• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've never really understood pets. I like visiting pets - my sister has a cat and it's fun to play with him and pet him when I'm hanging out. Occasionally I think I should get a cat, but it just seems... nearsighted? Selfish?

Maybe it's because I'm poor. The idea of having the extra time and money to take care of an animal well (not just leave it locked in a room for 10 hours a day) is completely foreign to me. Like that's a level of rich I've never come across. I don't even have the time and money to take care of myself properly. And I make like $50k a year! I don't know how properly poor people (or people with kids) manage.

Making 50k a year being single(or not married) is poor now? Unless you live in a big city with huge expenses, that's ridiculous.

Aleriza

Dec 4, 2018
Pets make people happy, you have companionship that's really the only reason a lot of people have to own a pet.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Saving since this summer to buy a Sphynx kitten. Y'all better greet my future daughter when I make a thread here about her!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Making 50k a year being single(or not married) is poor now? Unless you live in a big city with huge expenses, that's ridiculous.

$1000 to rent, $1000 to student loans, a few hundred to utilities and food... and I live in a real shithole, heroin-y sort of apartment building, too. With a roommate! Take-home pay is less than $2500 a month.

And nah, that's not even the city. I think I'd probably need $70k to live in Boston proper. I'm in the suburbs.

Creamie

Avenger
Nov 14, 2017
I enjoy dogs more than people. I am a dog person. I don't particularly care for cats too much, but its really just a preference.

Why the fuck do you care what people do with their money? You think material things will bring more joy and companionship than a dog?

Yeah it may potentially be more expensive than some other hobbies, but things like dog food are relatively cheap. You are grasping at straws there. We spend about ~$80/month on average for my dog between food, treats, toys, and vet visits. Sure there may be a surprise every now and then at a vet visit that will pump that up a little, but I enjoy my dog far more than a cable tv subscription or most other things that cost ~$80/month.

"What is the point of people buying a TV when it will just die in 10 years and you do something else?"
"What is the point of people buying an XBOX when it will just die in 10 years and you do something else?"
"What is the point of people going to the movies when it will just end in 2 hours and you do something else?"
"What is the point of getting married when your spouse will die in 5-40 years and you do something else?"

IF you want to get nitpicky at other people "wasting" money, show us the transactions you have made in the past 6 months.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Because I come home and my dog is so overtaken with joy to see me, she runs and jumps on me and is ready to play fetch.

Pretty tough to not find happiness in that OP

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Recently I've found the concept of getting a pet really bizarre. It's probably because I don't make enough money to live on my own and am still paying for college and whatnot, and also thinking about the amount of money I could have saved if not for college expenses and whatnot. But then, the concept of owning a pet pops up in my head and how much of a waste of money it is when that same money could be used to benefit your life in other, more permanent ways and maybe even the lives of others as well.

Like I work retail and you'll have older people with 2 dogs and 2 cats, or like 4 dogs and buy stupid amounts of dog food and spend god knows what on medical expenses, toys, etc. The standard of living that you could improve for yourself with all that money (speaking from a relatively poor college student's point of view) is RIDICULOUS. I had to consider in my mind that they had so much money they got bored and wanted to take care of an animal for fun.

And before you say "It's not just animal it's a member of the family and I love him/her!" you don't. Well, to be specific, you don't love a pet before you spend substantial time with it. You are adopting/purchasing a pet to fall in love with it. Basically choosing to take care of an animal for 10-15 years until they die and you do something else. Not trying to sound sociopathic or anything, but it's weird to me to have so much money and use it on a pet when you could use that money to invest in your retirement fund, help pay for a relative afford college, pay off student debt, start a new hobby, travel a little bit... stuff like that.

I know people are gonna read the title, not read the OP, an assume I'm an asshole who hates animals and doesn't understand love, so go ahead and think that if you haven't read through the OP, but if you have, I want to know what is the benefit of deciding to get a pet like a dog or cat? Or even a goldfish or some shit?

Lmao most people don't have enough money to properly take care of the pets they have. They get them for companionship and do bare minimum in upkeep.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
I don't want to get emotionally attached to something that I know will die in a short number of years. I don't want to have to deal with and anticipate that grief, distress and sadness if it can be avoided.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I have had animals all my life, my parents have cats when I was born. I have never lived without a pet and I never will. Yes, they cost money and time but they are 1000% worth it to me and I legit feel bad for people who do not understand the joys of owing a pet.

OP, Obviously, I did not *love* my pets when I first got them, they were all rescues 2 found outside and one from a shelter but I love animals and I knew I would love them so that is why I got/kept them. I have a hard time understanding why you do not understand that even if you do not have/want any pets? There are a ton of things in life I don't care for but I can see why other people would want to do it.

I also do not care about how much my life would be elevated if I did not have the costs of pets. My husband and I both work so we can afford the things we need and want, which includes pets. I would rather be poor with my pets than rich without them. They add so much enjoyment and fun to my life.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
You sound like an asshole who hates animals and doesn't understand love :p

I feel like you could replace all that with "having children" and I'd have the exact same feeling lol

It's not really a purely logical decision, I like having a fluffy friend to hug and pet and take care of every day. Once I go out on my own the main reason I don't see myself getting a dog specifically is all the training I'd need to do early on, don't feel like I've ever been that good at that part.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a dog because I like having a loyal friend. Also dogs are cool.

Creamie

Avenger
Nov 14, 2017
I don't want to get emotionally attached to something that I know will die in a short number of years. I don't want to have to deal with and anticipate that grief, distress and sadness if it can be avoided.

That is a pretty sad way of living life. I understand the concepts of that mindset, but I have had pets that died and you don't remember the bad parts. I remember the special times and good parts of their life, and some of hte more frustrating times they are kind of funny to me now. But I remember my pets with fondness and not sadness. It was rough at the time when they died, but that is part of life.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
$1000 to rent, $1000 to student loans, a few hundred to utilities and food... and I live in a real shithole, heroin-y sort of apartment building, too. With a roommate! Take-home pay is less than $2500 a month.

And nah, that's not even the city. I think I'd probably need $70k to live in Boston proper. I'm in the suburbs.

The fact you feel you are struggling on 50k a year is nuts...you need to budget better. Try living on £18k a year - and even then I'm in a better position that a great deal of the UK

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
They're cute and/or cool. They make me happy and I enjoy having them around. Having to spend money and deal with some extra responsibility isn't a problem.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Saving since this summer to buy a Sphynx kitten. Y'all better greet my future daughter when I make a thread here about her!
I've been considering one myself, but I haven't been able to find concrete information on how frequently they need baths.

I also live in MA and it gets cold in the winter, so I'm not sure if it would be entirely comfortable in the climate.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact you feel you are struggling on 50k a year is nuts...you need to budget better. Try living on £18k a year - and even then I'm in a better position that a great deal of the UK

Nah, I'm not struggling at all. I live cheap as shit (less than $50 a week on food) and even have a little left over to save at the end of the month.

$2400 a month (income)
-----
$1000 to rent
$1000 to student loans
$160 to utilities (internet + electricity + phone, no cable, phone paid off)
$150 to food (no eating out)

Leaves about $100 a month after that. I'll usually spend half of that on comic books/video games/whatever else for entertainment, save the rest. And I have a solid cushion of savings, too, a few thousand as an emergency fund.

I could move, but I'm already spending 2 hours a day commuting. I could get a new job, but I don't really want to - I'd rather have less money.

But yeah, with that a pet is out of the question. I couldn't give it a good life. And if I can't at 50k, I have no idea how people making less than me manage.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
When got divorced from my first wife, I was alone and at the lowest possible point of my life. My 2 cats were the only connection I had and their warmth and companionship got me through that time. Now remarried, they are basically the kids (along with another one) for my new wife and I. I love them completely.

It's a matter of empathy and investment. If you invest in pets, they in turn invest in you. (Although many dogs will invest without the owner buying in regardless) I am sorry you apparently have never felt a genuine bond with an animal and I hope that's something you can have in your life.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I honestly did not realize how much better a dog would make my life until I got one. I can't even explain it. I honestly think having her has helped with my mood, anxiety, and depression. And it's really not that expensive to take care of a dog.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Yeah I've never really understood pets. I like visiting pets - my sister has a cat and it's fun to play with him and pet him when I'm hanging out. Occasionally I think I should get a cat, but it just seems... nearsighted? Selfish?

Maybe it's because I'm poor. The idea of having the extra time and money to take care of an animal well (not just leave it locked in a room for 10 hours a day) is completely foreign to me. Like that's a level of rich I've never come across. I don't even have the time and money to take care of myself properly. And I make like $50k a year! I don't know how properly poor people (or people with kids) manage.

It costs me less than $4 a day two own my two cats. It's not that much of a burden.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My dog passed away last year(6 years family, last 3 mine specifically while I was moving around) and I've started to realize how much stress relief she gave me even when being a pain. In fact I've realized I really need a new dog because if I'm not careful I'm going to stress out bad when I need to do something important

Nov 4, 2017
Whether you agree with it or not Society has evolved over the centuries to domesticate and keep animals as pets, for a variety of reasons. I used to have 2 Dogs when i was a kid until my teens which i loved, doted on, waled and cared for and after they both died i decided i wasn't going to go through that commitment again.

I got older and had a family of my own and was self aware that i just couldn't provide attention and care that dog would need with full time job and family to come home to. That's responsibility as far as i'm concerned, to be honest with yourself in the long term about whether not is a pet right for you but if you're right for a pet.

What pisses me off more then anything is when people keep pets for the novelty and after a week, they just don't bother them. i resented my Girlfriends parents for this as they would quite literally hoard pets, They had 2 dogs which they would just lock in the kitchen, would never walk, would just moan at them and they weren't house trained so just constantly pissed and shat in the house. I constantly urged them to re home them and that they deserved better but they couldn't be bothered for a long time. They were essentially surprise gifts that got tossed to the side after a week.

Finally they did re home them only for another dufus family member to buy her Mother another dog as a fucking "Birthday Present" and thus the cycle repeats.

Her Father also has a parakeet which is just cooped up in a cage and never lets it out. It just chirps all day (very loudly) and everyone moans at it including him. GIVE IT TO A SANCTUARY THEN.

They're selfish idiots and i understand why people keep certain pets that can be domesticated like Cats and Dogs, but why fucking Birds? Why Budgies? It's self indulgent and completely against the animals nature.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Outside of vet visits and grooming my dog barely cost anything. And she's a constant companion and love sponge. You're way off base here, OP

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Recently I've found the concept of getting a pet really bizarre. It's probably because I don't make enough money to live on my own and am still paying for college and whatnot, and also thinking about the amount of money I could have saved if not for college expenses and whatnot. But then, the concept of owning a pet pops up in my head and how much of a waste of money it is when that same money could be used to benefit your life in other, more permanent ways and maybe even the lives of others as well.

Like I work retail and you'll have older people with 2 dogs and 2 cats, or like 4 dogs and buy stupid amounts of dog food and spend god knows what on medical expenses, toys, etc. The standard of living that you could improve for yourself with all that money (speaking from a relatively poor college student's point of view) is RIDICULOUS. I had to consider in my mind that they had so much money they got bored and wanted to take care of an animal for fun.

And before you say "It's not just animal it's a member of the family and I love him/her!" you don't. Well, to be specific, you don't love a pet before you spend substantial time with it. You are adopting/purchasing a pet to fall in love with it. Basically choosing to take care of an animal for 10-15 years until they die and you do something else. Not trying to sound sociopathic or anything, but it's weird to me to have so much money and use it on a pet when you could use that money to invest in your retirement fund, help pay for a relative afford college, pay off student debt, start a new hobby, travel a little bit... stuff like that.

I know people are gonna read the title, not read the OP, an assume I'm an asshole who hates animals and doesn't understand love, so go ahead and think that if you haven't read through the OP, but if you have, I want to know what is the benefit of deciding to get a pet like a dog or cat? Or even a goldfish or some shit?

FIrst of all, a lot of people have pets who don't have much money so that already answers your theory that it is cause they have too much money. And to me a house does not feel like a home and feels empty without a pet. I don't ever want to be without a furry little buddy. Hell, other people's houses that don't have pets feel empty to me.

And people get pets for different reasons.

I mean I could ask the same question you did about why people have kids. They are even more expensive than pets and they have to be at least conceived at the very least before you love it. And they are a lot bigger and longer commitment. And just being born to you doesn't gaurentee you'll love it. Plenty of people who sadly don't. I guess since I don't get it I should just chalk it up to too much money, right?

Just cause you don't want a pet doesn't mean peoples reasons are to waste money. I mean your question could apply to anyhing you don't understand that people like and buy that aren't necessities. Just cause you see no point doesn't mean it's a waste of money.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I have a cat because I have depression. I have no family and barely any friends. I work too much to date and I have attempted suicide in the past. I don't know what I'd do without him.

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
I have a dog that I really care about with my wife, but I get your point. Sometimes I see a pet as extra work that I'm paying for. I work to work more. It's weird. Love the dog, but if I think too much about it I wonder why do we do this to ourselves as human beings.

But it's fun to give this little pup a good life. I should appreciate that more, haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Nah, I'm not struggling at all. I live cheap as shit (less than $50 a week on food) and even have a little left over to save at the end of the month.

$2400 a month (income)
-----
$1000 to rent
$1000 to student loans
$160 to utilities (internet + electricity + phone, no cable, phone paid off)
$150 to food (no eating out)

Leaves about $100 a month after that. I'll usually spend half of that on comic books/video games/whatever else for entertainment, save the rest. And I have a solid cushion of savings, too, a few thousand as an emergency fund.

I could move, but I'm already spending 2 hours a day commuting. I could get a new job, but I don't really want to - I'd rather have less money.

But yeah, with that a pet is out of the question. I couldn't give it a good life. And if I can't at 50k, I have no idea how people making less than me manage.
I see, you weren't exactly clear on pre/post tax - that along with your rent and loan repayments makes more sense now.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
Erm, what, this is the most bizarre thing I've ever read in my life, and I've read a lot of bizarre things on the Internet over the years.

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I've had dogs through my entire life.

They're great companions that will give you a ton of love both ways.
I love asking in an exciting voice if my dog wanna go with me to the beach, he just goes crazy wild with joy, then we wander of to the beach and I get some anti-depressive energy in my life that money rarely can give otherwise.

It also gives you meaning and purpose in life. Having authority and control of another living being is a major responsibility. Sure it's not a child/human. But I've not met the right person I want a baby with yet, so a dog will have to do and it feels great.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017

I understand that feeling and when I am going through the loss of a pet I think that way too but in reality even though the loss is sad and horrible, they add so much to life that it makes that sadness and distress worth it.

I had to put my 14.5 year old cat to sleep this past August. I won't lie, it was rough, she had cancer and I had to put her to sleep the same week I found out, I cried for literal days. However, she gave me 14.5 years of companionship, amusement and love. She was my lap cat, always wanted to be with me and was the sweetest cat ever. I still miss her, making this post makes me sad that she is no longer here but I am also so happy that I got her from a shelter and gave her an awesome life and had her for 14 years. She added so much to my life.

As hard as it is, part of life is loss but you are missing out on so much if you always think about the day you will lose them. My other 3 cats are seniors as well, I know that realistically they will not be around much longer either but I am just happy for everyday I have with them and I know that when they are gone, I will cry for days and then adopt more because they add so much and my life is better with them in it.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

For me my decision was made thanks to my childhood, I was bought up always having dogs, my dad had dogs when he was growing up and decided to do the same for me.

I look back on my childhood and will always remember basically having two best friends who never left my side, I remember the days on which they died was probably the most heart breaking thing that had happened to me. It taught me a lot about loss and how to cope with it.

As soon as I was financially able I went and got two dogs of my own, again the loss of those two were heart breaking but life goes on, we took a couple of years off in between but decided that we like to bring up our kids around dogs so and I've now go two more.

Realistically they aren't that expensive, food, insurance, vaccinations don't really cost that much. The toys they play with they have had for years, to be honest they generally just ignore them and would rather chase a ball or just play tug with something.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of vet visits and grooming my dog barely cost anything. And she's a constant companion and love sponge. You're way off base here, OP

this. my dog less cost the year that I got her then my switch and games did.

also if you have the resolve, you can learn to do the grooming yourself and save yourself tons of money after the initial investment

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Companionship and or being a parent to non human children. With my kitty I have my mom babysit when I have to be away for a little, and I miss her all the time. You just get connected to these animals and will do anything for them. For some, a cat or dog is their best friend.

And besides the once a year vet trip for shots and buying food and litter, the cat is pretty cheap. Plus, she can take care of herself most of the time unless I'm gone for like a week.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah I remember being in college and never having more than $100 in my checking account. Pets would've seemed silly back then... if I hadn't had an awesome dog in high school.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
honestly I think everyone whos college age just need to be tagged on the message board as such, since their opinions on basic life things are ridiculous and undeveloped.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pets provide companionship and a sense of purpose. They aren't that expensive on average either, unless something goes seriously wrong. There is plenty of research to show that they improve mental health and state of mind.

I have always had pets, so it's hard for me to understand your mindset, OP.

Oct 25, 2017
OP starts by saying you don't actually love your pet when you get it and need to buy the love because it takes time yet then says we will call him out for not knowing what love is.

Yup you don't.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only way to experience absolute unconditional love.
Even your own children will one day insult you, spit on you or even worse, and when they'll be big enough you'll be nothing more than an afterthought.
(Also, having children is just selfish and terrible, there's already too much people on this rock.)

Really this is a dumb or terribly naive question, what's your experience with life OP ?
People from every social background or financial standingvhave pets, it has NOTHING to do with money.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
It's ok to not want or like pets. (Now actually hating animals...those people have problems)

I've had dogs and cats, but in my case having kids AND pets just adds to the number of things you have to care for. Also, medical bills on some pets are rough, a friend just spent $3k on his dog's hips and surgery. Absolutely no way I'd add that possibility to my life.

Fiancee wants a dog though, she loves dogs as much (or more than) humans. We have 3 kids (including a newborn) so a dog is going to wait at least a year. I told her she does not want to have to take care of an infant and a dog. I gave my dogs away to good people when we had my first 2 daughters. One of the other factors was I wasn't chancing an accidental injury to my children from a pet that doesn't know any better.

As for cost OP, a pet is just like having kids. Do not get (have) one that is "expensive"** if you can't afford it and do not get one if you can't care for it/love it. They can be great little friends/companions if you need them though.

I love kids way more than animals, so I'm good. I do NOT recommend the OP try kids anytime soon, lol.

** I mean, a Goldfish and a tank can be had for like $20...soooo.

Last edited: