• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you take in packages for neighbours?

• Yes, obviously

Votes: 235 23.4%
  • No, wtf?

Votes: 769 76.6%

• Total voters

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So as a different perspective. I live in Japan and the expectation is not to leave the packages with the neighbor if they're missed. Just reschedule if you need to.

However, though, I wouldn't feel comfortable bothering my neighbors for my package even if I trust them completely. Maybe we are spoiled here that deliveries can be scheduled as late as 10 PM and with a choice of the day.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Also now I'm curious, I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon usa that is delivered to my fiancee, but never really checked if it's the same there as they just leave it outside when she's at work, when you guys order on Amazon, and the tracking says it's out being delivered by Amazons own delivery service, does the America app not have the option to tell them where to put your package if you're not home?

Whenever I order in the UK and track my Amazon order, once it's out for delivery I can click an option on the tracking page and pick what I want them to do if I'm not home, you can pick to have it left somewhere but the options list places that aren't just out in the open, but there is a straight up choice where you can pick a neighbour to leave it with, it will even let you put their address in and their name so they don't even have to be a random one right next door....and Amazon even asks if you want that to be your default choice for all packages if you aren't home.......

My mum has a neighbour who lives 12 houses down from her who takes her packages for her when she isn't home as a standard thing from Amazon and she does the same for her.....

if it's amazon's own drivers they just leave it at the door. it's not usually a problem since they only seem to deliver after 7pm. i haven't ordered from there in a while and never used the app so i have no idea what requests you can make. for ups you can choose if you want them to leave it or leave a slip so you can pick it up at the distribution center a day later. my driver was pretty good at 'hiding' the package by opening up the screen door and putting it behind it. fedex i find even better since you can reroute the package to a nearby fedex store and then usually you can pick it up later that night. for the post office they'll usually leave it in the mailbox if it can fit or at the door if it can't and if you're friendly with your post person you can usually ask them to leave a slip instead.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I don't touch other people's property.

Edit: Additionally I would expect a neighbor that took a package off of my doorstep to keep it. Neighbors are no less likely to be thieves as any other random person.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but in case it hasn't, this is so common in the U.S. that they don't even knock on the door anymore. Seriously, I've been here for 13 years and I cannot remember the last time a delivery man actually knocked on my door--unless, of course, they need a signature. They just leave it on your doorstep without saying anything. I think that's unacceptable, but it is what it is.

Im weird but I honestly prefer it. Prevents my dog from going insane. And in most cases I get a notification on my phone if it's a delivery from Amazon.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im weird but I honestly prefer it. Prevents my dog from going insane. And in most cases I get a notification on my phone if it's a delivery from Amazon.

Mmh, that's a good point. It's less of a problem now that my son is a little older, but a year and a half ago, my dogs barking was enough to wake him up and he wouldn't go back to sleep, so it's true that I appreciated it at the time.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No you don't touch your neighbors shit, that is a huge invasion of privacy and a great way to be accused of stealing.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
My parents neighbors do this but they live in the boonies. I don't want to bother my neighbors with my package and vice versa.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's not normal for my apartment building. There are fuckers who will sign, take a package and keep it though. Or just steal it from the front door/hallway. The UPS drivers in my area drive me crazy sometimes because there are two buildings for my apartment complex and they'll take them to the other building.

Couple years ago I had a missing package and the POD on the UPS site simply said "left with man". Didn't even mess with UPS and just asked best buy for a refund.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This holiday season there was a huge focus on "porch pirates" in the shitty entertainment news. Part of me thinks that "porch piracy" isn't any more common now than it ever has been but the huge growth in home surveillance tech and industry has gone all in in trying to raise awareness of people hypothetically stealing your packages. So in return, news sites start covering it more, which sells more stupid Ring doorbells, which in turn catches more porch pirates, which gets put on the local news..... Etc etc

astro

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, in the UK, this is a perfectly normal thing to do. Some of the responses ITT are bizarre to me.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
??????? I don't even speak to my neighbors, why would I hold a package for a complete stranger and vise versa.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
We're friends with our neighbors and we do it, though we only ask if its something really expensive and we're out of town for days

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not touching someone else's mail, and they sure as hell better not touch mine.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
This holiday season there was a huge focus on "porch pirates" in the shitty entertainment news. Part of me thinks that "porch piracy" isn't any more common now than it ever has been but the huge growth in home surveillance tech and industry has gone all in in trying to raise awareness of people hypothetically stealing your packages. So in return, news sites start covering it more, which sells more stupid Ring doorbells, which in turn catches more porch pirates, which gets put on the local news..... Etc etc

Well, it's probably is more common because packages weren't always just left on a porch, that started in the past decade. Prior to that someone had to be there to receive it or you would have to arrange to have it picked up at a distribution center or with a neighbor.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck no. Why would I want to hold onto a neighbour's package for them or have them do it for me?

I just ship it to work or ship it to a local post office and pick it up.

Edit: I don't even know my neighbours...

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's probably is more common because packages weren't always just left on a porch, that started in the past decade. Prior to that someone had to be there to receive it or you would have to arrange to have it picked up at a distribution center or with a neighbor.

People keep saying this but I don't remember it being that way 20+ years ago. I still remember coming home to packages left on the porch. I just got a lot fewer packages delivered then.

I opt out of the 'return to the postal center' stuff because the handful of times it does happen it drives me nuts. I recently had some pointless package that ups refused to deliver without a signature. I almost just canceled the order and was like, forget it.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If it's outside the building I bring it in and put it by their door.

If it's already in the building by their door I take packages into my place and hold it when I know my neighbor is traveling or when I see it out for more than a day.

Then I toss em a heads up w/ picture via text to inform them. Property theft is a big problem in our area so we try to look out.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
They post a card through your door letting you know where it was dropped off/signed for. Surprised at the poll results so far, it's a pretty normal thing to do?

this is like the 3rd response ive seen so far that's literally the same thing yet i never get a card?!?!?! i remember when usps used to leave cards when they couldn't deliver to me and re-attempts and after 3x, i have to go into the usps myself to pick it up.... not sure if the type of building you live in matters but that's so odd, to me.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that unusual, it's weird but not unheard of, but only happens if your local postman is the kind of guy who knows everyone, but that's super uncommon nowadays, even just among mailmen, let alone the many other delivery companies. Ultimately there's little to no reason to do this when in most places you can almost always leave it outside beside the door and not worry about it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Butt you'll happily allow it to be left outside?

America can be a strange place....

Yeah I dunno nobody's ever stolen anything from me. Just seems unnecessary for me, and I live in a busy area with a decent amount of petty crime in my city.

If my neighbor asked me to take in their mail or packages, sure I'd do it in a second, It'd just be a very uncommon request and I'd never really think to ask my neighbors to do that for me. Only exception might be if I'm traveling and know I'm getting something valuable delivered... But even then I'd probably ask because I'd be worried about the item getting damaged from weather or something.

My mom still puts a hold on her mail delivery when shes on vacation. But that's because she's convinced people watch her house for mail build up and then Rob the place. She's also crazy and neurotic.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
I have been screamed at for returning neighbor's wrongly delivered mail.
Either where you live it's safe enough for the mail to leave it at your front door or they leave a slip. The only time I've taken in a neighbor's mail is if I was pet sitting. (Then again, I live in a big neighborhood and the houses are too far apart to make accepting a neighbor's package practical. Most people are at work when the mail comes.)

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Butt you'll happily allow it to be left outside?

America can be a strange place....

For me, it's just far more convenient for it to be left on the porch. I'll live with that tiny risk that someone will steal my package vs asking neighbors to be responsible for my packages and then needing to coordinate pick ups from them.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this but I don't remember it being that way 20+ years ago. I still remember coming home to packages left on the porch. I just got a lot fewer packages delivered then.

I opt out of the 'return to the postal center' stuff because the handful of times it does happen it drives me nuts. I recently had some pointless package that ups refused to deliver without a signature. I almost just canceled the order and was like, forget it.

Maybe it was different in certain parts of the country but I lived throughout Los Angeles in the early/mid 2000s and had enough brown UPS pick up slips to wallpaper my house. Eventually, I learned I could just have things delivered to work and it was life changing.

I do agree that porch theft is way overblown and the chances that something will be taken is disproportionate to the amount of panic and media coverage.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I've lived in my neighborhood for 20 years most of my surrounding neighbors have lived here almost the same length if not longer. We dont know each other and I want to keep it that way. We do the nod to each other on the rare case we're outside at the same time. I dont want them near my stuff and I hope they feel the same about me.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely not a thing in the US, given how uncommon it is for people to know or particularly trust their neighbors. Passing along mail that was delivered incorrectly is about the extent of what is done.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually live in Europe anymore. But in my experience they would try to deliver to you, if that doesn't work a neighbor, if that doesn't work ANOTHER neighbor, and if THAT doesn't work -back to the post office it goes for you to pick up.
From my experience:
First neighbor — even if you are at home — without even ringing, if that dosnt work other neighbour same house, if that doesnt work they might ring your bell (very unlikely) or leave the package just in front of your flat in plain sight.

Rarely they head to the neighbour across the street and leave it there.

When we order heavy things like pet supplies, my fiance actually walks down and carries up himself. With heavy items they actually ring at our bell, when he answered and walked down he just arrived downstairs to see the delivery guy flee. My fiance just asked "dont you need me to sign?" And he just stuttered no rushed off.

my cousins package was thrown regularly through a tilted window on second floor. It landed in the toilette. After he complained packages were delivered more responsible.

9/10 packages are "delivered to me" but are actually stored by my parents just because they are too fucking lazy.

while it annoys me that the delivery guy never rings, i only had packages lost in the delivery truck/because the delivery took too long. Not because my neighbour kept it.And no opened packages

Last edited:

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, god no!

Even when I knew my neighbors and lived in an apartment absolutely not. I didn't even know there were people out there who did that tbh.

Just leave it on the front porch, please. That reminds me that I should get one of those front door cameras that can connect to my smart home.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If my neighbors ask me to, I'll happily do it. Or if their package gets delivered to me by mistake, I'll bring it over, no problem.

But otherwise, no, I wouldn't just pick up their stuff off my own accord. That's really weird.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Fedex told one of my neighbors that I signed for one of their packages over the holidays. It never happened and now the dude is pissed at me.

Coincidentally Fedex also signed for one of mine themselves with a scribble and left it on my porch while I was hundreds of miles away and had a vacation hold so I'm not surprised.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
If they deliver it outside the building I'll set it inside. Especially since the front door is secure now.

I don't take it inside my own apartment, though. If I knew the people around here better, sure- but I only know them by smells and noises and the occasional awkward silent hello.

Smerdyakov

Nov 13, 2017
I live in a big apartment building that doesn't have a way to buzz people in. Fedex seems to have a copy of the key fob, but UPS doesn't, so they leave packages outside the front door. If I see any packages left outside, I'll bring them into the lobby, but I don't hold onto them or anything like that. I don't know any of my neighbors, though. If I did I wouldn't mind taking their package in if they asked.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I'm from Spain living in Canada. In Spain neighbors do, in Canada they don't, at least in my experience.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Where I live the main postal service delivers it to your neighbours by default if you're not at home. It's not like you have to know your neighbors, they just have to be normal human beings. Your neighbors signs the package and when there is a dispute (which rarely if ever happens) the postal service is responsible for taking care of things and you can have it delivered somewhere else in the future for when you're not at home. Much safer than leaving it out in the open that's for sure.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Think most of this thread is imagining a different scenarios to what happens. The postman doesn't abandon stuff outside here. So we don't go other to each others hoses and take stuff; the postman knocks on your door and says "here is post for next door take it" and so we do.

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Misunderstood OP.

I'd say it depends on where you live here in Norway. It's probably normal in small towns or rural areas where you know your neighbour and talk to them on a regular basis. But in the cities I'd say it would be looked at as rude and weird, as people here generally don't really know or talk to their neighbours (I've lived in the same building for nearly 6 years, and I know like two of the other people living there).

Besides, most carriers don't just drop your package at the door and leave. They'll either put it in your mailbox, deliver it to your local post office, or let you select if you want it delivered at home, at a pick-up point or to another address (e.g. your workplace). They'd never just hand over the package to your neighbour and let him/her sign for it just like that, in fact I think that would probably be illegal.

Last edited:

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
So can you just lie about your new 4K TV being stolen and they send you another one?
He never said anything about lying, and Amazon will absolutely not drop a 4K tv on your porch because it's expensive. Every 4K TV I've ordered automatically had to be signed for and they had to bring it inside the house and take a picture of it in there.