• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NightHawk

Dec 6, 2018
Being healthy mentally is such an important part of living. The money I spend on my cats is a pittance compared to the good I get out of being involved in their furry little lives.

Cormano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Texas
Ended up with my Chihuahua because my ex wanted a pet, so she got the dog as a gift. When we divorced i ended up keeping her because my ex didnt care for her and i was the only one feeding and taking care of the animal. They didnt like each other. (The irony).

Nov 17, 2017
I don't despise pets. A few of my friends have pets and I play around with the dog or cats when I'm there.

But I would never want an animal in my house.

When I was single and my potential date would say they have pets, that would be a deal breaker for me. No matter how hot they were. I even prefered smokers over pet owners.

I personally find it disgusting when I see pets on sofa's or in beds, or on any house furniture. I would never be able to sleep in that house.
I have to say I'm having trouble understanding how you can't tolerate pets but you're seemingly cool with smokers in terms of cleanliness. One of them is actually harmful to you.

I mean, clean your house, bathe your pets. If you're a dirty person that doesn't clean up after themselves, then your place is going to be disgusting whether you have a pet or not.

You do realize it's possible to have a pet that isn't filthy, right? Do you think your pet owning friends are disgusting too?

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I know it happens. Can't escape it. But I can reduce that by not having pets in my house.

My house will always be cleaner without pets.
Which is simply false.

Cats are incredibly cleanliness loving animals. Ever since we have cats our flat got so much cleaner, surely, you have hair everywhere but you had dust and dirt before too, but it was not as obvious so we cleaned less often. Just because its less obvious doesnt mean its not there.

Do you know how aristocats get parasites? Through the dirt YOU carry inside. Indeed the "filthy animal" is not the cat. Cats dislike messes, keep their fur extremly clean, and even sort their shit (literally). If they have a problem with a not clean flat, they will express themselves accordingly.

Humans on the other hand...

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is simply false.

Cats are incredibly cleanliness loving animals. Ever since we have cats our flat got so much cleaner, surely, you have hair everywhere but you had dust and dirt before too, but it was not as obvious so we cleaned less often. Just because its less obvious doesnt mean its not there.

Do you know how aristocats get parasites? Through the dirt YOU carry inside. Indeed the "filthy animal" is not the cat. Cats dislike messes, keep their fur extremly clean, and even sort their shit (literally). If they have a problem with a not clean flat, they will express themselves accordingly.

Humans on the other hand...

Human bites are more dangerous than dog/cat bites in terms of infection risk. Humans are dirty animals.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't despise pets. A few of my friends have pets and I play around with the dog or cats when I'm there.

When I was single and my potential date would say they have pets, that would be a deal breaker for me. No matter how hot they were. I even prefered smokers over pet owners.

I personally find it disgusting when I see pets on sofa's or in beds, or on any house furniture. I would never be able to sleep in that house.

How is smoking that can literally give you cancer/lung disease etc, costs a ton and makes you smell awful better than having a pet? That literally makes no logical sense.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

If a woman approached me with your perspective, that would be a major deal breaker.

Yep. The feeling is mutual from a lot of pet owners. Some one like kismet would be an instant deal breaker for me because I will have pets and honestly I can't even understand people who don't like them. TO the point if you do not like animals (I mean not just are squished out by them like kismet but do not like them) I instinctively am biased against you and tend to have a dislike for you. So I'm almost the opposite of kismet. Not having or at least wanting pets makes me not want to date some one (well when I was dating).

How is smoking that can literally give you cancer/lung disease etc, costs a ton and makes you smell awful better than having a pet? That literally makes no logical sense.

Pretty much. Smokers smell gets on everything. I work retail and smokers who return stuff no matter how new and unused it is it has to be marked as damaged and unsellable cause the stink is all over it (like I can smell it just by handling it and I don't have a great sense of smell). And yeah, it is proven pets help extend your life (by helping reduce stress) where as smoking definitely shortens it.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Because a cigarette doesn't poo, piss, make annoying noises or shed fur. And I prefer the smell of smoke to a dog or cat litter.

Not saying smoking is good. But I prefer a smoker to a pet owner.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
I grew up thinking the same thing. Then my dad got a white labrador, who brings cheer to the room just by being there. Decided I wanted that too. I have a 2 year old chocolate lab now, and despite the overwhelming energy she brings, my life is better for having her in it.

She taught me how to not be selfish with my time, and learn to care for someone that relies on you to live. Really made for a good transition into fatherhood.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Because a cigarette doesn't poo, piss, make annoying noises or shed fur. And I prefer the smell of smoke to a dog or cat litter.

Cat litter doesnt smell unless you dont clean it for 11-16 hours straight.

Cats are cleaner, less messy than anyone else you have contact with (that colleague who shares a keyboard with you? He doesnt wash his hands after taking a piss; you recall the last door handle you touched? At least 36 hours pass since last time it had been properly desinfected; Your toilette is cleaner than your mobile for a reason: humans are gross!

The noises are education. Our cats barely meow. But you are right: Speech simulations/aids are of course way nicer to listen to than meowing.

Do you have any other argument but hygienics? 'Cuz that one falls apart.
Human bites are more dangerous than dog/cat bites in terms of infection risk. Humans are dirty animals.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

"I may have Lung Cancer and smell like straight-up depression, but thank god I don't have to smell a dog!"

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017

You can adopt a dog that already knows to do his stuff only outside. There's no reason for it to happen inside your house unless something specific happened. Same for noises.
Fur is the only thing you will have to deal with constantly and it's nothing much, just like dirt or dust.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
"Why do people get pets?"

Is that an actual, serious question? Even if you don't want to put the time and attention into owning a pet, you can surely understand the basics of the dynamic, right? We like taking care of shit, especially if that shit is cute and/or fuzzy. It's not rocket science. It's also not rocket science to understand why someone doesn't want a pet. They can be expensive, they can require a lot of care and attention that people might not be suited to give, and the can be messy in ways that people can't deal with.

All the passive aggressive back and forth and talking about not being able to understand why someone would/wouldn't want a pet to the point of it being a deal breaker to a potential relationship. Damn people, it doesn't have to be so tribal. If I didn't want a pet myself, but someone I was with wanted one, who on Earth would I ever draw a line in the sand over that? If they took care of the bulk of the shit associated with said pet, why would I care? Oh no, my living room smelled like a cat turd once a day...my life is ruined! Oh no, there's a bit of pee on the floor....GASP! That's it, I want a divorce! God damn guys.....unless it's someone with 70 cats and shit is coating every square inch of their house, I think some compromises can be reached and some basic understanding achieved, right?

Man...this thread is making me miss my wee cat, Tilly. We had to have her put down two weeks ago today, her heart rather suddenly stopped working properly and there was no prognosis for her. We had her for 14 years. She had a bunch of health issues in that time - including some almost biblical bouts of IBS that resulted in huge puddles of liquid shit just dropping out of her...she couldn't control it. Special food sorted that out though. She had a lovely personality, just a beautiful wee thing. Two weeks ago I had to stand there and stroke her as they put her out...my poor wee cat. They become part of the family, not just a pet. I'd have paid anything to keep her going, but that'd have been cruel and prolonged her suffering. I'm not ashamed to admit I was crying my eyes out...straight up ugly crying. That level of pain can be seen as another big disadvantage in pet ownership, but I had 14 great years with her I wouldn't trade for anything.

Wow...that took a turn. Sorry, had to get that out I guess.