• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The best looking SNES?

• American SNES

Votes: 441 21.8%
  • European SNES

Votes: 1,583 78.2%

• Total voters

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Question here

Did the European controller with different colored face buttons have the indent or concaveness to the top buttons like the NA one did? If not, I would say EU was better looking but NA got the better design

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Wow people think the Super Famicom looks good? American design all the way. The grey and purple is sexy.

Nov 8, 2017
It's a major downgrade over the JP/PAL SNES which look much sleeker and are physically smaller. The controllers too, even though I do like the idea of the convex + concave buttons, the coloured variants look better.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest issue is that some games used the SFC button colors to indicate actions. See Link to the Past's menus or the yellow cape in Mario World communicating you must run to start flying. You lose that context with the purple buttons. The SFC demonstrated how intentional Nintendo was in their design. The US version throws that away. It feels clumsy.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I like the body of the SFC but I like the controller of the NA.
yuuuuuup
My biggest issue is that some games used the SFC button colors to indicate actions. See Link to the Past's menus or the yellow cape in Mario World communicating you must run to start flying. You lose that context with the purple buttons. The SFC demonstrated how intentional Nintendo was in their design. The US version throws that away. It feels clumsy.
dammmmn this a good point.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
re-100-vigna-ghina%2B%25283%2529.jpg

I like it. What's more important to me though is the controller, the 2 convex + 2 concave buttons >>>>>>>>>>>> 4 Convex by a long shot

Very nice Vigna Ghina

European SNES is far superior in design.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love my chunky VCR with the purple. It felt weirdly modern for the early 90s.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a big looker.

But the aesthetics gap between JPN/US SNES is infinitely smaller than the Famicom/NES. Jesus the American NES was fugly

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The American SNES is a stain on humanity's history.

The Super Famicom and European SNES are timeless design classics.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question here

Did the European controller with different colored face buttons have the indent or concaveness to the top buttons like the NA one did? If not, I would say EU was better looking but NA got the better design

Only the US/NA version had the concave buttons. I like that feature as well, but in every other way the Euro SNES/JP SFC looks better.

Losing the fully color-coded buttons was quite a blow, and the curves of the original design are appealing.

That said, the US design wasn't ugly. Certainly not the way the Famicom was.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a big fan of the US SNES design, but i dont really mind it. I do prefer the european/japanese design however :)

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The American SNES is the best design of the system. The Super Faicom and European SNES are ugly as hell.

Ghostie

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2019
I have to say it does like a mini transformer waiting to do a surprise attack.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about the console but the controller looks horrendous, who thought up this color scheme ? The EU colors are beautiful.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's slick as fuck. I like the purple and grey a lot. I don't really care for the other versions or even the revised model.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Super Famicon is one of the ugliest consoles ever made, of course the U.S. version looked better.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The JP/EU design is literally the blandest thing ever. No character, no distinguishing features. Completely unmemorable. How anyone could like it over the iconic US model is baffling to me, but then again so many people on this board have a goddamned heart attack whenever a game cover features anything but a flat logo and a character silhouette, or when a PC part or peripheral happens to feature LED lights, so it just feels like y'all are pretentious fucks who are ashamed to accept your expensive toys for what they are...

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Euro here, i prefer the original US snes to the european version and super famicon.

That being said, the revised version is ugly af.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I like the American one. I like purple. But like, they're all pretty good, I like 'em. This feels like a Hannibal's Pretzels situation and I'm kinda baffled that people have strong opinions.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I didn't even know that was a thing.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The Euro/Japanese design is so much nicer looking, it's not even funny. It's so much more sleek. Nothing to do with the colour scheme, I quite like the purple, but the boxy design of the US version is ugly.
There's contrast on the EU version, the power and reset buttons are nicer (though I prefer the US eject button being low profile), the cartridge flap is nicer shaped, it has nicer lines. This talk of the US version having more character is ludicrous, it's mostly featureless and angular. Take away the purple colouring and you could mistake it for a piece of late 70's office equipment, or some contraption stuck to the side of a dentist's chair.

Want a grey and boxy-ish console that looks good?
img1-29890.jpg