them trying to get back to the house or hear them huffing it.

I guess the shirt wasn't to their liking.

Wait - so leaving a package with a random person led to a random experience? You don't say!

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Live in the UK. I don't know my neighbours and I will still take parcels for them. It is just common curtsey.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
uh yeh no thanks, if someone wants to steal my dogs shoes, please be my guest, anything of value and i obviously will ship to work or stay home for.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Lol this thread is so weird to me. I have never had an actual conversation with my neighbours beyond "Hi! I think you're holding a package for me?" and I can't say I trust/distrust them, but taking in packages for your neighbours is such common courtesy here.

If I'm not home the postman will always leave my stuff with a neighbour and put a card in my mailbox saying which number they left it with.

They would never just leave it on the porch though. If no one can take in the package they will try again the next day or it goes to the post office where you can pick it up the following day.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Live rural, but I do if I receive the package by mistake. I contact the neighbor to let them know it got delivered to me.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
Laughably absurd yet it also happens in other countries

This is where we once again get into the SIZE of the U.S. Note the respondents from Australia who are also saying that the mail carriers don't leave things with neighbors, and will leave things by the front door.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
damn all the people saying they dont trust their neighbors. america really is fostering a culture of fear.

on topic, there are 2 apartments in my building. If I see a package for my downstairs neighbors I will bring it in and leave it in the entry way or drop it off at their door. I dont take packages for the people in the next building though only because I never see them and I dont have any way to contact them to tell them I have their package.
The surprise family visit shootings start to make sense.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this thread is so weird to me. I have never had an actual conversation with my neighbours beyond "Hi! I think you're holding a package for me?" and I can't say I trust/distrust them, but taking in packages for your neighbours is such common courtesy here.

If I'm not home the postman will always leave my stuff with a neighbour and put a card in my mailbox saying which number they left it with.

They would never just leave it on the porch though. If no one can take in the package they will try again the next day or it goes to the post office where you can pick it up the following day.

I know most of neighbors and I would trust them with my packages. However, its just needless inconvenience. I have had hundreds, maybe thousands, of packages delivered over the past decade and not one has been stolen. If it starts happening regularly, then I'll do something else but for now I don't see the point when this works fine.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Most, if not all drivers here are also on tight schedules and are paid based on how many parcels they deliver, that's why they'd rather not have to attempt to deliver again the next day, they might not have any reason to be in your street again but have to plan their journey to include you. I'm sure they're happy enough to spend another 30 seconds trying another door if it means they don't have to come back.

thats where American delivery guys have you trumped, they don't plan on coming back. Your parcel is being left outside your home unattented and guess what they won't even knock on your door to tell you.

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
In America, we've gone to the next level when it comes to "taking our neighbors packages". Often time it's a Ring doorbell cam footage of someone coming up and stealing the package off of somebody's porch.

That's how we get down on this side of the pond, lol. In all seriousness though, I live in a suburb of Detroit and no, I've never know that to be a practice anywhere around here.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of reasons I'd never do this.

1.I'm black, I don't need to give the police any excuses.
2. America has enough of a history of shit like bombs getting sent via the mail system.
3. I don't know all my neighbors that well, just feels weird overall.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of course we do. We just don't admit to it, nor give them back.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I'm UK, not a fan of leaving it with a neighbour.
I don't want to have to open the door to every delivery company...then have neighbours come around in the evening.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I haven't ever really spoken to half my neighbours, but we still take in packages for each other. There's never been a problem anywhere I have lived. It's just what you do.
Same. It generally isn't the start of something beautiful just a 'cheers' and a 'thought I'd be in'
I always see videos of parcels left out in teh open on doorsteps. That doesn't really happen here (UK) if the door isn't answered the last thing the driver wants is to come back the next day so it's neighbours all the way.

Totally unrelated mini hijack... Do you have a non emergency number for the police in the USA?

Oct 27, 2017
www.newschannel5.com

NY Times Report: 1.7 million packages stolen every day

Around the country, more than 1.7 million packages are stolen or go missing every day, adding up to more than $25 million in lost goods and services.

According to the NYT 1.7 million packages are stolen in the US each day.

Watched a couple of YouTube videos by Mark Rober who set up a glitter/fart spray trap for package thieves.

youtu.be

Glitter Bomb 1.0 vs Porch Pirates

This might be my Magnum Opus. Please see my comments below with regards to reports the video was partially faked.My buddy Sean posted a video with more detai...

youtu.be

Glitter Bomb 2.0 vs Porch Pirates

11 months of social justice engineering boiled down to 15 minutes!I started a company called CrunchLabs where we build a toy together and then I teach you al...

Oct 26, 2017
I live in the city and lived on the corner of a busy intersection for five years, Amazon would routinely leave packages outside our building on the sidewalk. I would take in any package left like this into the foyer of the building and would expect any human of any nationality to do so.

If you wouldn't, you have problems, and if I catch you not doing it am going to tell you in vivid detail why you suck.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
In my country if nobody's home to pick up a package, it's left at the local post office for 2 weeks and then if you don't pick it up it's returned to the sender

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I live in apartments and we all have this like, unsaid agreement packages just don't get touched unless they are the wrong address. they can sit there for days and no one bats an eye

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My apartment building has a secured entrance (just a locked door) with a foyer so if people see a package left in the foyer they'll typically bring it in and leave it by the mailboxes inside. It'd just be rude to leave a package in the unsecured part of the building unless it's absolutely massive and you can't easily move it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I live in England, and since someone is typically in my house most hours of the day, we're kinda-sorta treated as the local post office sometimes, which is a bit frustrating but it's not a big deal.

The thing about being worried about theft is that the recipient is given the address of the person who the package was delivered to, and the time. I'm pretty sure you could take it to court if they refused to hand it over.

So yeah I think the apprehension is a little weird but also the US has, y'know, loads of laws that allow you to get shot on someone's doorstep, so I get it. Also the fact US suburban houses are far more distant from one another than most suburban streets in the UK. There's less reason to be polite to someone who lives 200 feet away compared to someone who shares a wall with you.

To be completely honest though I still dunno why we haven't moved to evening postal deliveries as an option yet. Would suck for the delivery people, but I'd wager a vast majority of people are working 9 - 5 Monday-Friday. Seems kinda counterproductive.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
www.newschannel5.com

NY Times Report: 1.7 million packages stolen every day

Around the country, more than 1.7 million packages are stolen or go missing every day, adding up to more than $25 million in lost goods and services.

According to the NYT 1.7 million packages are stolen in the US each day.

Watched a couple of YouTube videos by Mark Rober who set up a glitter/fart spray trap for package thieves.

youtu.be

Glitter Bomb 1.0 vs Porch Pirates

This might be my Magnum Opus. Please see my comments below with regards to reports the video was partially faked.My buddy Sean posted a video with more detai...

youtu.be

Glitter Bomb 2.0 vs Porch Pirates

11 months of social justice engineering boiled down to 15 minutes!I started a company called CrunchLabs where we build a toy together and then I teach you al...

1.7 million seems high, but I'd be interested to know how many are actually delivered in total.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am friendly with my neighbors but I still wouldn't want the packages to be left at or receive packages for my neighbors.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me and fiancee walking around in Philadelphia saw a lot of houses with packages at the doorstep just waiting for their owners to arrive to get them.

Coming from Latin America this was incredibly surreal to us, as anyone could just snatch the packages and run away with them. Guess that doesnt happen where we were taking a stroll but made us sad about the state of affairs in our country. I can see why neighbours wouldnt receive eachother packages someplaces in America if its something that isnt needed

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
"I don't trust my neighbours" seems like a fairly common response here from Americans. Here in Germany I accept everything for any neighbour regardless if I know them. Same goes for them taking my stuff