• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also depends on the pets too, bigger pets mean more costs.

We have two chihuahuas (2.9 lbs and 9 lbs) and a himalyan cat (12 lbs).

Dry dog food for both is like 45 bucks and lasts 3 months ( Acana small breed )
Cats dry food for year is like 50 bucks from Costco (IAMS)
Cats litter (50lbs) 8 bucks lasts about 2 months maybe?
5 weeks of wet Cat food about 30 bucks
Teeth cleaning treats for the dogs about 80 bucks for 2 month supply
Teeth cleaning treats for the cat about 12 bucks for 1 month supply.
Vet bills for all if everything is okay for all of them about 300 a year.

We're in Canada and Wife and I both make over a 100k a year.

SolidSeminole

Oct 25, 2017
Until you have one, I guess it's hard to understand.. but I lived my childhood without ever owning a pet. It wasn't till the last 10 years that I ever owned an animal. I can say that one of the joys I have of going home (besides seeing my wife and kiddos) is my dog greeting me and getting to see him so excited. He is worth it to me and part of the family.. the little shit head. :)

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
This thread has really been somethin else entirely I mean man............ scary even.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
It's the only way to experience absolute unconditional love.
Even your own children will one day insult you, spit on you or even worse, and when they'll be big enough you'll be nothing more than an afterthought.
(Also, having children is just selfish and terrible, there's already too much people on this rock.)

Really this is a dumb or terribly naive question, what's your experience with life OP ?
People from every social background or financial standingvhave pets, it has NOTHING to do with money.

Geez I feel for you AND the OP. What miserable perspectives and experiences you seem to both have.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the OP has not in any way changed my initial response to the title except for now I'd maybe make a joke about that sociopath part

Explaining yourself didn't do you any of the favors you think it did, man

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also disagree with "you don't love a pet before you spend substantial time with it". It sounds weird, but I've loved every dog I've had right off the bat. When you know, you know.

Yep.

Man, pets choose as us just as much as we choose them. The connection pet owners feel with pets they adopt when they're out looking is very real.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
I really like dogs, but I agree with OP, it's too much of a hassle to take care of them.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
To show another living thing love and affection? Would you rather them be out on their own out in the elements fending for themselves?

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
OPs got it all figured out.

The big time pet food and toy industries got you fooled! You don't really love your animals.

Wake up, sheeple!

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't think this topic was ever going to generate much meaningful discussion. People get very defensive and emotional when pets are involved.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Because pets are great companions.

My dog is my dawg. My running buddy every morning. My wife's security blanket at night. My son's monster hunting sidekick.

OP sounds miserable

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Beep beep bop....errr.. I mean I am not a robot
main-qimg-f2991a22e850f67d18f4789c5dd98358

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
My cat is my best friend. I recently lost my car to a car accident and I had a realization that I'd rather lose my 30,000 vehicle than my cat.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
You probably spent more on the last game you bought that I spent on my cats last month.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I couldn't imagine life without my cats. they make life much more interesting, the games they play with each other and how friendly they are with everybody.
I spend a decent amount on them and it's always worth so that they are healthy and happy. what's wrong with you OP?

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I had pets far before I had any expendable money. So no.

I love animals. That's it.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a dog because I could go out and murder 32 people and come home absolutely bathed in blood, and she is still going to greet me at the door excited as hell with a wagging tale thrilled to see me when I get home. That kind of loyalty is hard to find elsewhere for any price.

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
My dog is 17 years old. Patterdale Terrier. Got him when I was 15 in England.

He's been my absolute best friend. He's seen me grow up and become a man, get a wife and daughter. He's been with me thick and thin... He's been there for my parents when I went off to school and lived in places that couldn't take pets. He licks my daughter's tears when she cries... Or he did anyway. Duke is now blind and deaf and he is in his last days. I will weep like a baby when I eventually have to bury him.

But that type of companionship is difficult to put a value on.

I have a dog because I could go out and murder 32 people and come home absolutely bathed in blood and she is still going to greet me at the door excited as hell with a wagging tale thrilled to see me when I get home. That kind of loyalty is hard to find elsewhere for any price.
😂 True

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
We recently rescued a dog. We've been wanting one for a while for a variety of reasons, and while our lives have changed since we rescued, I'd say it's for the better. Now that we have this responsibility, we can't just go out all the time, which means we're spending less money going out to the bars and concerts. Our dog has a lot of energy, and we started running with her. So we run a mile a day, and it's been great for my physical and mental health. Since we got her we don't ride our bikes as much, so it is nice being able to get some physical activity in every day.

We met her once and fell in love with her. She was rescued from a high kill shelter in Texas and brought to Colorado, and was being fostered by a co-worker. Co-worker knew we were wanting to adopt a puppy, and asked if we wanted to meet her. After we met her, we did everything to get her, and we did, and it's been amazing since. Sure, she has her puppy moments, but she is a sweetheart, and you can have the absolutely shittiest day at work, but when you get home and she's so excited to see you, you just instantly forget about your bad day at work.

It's the absolute best when we're having a lazy Saturday and she snuggles up next to me while I'm playing on my Switch.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have a golden retriever.

Man, best decision i made in my entire life

Hes so loving and everything, i dont know how to describe him. Is true love

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
What part made you react exactly ?
I'm stating facts here : o
I'm gonna assume it's this:
Even your own children will one day insult you, spit on you or even worse, and when they'll be big enough you'll be nothing more than an afterthought.
(Also, having children is just selfish and terrible, there's already too much people on this rock.)
The part in the brackets I can kinda understand (but disagree), but if you think the first part is a fact, then Strangiato is absolutely right, that's a terrible perspective and probably related to terrible experiences.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I always assumed this was the reason, since most people with pets are in relationships or got their pets during relationships. Sorry if this was already posted.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
But yeah, with that a pet is out of the question. I couldn't give it a good life. And if I can't at 50k, I have no idea how people making less than me manage.

We have 2 cats and they live a luxury life. With 60-70% meat wet cat food, 5 scratching posts spread across the flat, 100 qm at their disposal and plenty of cat tv.

We spend probably 200 bucks a month, but not because we have to, but because we want to (excluding pet insurance).

You can have a cat and feed it unhealthy low meat content food for 0.37 the can or go for 1.30-5.00 cat food with high quality content. You dont need scratching posts, especially if you are fine with scratching marks all over your furniture.

You can maintain a cat for 25 bucks a month, or spend 1 million because you need the latest diamond collar from the aristoCAT collection.

Is the quality of life with 25 bucks okay? It's better than a dead cat because nobody feels responsible.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
My cats are a fucking riot and I knew they would be the moment I saw them dangling from the cat tree like freakish circus rejects at the rescue. Knew I needed to have them when the rescue told us they'd been taken back once for being a handful. It's not like people just adopt pets blindly. Animals are pretty easy to understand from the get-go.

In relation to other life expenses as a college grad, I spend a ridiculously absurd amount more on useless steam games I'll never play in comparison to my extremely awesome pets. For some people adopting and fostering pets can be a vice - my mother is like that, she runs a pet business back where I grew up after years of fostering (and adopting any of the failed fosters) - but for most sane people a few pets both aren't going to break the bank and provide endless hours of affection and hilarity.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I would never allow an animal in my house. Pets are given too much importance imo.

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the positive effect pets can have on someones life, but my problem with it is it's not a relationship between equals, if that makes sense.

A pet will always be dependent on you and you can never know with 100% certainty that the only reason it loves you is that you feed it.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
OP has to return some video tapes....

Seriously pets offer companionship for little cost. I have a full family and two cats. My children are kinder and more responsible for having grown up around animals. I also think that humans have a responsibility to care for animals wherever possible.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
The part in the brackets I can kinda understand (but disagree), but if you think the first part is a fact, then Strangiato is absolutely right, that's a terrible perspective and probably related to terrible experiences.

I'll admit it's poorly phrased, what I meant to say was more :
Treat people right all your life, they'll still hurt and betray you. Treat animals right, and you'll have the most faithful of companions.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the positive effect pets can have on someones life, but my problem with it is it's not a relationship between equals, if that makes sense.

A pet will always be dependent on you and you can never know with 100% certainty that the only reason it loves you is that you feed it.

That's bologna/such a depressing lens to use to view things. Watch some videos of dogs reunited with their old owners. Hell, my dog loves my wife's sister (who has never fed him) and hates my mom (who has fed him).

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
WTF OP?

I read the OP and yeah you do sound like an asshole and a bit of a sociopath.

Oct 27, 2017
That's bologna/such a depressing lens to use to view things. Watch some videos of dogs reunited with their old owners. Hell, my dog loves my wife's sister (who has never fed him) and hates my mom (who has fed him).

It may be a sad view of things, but it's better to project more into pets than they really are like some people do.