• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, I was reading this article because of its title:

It's about a pork sandwich popular among Jews, and it has this curious passage:

But can Jews eat pork? Well, certainly the less observant ones can and do. But this is part of a tradition that goes back to Brooklyn whereby dietary laws were waived where Chinese food was concerned. With the RPG, that justification was provided by the packets of duck sauce that formed the sandwich's only condiment.
What's the logic behind this? The article doesn't explain at all.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i noticed on marvelous ms masiel that the pretty traditional jewish famlily went to a chinese restaurant to celebrate.

Oct 2, 2018
Non observant Jews don't give a shit.

My mate doesn't eat anything but salads and seafood (no shellfish or prawns etc) when we're out. He doesn't eat any meat.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
5Wqmd.jpg

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the logic behind this? The article doesn't explain at all.
Explained on Wikipedia:
Chinese food allowed Jews to transition from strict kosher to incorporating non-kosher foods into their diets.[6] Chinese cuisine is "unusually well suited to Jewish tastes because, unlike virtually any other cuisine available in America, traditional Chinese cooking does not use any milk products whatsoever."[5] While most first-generation Jews living in America strictly practiced kashrut at all times, many second-generation Jews remained strict in their home observance but became more flexible in the foods they ate outside the home. The nature of Chinese food allowed them to rationalize this decision, as it is "disguised through a process of cutting, chopping and mincing. Pork, shrimp, lobster, and other so-called dietary abominations are no longer viewed in their more natural states." This process of cutting, chopping, and mincing, referred to as "ko p'eng—'to cut and cook'" in ancient Chinese texts, made the ingredients invisible and thus safe treyf.[5] For instance, pork was hidden and wrapped in wontons that looked similar to Jewish kreplach (dumplings).[6] Ultimately this gave way to many US-born Jews rejecting kashrut altogether as "impractical and anachronistic".[7]

Oct 2, 2018
Add: the funny thing is Judaism don't believe in heaven but some sort of purgatory/limbo after death and I was like - what's the point then??

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
The thing about being Jewish is that you're considered Jewish no matter how religious you are.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Also gonna add that unless you live in a big city it's extremely hard to keep kosher. Finding kosher meat in most places is next to impossible. Sure you can order food online but it's extremely expensive. It's not easy keeping kosher in most of America.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Chinese food on Christmas was a staple tradition for me before I got married. (I'm Catholic).

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
It's not all that different from capybaras and beavers being considered fish so Catholics can keep eating "meat" during Lent. People want to eat tasty things.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
This is an asinine article. As a jew, either you keep kosher or you don't. There is no Chinese food exception. This is some slandering bull if I ever saw it. If you eat pork you don't keep kosher.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Not that I know, but NYC Jews traditionally eat Chinese at Christmas, it's basically a thing, and not all Chinese restaurants are kosher obviously. Doesn't mean they eat pork though.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I had a Saudi Arabian friend in elementary who would gorge on pepperoni at school because he couldn't eat it at home lol.

Like he would trade all kinds of candy for just the pepperoni.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Is eating something like chicken fried in oil that was used for shrimp and pork considered kosher?

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading about this at some point: "Why Do Jewish People Eat Chinese Food At Christmas"

PLAUT: Yes. Actually, Jews eating and Chinese restaurants goes back to 1899, when the American Jewish Journal - a weekly publication - criticized Jews for eating at non-kosher restaurants and singling out, in particular, Jews who flocked to Chinese restaurants. So this marriage between Jews and Chinese food really goes back to when Jews and Chinese people were immigrants in the United States.

There is no 'exemption' or anything, but some people, even very religious people, will skirt the rules when they can.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean if you eat out at any American fast food / any restaurant you're not eating kosher even if it's chicken or something cause everything is usually cross contaminated with pork, etc by gloves, kitchen utensils etc...

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even Jewish but Chinese food on Christmas always sounds like the best thing ever.

I can never get a single person to go along with me on that though. The few Christmases I spent alone, all the Chinese restaurants were closed also :(

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Saudi Arabian friend in elementary who would gorge on pepperoni at school because he couldn't eat it at home lol.

Like he would trade all kinds of candy for just the pepperoni.
Lol that's just sad. We didn't partake of the swine either but I never had this desire crack out on it once I was away from home. I don't think I had anything with pig in it until I was in my 20s and that was accidental. I can't remember if it was fried rice or an egg roll. I didn't even touch Skittles for the longest.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no hell, no suffering so it's a life without consequence as far as religious belief goes. With Christianity/Catholicism- the ideal of eternal damnation means you should live a good life
If you do good because you are forced to then that is weak as shit and fake as hell. Fake Christians are so easy to spot and it's a shame y'all believe your God is that dumb and gullible.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Lol that's just sad. We didn't partake of the swine either but I never had this desire crack out on it once I was away from home. I don't think I had anything with pig in it until I was in my 20s and that was accidental. I can't remember if it was fried rice or an egg roll. I didn't even touch Skittles for the longest.

Damn I didn't know you couldn't eat Skittles. That kid was definitely trading Skittles for pepperoni lol.

Mutaz didn't give a fuck haha.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
"Jewish-American"

Arent most secular? So its not surprising.

Though I dont see why there should be exceptions just for Chinese food....

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would a non-religious ethnically Jewish person need to make the rationalizations described in the OP?
which rationalizations?
Then how do you refer to the religion?
The same way..?

——
To expand my answer to the OP, sure some religious people can bend their religion "rules" and it happens a lot especially in Judaism, but the article isn't really clear about anything, non-religious can still eat pork lol.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm not even Jewish but Chinese food on Christmas always sounds like the best thing ever.

I can never get a single person to go along with me on that though. The few Christmases I spent alone, all the Chinese restaurants were closed also :(

I've never had Chinese food for Christmas....the idea of having chinese food on Christmas seems weird lol

I like going out occasionally to a Chinese Restaurant (not that often though anymore).

Usually have Indian food made for Christmas (because well I am from India lol).

This year I think I'll get some barbeque from a local BBQ joint.

Craving for some sausage and brisket lol

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, that sandwich looks good.

And yeah Chinese food rules. I'd throw any dietary restrictions away in a second to partake in the littlest nibble of Americanized Chinese goodness.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, in Froyo's post:
(source from that wiki article)
As I see it, it's just younger generations of Jewish people straying away from their religion, but as I've said some people bend rules of their religion to certain extents but the article just didn't really make it clear if that's the case here or not so it can very well be.
Plus, a lot of non-religious Jewish are still making rationalizations for keeping certain traditions/rules from the religion and ignoring others. (You can call it "partially religious" or "tradition keeper", these are very widespread)
But whatever, the whole thread is about something that is a very specific instance and not a widespread thing for all religious Jewish lol

Last edited: