• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you take in packages for neighbours?

• Yes, obviously

Votes: 235 23.4%
  • No, wtf?

Votes: 769 76.6%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing poll results. Very American I guess.
Sometimes my neighbors get my packages and I get theirs. No problem.
But usually I have my packages delivered directly at a dropoff of the carrier. Very convenient, I can just pick it up there later when I have time.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
But if you've taken my package and I come home expecting to see it, only to see it's not there, how am I supposed to know you have it? Am I supposed to just sit around and wait until you decide to show up with it?

This sort of thing made more sense before the advent of modern online package tracking systems. When Amazon can tell me the exact moment my package arrives, I expect to see it there when I get home. If it's not there, I'm going to assume it was stolen.
The delivery company puts a note through your letterbox or sends you an email telling you which neighbour it's with.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
The delivery company puts a note through your letterbox or sends you an email telling you which neighbour it's with.
That's not what he's talking about.

He's saying if they drop it on your porch and your nice neighbor decides to pick it up and take it inside their house for safe keeping, how are you supposed to know?

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
That's if they can't deliver it cause you aren't home and take it to a neighbor instead. If they drop it on your porch and your nice neighbor decides to pick it up and take it inside their house for safe keeping, how are you supposed to know?
No-one ever leaves items just "on your porch" in the UK. That seems far crazier to me than leaving it with a neighbour.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I don't know and hardly ever talk to my neighbors. Perhaps that's city life, when I lived in suburbia I talked to them a lot more.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
No-one ever leaves items just "on your porch" in the UK. That seems far crazier to me than leaving it with a neighbour.
Welcome to the other side of the pond. ;) Here, the always do unless it has to be signed for.

In my case, I have motion detector security cameras all around my house with phone alerts. I know exactly when it shows up, who dropped it off and if someone moves it. The vast majority don't have that luxury.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
UK here and I've taken packages in for people I've never even met before without any issues. All I do if im in is leave it by my front door and then the person knocks when they get home. I've done that since I was old enough to answer the door on my own as a kid.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So can you just lie about your new 4K TV being stolen and they send you another one?

For big ticket items most sellers will require a signature for delivery. If you aren't home they will leave a note regarding if they will try again tomorrow or just ask you to come to the depot to get it. They aren't just going to leave a 4K TV with some stranger just because they happen to live near your house.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
He never said anything about lying, and Amazon will absolutely not drop a 4K tv on your porch because it's expensive. Every 4K TV I've ordered automatically had to be signed for and they had to bring it inside the house and take a picture of it in there.
Wtf? I wont let strangers take pictures in my home.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't ever really spoken to half my neighbours, but we still take in packages for each other. There's never been a problem anywhere I have lived. It's just what you do.

UK here and it's the same deal. The postie or delivery dudes never leave stuff outside and regularly hand it off to the neighbors or back to the depot.
It seems weird to me that a delivery service would just dump things outside of peoples homes.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't trust my neighbors and wouldn't want them coming near my packages. They also tend to change every few months at my apartment building and I'm not gonna go through the effort of making small talk with people every few months just to dump my stuff on them.
Wow, the world we live in. America really have to reevaluate itself. It became a society fueled on me myself and I, no empathy and just fear of others...

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the world we live in. America really have to reevaluate itself. It became a society fueled on me myself and I, no empathy and just fear of others...
Sure. You know nothing of where I live and what my neighbors tend to be like, but go ahead and make broad assumptions about the population of an entire country because people here don't talk to their neighbors.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
Those who don't trust their neighbours enough, those neighbours don't trust you either. Justified? Would you steal their package when it gets delivered to you? Most people don't steal is my experience...

Here I sometimes leave a note on the door that says " Not home, deliver the package to the neighbours at number #".

At the postal service or online you can fill in a form to declare that packages are allowed to be delivered at the neighbours when you are not at home.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It actually pisses me off when they don't leave it with a neighbour. Then I need to go to post office or worse the sorting office. That's Royal Mail and parcel force that do that.

Every courier company leave with a neighbour or round my back garden or whatever.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Australian here and this is not a thing here.

If a package needs to be signed for, a note will be left in your mail box saying to pick it up at the post office or depot (usually after 4 or 5pm that day), depending on the courier. Otherwise it's left on your doorstep, and I guess package theft isn't so common here for this to be a controversial thing.

The idea just seems bizarre to me, and it's got nothing to do with living in fear of your fellow human beings, it's just not the done thing. I know my local delivery man and he is busy enough just delivering packages to the actual recipients.

And who counts as neighbours in this system? It is just the people on either side of you or does it include the people across the street?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal. So people trust the doorstep more than their neighbors? Parcel delivery in the US is legitimately one of the most backwards things I've ever heard described. I've had tons of packages held by neighbors, and I've extended the courtesy to them as well. Sometimes they ring my door to pick them up, and sometimes I go over to them to save them the hassle. Barely know any of my neighbors -- it's a non-factor.

Edit: I forgot to connect the dots between parcels being left on people's doorsteps and the neighbor thing. Postal services will go to a neighbor with the package, deliver it there and drop a note in your mailbox saying which address it's on -- unless it specifically necessitates a signature by the person living on the address, I believe. It just makes sense!

Last edited:

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Another UKer, I've never spoken to my neighbors other than when they come to collect their packages or me collecting from them.

Live in a terrace house and have signed for packages for people 10 doors away and vice versa. It's just one of those accepted things here, never even given it a second thought. The delivery dudes knew i worked from home too ( I no longer do so I am collecting a lot of packages now from others! ) so I probably took on more than others.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Where I live (not America), if I am not home, they leave the package wherever they can, so it's usually at one of the shops located on the street level of the apartment I live in.
This usually happens with stuff I order from abroad because then I don't have the option to ship it to a parcel locker, like I normally do.
This happened recently when I ordered a Switch Lite and, previously, to my TV (I had to get it from the deli downstairs lol).

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I live in the UK, on a road with about ten houses. I'm the only person who works from home full-time. I'm basically a concierge for everyone else's parcels.

I started off cool with it, but recently I've begun refusing to sign for parcels for one particular neighbour who I thought was taking advantage of my reliability. They'd have things delivered constantly, and then never come and collect them. I'm happy to sign for stuff, but I'm not an unpaid courier.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In the Netherlands the neighbors accept packages regardless of relationship. Those who don't accept packages are generally considered assholes. Packages aren't abandoned here, and if they are *cough* UPS *cough* then they will get complaints from the recipients that the delivery driver has done so.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like how we've had people from multiple countries say this isn't a thing where they live either but people will still come in to say that not leaving packages with your neighbors is just a "silly American thing"

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My neighbour does sometimes and it can be annoying as he won't come by to give us the mail until we came ask for it. So it's kind of frustrating and sometimes he'll do it when we're just gone a few hours.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
Are there no mail tampering laws in the UK?
Who's tampering by taking in a package?

Deliberately opening a package that isn't yours? yeah that can cause a problem. Accidentally opening a package that's not yours? very embarrassing. Taking in a package and holding onto it until the owner picks it up? How is that a problem.

We take in packages all the time, despite not knowing our neighbours at all (only been moved in a couple of months). It's never been a problem. We also never deliver them ourselves if we take them in. We wait for them to come pick them up. so far in my experience, only immediate neighbours have been asked to take in stuff for us/ vice versa. 2 doors away at the most. If no-one picks up within a day then we elect to knock on the door only if we happen to be going past in that direction and if someone answers, we tell them we have a package and go get it for them. Our houses are so close that it's never a trip of much more than a few meters. Hardly a big effort, and knowing that at some point it's likely they'll be called on to do the same for us, it's just common courtesy. If it's a neighbour we have beef with, well it's highly unlikely they would have accepted the package for us, and we would refuse in kind. So not an issue.

Nov 8, 2017
Here in the Netherlands, they often just leave the package outside my door, where literally anyone has access to it, although since I live in a top floor gallery apartment, you can only see the packages if you actually go all the way up the stairs.

Nevertheless, I've complained about them doing this more than once and they still keep doing it. The only time I didn't complain was last week, but that's only because I don't envy the poor fucker who had to lug a huge 30 KG box up three flights of stairs to leave it at my door.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Lot of weird replies from Americans talking about not trusting their neighbours, 'what if they lie about it?' etc. I find it so bizarre. Amazon put a slip in the door telling you who they're leaving it with, as do Yodel, UPS and pretty much every other delivery company I've ever dealt with. You also get updates on your Orders page saying it was left with a neighbour at Number 55 or whatever. I don't know any of my neighbours other than the cunt directly next to us who's given us trouble over the years, but I'd happily take in parcels for anyone else on the street, and they've said the same for me. If anything it's gotten me to be a bit more sociable with people instead of a grumpy shut-in.

Is it part of that ultra paranoia that seems to permeate the US in terms of the mindset that everyone wants what you have and is coming for it at all times? It's kind of fascinating really, the distrust is really ingrained.
It's possibly partially distrust of strangers but also this:

- more work now for 2 people. Instead of me having my shit delivered to my place, I now have to go ask somebody else for it AND hope that they're conveniently home when I want my shit? Nope.

- as the "neighbor" I now have to be responsible for someone else's shit, be home when they want it, and if not, deal with days of "phone tag" until our schedules line up? Nope.

- 99% of the time as stated by others, we don't know our neighbors and they are akin to a complete stranger. That's where the mistrust comes in.

- people are fucking nosy. Someone also said in this very thread that their neighbor opens their shit. That's reason alone to never see this as a plus

- the way it works here is really simple and non-invasive. Your shit gets delivered to you. End of story. It works. It's never been an issue as some from outside the US make it out to be. I've never heard someone say "Argh, I wish you would've delivered to my neighbors!" Literally if it ain't broke....

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I like how we've had people from multiple countries say this isn't a thing where they live either but people will still come in to say that not leaving packages with your neighbors is just a "silly American thing"

These people still believe in a Queen so anything is fair game.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the next question would be if they really just leave your package on the porch if you aren't home

I mean I don't LIKE accepting deliveries for my neighbors, but it's still such a normal thing to do.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know my neighbours but I still have taken packages for them when asked to by the postman. It just seemed like the nice thing to do.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
In the UK, and I believe most of the rest of Europe, if someone attempts to deliver a package and you aren't in, they usually leave it with a neighbour.

Not in Sweden they don't. You'll get an invoice to go pick it up at a drop-off point if you're not home and/or the package is too big. I've heard of rare cases where they've left the package at the door, but that's not standard practice.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right. We would always get a little note saying it's left at number 10 or whatever. I guess that's the difference

Drivers in the US barely have time to deliver the packages that they have-let alone wandering around a neighborhood knocking on strangers doors in hopes of finding someone to hold on to a box for someone they've never talked to-let alone now filling out extra paperwork to leave at the original house. Sometimes I won't get a delivery until 9pm and these guys look wiped the fuck out from a long day. They don't need more busywork to adhere to some quaint custom.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Drivers in the US barely have time to deliver the packages that they have-let alone wandering around a neighborhood knocking on strangers doors in hopes of finding someone to hold on to a box for someone they've never talked to-let alone now filling out extra paperwork to leave at the original house. Sometimes I won't get a delivery until 9pm and these guys look wiped the fuck out from a long day. They don't need more busywork to adhere to some quaint custom.
They have to fill out a non delivery note regardless of the neighbor thing. It's just a different tick box.

I genuinely feel bad for people who live in such a place that they are worried their fucking neighbors are going to steal a package which they have to sign for. Even if they did steal it you would just get another from Amazon.

It's not a quaint custom it's just a common courtesy for people who live near you, to which you can always say no to.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf? I wont let strangers take pictures in my home.
It's not like they're running around your house freely and taking pictures of your valuables. They came through the front door, walked 10 feet to the living room, placed the box on the floor and took a picture. I signed off on delivery and that's that.

Same procedure when I ordered a washer & dryer recently from a completely different company with a completely different delivery team. Brought them in the house, took it downstairs and put them where I wanted (laundry room, obviously).. took a pic, I signed off and they left. Feels like it's basically standard procedure for big ticket items these days. That way the customer can't argue that it wasn't delivered and the delivery team has visual proof of delivery.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
They have to fill out a non delivery note regardless of the neighbor thing. It's just a different tick box.

I genuinely feel bad for people who live in such a place that they are worried their fucking neighbors are going to steal a package which they have to sign for. Even if they did steal it you would just get another from Amazon.

It's not a quaint custom it's just a common courtesy for people who live near you, to which you can always say no to.
No need to feel sorry lmao it's not that serious. It just seems wildly unnecessary from our POV. This is a "solution" to solve a "problem" that doesn't exist.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
For most packages that aren't overly large and/or widescreen TV's, delivery service hands it off to one of the neighbors if I'm not at home and leaves a note with the number in my mailbox. Happens all the time here. I usually drop by their front door as soon as I can upon getting the note so they don't have to hold onto it for days. Every once in a while I've been asked to hold onto neighbors' packages, which I've always accepted. I usually wait until they show up to collect it, though I've dropped by their door to deliver it once or twice if I expected to be away from home a lot. I'm not an overly social person and never talk to several of the people I've collected packages from, but this isn't particularly problematic. Heck, I see it as a small form of community service.

I guess people who live in a high-crime neighborhood wouldn't be comfy with this kind of thing, but I have no problems with the practice. Heck, since it frequently takes an additional day for my packages to end up at the local depot, stuff being left with my neighbors usually means I get it sooner.

Here in the Netherlands, they often just leave the package outside my door, where literally anyone has access to it, although since I live in a top floor gallery apartment, you can only see the packages if you actually go all the way up the stairs.

Huh. Also Netherlands here and in my apartment complex that's never happened.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

We aren't that worried about it. The majority of the people responding here aren't afraid their neighbor is going to steal something - they just don't want to have a wholly unnecessary interaction with a third party when you can just have the package left at your house. Package theft is rare-but it does happen. Oh no-someone stole the cat food and trash bags I ordered. If it's something more expensive then they'll make arrangements to be there for delivery or have it picked up if you can't make it.

As I've said already in this thread my neighbor is an asshole who has made living here uncomfortable for my family and I. Why would I want my packages delivered to his house? It makes ZERO sense.

You can choose where you live but you can't choose your neighbors.

OP
OP
Gawge

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Lot of weird replies from Americans talking about not trusting their neighbours, 'what if they lie about it?' etc. I find it so bizarre. Amazon put a slip in the door telling you who they're leaving it with, as do Yodel, UPS and pretty much every other delivery company I've ever dealt with. You also get updates on your Orders page saying it was left with a neighbour at Number 55 or whatever. I don't know any of my neighbours other than the cunt directly next to us who's given us trouble over the years, but I'd happily take in parcels for anyone else on the street, and they've said the same for me. If anything it's gotten me to be a bit more sociable with people instead of a grumpy shut-in.

Is it part of that ultra paranoia that seems to permeate the US in terms of the mindset that everyone wants what you have and is coming for it at all times? It's kind of fascinating really, the distrust is really ingrained.
Typical Americans being cagey and paranoid. Accepting deliveries for neighbours, if I know them or not, is just an expected courtesy in the UK.
Amazed by the replies from Americans here. In the UK this is somewhat a normal expectation, an unspoken courtesy.

I just don't understand why it's more convenient to go to the depot/PO most likely in business hours than it is to go to your neighbours.

It's depressing reading how most likely your views are reciprocated by your neighbours for no real goddamn reason other than you feel it's better to alienate them rather than potentially befriend them for a mutual benefit.

Can't help but project if that's how America really thinks of its neighbouring countries. It would fit their politics/racism...

Americans must be either stupid or just shitty humans to allow this to pervade.

ps3ud0 8)
In my experience, in the UK, this is a perfectly normal thing to do. Some of the responses ITT are bizarre to me.

Glad others share some of my bemusement are how stark the difference is.

I know that obviously every single person doesn't do the same thing, but it would be quite strange to not take in neighbours packages in the UK, whilst it seems the inverse in the US.

The "don't touch my stuff" or "not my property" response seems incredibly common, which shocks me too. I have never felt weird about taking in a neighbours package or them taking in mine.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Who's tampering by taking in a package?

Deliberately opening a package that isn't yours? yeah that can cause a problem. Accidentally opening a package that's not yours? very embarrassing. Taking in a package and holding onto it until the owner picks it up? How is that a problem.

We take in packages all the time, despite not knowing our neighbours at all (only been moved in a couple of months). It's never been a problem. We also never deliver them ourselves if we take them in. We wait for them to come pick them up. so far in my experience, only immediate neighbours have been asked to take in stuff for us/ vice versa. 2 doors away at the most. If no-one picks up within a day then we elect to knock on the door only if we happen to be going past in that direction and if someone answers, we tell them we have a package and go get it for them. Our houses are so close that it's never a trip of much more than a few meters. Hardly a big effort, and knowing that at some point it's likely they'll be called on to do the same for us, it's just common courtesy. If it's a neighbour we have beef with, well it's highly unlikely they would have accepted the package for us, and we would refuse in kind. So not an issue.

I was raised "Better safe than sorry" and "Keep your hands off other people's stuff". As a lot of people have said in this thread, they don't know their neighbors. I personally only know one of my current neighbors and their property line is at least 100+ meters from my front door. All others are at 200 plus. So in my current home I'm prob not the best example.

However, If my neighbors want me to take in a package for them fine, talk to me first and setup USPS Delivery Instructions. I'm not randomly picking up a package I see on someone else's property. When lived in row housing and was in spitting distance of my neighbor's door the same applied.

In an overly simplified stating of 18 U.S. Code § 1708 anyone that takes any package, bag, or mail which has been left for collection upon or adjacent to a collection box or other authorized depository of mail matter can be fined and or jailed. (As I understand it, malicious intent would still have to be proven though.) Why open a potential can of worms when you don't have to? Crazy neighbors and over zealous law enforcement exists.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Wow this thread is a real eye opener. Being in the UK I have always accepted parcels for my neighbours when they aren't in, why wouldn't you? It's not exactly a complicated system:

1. Postman goes to house, nobody is home.
  2. Postman goes to neighbours house and someone answers.
  3. Asks if they would mind accepting a parcel for the neighbour.
  4. They accept it and he goes back to the original house and posts a note through the door saying your parcel is with the neighbour.
  5. You get home find note through door saying parcel is next door.
  6. Go next door and collect parcel from neighbour.
Some of the replies in this thread are absurd, are people in the US really that terrified of their neighbours and social interaction with them.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm an american and when I see a parcel dude approach my house I use my scope to read the name on the parcel. If it's for me, no problem. If it's for a neighbor, BLAM BLAM BLAM. That's how we do things in the YOONITED STATES.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
and some people can't separate what they're accustomed to to realize it's unnecessary.

Which is exactly what we're thinking about yourselves.

I can't and will never be able to drive, and the nearest collection point for parcels is about a three-mile round walk in the complete opposite direction of my two-mile round walk to work. It's not undoable, but it's a pain in the neck that's easily avoided when one of the neighbours happens to be home that day.

For the same reasons, I have never had any issue taking in parcels either.

I know you have a problem neighbour, but the majority of people have a perfectly neutral relationship with theirs and there shouldn't be a fear and mistrust about simply having a parcel even being touched, or needing to interact for ten seconds. I'm a medicated nutcase and even I can bloody manage it.