• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
So today I learned about LSD "microdosing", which is apparently a popular thing in Silicon Valley used by engineers, coders, managers to improve productivity and lateral thinking. There's even a large subreddit on the subject. Anyone here ever tried it? Did it work? Does it work? Well it does some have effect it seems:

You've probably heard about microdosing, the "productivity hack" popular among Silicon Valley engineers and business leaders. Microdosers take regular small doses of LSD or magic mushrooms. At these doses, they don't experience mind-bending, hallucinatory trips, but they say they get a jolt in creativity and focus that can elevate work performance, help relationships, and generally improve a stressful and demanding daily life. If its proponents are to be believed, microdosing offers the cure for an era dominated by digital distractions and existential anxiety—a cup of coffee with a little Tony Robbins stirred in.

So far, though, it's been impossible to separate truth from hype. That's because, until recently, microdoses haven't been tested in placebo-controlled trials. Late last year, the first placebo-controlled microdose trial was published. The study concluded that microdoses of LSD appreciably altered subjects' sense of time, allowing them to more accurately reproduce lapsed spans of time. While it doesn't prove that microdoses act as a novel cognitive enhancer, the study starts to piece together a compelling story on how LSD alters the brain's perceptive and cognitive systems in a way that could lead to more creativity and focus.
But does a microdose change brain function in a subperceptual way? There's a myriad of ways to test this, but Terhune looked specifically at the way the subjects perceive time. When shown a blue dot on a screen for a specific length of time, the subjects were asked to recreate that length of time by pressing a key. Typically, with longer time intervals, people underrepresent time (i.e. hold the key down for a shorter period of time than reality). In the study, those who received microdoses held the key longer, better representing the actual time interval.

Does this mean microdosing makes you smarter? Terhune and his co-authors were cautious in overinterpreting their finding. For one, it's not clear that perceiving time more accurately is preferable. The brain seems to favor underrepresenting time for reasons that are unclear. Disrupting the brain's default way of representing time, though, may beneficial in certain daily tasks or creative pursuits. That's not clear yet, and the relationship between time perception and cognitive function needs to be further developed. Importantly, though, the finding does show that microdoses changed brain function in some way, despite not inducing a strong drug "feeling."

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Most folk smoke a bit of weed for a similar creativity+productivity effect. Dropping acid seems a bit extreme.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think the drug matters. Its the percieved or real effects that increase productivity while still being lucid and in control.

And cocaine gave us 80's pop culture film making. Where would we be if coked out suits weren't approving shit left and right because a little booger sugar gave them more than the nudge needed to take the plunge.

Oct 28, 2017
And cocaine gave us 80's pop culture film making. Where would we be if coked out suits weren't approving shit left and right because a little booger sugar gave them more than the nudge needed to take the plunge.

spiffyunlawfulkitten-fkkzo.gif

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Microdosing can be super beneficial, but, there are situations to that, and being a techbro isn't really THAT situation.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yes, yes they do. But one normal dose is enough.

Everybody should do LSD at least once. It should be law. You become a completely different, better person.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know about LSD, but I used threshold doses of mushrooms to work through the vast majority of my depression.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microdosing was never really a game changer for me but my experiments were with psilacetin and my anxiety stuff is a little more pervasive/characterological.

Iirc in the threshold/sub-threshold dosing range the main effects are dopaminergic (which ime make things a little brighter and more intense and perhaps 'meaningful' seeming), which I can see why that might be used for productivity, even if I think that whole tech bro thing is painfully lame (I was microdosing in like 2015 before it was CEO-chic :p)

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't do it for productivity, but I am interested in micro dosing psilocybin to see if it has an affect on my anxiety or depression (which in turn would probably have an effect on my productivity tbh)

I don't really like LSD though so idk if I would use that

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I 'microdose' weed but just call it 'pinning.' Rolling and smoking pinners in the morning on a day off w coffee is amazing. Better than getting stoned. And i dont know if it helps creative thinking as much as it does 'zoning out,' which helps divert attention away from distractions so i can focus. Thats my experience anyway.

Everybody should do LSD at least once. It should be law. You become a completely different, better person.

What about people with anxiety and depression.

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't do it for productivity, but I am interested in micro dosing psilocybin to see if it has an affect on my anxiety or depression (which in turn would probably have an effect on my productivity tbh)

I've heard that Ketamine has made strides in the depression and anxiety department, but I'm not willing to take it to find out.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Pretty much this. LSD can help you dissolve the notion of self and rid you of the fear of death.
But in this capitalist hellscape we instead use it to increase productivity and competitiveness.
Yeah, this feels kinda sad to me, and I say that as someone who loves psychs and has microdosed (and not so micro dosed) before to help with depression. These Silicon Valley types will jump on anything they can I guess, everyone wants to be the next Steve Jobs and I'm sure they think tripping balls will help them get there. Also lol @ comparing LSD to coke, I WISH more coke users would try some LSD rather than the other way around. Would maybe get them to quit that crap.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
To answer the question, yes putting a substance into your body is going to change your thinking and brain chemistry in some way. Be it LSD, tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, or just sugar it will have an effect. No need to deny it, nor necessarily demonize it for that reason.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

I don't really like LSD though so idk if I would use that
I'm in the exact same boat. Therapy has never really worked for me, and for a long time I've felt it would be nice if I could just "rewire" my brain. And now you have psychedelics being approved federally for therapeutic use, so it's no bullshit.

I want to get into growing my own mushrooms since I don't have any sources for shrooms or acid (shrooms are supposedly more of a pain in the ass to microdose but it's at least legal to buy spores). It anyone has any tips or advice, that would be far out maan.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ketamine is actually relatively safe. The main risk is that at higher doses it has both emetic and general anaesthetic effects which make choking on one's vomit a plausible risk. It also has more addiction potential than other 'psychedelics' at least for the people predisposed to like it. The antidepressant effects come in after the acute effects of dosing and are supposed to persist for weeks after treatment, but I know it definitely doesn't work with all people with treatment resistant depression. Like most treatments it probably caps off at an upper range of like 50% of people or something. I think one hypothesis is that it has to do with its action at sigma receptors (a lot of other NMDA antagonists or dissociative without sigma activity don't have the same effects iirc.)

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
To answer the question, yes putting a substance into your body is going to change your thinking and brain chemistry in some way. Be it LSD, tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, or just sugar it will have an effect. No need to deny it, nor necessarily demonize it for that reason.
A more generic comment could not be made on the subject, lol.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the exact same boat. Therapy has never really worked for me, and for a long time I've felt it would be nice if I could just "rewire" my brain. And now you have psychedelics being approved federally for therapeutic use, so it's no bullshit.

I want to get into growing my own mushrooms since I don't have any sources for shrooms or acid (shrooms are supposedly more of a pain in the ass to microdose but it's at least legal to buy spores). It anyone has any tips or advice, that would be far out maan.
there are subreddits you can look into

i haven't tried talk therapy in a while so I'll probably start with that, but microdosing has become something I've been interested in, especially after having a very positive experience with psilocybin a few years ago.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Microdosing was never really a game changer for me but my experiments were with psilacetin and my anxiety stuff is a little more pervasive/characterological.

Iirc in the threshold/sub-threshold dosing range the main effects are dopaminergic (which ime make things a little brighter and more intense and perhaps 'meaningful' seeming), which I can see why that might be used for productivity, even if I think that whole tech bro thing is painfully lame (I was microdosing in like 2015 before it was CEO-chic :p)

wow, you're always so ahead of the curve. i knew there was a reason i liked you x.

microdosing for productivity seems like the lamest and borderline dystopian shit. just take it on a day off and enjoy your life. damn.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Ketamine is actually relatively safe. The main risk is that at higher doses it has both emetic and general anaesthetic effects which make choking on one's vomit a plausible risk. It also has more addiction potential than other 'psychedelics' at least for the people predisposed to like it.
Yeah, the psychological addiction aspect is why I haven't tried ketamine yet even though my psych has recommended it a few times for my treatment resistant depression. The effects sound too good to be true for me and as a hardcore escapist I think I'd fall into the hole with ketamine pretty easily, even though I don't have a particularly addictive personality. Still open to it at some point but I'm definitely wary.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA

I second this, I used to fear ever doing it and then I did it, 2 tabs and I was on another plane of existence. It helped me get comfortable with being gay and in a way a very humbling experience.

And of course:

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow, you're always so ahead of the curve. i knew there was a reason i liked you x.

microdosing for productivity seems like the lamest and borderline dystopian shit. just take it on a day off and enjoy your life. damn.

Honestly, I think in this case it's just because I had too much free time at the same point in my life when I was deep diving into some kind of niche cognitive enhancement and/or experimental psychiatry rabbit hole. But thanks! lol

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'd love to try micro dosing some stuff to work on some mental/emotional issues, but productivity? Ehhhh, I don't think it would work well for me personally. I'd rather just eat well and get as much sleep as I can for that.

Being in a better emotional/mental state may help contribute a little to being more focused in my every day life, which could technically increase my productivity, but it would be a secondary benefit instead of the goal.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I did a microdosing experiment on myself a year or so ago. Dropped about 1/10 or 1/5 of a hit every few days for a month. It did feel like it helped my mood along with getting my thoughts flowing in useful directions.

I'm a pretty avid psychonaut and very comfortable with the effects, but didn't notice much beyond altered thought patterns with such a low dose.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
this lol, I feel like I've heard this legend every time I talk about LSD to non users lol
I dunno, I've done a fuck ton of LSD when I was younger and loved it, but I do know one kid this happened to. He was always a nice, funny stoner kid, we joked around all the time and everybody liked him. Then he ate like 6 doses at this little campground music festival around here, and his friends left without him, he had to have his parents come pick him up and he never came back to school after that. He completely lost it. Could be just schizophrenia or whatever triggered early by a massive dose, but he's definitely not ok anymore. We're in our 30's now and he's pretty heavily disabled mentally, lives with his parents and whatnot and is just super bizarre/weird and always has such a dead look in his eyes. It's really sad cuz I liked the dude a lot but he's barely even a person now.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
there's an urban myth of "that kid" in every circle. in actuality he either burned out on drugs in general or wasn't all there mentally to begin with
The kid in my neighborhood turned into orange juice and is stuck in a glass.

Last time I dropped some LSD was in my 20s and it was insane. I think I just have the lowest tolerance everything transforms around me, even regular dank gets me lifted to another level.

Oct 25, 2017
I won't go near the stuff anymore. Friend of mine had a bad trip and went crazy in public. He ended up arrested and everything. Maybe microdosing can work but after seeing that shit I don't trust it.