• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
This question has been bothering me a lot tonight. The average fly lives for weeks I believe. Do you think flies are aware that they're not here for long and do you believe the thought depresses them?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
They're flies. They don't have the concept of time or life and death.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
goofy-smoking.jpeg.jpg

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Look at it this way.

The average human life span is 80 years. There's tortoises that live to be up to 150.

Do you think tortoises think that humans have short life spans.

To a fly (if they have a concept of time), time would be different. Just like how 80 years to us, is different then a 150 year old tortoise.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. Your opinion on my other threads should not have any bearing on how you respond to my current one and being snarky just serves to make you look rude.
Think what you may, but I looked at your thread history and realized that I have been entertained by many of them. Keep 'em coming

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
No OP, flies do not understand the concept of time, they do not talk to each other about their average lifespan, and they do not become depressed.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Flies do not think or get depressed like us, they lack the chemicals and complexity. They're driven by instinct, rather then thought or emotion, and respond only to their senses and what they can detect in their environment.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I doubt many creatures below humans understand the concept of life, let alone any insects.

But just to be safe you should invest in a fly depression foundation. Spread awareness.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did you know that alligators/crocodiles don't die naturally

They always die of starvation and/or something else, but never of old age.

Senescence

It's a condition crocodiles lack. Basically, they don't die of old age. But as they get bigger and they keep growing, then they'll either get hunted, killed by another predator, or die of starvation.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
You can't really say that about someone without living in their shoes.

Emotions are observed in humans and other mammals because we have chemicals in the brain triggering feelings. Flies don't have any of these chemicals, and hence no feelings. They literally don't possess the physical means of this.

What you are describing is your perspective of this scenario and projecting your thoughts and emotions onto the flies.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Senescence

It's a condition crocodiles lack. Basically, they don't die of old age. But as they get bigger and they keep growing, then they'll either get hunted, killed by another predator, or die of starvation.

I actually managed to learn something interesting in this thread.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Senescence

I thought "dying of old age" is just a common way of understanding numerous complications that eventually build up and kill off a person, and from a medical standpoint death by old age doesn't actually happen.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

Senescence

This isn't true.

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/natural-world/natural-world/no-crocodiles-are-not-immortal/

Status
Not open for further replies.