• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be honest, I look at video games from any age as a 'flavor' so to speak. Think about going to a buffalo wings place, and they come out with a new flavor and you try it and fall in love with it, but every now and then you want that flavor you use to eat all the time and still do. Games are all various different styles and it's really rare that a game is such an improvement and similar enough that it warrants replacing the previous entry outright.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Two player All Cup Tour on Double Dash is so good.

I hadn't played it since it came out, but I was renting a room from a friend in London while working and he had a GC, we played so much DD.

Not only does the two character/item mechanic bring something different, it feels so much faster and tighter than modern MK.

MK8 is phenomenal though, and probably the best MK game for me, but DD is really good too.

And of course SMK is fantastic, but for me it's almost a different game compared to the 3D versions.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Double Dash stands out because of it's dual-player mechanic.

I also go back to Mario Kart Wii, but that's mainly due to it's modding scene.

All the others... nah, I'll pass on them. I feel similarly for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in time as well, not liking the base game doesn't help in the nostalgia field for me.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I have a weird fondness for 64's Battle Mode, Double Dash will forever be *my* Mario Kart and Snaking in MKDS is the sole reason I still pop that game in from time to time to work on some of these time trials. Outside of that tho, not really, I think? For multiplayer sessions it's usually so much easier to play the most recent version in this series.

But fuck yeah I'm always game if you'd challenge me to an all-out-war in MK64.

Oct 27, 2017
Double Dash has aged wonderfully in all aspects, I still go back and play that with friends and family.

DS and 3DS are still really fun games too, but everyone has moved in from them and almost all my friends have forgotten about their handhelds so there is less use to them.

The GBA/64/SNES games have aged badly and lost their worth to me lmao.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Mario Kart 8 is the definitive title, but Double Dash!! has a soft spot in my heart. Loved the mini-turbos and the characters' specials. I can see the relevance of the 64 battle mode and maybe Wii's wheelies and battle mode.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. 64 and Double Dash are both great fun with friends. Wii and the DS/3DS versions.... Not so much. The wii one I never liked at all. And the DS/3DS one's hurt my eyes and make my hands cramp up and go numb. I had a good time with them but see no reason to go back really.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some of them, 64 and Double Dash I played a lot of as a kid so I'll still play those with friends sometimes, and DS has the enjoyable mission mode.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
DS - map catalog sticks with me, feels like a solid rep of pre-motorcycle MK (egg cart 4 lyfe)
Double Dash - Unique mechanic in the series

Thing is, series keep improving so much each time that the only really pressing reason I revisit any older MK is for a specific map.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
The older MK games are only good for nostalgia for me. I usually opt for the newest ones. The last few MKs game also had the best online experience out of any Nintendo games I've played.. so I typically stick with them. Been super smooth for me so far and I enjoy how easy it is to start a match

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's very hard. Even the classic SMK is hard to play these days. At least for me.

MisterLuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind going back to playing Mario Kart 64 just for the multiplayer. Other than that, I would play the current mario kart game like 8.

Samba

Oct 27, 2017
Still play 64 to this day, as I prefer its higher risk/reward handling compared to the overly safe (and slightly dull) physics of MK8.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I have zero desire to play anything prior to MK8, that game is perfect. The only time I didn't feel the same was with MK wii, cuz that game was hot ass

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Every Mario Kart if amazing. The joys of having your buddies over for some Mario Kart was always good.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Kart and Super Circuit will always be fun to play with their tight, twitch handling and smaller tracks. They're ageless games, with perfect handling, and games I will revisit over and over.

MK64 and DD were the nadir of the series and with time only get worse. No reason to every go near them again. MKDS was the start of the upturn. Was nice to revisit for a while on VC, but didn't hold my attention for long. I can't see myself every feeling compelled to play MKWii again. MK7 is lovely, but with the release of 8/Deluxe, doesn't have much to make we want to play that over the Switch.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Switch on friday and mom has been super nostalgic for MK64 so I got 8D to play with her. I miss 64, it was the only one I owned prior, and I played it a lot with mom back then. She's really bad at it but she has fun.

Before 8/8D, I had played some of MKWii that a friend had and I thought it was terrible.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I lost interest in the series but I would imagine it being weird playing any before the DS one(or double dash).

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 is the first one I ever really enjoyed playing.

So, no.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Double dash is pretty good but I find less and less reason to go back to it nowadays. The problem is that with time, it becomes more and more inaccessible. Less of my friends are familiar with it, even those that know the game tend to be pretty mediocre at it.

In general, I used to appreciate the depth that the game offered, but more often nowadays I'm just playing a few rounds to have fun with friends, in which case I want us to all have a good time. Problematically, the older MK titles don't facilitate that very well. If we play something like Yoshi Circuit on Double Dash, then I'll often lap one of the more inexperienced players, it just isn't very fun.

MK8 made a big effort to level the playing field between experienced, and inexperienced players. That's something I really appreciated.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SNES and MK64 are both great and some of the best kart racers ever. N64 one still has the best battle mode and speedrunning is great for it. The SNES feels different and offers a unique racing experience that the others won't can't give you as a result of its graphics and design.

MK8D is the best but older ones do have their ups and experience that's different and worth playing. MK Wii was nice.

MisterDodo

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Super Mario Kart is somewhat janky compared to the games that came after it, but it still gives fond enough childhood memories to make me pick it up every now and then. Similarly, MK Wii makes me think back to all the absurd clans and modifications that people made for it, and I can't help but look back at it at times (even if the item balance makes no sense at all).

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
The more you play of the games after Wii the harder it is to enjoy the older ones.

Everyone here is praising 64 but its mostly because of battle mode. Going back to 64 after playing 8 for so long is hard.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. Christ, getting people to play the latest and greatest is enough of a chore. Mario Kart definitely lost its local multiplayer lustre to tons of other games in the last few years, imo. (Not a joke post)