• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era,

So I'm in my late twenties and have a full head of hair, but I've been noticing over the past few months that my hairline has been starting to receed. It wouldn't be noticable unless you saw me on a consistent basis, but I've definitely noticed it.

Ive been getting a lot of ads for these online prescription services for hair loss and was wondering if they were any good. I don't really trust articles through Google search because a lot of those are sponsored, so I feel like era would be a good place to poll.

Anyone have any experience with these? Are they any good for hair recovery/loss prevention?

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5a4ce65867b0a927187ca26b.jpg

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's basically 2 effective hair loss medications- Minoxidil (Rogaine) and Propecia (Finasteride). I think these services just help you get access to those

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
One time I heard about how something (Rogaine?) can make it so you can never get hard again, and I never looked into it again. I don't care if the odds are 1 in 10,000, if that happened to me all because of wanting to keep my hair longer, I'd hate myself.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
From an bald man: You can't win that battle.

Get hair transplants in Turkey as suggested.

Hope it won't get so bad you have to shave.

If it does, shave it and hit the gym, as suggested. Maybe even grow a beard.

I heard rogaine might help but the downside is erectile dysfunction I believe? (Which is ridiculous to me and defeats the purpose, you probably want to keep the hair because it looks good and looking good leads to sex but then your dick ain't working.)

Jun 6, 2019
It might, it might not. It might also kill your boners, as you're pumping chemicals into your body to change your hormone composition. Also, you're going to be doing it for life.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rogaine just made my hair super oily and gross, and it's a "never stop once you start" type regimine. A razor made more sense.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Accept it, brother. I was great until my late 20s and now I have a receding hairline. I am used to it by now.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era,

So I'm in my late twenties and have a full head of hair, but I've been noticing over the past few months that my hairline has been starting to receed. It wouldn't be noticable unless you saw me on a consistent basis, but I've definitely noticed it.

Ive been getting a lot of ads for these online prescription services for hair loss and was wondering if they were any good. I don't really trust articles through Google search because a lot of those are sponsored, so I feel like era would be a good place to poll.

Anyone have any experience with these? Are they any good for hair recovery/loss prevention?

Sounds like regular hair thinning for men that don't go bald. The hair line recedes even for those dudes with "full" heads of hair. Go see a dermatologist if you are worried. Otherwise just accept that your hairline is moving back a little.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I heard rogaine might help but the downside is erectile dysfunction I believe? (Which is ridiculous to me and defeats the purpose, you probably want to keep the hair because it looks good and looking good leads to sex but then your dick ain't working.)
It's one of the possible side-effects of finasteride, but it affects few people who use it. I believe people that get a hair transplant also get put on finasteride, to not lose the rest of the hair they had on their heads at the time of the transplant. Or else they will have to get more hair transplants later on.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microneedling + 5% Minoxidil (Rogaine) supposedly is working for a bunch of people, it probably works well for those in the early stages of hair loss especially. I would just say get some 70% alcohol from the drug store to make sure the needles are properly disinfected before use.

I'd try that instead of Propecia ... anything that fucks with your body's hormones is something I'd probably steer clear of.

Also I mean maybe try a buzz cut (something low to the scalp) for a few months. Maybe you won't like it, but all your family/friends will already have seen you with that kind of hair style so later on if you do have to buzz it, it's not really going to be a big deal.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microneedling + 5% Minoxidil (Rogaine) supposedly is working for a bunch of people, it probably works well for those in the early stages of hair loss especially. I would just say get some 70% alcohol from the drug store to make sure the needles are properly disinfected before use.

I'd try that instead of Propecia ... anything that fucks with your body's hormones is something I'd probably steer clear of.

Also I mean maybe try a buzz cut (something low to the scalp) for a few months. Maybe you won't like it, but all your family/friends will already have seen you with that kind of hair style so later on if you do have to buzz it, it's not really going to be a big deal.

OP loses a few hairs and you suggest microneedling?!

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you're prematurely worrying OP.

Hair plugs man. Do it before it's too late.

The ugly truth with this is it may not take for everyone, can be extraordinarily expensive, will more than likely require multiple operations, and if you have anything less than an absolute expert surgeon your results may vary in how it ends up looking.

And also you probably need to keep on Propecia to keep any more from falling out, otherwise it'll look like you've reinforced the front but your army was wiped out from behind, and while the side effects of that are supposedly rare, they seem rather severe if your concern is sex appeal.

Balding can suck, but do what makes you feel good. Shave, try these methods, get a good system (these don't look like the terrible 70s wigs anymore), whatever.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP loses a few hairs and you suggest microneedling?!

Microneedling is not some extreme thing, (mostly) women have been using it for ages for skin rejuvenation. They're also fairly cheap.

If you're noticing hair loss in a mirror, odds are it's been going on for a lot longer in advance as well, it's not just you woke up one day missing a few hairs. You can lose like 50% of your hair density and still look like you have decent coverage.

Microneedling once a week + minox is less of an extreme measure than Propecia I think. Propecia can give some users heavy side effects like erectile dysfunction and "brain fog"/depression.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Or...wash your hair? You don't just use Rogaine/Minoxidil and never wash it out. It's not meant for your hair but your scalp. Use it, let it soak in, then wash your hair.
You're supposed to apply it twice per day and it takes forever to dry. And you're supposed to wash your hair before using Rogaine.

I should note that I didn't use the foam version, so that might have different expectations or experiences.

What really happens if you stop? Do the new hairs just fall out or do all of the hairs in the area fall out?

Allegedly if you stop whatever hairs would have fallen out before will just fall out anyway. From what I understand it doesn't help you regrow hair, but keep the hair you have. I guess it might help thinking the hair that's there, though.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing better than a YouTube podcast with a group of men all with full heads of hair peddling these snake oils for 5 minutes because they've been sponsored (or a group of bearded men doing the same with razors).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You're supposed to apply it twice per day and it takes forever to dry. And you're supposed to wash your hair before using Rogaine.
That "wash hair before" using it is not in the instructions at all. That's an unproven theory by people that are trying to super-maximize absorption hoping a shower will open their pores, just like the crazy people who poke tiny holes in their scalp before applying it. As long as you aren't immediately showering after using it (as I said, give it time to soak in before washing it out). The reality is, for normal usage, most of it is absorbed into your scalp within an hour, all of it within 4 hours if you just let it sit there. I use it before bed, so there is 4 hours worth, and I use it when I wake up in the morning, taking my shower about an hour later.

Also, the foam isn't as greasy, though I still prefer to wash it out of my hair in the morning.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it gives you new hair, it just stops you from losing what you have left if you've already started balding/thinning.

It's a vasodilator that somehow takes follicles from the resting, anogen phase to the active, telogen phase. It does regrow hair, but it can't help if the follicle is fully inactive.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As mentioned, finasteride and minoxodil are only FDA approved supplements things to help. Everything else is pretty much snake oil. Heard decent things from PRP and laser treatment too.

Otherwise, next option is hair transplant but as mentioned too, you need to be on finasteride or minxoodil or both otherwise you're going to lose the rest behind it. Or you let wait till you're really bald so get more bang for your buck and don't have to be on meds. But then you ahve to go through the tougher toughs of being bald.

I'm in my 20s.. thinning and hairline receding. Could've waited till way more bald in like 5 years, but I wanted hair in my prime. I don't think I'd care about my hair as much in my mid 30s. Went to Turkey 4 months ago got trasnplant done. Cheap and good doctors (lot of shitty ones too, do you're research). Hair transplant capital in the world. hopefully works out for me. I am finasteride too, may start minox soon too.

I'm part of a good FB group, more dedicated to transplants but they cover the whole ground of treatments and prevention, and can send you a link if want - just PM me.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Look into Regenera Activa, fairly new but suppose to work with almost no down time and affordable.

Oct 28, 2017
I noticed the corners of my hairline were getting a little thinner. Minoxidil definitely made a difference. But my case was going from a bit of thinning to back how things were. I don't know how well it's works for more extreme cases.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That "wash hair before" using it is not in the instructions at all. That's an unproven theory by people that are trying to super-maximize absorption hoping a shower will open their pores, just like the crazy people who poke tiny holes in their scalp before applying it. As long as you aren't immediately showering after using it (as I said, give it time to soak in before washing it out). The reality is, for normal usage, most of it is absorbed into your scalp within an hour, all of it within 4 hours if you just let it sit there. I use it before bed, so there is 4 hours worth, and I use it when I wake up in the morning, taking my shower about an hour later.

Also, the foam isn't as greasy, though I still prefer to wash it out of my hair in the morning.
I double checked the Rogaine sight to make sure I wasn't misremembering. They do suggest you shower before with a mild shampoo.

And 4 hours is a long, long time twice a day, even if you spend a lot of that time sleeping.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
I'm around 2-3 months in with Hims. No results yet. I hear it could be 3-6 months before I notice anything.

I do know minoxidil works for my brother though. He's in his early 20s and his hair was rapidly receding. He got on a program and it worked for him.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I double checked the Rogaine sight to make sure I wasn't misremembering.

And 4 hours is a long, long time twice a day, even if you spend a lot of that time sleeping.
What did you double check the site about? Nowhere on the site does it say to take a shower and then use Rogaine. In fact, it says the opposite, only apply it to dry hair, or at worst towel drying first if you do use it after a shower. It does say not to get it wet immediately after applying, as that would wash it off, thus waiting for it to absorb into the scalp.

And as I said, you do NOT need to keep in on your head for four hours, definitely not 4 hours twice a day, that's only for people trying to super-maximize absorption. Most of it is absorbed in about an hour.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What did you double check the site about? Nowhere on the site does it say to take a shower and then use Rogaine. In fact, it says the opposite, only apply it to dry hair, or at worst towel drying first if you do use it after a shower. It does say not to get it wet immediately after applying, as that would wash it off, thus waiting for it to absorb into the scalp.

And as I said, you do NOT need to keep in on your head for four hours, definitely not 4 hours twice a day, that's only for people trying to super-maximize absorption. Most of it is absorbed in about an hour.
From the Rogaine FAQ https://www.rogaine.com/faq.html

"Avoid washing off ROGAINE® products" "Each bottle should last about one month, if used as directed. Use a mild shampoo if you wash your scalp before applying ROGAINE® Topical Solution." And from the Women's line: "you should allow the product to remain on the scalp for four hours prior to washing or wetting your hair."

I'm not seeing anyhing that backs up what you're suggesting as intended use.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Theres a lot of people who only use minox once a day and still get results

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
From the Rogaine FAQ https://www.rogaine.com/faq.html

"Avoid washing off ROGAINE® products" "Each bottle should last about one month, if used as directed. Use a mild shampoo if you wash your scalp before applying ROGAINE® Topical Solution." And from the Women's line: "you should allow the product to remain on the scalp for four hours prior to washing or wetting your hair."

I'm not seeing anyhing that backs up what you're suggesting as intended use.
Your quote didn't say anywhere to take a shower before using it, it just said not to wash it off before it's been absorbed. Thus wait an hour. Also, I was talking from the point of view as a man, sorry for making assumptions. Though even then, you conveniently left off the first part of that sentence, "For Women's Rogaine® products to work best..." - as I said, that's for people who are trying to super-maximize absorption.