• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, but it probably should (my internet sucks, and I apparently have a data cap, which I never even knew about, but it's 1TB and I live alone, so I won't hit it on my own as I never get close, even when I download multiple games).. the alternative is waiting 3-5 days for a game to get shipped out here though, since I live in the middle of nowhere, so a ~3-8 hour wait is a significant improvement over that, atleast!

As far as space goes, I just regularly delete everything off my PS4 if I know I'm not going to be playing it, or if I've beaten it.. haven't needed to upgrade past my 500GB HDD in my PS4 yet as a result, and it isn't much of an issue on PC either.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't, though I am in awe of how large games are becoming, and not particularly impressed by that.

I have a 1TB bandwidth cap that's not really enforced; even if it was I'd manage. That said, if I ever moved somewhere and had a more restrictive cap, or caps are adjusted after the current FCC has its way with Net Neutrality, it could be a huge issue.

As of right now, storage for PC's/consoles is really inexpensive so it's not a problem. Waiting for it to download might be if you're itching to play, but I usually buy physical copies of games for my PS4 and don't game on PC too much.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No, not at all. I've gotten used to deleting or reinstalling games quite a bit thing generation and to be perfectly frank its hardly been a hassle, just have to kind of anticipate want to play for the next few weeks.

code

Oct 25, 2017
I can hesitate if the game is 80+ gb . Or if there is a free week end and its 50+ gb i dont even bother trying

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't changed my mind on buying anything specifically, but when making room for new games I always delete the games I have a disc for first to save time later. Not that it always helps a lot in the age of gigantic patches, but now that Comcast has implemented data caps in my area every little bit helps.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't put me off buying games but having to keep deleting stuff on my PS4 gets annoying

Ivellios

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, if storage is a problem i just delete some old games im sure i never play again.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
On digital games, yes. I've already skipped games that are over 60 GB. I have small HDDs and a crapy internet connection, so...

Trails

Oct 28, 2017
Not anymore. After upgrading my internet connection I'm leaning more and more towards digital. That said I can imagine game sizes becoming problem in 3-4 years or so.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I have been actively skipping Xbone games because of their install sizes, yes.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Not at all. I don't mind juggling game installations on PC for the privilege of playing games on an [admittedly small at only 500 GB] SSD, and storage isn't an issue on Xbox One (since I use an external hard drive). I do, however, tend to not buy games with a lot of DLC planned. That has less to do with storage size, however, and more to do with the fact that I hate it when DLC is released long after a game's launch, as there's very little chance of me going back to a game after so long, so I'd prefer to just not play it at all if I don't have the full package available on day one.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
What bothers me more than sizes is the mandatory installations of disc based games. On Switch for instance you don't need to install. Bought Odyssey and only installed the day1 patch which was very small and took less than a minute and I was good to go. That's satisfying.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Nope, I have good internet now but even when I didn't I just had to suck it up and deal with it. It's a pain in the arse sure but games are going to get bigger with PS5, XB2, Xbox X etc. Its just something were gonna have to learn to deal with. I would like to see earlier pre loads though for poor souls who have to deal with anything less than 20mbps speeds and I think companies should directly address this with earlier pre loads

Tetryl

Oct 25, 2017
It's never stopped me from buying a game, but I did stop playing Halo 5 because I couldn't justify a game I only played occasionally taking up 100GB of space. And I'm definitely less likely to pop an older game in when I have to delete something else first and wait a few hours for it to install and patch.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
No for me, but that's because I don't buy digital for 95% of my purchases.

If I was digital only, due to bandwidth, I'd be significantly less inclined to buy games due to their sizes.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely stops me buying a game but it will usually make me go for a physical copy where possible. I don't like to download anything over 30GB generally, I'd much rather just install it from disc, even though my internet speeds are more than capable (even on PSN).

Tampler

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
It affects what platform I buy my games on.

I live in rural Ireland on a 1.8Mb (That's about 200 KB/s) connection that has remained constant for the 12 years since I've had broadband, with no signs of faster speeds coming anytime soon. I actually have much much faster speeds from the 4G connection that's on my phone.
As well as that, I'm in a position where I cant keep my PC on 24/7, where as I can with the consoles.

For that reason, if I'm buying a game with a large install size, I go consoles and set them to download in standby mode when i'm sleeping & away at work.

It's a bummer, but there's no real alternative available.

Anteros

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't really bothered me. The only time I've ever gotten slightly annoyed about it was the multiple installations required to play MGS4.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only if they're unnecessarily large. There's nothing wrong with (good) compression. I'd rather have a 30-40GB download with very slightly lossy audio than a 100GB download for FLAC audio.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Game mostly on a laptop and on a ship for work so I've got my laptop hooked up to a 5TB drive using symbolic links. If I delete a game I won't be able to get it back for 4-8 months so I like to take my steam library with me. These days sometimes the download size does put me off.

Especially if it seems overlarge for the game. Think Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 is a good example of a game that seems bigger than it should be. Also isn't Gears of War remaster 70GB+? I just want the original that fit on a DVD re-released :(

Desless1

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
No, and never will. We are in an endless cycle, better hardware, better assets and faster connections.

Exiting to see what MS and others can do to get sizes down, but for now, 100GB is the new reality.

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017
It is never been abfactor when I decide to buy a game. However, when I had PS4 with 500GB, I realized that the space is running out, only then I bought 2TB HDD, and that's what I am using in my PS4 Pro as well. Still having almost 1TB left after having almost 10+ games currently installed.

Edit: I presume that the size of games will further increase with better and powerful hardware, and hoping that manufacturers would sell consoles with higher HDD.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't stopped me outright buying a game, but if I know a game has a huge install I'll buy it very cheap, like ÂŁ15, because I know I won't keep it installed very long and won't get as much value from it.

The_Monk

Oct 26, 2017
It does not affect me to the point of not purchasing a game at all but I admit it's a bit tiring having to instal a disc game and having to wait for a big patch download as well. I remeber installing The Witcher Wild Hunt for a second time and it took me quite a bit of time. Understandable but still.

DeltaMustache

Oct 27, 2017
Graz, Austria
No. That doesn't mean that I'm not baffled by some of the bigger games (Infinite Warfare and Shadow of War comes to mind), but neither does it affect my purchasing decisions nor do I especially care. Space is plentiful these days.

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
Nah it doesn't bother me at all. I have fast internet and 3 decently sized SSDs in my PC for games so they all go on there.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never play more than 3 games at a time and I have a 1 TB HDD so it's not bothersome for me. Any games that will take forever to download, I start them before going to bed or leaving for work so there's no waiting.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I generally go physical whenever possible. If a game is digital only, then a huge filesize can factor into which system I choose for multiplatform titles. Install sizes can also affect my decision to buy larger hard drives.

Alandrus Sun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I got 750GB of SSD space and 8TB of HDD space. I know I'm speaking from a PC perspective but I never understood the complaints about game sizes. Space is one of the cheapest parts to buy.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really. A huge game I'm more likely to go physical to not use up a big chunk of our lame 1TB data cap (at least it's not 300GB like it was a year or so back).

But I'm mostly stopped buying physical (Steam aside) as I rarely replay and would rather be able to buy with 20% GCU discount and sell after beating, so it's mostly moot for me on console games.

Steam I tend to uninstall games when I'm doing with them so space isn't an issue. Doom was ridiculous with the huge and always growing file size for the MP mode I never touched.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can do. Not often but sometimes its just ridiculous. If its a game I dont think Ill devoir its not worth the space.

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Not anymore, honestly. I have a 3TB drive in my PC and I'm planning on buying one more. I also have an 8TB Game Drive Hub for Xbox, just got a 1TB PS4 and am looking at grabbing a 128GB card for my Switch. With most of my gaming being done on PC outside of getting the occasional console exclusive or review copy, I no longer find it as a legitimate issue.

I used to do the whole "delete a game I'm not playing" while I install a new one if I need the space, and that was aggravatingly time consuming.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Not at all.

If anything, a big install seems good to me because it means high-res textures and good graphics, usually.

If it were a handheld or Switch, it may concern me because of free space, but I have a 4TB drive in my PC that I install games to that's separate from the OS HDD so I have room to work with.