• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
"Pets are over-glorified when they are said to be more or equally important as humans."

"I would never allow an animal in my house."

I feel like there's a huge gap in your statements here. Like, on one end you're saying don't put your pet over your kid (I don't think anyone seriously would do that) and that makes sense but then your other statement just makes it sound like you simply despise pets on principle.

I don't despise pets. A few of my friends have pets and I play around with the dog or cats when I'm there.

But I would never want an animal in my house.

When I was single and my potential date would say they have pets, that would be a deal breaker for me. No matter how hot they were. I even prefered smokers over pet owners.

I personally find it disgusting when I see pets on sofa's or in beds, or on any house furniture. I would never be able to sleep in that house.

Last edited:

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like dogs but they depend on the owner. I personally just don't care enough to have one in my house. Don't have the time or inclination.

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
People get cats because they're adorable and awesome.

I don't know why anyone gets a dog.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
When I was living with a partner having a dog around was great. They're lovable and stupid and loyal, and walking them and playing with them with a partner was fun. But after being single, and having to take it to doggy daycare or whatever when I was at work, got to be taxing and it was stressing the dog. So I gave him away to a family that already had other dogs and kids so he was never alone.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
My condolences. Are you getting a third cat to provide companionship for the second cat?
Nope, we're satisfied with our little prince and princess. They're enough of a handful as it is, and provide each other (as well as my brother, mother, and I) with a suitable amount of company.

We'll see what happens down the line. They're seven years apart so if the big guy hangs it up sooner than expected, we may try to save another cat in order to fill the void. I hope that decision is a far ways off.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't despise pets. A few of my friends have pets and I play around with the dog or cats when I'm there.

When I was single and my potential date would say they have pets, that would be a deal breaker for me. No matter how hot they were. I even prefered smokers over pet owners.

I personally find it disgusting when I see pets on sofa's or in beds, or on any house furniture. I would never be able to sleep in that house.
Big yikes

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, seems fair? Definitely not a yikes take. A lot of people are very particular about their hygiene.

That's fair but it's still going to be a big yikes for me. I'm not really judging him I just can't wrap my head around it because I grew up with animals everywhere a, I don't remember a single time before age 10 that we had less than 10 dogs. It just seems like part of life to me so the idea of not being able to tolerate one in your house is completely foreign to me

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Thank you, that was hilarious.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, someone demanding you hand feed them isn't a deal breaker, but owning a pet is?

Different strokes for very different folks.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

I hope you tell your friends that their house is disgusting.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
What is the point of having money if you don't spend (some of) it on things you enjoy? Life isn't a clicker, spend that shit.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017

Do your friends allow their pets on their furniture?

Its intresting how different people are. I'd never date a smoker or someone who didn't want pets. Thankfully my husband loves animals as much as I do. Our 3 cats sleep on the bed every night and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
My mom and dad have a cat. When you are old and can't be as active as you used to, it's nice having a pet around to spend time with. It's not like they want more kids in the house at their age.

I wish we could have pets where we live, instead I have to make do with my plants and feeding the hummingbirds and owls outside. :)

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pets don't have to be expensive... Kinda dumb premise.

Get a pet rat or rescue an older dog or cat.

Oct 30, 2017
I would argue you (OP) are bored, and think way too much about what other people do with their money. I recently buried a 13 year old Pom we had, amazing dog. Tomorrow I'm picking up a mini Australian Shepherd and have never been so excited for a new pet. Most of my life pets were either my parents, or my wife's before we met, or just after. This is the first dog I've ever got on my own will that will primarily be for me (and the family, but he's my boy!)

Picking up tomorrow, named him Gambit.

0RWNq1e.jpg

9gX213E.jpg

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I would argue you (OP) are bored, and think way too much about what other people do with their money. I recently buried a 13 year old Pom we had, amazing dog. Tomorrow I'm picking up a mini Australian Shepherd and have never been so excited for a new pet. Most of my life pets were either my parents, or my wife's before we met, or just after. This is the first dog I've ever got on my own will that will primarily be for me (and the family, but he's my boy!)

0RWNq1e.jpg

9gX213E.jpg
HOLY SHIT HE IS PRECIOUS!!! What an absolute cutie.

I am so jealous. T_T

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017

0RWNq1e.jpg

9gX213E.jpg

Your new puppy is super cute!

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, seems fair? Definitely not a yikes take. A lot of people are very particular about their hygiene.

Nah, definitely big yikes. Kismet just called a solid 90% of pet owners disgusting because they let them sit on the couch with them. I don't know anyone who doesn't do that - even when I go around friend's houses, the cat or dog'll often jump on the chair I'm sitting on and snuggle on my lap. In my own home I'll happily sit on the floor with my dog or she'll sit on the couch with me. We have covers for the chairs and stuff so she can't tear the leather by accident but that's as far as it goes.

It's just how it is with the furballs. I don't think I could ever be so distant with them as not to do stuff like that.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well that is irrational as fuck.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair but it's still going to be a big yikes for me. I'm not really judging him I just can't wrap my head around it because I grew up with animals everywhere a, I don't remember a single time before age 10 that we had less than 10 dogs. It just seems like part of life to me so the idea of not being able to tolerate one in your house is completely foreign to me

Super yikes

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

Fuck

Pray for kismet

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I have two dogs and I didn't get them because "I was bored with having money". I just love animals and they love to give that love back.

Whether it's me, my wife or my daughter, we love walking in the door and seeing those tails wagging because to those little bundles of joy the greatest part of their lives just walked in the door and as a result they shower us with love.

OP needs a dog.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of making a mountain out of a molehill. You get some dog food, supplies and you're good for the most part. Take em to the spca once in a while for shots and stuff. It's hardly putting anyone in the poor house.

Oct 30, 2017
HOLY SHIT HE IS PRECIOUS!!! What an absolute cutie.

I am so jealous. T_T
Thanks, I'm stoked for sure. I've wanted a merle aussie for probably about 15 years but never really had the space to properly house one, nor the work/lifestyle to be able to exercise right. The stars, the tide or whatever all finally aligned so I'm diving in.

Your new puppy is super cute!
Thanks, I"m kind of biased but I totally agree lol. I've bought him so many toys already and am planning on getting him socialized and into some kind of training within the next few weeks. He's an aussie afterall, so he's going to be a challenge.

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but I'm like 18 hours from picking this guy up and had to post pics lol.

And I'm sure they will all say how those pets improve their standard of living. Love goes a long way.

Here my bundles of joy. Even put sheets on the couch for those who worry about hygiene.

pa8XqmR.jpg

I also have a lab/german shepherd mix who looks like yours, amazing dogs. Maybe the best chill, loyal kind of family dog for sure.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I also have a lab/german shepherd mix who looks like yours, amazing dogs. Maybe the best chill, loyal kind of family dog for sure.

Indeed. She's so incredibly well behaved and friendly. Everyone who ever comes to the house loves her.

She likes everyone as well, although the pup can drive her nuts since they are total opposites. The lab likes to lounge and the Mini Schauzer is super hyper.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Hygienic reasons are to protect your health. I have never heard of a person who didnt suffer from asthma or specific pet allergies who got sick because of pets using furniture.

Smoke on the other hand... there have been more than enough studies that have shown that even passive smoking is dangerous for you. Be it cancer or other lung related problems.

If they are free roaming cats its different, as they may bring in worms or what not — even that may happen without cats too. Aristocats/inside only cats dont have those dangers.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

If a woman approached me with your perspective, that would be a major deal breaker.

Last edited:

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
While that thread filled with people getting really angry about suits will always be peak Era to me, this thread is pretty up there

Nah the anti-pet people in here dwarf the anti-suit people in terms of raw disconnect from ordinary human experience and understanding. It's like they came down from another planet just to talk about how BEEP BOOP the humon social rituals do not compute BEEP BOOP.

Oct 30, 2017
Indeed. She's so incredibly well behaved and friendly. Everyone who ever comes to the house loves her.

She likes everyone as well, although the pup can drive her nuts since they are total opposites. The lab likes to lounge and the Mini Schauzer is super hyper.
I feel like this will be my life starting tomorrow.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I grew up with pets in the house but as an adult with my own house I've banned them. It's not like I don't like them it's just that I don't want to spend the time or money on one.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Preach on brother. I've never been into a dog owner's home that didn't smell like dog. The thought of a bed smelling like dog because it sleeps there grosses me out. Cat litter boxes are pretty disgusting as well. It's literally a box with poop and pee in it. Oh and pet hair all over the place... yuck.

To me, the only pets that are acceptable in a home inhabited by humans are animals that live in their own container and never leave. eg: aquarium, terrarium etc.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
My cousin has a bird. I thought it was cute and clean looking, until he told me that the bird flies around the house and poops everywhere. The poo's are very small, but still.

I don't think any pet is suitable for me. Fish will die after two days, I think.

My bf is my pet, I guess. He's very hairy and also loves it when I rub his tummy. I'm fine with that.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK

Mate, you're are overlooking the fact that the world is in fact disgusting. You're focusing on what impact a pet has on that whilst ignoring that everything is disgusting - which is fine by the way, we have pretty boss immune systems luckily

It makes about as much sense to swear off human contact than it does pet contact

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Mate, you're are overlooking the fact that the world is in fact disgusting. You're focusing on what impact a pet has on that whilst ignoring that everything is disgusting - which is fine by the way, we have pretty boss immune systems luckily

It makes about as much sense to swear off human contact than it does pet contact

It's true that we're surrounded by filth everywhere when we go outside. I have no power over that.

But I'm glad I can decide what happens in my house.