• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
A large install size doesn't really affect my decision. My ISP has no data cap, and I have a 2 TB SSD. Still, it's a bit of an inconvenience having to wait for the download to finish.

MCD250

Oct 27, 2017
To some extent. It may not affect my decision to purchase a game or not, but it can affect my decision of when to purchase it. I've been all digital when it comes to game purchases for several years now, and while I enjoy it and probably wouldn't consider going back to physical, it does mean that I have to be vigilant about my monthly data cap. Sometimes downloading and reinstalling an old game that I wish to revisit can mean that the purchase of a new game I might be interested in may have to wait until the data cap is reset, and sometimes when I'm interested in multiple games I may be swayed on which one to get first by their size.

But I don't think I've ever decided not to purchase a game because of its size. At worst it just means that the purchase might need to wait for a bit.

Zeranium

Oct 27, 2017
I never not purchased a game because of its size
But before I got Externals, I'd usually ask myself "alright, what am I cleaning out now?"

Almost felt like a game in itself

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
On PC no. But I bought Doom on PS4 and have yet to play it because of how much space it takes up. I probably should upgrade the HD which would solve the issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I didn't think so until today my PS4 pro HDD was full for the first time. I had to delete 2 games that I was planning on playing in the next 3 months. It probably still doesn't but it hurts my ability to stay digital.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
No. That's why physical media rules - I can always just reinstall something and come back to it later. That said....the insanely huge install sizes on PS4 are definitely starting to become a real bother.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
With external HDD support, not at all.

I have a 5TB and a 4TB hooked up to my Xbox One, and I'll likely replace at least one of them with an 8TB soon. Hard drive prices are low enough that getting a huge amount of storage should never make install sizes an issue.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Not at all. You can install a lot of game on a 1TB hardriv (PS4 Pro) space has never been an issue and I buy and finish a lot of games per year. When it's almost full I delete a bunch of games and I keep going, it has never been an issue for me. I understand the problem with install size balooning out of control but for me, no issue, I have unlimited bandwith. The PSN download speed bothers me way more than the size of a game.

I never understood digital game hoarding (besides having access to a poor connection with limited bandwidth)

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about them owning a PS4 Pro and an X on pre-order. 4K visuals are lovely but some of these Xbox update sizes are insane. Just bought another external...

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Hard drive sizes is not the issue for me, I've started buying discs again because my internet is shit and it takes me days to download certain games. I learned my lesson with Arkham Knight. Pre-ordered it on PSN and even with pre-load I ended up playing it a day late. If I had better internet speed, I'd go all digital but that's not happening any time soon where I live.

chub

Oct 28, 2017
Game download size doesn't bother me as I have fast unlimited broadband. Game install size was more of a problem, but I recently cleaned up my PC hard drive so I actually have free space again. My PS4 space used to be a problem too, but nowadays I use a large USB drive, after they added support for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Yes. The sizes don't deter me from buying a game completely, they just keep me from going digital. My internet speeds are decent, but I still have a cap, and the connection still isn't fast enough to where I could download most modern games in a few hours.

Deleted member 9824

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Greatly. I have a lot of hard drive space, but the download speed I have isn't great, so I'm stuck with either deciding to buy a game and wait it out or just play some older or indie games.

KnightSword

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Install size? No, never bothered me. I usually play just one game at the time, so even the vanilla 500gb ps4 storage is plenty for me. Download size however...yeah. Main reason why i get games physical, i just cant deal with 50gb+ downloads, takes me 2 full days everytime.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Not too concerned about install sizes on a 4 TB drive, but download sizes definitely bother me. On a creaky old DSL connection, huge games can take literal days to download, and choke my bandwidth for everything else the whole time. Or I limit the d/l speed, and make it take even longer.

Select few games are worth the trouble.

Last edited:

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
No. Managing storage memory is straightforward on PC. Additionally, I'm on a 1Gbps connection and don't have a data cap to worry about.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not on PC, and not really on the PS4 either. I have fast enough internet and enough space. The Switch is another matter, I hope they add the ability to store games in a USB external drive while docked.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The sizes of games themselves never really bothered me.

That said, I lived with a monopoly ISP that provided unstable connection, a DL speed of 200kbp/s and UL of about 40kbp/s for about eleven years. I'd have to install games over a period of several days.

Oct 27, 2017
Only on Vita. I'd have gone digital for most Vita games had the memory cards not been such an expensive nightmare.

It's not fun to juggle a few dozen tiny little cards, but it beats having to make sure my saves are in the cloud before deleting digital games.

bak4fun

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't affect my purchasing decision, but it affects my playing decision. I am less likely to go back to an old game that is not installed on the system anymore if it means deleting other stuff and waiting a few hours.

Hatebringer

Oct 26, 2017
Install size doesn't bother me at all but I need to invest in a larger SSD. I'm also blown away that this generation of consoles only shipped with 500GB HDD's when games were already using 50GB+. Overall I don't think it's a big deal for the vast majority of people.

Deleted member 11522

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No not really,even a bigger game like Shadow of War can be downloaded during the night and be played the next morning.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, but it does factor into what stays installed and what gets deleted when it isn't currently being played.

Which means that games with excessively large installs pretty much never get played after the first install and playthrough, because I delete them to save space and it's pretty rare that I want to play it again bad enough to wait for another 75+ GB download and install when I have dozens of other, already installed games to jump into.

SikSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't keep me from buying a game but it does make me have to work to find a way to make a game fit sometimes.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Not in the slightest. I have something like 8 TB attached to my Xbox One, 3 TB on the PS4... I was on 150/150 with unlimited bandwidth, but switched to 1GB down with 1TB a month, so I feel the pain of those with lower data caps but at least in Canada your overage is capped at $45 total. I find digital to be the most convenient way to play, so I'm using it.

I have to agree about demo size though. I'm not downloading a 30GB demo for a game that comes out in a week, or that's been out for months.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't affect me buying games, but it certainly disuades me from playing them. If I feel like playing a game I've uninstalled and it's 50+ GB download, forget it, I'm doing something else.

Sero-Kyle

Oct 27, 2017
No, however I keep uninstalling that I don't play for a long time, so if anytime I want to play it again, I would've to redownload it so I probably won't play it.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I will say that install size is a fucking bummer this generation. Needing to uninstall games because one game has an update is such a pain in the ass. I have a shitty 25mbs internet connection... I want to keep things on my HDD as long as I can, but I am in a constant rotation of uninstalling games to install/update new ones. It sucks that this even applies to disc based games.

Hamoody

Oct 25, 2017
(For PC) Yes, but it's slowly becoming a no.

Where I live, our internet isn't really the best, and that would stop me from purchasing games over 60 GB, but yeah, slowly the internet here is becoming better.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
It really doesn't affect what games I buy or play. I mostly game on the PS4, where the 500 GB drive is big enough to hold the games I'm actively playing. Installing a new big game usually means deleting something old, but it's usually an easy decision as I tend to play only one or two big games at a time. And my internet is uncapped and fast enough that my digital collection feels easily accessible, even though most of it isn't installed locally. If anything, growing game sizes would have me upgrade to a larger/extra HDD before letting it affect my gaming habits.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yes. I haven't picked up forza 7 because it's way too big for my 500gb SSD. I have 6TB of free space on an external, but I really prefer to play games on my SSD for the fast load times

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It did when I built my first gaming pc because I only had a 1tb hard drive at the time and I'm the type of person who likes to have all of his games installed just in case and because why not so that was a pain, now though on my most recent PC I have two 4TB drives because they were on a great sale at the time and I haven't had any issues yet. I cant wait for the day where a 4TB or so SSD becomes an easier and less wallet crunching thing to buy. It seems like the prices have been steady and haven't gone down in a while. I can't believe a 4TB Samsung ssd costs around $1500

Ukyo Of Atmos

Oct 27, 2017
No not at all. In fact I'm glad they are getting larger. One example even though it's an older game, Was MGS 4 with its uncompressed audio. The sound quality was incredible.

Fast forward to now. With current display and audio technology. I'm all for it, Bring it on.

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
No, but it does affect how likely I am to replay or revisit a game.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
No and it never did. I play games on PC so buying additional HDDs isn't a problem. Add to that fast and unlimited internet.

Not that I ever felt constrained by 1tb disc that I use. No need to have every game I own installed.

winwood

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not overly fussed by it. My internet is fast enough that I can download a full game in a couple of hours so set them off via the mobile app for both Xbox One and PS4.

I generally have enough space on both consoles for what I'm currently playing, a game or 2 I might plan on revisiting spur of the moment and anything new I might want to buy. I think 500gb just about lets me do this, but would prefer 1TB as standard. Especially seeing as on both consoles you only have something like 360gb usable space, out of the 500gb, after the system reserve.

Support of external hard drives on both consoles makes things easier as well.