• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The best looking SNES?

• American SNES

Votes: 441 21.8%
  • European SNES

Votes: 1,583 78.2%

• Total voters

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I like the color scheme of the Americans better. It's new and different. The European console one just looks weird.. the colors on the controllers on the other hand looks great.

But tbh both consoles are ugly as fuck lol

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Yes is really ugly... really. I cant understand how they designed it so badly... and why...

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
SFC/PAL SNES is one of my favorite console designs of all time.

US SNES lack those curves that made the Mega Drive and the SFC feel so new and next-gen at the time.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any design iterations apart from the first two? Like, no super late revision? The Super Famicom was in production until 2000 IIRC.

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
I'm probably biased being from the UK, but I've always loved the European design and was jealous of my SNES-owning friends as a kid (we were a Mega Drive household). I've always felt the US redesign was coming from the same school of thought that gives us those "edgy gamer" angular PC mice and keyboards etc nowadays, which I've never really related to... so yeah, not for me. Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd grown up with it though?

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes it's ugly. As a European I bought one because of the horrible things Nintendo did to its PAL games in order to run them in 50hz, but aesthetically it's an ugly console when compared to the PAL Super Nintendo and the Super Famicom.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
It is just not that good-looking.

The european one is a way better looking console.

Also, they rounded joypads are better with the rounded console. They seem disjointed from the squared US console.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
European/Japanese design looks a lot nicer.

The American design looks kind of like a generic knockoff. It has all the functions there, but it doesn't feel like it has the heart and soul put into it.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
The light purplòe buttons seem to have received too much light and had decolorised

PAL/JPN Snes FTW.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely prefer the American design with the hard angles over the rounded Japanese/PAL one. The purple isn't great though, and the controller is definitely worse.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The US SNES is boxy and ugly and the use of colour is awful - and I say that as someone whose favourite colour is purple.

EU SNES wins handily.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Blows my mind that this is ever debated, it's almost like yank extreme patriotism takes over and they can't bring themselves to admit it.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think either is particularly great honestly. It's hard to not prefer the American one a bit just because I grew up with it, but looking at them side by side today I don't look at either and think "that's a great looking console"

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's just something a US Super NES with uh ... Super Mario World inserted into its uh ... slot that's so damn ... uh ... sexy though.

Like the US SNES isn't a conventionally "sleek" piece of hardware but there's just something about this:

SNES.jpg

That screams "the mother of all Christmas presents", lol.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It's not ugly, but the Super Famicom / PAL SNES is just better looking. Nintendo should have kept the design for all regions.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Blows my mind that this is ever debated, it's almost like yank extreme patriotism takes over and they can't bring themselves to admit it.
Its the same as metric vs imperial. Or celsius vs farenheit.
At least they have an excuse with the ugly box because its only a design, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But yeah the american box is ugly as sin. Always loved the use of red, yellow, blue and red on the japanese and european ones. When i was young i always used those 4 colours to draw letters and stuff in my drawings.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
There's just something a US Super NES with uh ... Super Mario World inserted into its uh ... slot that's so damn ... uh ... sexy though.

Like the US SNES isn't a conventionally "sleek" piece of hardware but there's just something about this:

SNES.jpg

That screams "the mother of all Christmas presents", lol.

take that ugly thing out of its misery

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I do have a nostalgia for it just because I've seen it for almost as long I've seen the proper version, I knew friends in school who had a US model so I've seen them up close, played them etc. But compared to SFC it's clearly the ugly sibling to me.

I'm not even sure what they were going for, often one might think designs are changed for the US market because the original might be perceived as too 'kiddy' but they went for that macho lavendar instead? I mean I like lavendar, but I don't see their reasoning behind going with the boxy Quentin Crisp scarf look.

You know what the real crime is though - that the US and European boxes are the inferior horizontal. The long SFC boxes were so cute and sexy.

Perry Simm

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I think it's a case of "The grass is always greener on the other side". I'm European, and I think the US SNES looks much cooler. The cartridges as well.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
I think the Euro one looks better, but when looking at the US one I wondered if it would look better in black

Looks a bit generic, but think it's an improvement (and resembles the dark Era theme?)

n2TTlbm.jpg

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
You can't imagine how confused I've been the first time I saw the US design of the console. It's just: huh?

The western redesign of the NES looked really good, though.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I like the look of the US one (maybe just because I like purple) but the European/Japanese one is just so much nicer.

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
I like the two-tone purple colour scheme of the Ess En E Ess, but the overall proportions and smoothness of the Snez makes it much nicer to look at.

Decision: Snez!

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
BUT hey, looks is not everything. PAL SNES was 50Hz, I'd pick the US just for 60Hz even if its casing was a trashcan. Running games at full speed > looks.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
One of the worst looking consoles I've ever seen.

It looks like a devkit/shitty mock-up before they came to their senses.

Blocky, ugly purples, random parts sticking out and look at the design/placement of the eject button.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I vastly prefer the European/Japanese look. The American console doesn't look straight-up bad in my eyes, it's passable but the controller, dear god... I really dislike the shade of X and Y and the concave buttons are just no in my opinion.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
1000% the EU, at first i looked at the US one and thought. Hmmm thats not too bad. Then i searched up the EU one and its far superior haha.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Looking at both on the shelf, neither of them are beauties: they're just serviceable.
The carts, both kinds, look great.
As for the buttons, I prefer the look of the NA SNES but the feel of the SFC.
The console buttons well, I like the SFC power n reset buttons better as they feel solid vs the instability of the NA SNES ones. Any way you play is good.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the NES over the Famicom but the US SNES is down there with the OG DS as an inherently ugly design.

PC Engine didn't fare much better in its transition to the TurboGrafx-16. Mega Drive got off lightly in that era of madness, although Genesis is still an uglier version of it

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I ignore nostalgia I like the blocky American console more and the concave buttons more.

However I prefer the 4 colored European controller color scheme.